Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year, I'm Home Again.....

So, the New Year has rolled in once again, can you believe that? And I've got some new and exciting things in store for me this year. I'm officially home again....as in, I quit my job right before Christmas. Yep, that's right. That wonderful, cushy, good fit for me job is no longer. You see, it seems my dear sweet hubby would much rather have me home again than to have another paycheck, so home is where I'll be. He values my time at home more than money. At first, I was reluctant (kicking & screaming is more like it!). It was a great job, really decent paycheck, & I enjoyed the people. But, I had to make the decision that was going to be best for my family, so I gave my notice. They were very sorry to see me go and I was a good fit for that position. After all, I had only been there a short time, but all in all, they were very understanding. And now, I'm excited about the new year ahead.

My hubby has been very supportive of me trying to do something at home, using my talents and abilities, so I do very much appreciate him encouraging me with this venture. I know a lot of women are prodded to go out & get jobs by their husbands (I have witnessed that firsthand), & I'm thankful that mine is old-fashioned when it comes to that and he loves me being home and having the time to do what I want to do, as well as being a homemaker. I was momentarily blinded by a nice, steady paycheck & would have probably stayed there several years just to keep that going & give us extra income. My hubby works at home and is very entreprenurial in spirit, whereas I go the safe route. We are an interesting mix, to say the least. It might be time for me to get out of my box. Did I mention that I have worked 30 years in corporate jobs, in large corporations and small companies as an Administrative Assistant? I've always done pretty well with it, but he also hated to see me getting up at 5:30 every morning to get to the office by 7:30, just so I could leave at 4:30 & rush to do all I needed to do at home too. And I was too tired to get it all done. I know all of you who work full-time know exactly what I'm talking about. I can't even imagine how you working moms handle all of this. You girls have my utmost respect.

So, it's time for a change....again.

I'm now excited about what the New Year might hold for me. I've loved decorating for a long time now and have always wanted to do something with that. So, I think that now might be the time for me to really explore that in more depth and figure out how to launch myself in a decorating business from home. I'm not quite sure how to do that yet. I'm asking lots of questions from other friends who are in this business and starting to do some research, so I'm very excited about the possibilities. I know there are a lot of people out there who love decorating too and it's not that easy to start a business up from scratch, but that's where my interests lie and that's what I'd love to do. I'll never know if I don't give it a try. I'm going to look at taking some courses, where that will be online or here at a local college, I'm not sure yet. I will have to do some research on what will be the best course of action for me. I do have 3 months of some good, in-depth training from Ethan Allen when I was a design consultant for them for a few short months back in 2003/04. Retail, I discovered, was not my thing. It was way too much "sales pressure" and way too hard to making a living like that, so I know that is not the direction for me to go. I don't claim to be an interior designer, I didn't go to school for that. But, I think I can decorate pretty well, and I think I can help the average woman with putting her home together, so we'll see where that leads me. I'd like to focus on redesigning & helping women rearrange rooms, using things they have in different ways, color consultations, shopping for something special & maybe even redoing some furniture. I love taking something that is not that great & turning it into a treasure.

I've got plenty to keep me busy for awhile at home. I'm looking forward to not having to get up at the crack of dawn, getting to the gym several mornings for workouts (instead of having to fit it in after work in the afternoons), having time to plan & prepare meals, getting my cleaning done during the week, & having some girl time with some of my friends too. I've got closets & drawers that need cleaning out & reorganizing...funny, we just moved in here 2 years ago & that already needs doing! I've also always wanted to have some time to give to volunteer/ministry opportunities & because of working fulltime, have never been able to do much of that. So, I'm trusting the Lord to lead me in all of this. I know He has a plan & he will take care of us, all I have to do is trust Him. That's been so hard for me at times over the years, as I tend to jump in & try to control things by doing it MY way. I can figure this out & I will fix it, by golly! Any one else relate to that? That is something that the Lord has been teaching me this past year...to rest in Him. How hard that is sometimes. I think I'm finally learning that one, but it's taking me long enough.

I'd love to hear from all of you too! I know many of you work fulltime or part-time. Do you like what you do & if money were no object, would you quit work & stay at home or pursue something else that you love? I've heard a lot of women make the comment that they could not stay home, they just feel like they have to work for their own well being & satisfaction. I have never felt that way. I have always worked too & looked enviously at the women I saw who did stay home. For those who do stay at home, do you feel totally fulfilled by being a homemaker and/or mother? I know homemaking is almost a lost art these days, as most couples are struggling to stay afloat & most of the time it means 2 paychecks are needed. Finding that balance is hard sometimes.

Y'all will be on this journey with me too, so you can hear all the ups & downs as I figure this all out! Thanks for all the support from each and every one of you this year. This time last year, I barely knew what a blog was, much less thought about starting one. Blogging has really opened up a lot of doors for me too and I'm very excited to see what is ahead of me this coming new year. Thanks for tagging along with me and thanks for all the support I've felt from this wonderful blogging community. That's one thing I'm really grateful for this past year. Moving to a new city two years ago was more challenging than I had imagined. Making new friends was difficult at times, but 2007 brought some wonderful new friends into my life, all of you included. Hope y'all have a very Happy New Year! I'm geared up for some decluttering & hopefully some fun projects this year, so I hope you'll all stick around! (signs from Art.com)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

77 friends stopped by:

Steph said...

