Friday, September 14, 2007

Corner of the livingroom: An Antique Mirror

Here's a little corner of my livingroom that I thought you'd enjoy seeing. When you come in the frontdoor of our house & look up the stairs, this is what you see. This window treatment was made by my mom & luckily, I was able to find a window in this house to use it on when we moved. I originally had the floral fabric in my old den in GA & found the silk bee fabric at a yardsale way back when. Mom reworked it for me & turned it into this. I still love this treatment & with 2 of them, they work great on this single window at the top of the stairs.

I just love this antique mirror & it was really my first antique purchase about 20 years ago. Found it at an antique store in Chattanooga, TN, when I was up in that area visiting a friend of mine. We went in this dusty, cluttered shop where you had to dig around & look for things & this mirror was hiding. For $100, it was mine & I've had it ever since. The story was it used to be in an old saloon/bar in the late 1800's. I believe it....it has a great old patina & pretty etchings on the mirror.
This little Italian gilt table was a $10 yardsale find from GA. I found these pretty black urns at TJ Maxx & have a pair of them. The floral oil painting was painted by my hubby's grandmother & she gave it to us. My wall color here is Sherwin Williams, Whole Wheat, in case anyone wants to know! I have really enjoyed this color, it's a great backdrop for my fabrics.
I love these urns & I can use them in lots of places around the house.
Closeup of the iris oil painting.
Here's a better shot of the mirror. You can see the old etching with a blue/green color. It's so pretty!
Reflection of the foyer below.
Lots of yardsale accessories adorn the top. I did add that little wood shelf on top & screwed it down, so that I could put some things up there. Stained it to match the mirror.
Found the little black painting & velvet round box at a yardsale. The tole tray was from Ebay.
Here's a beautiful piece of crown molding that I got several years ago. It was too pretty to throw away, so I've carried around with me & it fits above this doorway going into the hallway.
I stained it too & love the detail of it. It really adds some architectural detail to this doorway.
Hope you enjoyed the little corner of the livingroom. It's fun to show you these areas up close & I'll feature more again later.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

38 friends stopped by:

Cottage Contessa said...

You have such a lovely home, and great style! I love popping in for a visit!

tammi said...

I think I've said it on almost every post -- you have great taste and a very beautiful home!! I can't believe you have CORNERS in your home to show off!! All my corners are either piled high with kids' toys or dust bunnies.

Christine Boles said...

I really enjoyed seeing these photos~ thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a neat mirror - love the etching and the story behind it. You're so lucky that your mom sews!! I want to borrow her LOL! I have to tell you Outrageous Bargains by the Big Chicken is GONE!! There's a law firm there now? I just went past the one in Kennesaw last week - hopefully it's still there! Those urns you got from TJ Maxx are fab-u-lous!
Manuela

Abbie said...

You mirror reminds me of the windowframe/mirror I saw on another bloggers page. It's beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.

Shirlee said...

Your antique mirror is gorgeous and what a great story behind it. The etchings really add to it's unique look. The black urn doesn't look "new" at all, it looks like an antique.

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
Everything looks beautiful. Your mom did a great job on the curtain.
Love the wall color too. It goes with all of your things so nicely.
Thanks for the tour!
Have a great weekend!
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Don't you love moms who can sew curtains? My mom has made stuff for me too. What a blessing that is! Your valance is lovely, really pretty! As is everything else. Clean, tidy and lots of great stuff to see. :-)

PAT said...

Hello Rhoda...Some of the best things are found while rummaging around the dusty back rooms of antiques shop. I love the mirror!

The window treatment is beautiful!

Pat

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I love the curtains, there beautiful and the mirror as well, what a perfect place for it. All the little things in your home are so pretty.

Nunnie's Attic said...

Oh my gosh, your home is absolutely lovely. It should be featured in Better Homes and Gardens or some swanky magazine like that. I am so impressed and jealous at the same time.

