Sunday, October 28, 2007

Yardsaling Bonanza

Was I excited when I opened the Yardsale section in the paper on Friday and saw that one of my favorite neighborhoods was having their Fall yardsale. Mt. Laurel is a really neat planned community on the outskirts of town, out in the woods. It has a real Craftsman feel to the homes & things are left very natural, with lots of rock walls, and pretty landscaping all around. The streets are set up like an old fashioned little town & as you enter Mt. Laurel you go through a small town square with shops & restaurants. Really neat concept. The homes have alleys in the back & that's where the garages are, so everyone opens their garages & has a sale right in the alleyway. I've been several times to their sales & always come home with plenty of loot. Saturday was no exception!
You can see the winding alleyways behind the houses. As you can tell, it's just getting light out. It's pretty tight quarters in here, so folks have to maneuver to get around. There's usually plenty of people shopping at their sales & they start bright & early at 7:00 a.m. I was there by 6:30. I am a yardsale junkie, I admit it.
Another shot of one of the streets with brick sidewalks.
An example of one of the houses. I didn't take too many of the neighborhood, I was too busy shopping!

So, it's still dark when I pull up to the first stop. This girl had some really neat things out there, pillows were kind of pricey. I spotted a 27" TV for my hubby's office & we quickly negotiated $40 for that. We are not high-tech people, so a regular tube TV is fine with us for now...we have not bit the bullet & bought any of the flatscreen Plasma or LCD TV's yet. Maybe one day when these all die. We are getting his office set up now that we have that nice big desk & he likes to stay tuned to all his finance & news channels during the day, so TV in there will come in handy, since he works at home. I'm loving getting all of his stuff in there (and out of the bedroom & den), so that it's not all over the house. He promptly moved in there after I got that big desk for him. And after today, I think we're about there! That was my first purchase. Now I'll show you all the stuff I saw, but didn't buy....see below.
This was a very nice all wood china cabinet/hutch for $75.00. Would be a great buy for someone.
This was an adorable kids bed with window treatments, rug, etc. Of course, this adorable bunny rug got my attention. It was $20. The bed was really cute too & had complete headboard, rails. Didn't get the price for the bed.
This pine piece was already sold for $75.00
Nice custom window treatment for $10.
Lots of dishware, good prices on these too.
More dishes. I just don't need any more!
Some old silver pieces. I doubt she'll get those prices marked for them.
This was a neat old mirror for $10 that came off a dresser.
Waterfall chest of drawers. Didn't see the price on it.
Of course, I did a doubletake on these 2 chairs, since I have 2 already. These were $10 each & nope, I didn't get them. No more room!
Cute little end table, I think it was around $20 maybe & that little slatback chair was $10.
This was an old wood hopechest, very well made for $40. That lady standing there bought it.
Lots of pillows & pretty birdcages.
Wine prints.
This was a pretty piece for $125.
Blue/white mosaic demilune table was $40.
Lots of blue/white pieces at this sale. I just don't have anymore room for this either.
I think this dropleaf table was $75.00.
OK, here's what else I bought. Just down the alley was this piece for $25. The new TV for hubby will fit in here perfectly & it even has storage. It's solid oak which I do not love, so I'll probably paint it. I'm thinking black would look good. Any suggestions?? It's going in his office with the deep blue walls, but black would probably look good with those other wood pieces in there. It's going to be an eclectic look.
And lastly, I found this old, but sturdy small wood bookcase for $10. It needs a little repair work & a new coat of paint, but will work fine for him to put books on. I'll probably just repaint it white & add a little trim to it. Let's see...with the new desk, TV, TV cabinet, bookcase, & window treatment, I've spent a grand total of $101.00 on his office so far. Not bad!

So, that was my haul for this weekend! I was really excited to find all these pieces for hubby's office. I think we are set now. There's no more room for more in there. He can get organized & hopefully keep it looking good. I've got a lot of painting in my future with the nightstand, bookcase & TV cabinet!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

40 friends stopped by:

Esther Sunday said...

Rhoda - I absolutely drooled over this post - can't believe the deals and good stuff! I LOVE the two white lamps in the first pic. Black would look very cook for the cabinet. If you don't like electronics showing, you would easily make a curtain to pull across when not in use in some type of manly fabric. $75. for the hutch? Am I dreaming? Love, Esther

Alice said...

I can't wait to see how these pieces look after their new paint.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Looks like a nice neighborhood, I love places like that.
I spotted those blue & white bunnies quickly.....so cute!
You did good as usual & we're all waiting for the reveal.
Sat morn we had downpours so no ysing up here.

Hugs, DebraK

Fran said...

You did good! Can't wait to see it painted and trimmed and arranged.

Fran

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
What a sale!! You always amaze me.
You find the best stuff. Your lunch looked like so much fun.
I feel like I have been away for so long. We just got back from my daughter's wedding weekend. I just put the first pictures on my blog.
I want to go yardsaling with you someday.
Rosemary

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
What a sale!! You always amaze me.
You find the best stuff. Your lunch looked like so much fun.
I feel like I have been away for so long. We just got back from my daughter's wedding weekend. I just put the first pictures on my blog.
I want to go yardsaling with you someday.
Rosemary

Betty said...

Rhoda,
Great finds....I'm sure the office will end up in the Birmingham newspaper!

We were in Sweetwater, TN a few years ago and went to a wonderful, posh neighborhood to a walk-about yard sale...great stuff...Betty

Free Art Printables said...

I would definately paint it black and then distress the edges. That way when it gets a little chipped, it will only look better! Put up pictures when you do it! I'd love to see it.

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Cool Neighborhood.....Great Sale......I'm tired just thinking about all the fun you had :-)

Sue said...