I have a small decorating business that I do out of my home. Email me if you would like and I can tell you what I did to get started!

Mary Lou Weidman said...

Hey, this was insprirational and fun to read for the New year. It is always hard moving somewhere new or even being a new person in a group of girls that all know each other. It;s easy to look at your fingernails alot and smile when someone walks by to refull their coffee. Your blog is lovely and I love the feel and colors and positive nature of it. I'll be back often.
Cheery and Colorful New year to YOU,
Mary Lou
Marylouweidman.blogspot.com

Tonja said...

New year...new path! I think you will be just fine whatever you decide to do. You seem like the kind of person who can 'make things happen'...so go for it! You'll be great at the decorating business...this is most evident by the lovely pictures on your blog. And word of mouth is the best advertising there is, so word will get around, and then you'll have more to do than you ever thought.

I just work part time, but I do it for my sanity. I am a creative person and I need to be doing something other than 'homework.' However, with the situation I find myself in with Alex, I must be available to him first. God blessed me with the most perfect outlet, and the most understanding people to work with. I don't think I would be happy to stay at home all the time.
Anyway, Happy New Year to you...and may the year be full of fun surprises!

bs honey said...

Happy New Year, Rhoda. You know I'm,also, happy that you are home. From reading your blogs, I've known that you are a"happy doing your thing" at home kind of person.
Yep, two paychecks are definately better than one. I've been there and done that. But my way of seeing it is that you learn to live with what you have. That the more you make, the more you spend, and then the next thing you know, you've bought a new car, or some extravagance, and you have no choice, but to earn a salary.
All this said to say this. I'm happy for you and hubby. Enjoy your life and go after what you want. You're a great decorater, and if you were in Mississippi, I would surely give you a call.

Kelly said...

Do you know how lucky you are that your husband WANTS you to be home more and asked if you would stay home and not work?! Many wives would LOVE that opportunity!!! Consider yourself very fortunate. I stay home as a mother of 2 children and I enjoy it very much. I used to work full-time and then part-time. I prefer staying home and being available for my children and not having to juggle work and rush hour traffic etc. My husband is a fireman and has his own business on the side which allows me to stay home. When my youngest is old enough to stay by himself, I'll probably go back to work part-time doing something fun but not a corporate type job like a used to have. Too many office politics for me!! Enjoy sleeping in, taking care of your home and husband, getting things accomplished when you feel like it rather than squeezing it in, go on trips together (since now you have all the vacation time you want) use your time more creatively and relax for a change! Go out and celebrate your new freedom. I look forward to reading about your new life in 2008.

Kelly

Sandi McBride said...

Oh Rhoda, welcome home, but it won't be easy, Darlin'...I have the urge to choke the breath out of my true love at least once a week, but luckily he gets the hint and goes fishing or gardening or just anything that takes him out...I think it may be the sight of my cleaning my gun that puts the juice in his gogo machine, lol...Happy New Year and again...Welcome Home

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda...I came by to wish you the best for 2008! And found your message. Best of luck with whatever your endeavors!

Happy New Year!
Pat

Fran said...

Welcome back home! I am a stay at home wife. Our kids are out of the house now. We tend to move every few years and it seems like just when I would find a job that I really liked, we would move. Not working works for me. My husband does like to have his dinner ready and appreciates having the house clean. And I want to be able to go visit the kids when I want to and that is not possible with a job. Did I enjoy the extra money? Oh yes! But like another person commented, the more you make, the more you spend. How true.

You seem to be able to keep yourself busy. And I think you would do a wonderful job doing some sort of interior design. I volunteer to be your first customer!

Fran

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that the new year will bring much happiness to you. And I know that you'll be successful in whatever you choose to do.

Have a wonderful new year!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Good for you! You're lucky to have a H that wants you at home. Getting up at 4:30 is not fun....I did it for 28 yrs!!!
I know you'll succeed in whatever path you take, XOXO DebraK

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Rhoda,

Since you and I have talked about this a bit already, you have heard some of my thoughts and congratulations on your new direction! So exciting to see it happening! I am sure you will do great in whatever you decide to do! I'll be rooting for you!

I can say (since you asked for our thoughts!) that I think there are all types of women. Some women are just "hardworking" people whether they work outside the home or not. Some stay home theoretically to "not be so busy" and before you know it you've volunteered to help at school or church, started a business, clean more than is really necessary, cook more elaborate meals, entertain more or shop more, and blog a bit more and lo and behold, you are too busy again! But if those are the things that make you happy, fulfilled and bless others, so be it! !

You can always fill up whatever time you have available to you and be exhausted or unhappy, or spend every dollar you make and still feel you don't have enough!

Or you can waste precious time every day just because it is available to waste and feel like you have had a great day, but misuse the time and talents God has given to you.

Working for a paycheck or your own business, or not having a job at all doesn't guarantee a balanced life, happiness, productivity, a clean house, well-adjusted children or a happy marriage. It is all in your management of what you have, and your own personality mixed in.

