Friday, November 2, 2007

Little Architectural Details

Sometimes it's the small little details that can make the difference in a home. I love older homes & even though we don't live in an older home, we have some pretty decent moldings & trim. Of course, I'd love more of those, so to add a little pizazz here and there, I've found little ways to add some extra special details around this place. My dad built this old pine cabinet that is now in my laundryroom a LONG time ago. I spotted it outside under his carport one time and even though it was really hideous looking after he took it down from his utility room, I had him add some crown molding to the top of it. I knew I could make it pretty & it would be a perfect cabinet for my laundryroom makeover last year. I went to Lowes & picked up the small rope trim, mitered it & added it to the front of the door. Really makes a difference in sprucing up an old ugly cabinet. A new coat of paint & it changes the whole look of it.

When we moved in this house, the previous owner had tiled the countertops & backsplash in the kitchen with tumbled marble tile. This little area had always bugged me, as the tile on top was left unfinished, so I went back to Lowes & picked up this stone rope edging & added it by glueing it on with Liquid Nails. I still need to find some grout & add that in the crevices too, but it already looks much better.



















You've seen a pic of this before, but this is a very fine piece of crown molding that I picked up several years ago. Fell in love with it & brought it with me to this house & it found a home above one of the doorways into the hall. I just love the extra little detail it adds to the doorway. I stained & layered the colors on it to bring out all the details.




















This is one of a pair of corbels I added in the Diningroom doorway & it also adds some extra special architectural interest. These are actually resin, but I glued them in place with Liquid Nails. Painted them the same color as the trim & did a glaze over them.


















This is a little shelf that's above the sink where I display my green Bordallo dishes. It also had a straight plain edge & I used an extra piece of rope molding that was left from the laundryroom cabinet project to finish it off. Again, just a simple thing can make a difference. I glued it on with woodglue. I just measured that white bookcase I found last weekend at the yardsale & I'll be adding some rope molding down the sides of it too. That will make it look great, I think!


















This is the area right above that shelf & I've also added some simple wood appliques to this portion of the cabinets. These are so easy to add & put a little glaze on to bring out the pretty detail.


















The fireplace too was just plain in the front, so I added this wooden applique, painted & glazed.























Here's one of my kitchen chairs that I painted black & also added some wooden appliques on those. It was fun to spruce up the backs of these chairs. I got a lot of my ideas from my friend, Donna, at The Decorated House. She's a master at all of this stuff, from faux painting to adding lots of architectural details. If you haven't visited her blog, you need to. She's been very generous over the years to share her knowledge & she's a great artist with such an eye for detail.























One small thing that can make a huge difference, the electrical plates stood out like a sore thumb when we moved in...can you imagine about 8 of these around the backsplash all in white? It was very distracting, not to mention ugly, so I took out my craft paints & matched them up to the backsplash & faux painted these. It's SO much better!


















Another simple architectural small shell detail on the curtain rod in our master bedroom. I think I used wire on the back of this to hold it in place. I love how elegant it looks, yet simple.


















And these iron pieces I picked up at Lakewood Antiques in Atlanta a few years ago. They are really heavy & I put them up with some screws. They highlight the door & window in the greatroom.

These are just a few ideas on how to add a few interesting architectural details around your home too, even if you're not blessed with having a house with moldings in abundance. Just a few little things like this can make a huge difference, so look around and see if you have anywhere to add some of these! Hope you all have a great weekend. I'm going to get some painting done this weekend, at least that's the plan! That & watching Alabama football!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

31 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

I love all those little touches! I never thought about adding those things to chairs - great idea! Donna's home is a wonder! There's so much wonderful inspiration there.

Have a great weekend!

Manuela

Vonda said...

Okay Rhoda, would you like to fly to Europe to help me with our home in Germany??? Oh my word...you've got such a knack girl! Your home is so inviting and warm. Love ya -Vonda

Rosie's Whimsy said...

You have inspired me again. I took the first step to paint an old Ikea shelf in my sewing room but it is still "blah". Now I know what to do with it. Perhaps Hubby will take me to Lowes and well as the fabric store today. What fun!!

JacquiG said...