Love,
Julie

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Rhonda, I love your house and your decorating taste. I have the same taste in decorating. You put things together in little groupings much better than I do though. I don't want too much. I still have kids at home and translated for me. . . dusting, dusting and dusting everything. Just don't have all that time right now.

Blessings,

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ you have such beautiful taste!
Stay dry this weekend.

Cheryl Wray said...

Everything is just beautiful...

Anonymous said...

Awww, love those drapes. Your mom did a great job. I also lovvvve that mirror. Thanks for sharing your home :o) Diane

Claire Kennedy said...

Greeting,

I just adore your blog and your decor! Please check out my blog, I just got it up and running .
God Bless....
Claire Kennedy

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Lovely, as always. I particularly love those window treatments made by your mom. And the mirror, of course. And what a great idea about adding the shelf to the top of it! I'd better stop or this comment will end up being as long as your post! lol

candy said...

I love the first picture especially, of your window covering...sooo pretty!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hi Rhoda,
I almost said again, for the 100th time, you are soooo lucky your momma sews for you!!!!

I love seeing the "old" items in their new home. I really enjoyed your new pictures.
Donna

Adriann said...

Love your class and style! Thanks for sharing!!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh Rhoda, I love it all!

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Morning Rhoda! Your mom is such a talented sewer - love the valance and how it warms up that spot - the mirror is wonderful and the story behind it makes it even more special! Everything is always so pretty in your home! From the corners to the ledges, from the ceilings to the floors - it's all such a treat to see!
xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

I only thought I adored that mirror until I read that you had added the shelf yourself and stained it to match, and that I never knew it from the pictures until you told us.... Now I adore the mirror, *and* you. :) It's just perfect, and a great idea... thank you for the inspiration!

Michelle said...

Hey Rhoda, I always look forward to and enjoy seeing pictures of your home - these posts are probably my favorite out of them! I love how you share the details of the accessories and the stories of how you acquired them :) Looks like your mom is a talented seamstress; she did a beautiful job on the window treatment. Enjoy your weekend!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

wow...you have given me many, many ideas...putting a ledge on the top of a mirror for display is the best one...i am creating vignettes in my mind...now if i only can find some time to decorate...blessings, rebecca

Susie Q said...

Such a lovely home! I always say that
but it is so true!
Every corner is so delightful...
The mirror is gorgeous and such a lucky find.
You have such a keen sense of style.

Hugs,
Sue

willzmom said...

I really like the mirror. It's so nice to be able to take the things we love from place to place and make them work. Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Oh, this is so beautiful! Will you please come and help my house. Your home is so pretty and I do like that color of paint. I'll have to remember that because my two girls are always trying to get me to change my mauve painted bedroom. Thanks for showing this.

Andi said...

What a wonderful mirror!!! Your home is so pretty and your valance is beautiful. You're Mom did a fantastic job making it. I love getting to peek inside your home...thanks for sharing with us.

Kathleen Grace said...

I just love the print on the valences, your home is just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your home is beautiful and I just love it all.

savvycityfarmer said...

Looks the "Parade of Homes" to me

Mary said...

What a lovely home! Thanks so much for sharing, and I look forward to seeing more!!!
Mary

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Ummmmmm.....That mirror and that table......just my style! And the window treatment and the painting and the.....and the.....and the..... All of it!

BellaColle said...

Oh my gosh! I love the window treatment!! oh, well...I love it all if truth be told!LOL!! Your home is very lovely. I was just about to ask what color...and you so wisely provided the color name. It is such a warm color, and I'm on a hunt to 'warm' up my living room. Very nice..
And thank you for the link!! :-)

Debra from Bungalow said...

Really pretty Rhoda, I hadn't realized there was etching in that mirror. Love the valance from your previous house too. Very pretty!

Simply Me Art said...

Rhoda, Thank you for sharing your house again, I especially love the Crown Moulding above the door. The Mirror is Amazing too. Oh, the Catering Post was Great and so Inspirational and got lots of ideas. Thanks, Jamie

carole said...

That silk window treatment that your mom made is BEAUTIFUL!