Life is always a delicate balance between being productive in life, effective, happy and managing what you have. That is my experience having been both a stay at home mom and a working mom! There is no one size fits all answer, we are all going to handle things differently.

Hmm, looks like I just wrote a blog post right here in your comments, guess I need to move it to my own blog from here on out! LOL! I'll be quiet now!

Wishing you the best in all you choose to do in 2008! Blessings!

Melissa

Susie Q said...

Welcome home dear Rhoda! Bill is the same way for now...especially while Grace is younger. I also help care for Mom and my nephew so it is never boring! : )
It IS so hard to work and run a home too. I remember the days of wearing myself out and I was in my 20's and 30s! When Dan came along I worked part time for awhile and that was often difficult too.
Something always has to give and it always seemed to be sleep or my favorite past times. You ARE wonderful with home decor and I know you will do so well wherever life leads you. I know you will find your niche.
It IS out there.
I want to change up what I do as well...something small for now but
something that I can enjoy while making a bit of money for trips, etc.

Good luck sweet Rhoda. May 2008 be a year of bliss for you!

Love and hugs,
Sue

Betty said...

Rhoda,
Haven't been on line to read blogs much the last few days.....so I was surprised to learn that you have given up your out of home job....

I've been on both sides of the fence...I love staying at home...I never get bored or caught up. Always something to do or go....

I'm thankful to be able to stay home....and to pursue projects that interest me......

Wishing you and yours a blessed, joyous, healthy and prosperous New Year.....Betty

Unknown said...

After reading your post I have to tell you a story. I will try to make it short. My father operated farm for 25 years. He farmed the land with my grandparents. He was an only child, and they started the farm with the mindset that would be their only child's living. (They did this because he is deaf. At that time (in the 30's) they felt this was the only decent living he would ever be able to have because of his handicap. (I am glad times have changed.)

When my father was 45, after 25 years of farming, he knew he wanted to do something better. Something he loved to do. His passion was restoring antique furniture and upholstery. At 45, with a wife, baby (me) and two teenagers, he sold the farm and started his own upholstery business.

Never once did he ever regret it. It was a rough start for him and a few rocky years after that. Though, his business grew along with his well respected reputation. All the while, he was able to do what he loved.

He had to retire two years ago at the age of 76. If it wasn't for his Parkinson's disease, I know he would still be restoring furniture and upholstering.

I wanted to tell you that if you love doing it, and are good at doing it (which you are judging by all your beautiful photos), the rest will fall into place.

Good luck to you!

Robin said...

Hi Rhoda,
I admire what you are doing, following your bliss! If money were not object I probably would not be in the job I have. I do enjoy working and seeing people every day. I was a stay at home mom for a long time and my focus was too much on a clean house and not really "playing" with my kids. Lesson learned (for me) You have stretched your brain so much this year with blogging etc..you will find your path in the decorating field. Maybe you could be a home stager- go in and stage it for Real Estate companies or private owners that are trying to sell or rent? Just my two cents! Happy New Year!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Sounds like you are going to busy this next year with things that you like and want to do. I am a homemaker . My husband likes me to be home to do the things I like and to take care of the house and I have many health issues which would make it hard for me to work outside the home. I have I worked with special needs children. It has been hard on one pay check but the Lord has seen us through and I do volunteer in ministry areas to the less fortunate. Blessings for a Great New Year and may our Lord bestow his riches blessings upon you and your's Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

I have not made a comment to you in a while; however, I have one today. Have you ever considered working at "Staging" peoples homes for sale or maybe decorating model homes for a builder? You would be excellent doing either.

Love and hugs,
Judy (in McDonough)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year sweetie! I know you'll be successful at whatever you do and there are lots of people in the blog world who will give you wonderful advice!

xo,

Manuela

Becky K. said...

Happy New Year to you, Rhoda!

I am so excited for you! Your husband sounds like a gem. I, too am very much for having your own business and love my part time financial advising and then the hobby candle making business. The flexibility is absolutely the best but you have to work to maintain the ability to keep that and not turn it into a job. When you have built up a clientele, and I am very sure that you will, make sure you keep your schedule at a manageable pace. Enjoy it! Your product will be freshest and most quality of you are passionate about it. If you overbook and wear yourself out you will lose the passion.
Oh My Goodness,
I just preached at you... I am so sorry. I am just so excited for you and want you to succeed!

Becky K.
Lancaster County, PA

Jen said...

I think starting your own business slowly will be a good idea. Take some classes. I started staying home before Miller was born...boy was it hard....it was summer time though and Madison was home from school so that made things easier..we did alot. I think you staying home in January will be a struggle. My dad retirees Friday after working for 40 years...they are going to Florida for 2 months to help him and to golf of course. My Advice to you since it will be winter...immediately get a schedule and throw yourself into a project. I think the decorating business would be great...I have a friend who does it on side..she is a hairdresser. I look forward to seeing what you do.

Maureen said...