Looks like you struck gold again! The white bed is pretty but I really love the rabbit rug in front of it. We used to carry that line of rugs at my old store and I'm sick that I never got one for our house.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Great stuff. I only wish I could have joined you.

I would definately paint that TV cabinet black. I would also paint the book shelves the same black though, instead of white. It would look "manly" and more of a library look.

Blessings,

Sher

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Rhonda, What a wonderful neighborhoon to yard sale in! And you got such great buys too. I think black would look great on the tv cabinet!
Penny

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I am sure those pieces will be stunning when you finish them. Mary

Cottage Contessa said...

Wow Rhoda, what a beautiful neighbourhood! My heart is doing flip flops over the little round end table with doors at the front of it!! You've done an amazing job furnishing your hubby's office for $100. I'll bet he's so proud of you!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Anonymous said...

I love your yardsaling posts! That pine armoire was amazing. Like you, I think the silver prices were a little over the top--I can get the same thing at the local thrift store for $1 or $2. And I also love those old-fashioned communities--neat! ~A :-)

Sandy McTier Designs said...

I always love to come by on Monday a.m. and see what finds you have found over the weekend at yard sales! Amazes me what people get rid of since I'm a hoarder of everything. Great prices of some too high on others! Looking forward to seeing your makeovers on the pieces that you purchased.

have a fabulous week.
Blessings,
Sandy

Mary said...

Oh, what fun! That's a beautiful neighborhood, and I can almost feel your excitement at 6:30 am! I have two of those Duncan Phyfe chairs, too, from my aunt. I recently saw some in an antiques mall for $90. each!

Thanks for the tour!
xoxo,
Mary

Elle Jay Bee said...

Wow! What great yardsales you get to!! I was a little distracted by the pictures of those beautiful houses (I love Craftsman style), but ther esure were some great deals!!

Good girl for exercising restraint. It's hard isn't it, but wehn you get to the point that you just don't need anything more, it's a necessity! That said, it does make things a little less exciting, doesn't it??

Have a great week,
Linda

Abbie said...

WHAO!!! WHAO!! WHAO!!
I'm almost proposing to buy a ticket to come out to that place next time they have a yard sell.
I love your eye for good stuff.

Lana Manis said...

You lucky duck! Glad you had fun shopping!

linda t said...

Thanks Rhoda for taking us yard saling with you!
I loved seeing all the deals out there.
I'm with you, I am so addicted to thrifting! Hey, could be worse!
Have a great week Rhoda!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

So funny, you know you lost me when you said....

So, it's still dark when I pull up to the first stop.

I'm happy to see you had a fun weekend though!
Donna

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, lots of good stuff as usual! It most be hard not to buy everything! That rug with the bunny and topiaries is the cutest thing ever! One of my office lamps is in that first picture! I think painting that piece black would be perfect for that cabinet.

Manuela

Susie Q said...

Just so much fun...I love all the pictures!
I look forward to seeing what you do with all the new items!
I would love to o yard saleing with you, the confirmed Queen!
Have a sweet week dear Rhoda!
Hugs,
Sue

Deserae said...

Wow!!! You really have some wonderful yard sales in your area!!! You found some real trasures....I can't wait to see them painted out and in the office!
~Des

Nunnie's Attic said...

That bookcase is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to put one on each side of my bed. Take the old bed frame down and just put the box spring and mattress on another wooden box (so to speak.) Slide the bed in between the 2 book cases. Top the cases with another piece of wood and frame it out in crown molding.

How's that sound??

Love,
Julie

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Never been to Mt. Laurel. Is it down Hwy. 280?

Julie said...

Wow - what a great sale!!

I am back to blogging and would love it if you could stop by and vote on something I am trying to make a decision about. Thanks!

slow poke kate said...

wow! treasures galore! Thanks for sharing :)

London Southern Belle
http://www.londonsouthernbelle.typepad.com/

Unknown said...

I love that neighborhood and all of the things you got. How do you get the big items home? Looks liek it was a good time!

CG said...

Rhoda-it's always fun to go with you on your yard saling adventures. Just curious what people think of you taking pics? Do they care or wonder why?

That neighborhood looks really pretty.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Well, I obviously chose the wrong sales to go to this weekend! I didn't realize Mt. Laurel was having it's sale. I talked to someone else who had been. She might have been the one who might the pine piece.

Justabeachkat said...

Beautiful neighborhood...wish I could go with you one moring.

Great finds too.

Hugs!
Kat

PAT said...

I'm looking forward to seeing Peter's office when you have it finished, Rhoda!

Pat

Diane said...

Hi Rhoda. Looks like you found lots of great treasures. That was a beautiful neighborhood. Thanks for the trip. Diane

Sandi McBride said...

Good grief, what a thrill to see all that great furniture...how disappointing that I wasn't there to purchase the mirror for my waterfall dresser (have the chest, too). We broke our mirror when we moved in the new house...could have cried...lol

He Knows My Name said...

the early bird gets the worm. did i see smoke coming out of a chimney at the end of the alley? love mt. laurel. looked it up on the internet. beautiful neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda....

Great finds....I think I'd paint both pieces the same color. The early bird does catch the worm huh ???

Nice post thanks for sharing !!

Kathy :)

Carrie said...

What an awsome garage sale -- and I guess there was no need to drive from one site to the other. Sure wish I could have been there.

Anonymous said...

I had the best time "virtual shopping" with you on your flea market adventure... Those lyre back chairs are exactly what I'm looking for-- I have two end tables and a coffee table I want to use for one of my rooms. A good price, too, at $10 a piece!

It will be fun to see what you do with your various purchases... you always find such good things.