I just happened across your blog, and this post is amazing! What wonderful little touches you've added to your home. Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow Rhonda, that is all so Pretty. I have always loved old homes also,but like you I don't have one. I have been looking and picking up somethings to add to my home and now you have helped that urg. LOL

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda...Little details like these make all the difference in the world. They give a home a truly "finished" look. I love doing this too. Amazing how one small change can give a piece or wall, a whole new look!

Donna is a gifted artist, isn't she!!

Pat

Deserae said...

The little touches really make a huge difference don't they? I never tire of seeing pics of your beautiful home! Thanks for sharing!!! Have a great weekend :o)
~Des

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Beautiful touches, Rhoda! Your home is so warm and welcoming.

Xo Lidy

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what little touches like that will do for a room. I'm looking around my house right now, wondering what I can do to "pimp" it up some.

Sandi McBride said...

Good grief Rhoda, if you had any more pizazz in that house we'd have to sell tickets! Your home is lovely...lol, I'm sure you know that, though!

Terri Steffes said...

Great lesson! I love how you are doing it systematically and taking your time. What a labor of love you are providing your home!

Nunnie's Attic said...

Rhoda you sure do have a knack for turning things from pretty to gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and projects with us.

Love,
Julie

Esther Sunday said...

You did a fantastic job! It all looks so great! You are right, those small details change change the whole look! I have even seen the inside of older manufactured homes profiled with these type of changes and it is amazing! Super!

Cottage Contessa said...

Rhoda! What a terrific post! You've got such great taste & style. My mind is just buzzing with ideas now for my home! Thank you, you've REALLY inspired me sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

You're so right. It's those little details that can make a room, space or whole house. You've done a great job.

ohiofarmgirl said...

I love you touches of personality. I just added some gingerbreading to an inset window at my house too. There is a pic on my blog! Dianntha

Adla said...

Hi there,
just stumbled across your blog, I think we met at the inspired rooms party:) You have a wonderful blog and all that decorating is mmm yummy! You've done a great job at it. I shall go wander through your blog some more. do visit me at www.vintagedelights.blogspot.com
Ta for now, Adla

Unknown said...

Great ideas Rhoda. Sometimes it's the little touches that make it look so great. I love that you share with us. Thanks

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Rhoda,
You know looking at those pictures reminded me of all the fun we have had over the years. Have we done some projects! Big rooms, little rooms, and lots of small details
...they have all been fun, when they were all done!
It's all in the details, and your great ideas just prove it again.
Thank you for your generous mention.
Donna

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

you are so very creative...i have some of those resin corbels...i am looking at my doorways now...blessings, rebecca

Kristi said...

I'm so sad, either my computer or internet connection is not allowing me to see the full photos you posted. I just see the descriptions and am crying to see the photos! Am I the only one?

P.S. Be sure to pop over to my blog to enter my give away!

Maureen said...

Hey Rhodie, you certainly are a master with embellishing things with the special details that make them stand out! I think you personally kept House Parts in biz when you lived here- thanks again for turning me on to that place! I have paid it forward and brought friends there, but have not been in a while!

kari and kijsa said...

Fabulous stuff...our favorite was your chair...When we recently refurbished a old house we had moldings cut from MDF and painted white....so much cheaper, but really went a long way to adding to the decor!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
Great job on the architectural details. I love to do the same. It makes such a difference, without a lot of work or expense.
Have a great weekend!
Rosemary

Aunt Ruthie said...

wow what a beautiful home you have created! It must bring such joy and comfort to your family! You really have the gift of making a house a home.Bless you! Please come and visit me sometime at my blog!
Ruthann
warm pie, happy home

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Great ideas Rhoda. Thank you for sharing them. You certainly have the knack for the "little something extra!" . . . and for inspiring us all to "think outside the box!"

Blessings,

Sher

Alice said...

What great ways to add character to a modern house. And none of your ideas seems too difficult to do. Liquid Nails--a terrific idea for those of us for are hammer challenged.

~*This Mama*~ said...

WOW, you are SO good at that stuff! Maybe you could drive up here on day and help me with MY house! lol

Julie said...

I love it when you post photos of your home. It is decorated down to the last detail which makes it so interesting!

Elle Jay Bee said...

You have a wonderful eye for detail, and your home is so lovely!

Linda

Michelle E. ~ Vintage Pastiche' said...

Oh Rhoda! I LOVE this post! All those special touches are so exciting to see. It's amazing how just a little detail makes things POP!

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

*muah*
Michelle