Stopped by to wish you a Happy New Year dear friend, and see that you've shared your news. Over the years I have gone back and forth from demanding full time work, to "micky-mouse" part time work, and have been a full time SAHM and homemaker. Some of the happiest moments, and those of greatest contentment and enrichment were during the latter. I think an industrious happy person is going to find their mark in whatever they aspire to, and you are one of those people Rho. You always share your (many) gifts no matter. I wish you well in the new year and look forward to hearing about your new adventures girlfriend!

Rosemary said...

Happy New Year Rhoda!!
Congrats on your new venture, whatever it may be.
I have stayed at home ever since I had a little one. That was 26 years ago. I have always worked part time though, mostly from home.
Now I have been doing my art and selling it to stores etc. It's what I was meant to do, only I am just finding that out. So you see, we all go through that. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
I'm with you,
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Rhoda! I've been home for a few years now and last May dh retired. We shop, play with our dogs and are trying to get this new (to us)house we moved to last spring to become "home". You just need to keep busy. I have many projects for this upcoming year. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Good for you to make the decision you made. I retired this past June. It was sooner than I had planned but hubby had had a stroke in 2005. I worked as long as I did but them I really felt the need to stay home with him on a full time basis. I couldn't balance the stress of work with the stress of worrying about him being home so home won! As soon as I quit, I helped babysit our grandsons for the summer. I would never had been able to spend the time with them had I been working. Then we had our son's wedding to help with. I've been able to spend more time with my mom (84 years old) and get ready for the holidays. Now I'm joining the local garden club, quilting more, going on retreats with my friends, reading, blogging, etc.. Life is full and I don't really know how I had the time to work. In other words, life is what you make it to be. Being home can be so rewarding. I miss the people but not the politics, stress, work, hours - I could go on.... So again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Rhoda! And a very Happy New Year! I know the Lord will show you what he has planned for you.

You asked so here goes. . . I DO like having a job. My husband and I do not have children and I am definitely a people person. So, for me, the social aspect of work is important. Of course I have friends outside of work, but most of them work also, so I'm not sure how I'd be if I didn't work. I'm lucky in that my company has an option where you can work 75% and still have full-time benefits - which is important to me. I work for the state and our benefits are great, so that is a consideration too. I started working there @ 18, so in a little over a year, I will have my 30 years in and I will have some decisions to make then. I can top out in my retirement options at that time.

If my husband were also at home, I'd have no problem staying home. But staying home on my own is not so tempting. Maybe I'll go to something part-time at that time, closer to home. I like the fact too that in contributing financially, it will (hopefully) enable hubby to retire early.

I refuse to do housework, etc. on my days off. There are times when it happens, or you're working on a big task that cannot be handled during the week, but the majority of the time, my *chores* are done during the week. My off days are playtime! LOL My husband is a great help around the house and we both share yard duties, so it makes things much easier and quicker.

I do enjoy volunteer work and if I worked less at my job, like you, I think I would devote more time to that, both in the community and through my church.

Anyway, you asked - so there's my answer. Next year, I may be facing a big change myself!

Best of luck, and keep us posted on what you decide to do!

tina

Esther Sunday said...

Rhoda! I am sooo excited for you! You are so talented, you would do a get job with decorating! Right now, I am working at my husband's office til he finds a replacement, then I will be back to just filling in. I am such a homebody. I look forward to having the time to clean during the week too, prepare meals, etc. I love to nest. Enjoy! Love, Esther

Mary said...

Oh Rhoda, how exciting! I'm sure you will be a great success at whatever you do, and your years in the business world will have given you great experience in dealing with people, facing deadlines, etc.

When I was first married, I worked full time in the pubishing world. I quit that when my husband started working nights -- we never saw each other.

For years, I worked part time as an exercise instructor -- just enough to keep me sane while my kids were young.

I did have my own business as a personal trainer for a few years, but I was never really happy doing that -- too much bookkeeping and not enough creativity.

I gave up teaching exercise a few years ago when my knees gave out. I'm glad to have found blogging as a creative outlet, and I'd love to do what you are going to do, but I'm really a bit of a coward.

I'm so excited for you, and I will be anxious to hear all about your new endeavor! Wishing you joy in the new year!
xoxo,
Mary

Unknown said...

Rhoda, I am looking forward to your new journey! You are standing on the threshold of change, curiosity, discovery, and adventure. The good news is, God has it "figured" out! He has had this plan since the foundations of this earth and He knows just how to guide and steer you into every detail of His provision!

We have endured enormous change and character building this year. My husband, especially, has had to learn to get out of God's way. It's not easy. When we don't see the whole plan laid out in front of us, it's easy to start filling in the blanks. However, when we totally surrendered the controls in 2007, we experienced awesome miracles!

I bear witness to this new direction in your life. And, kudos to a husband who believes in YOU and is supportive of your pursuits! Thanks for allowing me to share the ride!

My own husband is the same and I, too, am taking some new paths!

Best Blessings in 2008!

KJ

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

I made the "move" to home many years ago, and haven't regretted it once. Blessings to you in the new year~
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhoda, just spent the morning visiting a few blogs to wish my buddies a happy new year. I don't visit blogs often as you know, if at all, because of this demanding job of mine. Congrat on the latest news, Peter is such a gem. I know you will do well no matter which way you choose, because you are Rhoda. I think volunteering some of your time is a wonderful idea. This holiday allowed me to slow down and read up on news of the families in dire need. A gf approached me about the adopt-a-family program and we've signed up to help out.

Since you asked, I'd tell you that I'm one of those women who absolutely loves working. Except for a short 5 months break (from a layoff 3 years ago), I've always worked full-time. During this 5-mo break I tried staying busy by starting all kinds of home projects. The house ended up looking really nice (and featured on RH as you remember), but I was miserable. It daunted on me that I needed to get back to the fast track of high-tech business, as soon as possible, because my mind was so thirsty for those intellectual stimulations and challenges.

So I went back to work and took on more responsibilities than I ever did before...more traveling away from home and more politics to deal with at the executive level. Luckily I have a very understanding husband, who shares a lot of house work when I'm away. I'm also fortunate to have a very well behaved HS kid..who feeds himself and cleans his own bedroom, clothes, and bathroom, lol. Did I ever feel guilty? ALL THE TIME! But it's a choice I've made and therefore had to work extra harder to find the balance between work and my family. I blame this trait on my father though, lol, who will turn 80 in a couple weeks. He still goes to work everyday, putting in at least 10 hours each day at the hospital..mentoring, teaching, seeing patients, researching....all the stuff he loves to do...and surprisingly enough, my mom allows it!

I'll be reading up on your progress Rhoda. Wishing you the very best. Happy New Year my friend!

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda. I have both worked and been at hoem and I like hoem better. There is time to think, to create, you're not tired all the time. A household runs so much more smoothly when the person in charge, usually the wife actually has time to make it a calm relaxing place and that is almost impossible to do when you eork full time. I am very excited for you! I noticed your life verse is the verse the Lord gave me for 2008! I am glad that you are a new friend! Rhondi

Kathleen Grace said...

I wish you all the best Rhoda! Home is where my heart has always been and I was a stay at home mom for years. i only work part time now but it seems to still take a big bite out of my time and especially my energy. If money were no object (our second child will be in college this fall!) I would stay home and persue artistic endeavors. As it is their education is a must so I try to fit it in around the edges. I look forward to staying at home again some day:>) I enjoy your blog so much, I am sure it will be fun to see how you follow your dreams!

Unknown said...

It seems you and I are two peas in a pod, Rhoda. I've been an admin in large corporations for 30 years now, and am suddenly unemployed (I was laid off Dec 28). However, I am thanking God for this time off. I have done well in my field, but it isn't what I want to do. I never wanted to work in corporate America; but raising two children alone there was no option. The only reason I can take some time off now is because I got a little severance. Am trying to figure out what I could do from home. I helped a friend open an interior design store once; the hardest physical work I've ever done, and the happiest I've ever been in a job. I would also love to do something with my design experience, just not sure where to start. Sorry for this long monologue!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

rhoda...how exciting for you...remember my motto- doing what you love is no harder than doing what you don't...so follow your passion...if you were close enough,iwould be your first client...visitng you always brightens my day...may the spirit of a new year fill your home with an abundance of love, laughter, and joy...may the magic of the moment bring peace to your heart all year long...may your creativity take you to amazing places and may you experience the resulting bliss...much love you and your family...rebecca

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ I know this was a difficult decision for you. You will do well in what ever you decide to try. God has a plan for YOU!

Have you got your greens on? Happy New Year y'all!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I feel as though you have already begun your work. Through your blog you have invited others to share in the delights of your life. What a gift that is to those that only connect with the outside world through their computer. The Lord is using you as a messenger to many more people than you realize.

Andi said...

Wow Rhoda, sounds like you have a real adventure ahead of you in 2008! I wish you the very best and know you will do well with whatever you do.

I love to watch HGTV and always love the segments where they have an interior re-designer come in and redecorate the room usings the homeowners own things. I've always wanted someone who could do that to come to our home. I'm sure there are lots of us out there that would love to hire someone just like that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

I just wanted to pop in and say Happy New Year! I have so enjoyed reading your posts.

Wishing you all the best in 2008
Kathy :)

Ruth Welter said...

Hi Rhonda, thanks for stopping by and for your sweet wishes. Happy New Year to you as well. Congrat on your job or should I say, getting rid of your job. : ) Working from home is the greatest and I'm happy for you. Glad you have a sweet supportive husband who loves having you around, you cannot beat that.

Judy said...

Hi Rhoda! It's so wonderful to have a supportive spouse and if economically feasible, not to work or to work part-time. I was lucky enough when I remarried 4 1/2 years ago that my husband has his own business and he wanted me to work part-time so we could travel, etc. I gladly quit my 8-5 pressure cooker job as a legal assistant and went to work part-time (actually only off on Fridays) for the next year. Then I had an accident at work, was on workman's comp. for six months and then the guy I worked for was laying folks off so I was on unemployment another 6 months. At the end, I was lucky to find a job Monday-Thursday 9-3 (no pressure and I love what I do). It gives me a little spending money and enough free time take care of my 87 year old mother, spend time with grandbabies and hubby and I do whatever, whenever. I really do enjoy having a little something to do and I hope I never have to go back full-time. Congratulations on your new adventure and I'm sure something will come your way. Keep me posted and I look forward to seeing what the new year brings for you. Best wishes, Judy

Unknown said...

Rhoda,

I think you will do great in whatever the Lord has in store for you. I love the decorating that you have shown all of us in your blog so I think you would be terrific at that. I've worked from home since May and at first it was an adjustment. I missed my co workers and talking things over with them but it's working out. I just kind of take it one day at a time. Happy New Year!

Terri Steffes said...

I think you are quite lucky to do what you want to do and to have someone support you to do it! I love my job as an elementary principal but I do think if Bob gave me the nod to stay home, I just might! I have worked for 30+ years so I don't really know if I have what it takes to stay at home!

kari and kijsa said...

Good luck with your new career choice...sounds wonderful an exciting...you have a fabulous eye and we know you will make a success of it!

We just wanted to stop by and give you the warmest wishes of the season! Hope you have a wonderful and prosperous 2008!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Wow Rhoda! It looks like you have the most exciting New Year ahead of you! How fun to go out and discover a new you! I am looking forward to hearing about your journey.

I worked in the advertising industry for 25 years and 7 years ago, I quit and moved to another state. It took me a couple of years to get my mosaic business off the ground, but it was fun the whole time trying and still is!

Have Fun!
Penny

Sandy said...

Rhoda - thanks for sharing your heart with us. I am a 3/4 time working mom - but I get to do it from home, which is a huge blessing. I'm excited for newness for you in 2008 - maybe we'll see a Southern Hospitality book be birthed!
Love Sandy

Debbie Kay said...

Rhoda:

WOW I think you are starting the year off wonderfully. I am so excited for you (and a little envious:) but trust that the Lord has marvelous things for you as you embrace this new endeavor with Him at the helm.

God is blessing you and you are blessing us with your talents.

Lookind forward with you to the year ahead.

Debbie Kennedy

BailiwickStudio said...

What you're choosing to do sounds very exciting to me! I had a part-time job after my children got older, until last March when I broke my ankle and couldn't work. I still haven't gone back, and in the meantime have been pursuing my dream of getting my website off the ground (what a chore that is!). I've had little artistic side businesses since I was a teenager, but my dream now is to have a successful full-time-from-home business. My goal for 2008 is to make it happen.

I wish you the best in finding your niche!

Justabeachkat said...

Happy New Year Rhoda! I wish for you many blessings in 2008. I remember us discussing this when we were together in Birmingham and I know it wasn't easy for you to leave a job you truly enjoyed. It's wonderful though that you might get to do something you enjoy even more plus have more time at home. Pray and place it in God's hands. He always knows exactly what is best for us.

Hugs sweet friend!
Kat

Sheila said...

Rhoda, thank you for stopping by and the sweet comment you left. I must say WOW...I read your latest post and then I had my sweet husband come upstairs so I could read it to him. This could have been so written by me. I feel exactly the same way you do. I am so proud of you for making this decision...God will lead you, and I am so envious of you (in a good way) because I have been debating the same ideas as you have...
I love your house you are so talented and your decorating skills are just very natural...Go with you God given talent.
You have so imspired me tonight, and blessed me beyond measure. Thank you so much.
I hope you have a very healthy, happy, and wonderful 2008.
I want to add you to my bloglist of friends, because I want to follow you on your journey.
May God continue to richly bless you and your family...
Smile,
shiela

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I've done both...been a working mother and a stay-at-home mom. I enjoyed working outside the home in that it gave me a way to meet other adults and talk to someone besides my kids during the daylight hours (lol), but I really have loved staying at home most. However - I think I've always felt kind of like I disappointed some people because I didn't chose a "career". My mother had a career, my sister has quite an amazing career and me? I'm still sitting at home, worrying about what color to paint the guest room. Sometimes I do feel like I just didn't live up to my potential, but most of the time, I just feel very, very lucky that I've been able to stay home and raise my kids and make a comfortable home for them and my husband. Whenever I've worked over the years, our home life has suffered one way or the other. And really, I guess it comes down to what matters more to you...living "better" because of more money coming in or living "better" because you're able to focus more on your home than your job? Raising 4 kids, there was a lot of times when a double income would have come in handy, but life just made more sense for ME to raise our kids instead of a daycare. Besides...I really don't like having to answer to a boss! lol

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Rhoda...I am enjoying being a SAHM only for the past year after working in retail management and as a receptionist in a Dr office...I LOVE being at home and now my kids are schooled at home. I DO miss my paycheck and at times have considered getting a night job to supplement our income without sacrificing the school at home...but I do feel that this year in 2008 I am going to try to start my own business from home....I'm still tossing it around in my head....
Blessings,
Robin

Barbara Jacksier said...

First of all, congrats! I love being a "freelancer". Even while editing 12 or more magazines yearly, I only went into the office a few days a week. After I moved 400 miles from NYC, I only dropped in one or twice a month.

The key to survival, in my opinion, is being organized-- with stuff AND time. Making a daily routine and stick to it. Enjoy sleeping past 5:30 but always have that alarm clock set for 8, 9 or whatever. Good Luck and enjoy the freedom.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

COME ON LADIES!! this is 2008? Why would one give up something they love because "the man" wants them home???

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I'm so excited to see how your new venture develops. You are a natural fit to do something with decorating. How sweet that your hubby wants you at home! Hope 2008 is great for you!

willzmom said...

Rhoda,
Happy New Year! Well, I applaud you for giving up that paycheck and doing what will ultimately make you and your husband happy. I too am fortunate to have a husband that wanted me at home, I worked off and on before our son was born but the goal was always for me to stay at home. I work now, driving children back and forth to school (including mine) and I have summers and all school holidays off. Now that I've gone back to school it's a little hectic here, but we all know it's temporary and I will work from home which is what we all want. I think that you would be wonderful in any area of decorating. I think you should think about helping people see the potential in the things they already have-verses buying all new for their home. Congratulations on a new road for 2008-you'll do great!

Free Art Printables said...

Rhoda,
Good for you. Life is full of adventures. I stay at home with my 3 girls and work my murals and furniture around my hubby's schedule. I got started by doing friends homes for free and taking pictures for my portfolio. You're home is beautiful and you have a great eye.You can start out by being a "redesigner" and move from there. I think you would do amazingly great. Follow your heart and listen to your gut. with your talent, there's great success in your future!

OldBagNewTricks said...

Rhoda, this seems such a great direction for you -- everyone in town will want you to help them pull their homes together. You have such a strong design talent and by checking out classes and asking lots of questions is very smart. I can't wait to see how this journey unfolds.

Jenny

Lana Manis said...

Happy New Year Rhoda! It sounds like you are getting ready for a wonderful adventure. I look forward to reading about it.

Jill said...

Hi Rhoda- There are some very inspiring comments here. I've never NOT worked, so I honestly don't know how I'd like staying home and I always say that I'll always work. With three young kids, I relish more flexibility and some "me" time. The rushing and racing against the clock wears me down after awhile. I know good things will come your way and I do wish you all the best in the year ahead. I'm excited for you. You have a great outlook!

Nan said...

Good for you. I will be anxious to watch your journey as I would love to do something similar. As you may remember, I just went back to work after being off for a little while. I probably did not use my time off wisely or I could have already been down another path. My husband is self-employed and the health insurance benefits from my job are really helpful to us.
Good luck and Happy New Year!
Nan

Rick said...

Sounds like a nice supportive husband. I guess you shold hang on to him.

I'm having a little give-away on my blog my self. No gmicks, just my way of celebrating one year of blogging. Please come over and sign up.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Things That Inspire said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I visited your blog a few days ago, and loved what I saw. This is a very inspirational post. I have been thinking about it for days.

Deserae said...

Hey Rhoda! What a great guy that Peter is :o) You think some of that could rub off on my hubby???Nah...I doubt it! @@ Good luck in your new adventure!....I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!
~Des

Tracey said...

Happy New Year, my friend!

I'm so excited for this new venture you are about to set out on! You will be FABULOUS!

I have to say, I do have an Interior Design degree and it honestly doesn't matter! You have to have a "knack" for it, and that you have, my friend!

Hmmm...how about "Divine Redesign" ? Or, something else you could do would be to get your "Staging" license. I think it only costs about $400 for the course. You would be fantastic at that.

We have a professional stager that is on staff at our Real Estate Company and she is busy, busy, busy! I could put you in touch with her if you're interested in finding out more.

Whatever path the Lord leads you down, He will surely bless you!

Much love!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I want to encourage you to go for it! I wanted to do something like that when I was younger and didn't, now I regret it. I love staying home, I stayed home and raised my two daughters for 21 years, then had to go to work. I worked 16 years at NASA, KSC, in FL. I'm now retired and have been home for ten years, loving it, I never get bored, never have enough time! I do help friends, family with their decorating, but not for pay.

God gave you the talent, and He gave you the desire. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He'll give you the desires of your heart!

I wish you the very best!

Katherine

P.S. - I enjoyed seeing your sister's village! Last Friday on Show and Tell I shared my six-piece tea room village, if you would like to see it!

cotedetexas said...

Rhoda: Go for it!!! Even if you're on your own, with a home office, you will still be working - so it's the best of both worlds. I love working for myself. I was an office manager for years and years and thought I just could NOT not work! Until I quit. haha!!! You'll love it. Start slow and go out for word of mouth advertising and before you know it, you'll be making money and accountable only to yourself. It's a very, very liberating feeling. It's not work when you do what you love, it's passion.

Alice said...

Sure, lots of women enjoy decorating but not many are as talented as you are. Anyone would be lucky to have you in their home, helping to make it beautiful. You have such a lovely style but you also understand people and could make someone else's vision a reality for them. I can tell that 2008 is going to be an exciting year for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Rhodie...
Happy New Year to you!
I have NO DOUBT that WHATEVER endeavor you decide to pursue you will be a success, and you will be happy as long as you are being true to YOUR SPIRIT AND SOUL. You have the heart and the talent - make your dreams come true.
Love,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Rhonda, I was excited to read your news! Is it selfish of me to think you will be posting more interior pictures now that you aren't going to an office every day? :) You are very talented and I know you will do well with a decorating business. I have worked successfully from my home for 19 yrs arranging silk floral designs. I'd be happy to share about my business if you would like. Best wishes for a new beginning!

Donna

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL again SO much for the wonderful, positive comments about my new year's plans! I am just blown away by all the support & confidence you have in me. I hope I can live up to it! I'm really excited about the possibilities that await me & I will be sure to share my progress as I go along. You are all such a special part of my life now & I look forward to sharing so many new things with you all in this coming year!

dd, I would love to hear about your floral design business, but since I can't get in touch with you, please email me. You can click on my About Me profile & find my email link. Thanks so much for the support!!

Love to you all,
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Rhoda
I have been a sahm, a part time sahm, a full time worker, a full time singer mother of 2 worker, and now I have been a working gramma and a stay at home gramma! LOL! Gosh I have done a lot in 44 years! I can say that staying and home and being able to put my family first is the GREATEST thing I have ever done. Right now I stay home and sale on ebay but my little grandson has to go to daycare. I just can't work with him home. I did feel guilty about sending him at first but he loves it now so everything is good. God will bless you and your family for making this decision. I can guarantee you that!
xoxo
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda.......What a fun business decorating will be since you are home now! There are so many new things to do I know you won't be bored. I do LOVE my part-time job......have been there 8 yrs. We have no sales pressure (never sold anything before in my life until this job fell in my lap) & bonuses which I usually get one of those too once a month also. I get things at cost plus alittle extra on great furniture, flooring, rugs, etc. My schedule is so flexible, it is easy to get off whenever I want.....my boss brings me donut holes to eat , can surf the internet between customers, etc. I would be a nut to quit. I do love it! I have time to get house work done since it is p/t and appointments scheduled. I would hate working fulltime I think...the times I tried DD was too busy & we were thawing hamburger out in the microwave at 8:30 at night trying to eat after all her activities. I think what ever makes you happy & Peter too is the right decision for you & I think you will find plenty to do. I can't wait to get back to art class if my instuctor gets back to us in the Spring....I love painting too. Have fun with your free time ! Enjoy the decorating classes.. Happy New Year, Rhoda! Bonnie

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Rhoda, congratulations on your new "stay-at-home/work from home endeavor."

I'll send you an e-mail when I get a moment telling you "my story" too.

Blessings,

Sher

Amber Cargile said...

Rhoda, one of my New Year's Resolutions is to try to read more of the GI gal blogs, so here I am! Let me just say that every woman has to find her authentic course. I would never presume to know what yours is. But I get concerned when I hear about you being pulled "kicking and screaming" from a job you love. I have no doubt you can succeed in ANYTHING you endeavor...just make sure you're embarking on YOUR dream, not someone else's. You have my wholehearted support, prayers and good blonde-chica vibes for success and prosperty in whatever you choose to do. As for me, I love being a wife and mother, but I've always enjoyed having a little "sumthin" on the side. I feel like I've found the perfect balance between work and home...serving as an Air Force Reserve officer and my consulting work (after 8 years of being a sole proprietor, I created an LLC and formalized some things last year...it was fun!) Most days, I'm home and I'm able to take my kids to school and pick them up, take care of our home, etc. What works for me would not work for a lot of other people...but it's not their lives...it's mine. I am grateful that my husband's #1 goal is for me to be happy...so he goes with whatever flow I want to follow (within reason, of course.) You are embarking on a new chapter...my best advice is to stay true to your authentic self, no matter what! Good luck!

Lallee said...

Rhoda, belated Happy New Year! I wish you God's very best in your new venture. I know He will guide you well and use your decorating talents to benefit other women! I remember two women in South Carolina who had a 'rearranging' decorating business. I thought it was a great idea. That could be a great way to start. Word of mouth is always the best advertising, too. How about contacting the paper that did the two features on you, too? Best of luck (providence)!

Hugs,
Lallee

Robin said...

I wanted to let you know that I just discovered your blog and I am really enjoying it. I think I've went back and read every post! I am in a similar situation as you. I was a vice president at a large bank when I met my second husband. After we were married he wanted me to run the business side of his plumbing/remodeling company. I jumped at the chance because I would be able to work from home. I love it! I can do the things I love such as decorating, cooking and working in the yard while still running our business. However, there is still a need for more of a creative outlet. I fulfill that by helping others decorate their homes. I'm also getting ready to volunteer for dress for success, which helps battered and homeless women get back into the workplace by assisting them in finding the perfect interview outfit, all of which are donated. I'm also looking for ways of volunteering at church. After reading your blog and looking at your lovely home I know for certain that you will be successful at whatever you attempt. I'm looking forward to reading about your next adventure. Blessings....~Robin~

Betty Jo said...

A nice fat extra check is awesome but there is nothing like being home,and especially working from home. Illness drove me home from office management in which I had worked for many years. At first I hated it. But after a while, I grew to enjoy it. For a very short time, I did return part-time, but I hated it and so did my family. So home I've been now for over twenty years and I love it more each day. I wish you the best success ever with a home decorating business and know you will soar with it. May all info you need come your way in abundance!! Looking forward to taking this trip with you Rhoda by way of your awesome blog entries. xoxo