Sunday, January 6, 2008

Chair of Many Fabrics

January, 08 Our Livingroom

This is one of my favorite pieces of furniture that I own. It's really different & funky, so I thought I share it with you. It's covered with five different fabrics & when I bought it I really didn't have plans to use it in my livingroom, but rather the den of my old house. I had bought a pair of leather chairs too, all from the same rather high-end furniture store in GA when they were going out of business & somehow they all work together very well in the same room. The fabrics on this chair just make me smile & I love how they all play off each other, creating a cozy seat that just begs you to come & sit.

I bought this needlepoint rug off Ebay several years ago & I still love it. I had always wanted a needlepoint rug. Glass coffee table was a find from Pier One.

These fabrics together with their various textures, colors & shades are very calming & cozy.



This needlepoint piece was given to me long ago by a decorating friend on another board that I have frequented for years. My mom sewed it into this pillow for me & it's a natural complement to the chair. The chair has a natural tilt to the back & makes you just sink in & relax when you're sitting here.
Here you can see the fabric detail, along with the nailhead trim & legs. I would say this is definitely a French inspired chair. And I love French & Italian!


Sigh....I love this chair and don't think I'll ever get tired of it. Do you have a favorite piece of furniture?








Stumble Upon Toolbar

45 friends stopped by:

Abbie said...

Hi Rhoda! Oh, I don't blame you, it's fabulous! I just love it when fabrics are mixed and matched.. it adds to the cozy, warm feeling of a room.
Hmm... favorite piece.. I'd have to say my French Repro desk and chair.. (I think there is a pic in one of my recent posts)

Have a most wonderful week!
~Abbie

Jen said...

What a beautiful room. I love the fabrics in the chair. So warm and inviting.

Kim said...

That chair is gorgeous.

I don't know if I have a favorite piece of furniture yet. I guess maybe it would be the sofa in my living room that I never should've bought because the fabric is loud, loud, loud. I'm still not tired of it after ten years so I guess it was a good choice.

Kelly said...

First, let me just say that I think your living room is absolutely beautiful! I'm glad you finally posted a pic of it on your blog. I love your colors, furniture and accessories. I particularly like the way you decorated your mantel. Regarding my favorite piece of furniture, it would be a very tall armoire that I recently got for my family room. It has glass doors in it and it is hand painted and distressed to look like an antique. In fact, when I first saw it, I thought it was old. I think it makes the whole room. I'm able to put decorative items in it for display (which I so badly needed).

Kelly

Mary said...

Hi Rhoda, Love your chair of many fabrics! I'm a pattern junkie, so as far as I'm concerned the more, the merrier. Your living room is beautiful!

My favorite piece of furniture? Probably the striped Chippendale- style sofa in our library. Maybe I'll post about it soon...hmmm. Thanks for the inspiration!
xoxo,
Mary

Carrie said...

Hello Rhoda, That chair is surely a beauty. The mix of pattern and texture is most pleasing.
My favorite piece of furniture is the mahogany secretary desk in my living room. I bought it in North Carolina and had it shipped to me.
Thanks for sharing,
Carrie

Ruth Welter said...

Hi Rhoda, no wonder that chair is a favorite, just beautiful. Actually, you whole living room is a dream.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I love that chair and that room!!! It's so pretty! I have lot's of favorite items but I think my most favorite is our kitchen table. I bought it off craigslist and refinished it to look old. Hopefully if my hubby gets our kitchen floor done this weekend I'll post some pics of all of it! Thanks for sharing this! Great job!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Your chair is beautiful! So is the whole room! I have two favorite pieces of furniture - an antique sewing machine, and a little armless rocker, oh, and my iron bed! I guess I favor the antiques!

Katherine

Anonymous said...

Wonderful chair! I love chairs that have a mix of fabrics (my husband hates them)! Pretty rug too! The whole room looks beautiful and cozy!

Manuela

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Well, That is a most wonderful chair! It would be my favorite as well. I love the mixture of fabric prints and textures. The more the merrier ..... especially when blended so expertly :-)

Terri Steffes said...

Rhoda, your living room is lovely. I love your favorite chair. I may have to do a post on my favorite piece of furniture. If I do, I'll let you know!

Anonymous said...

That is one classy chair! Love the style of it AND the mix of fabrics. That's something you don't see very often. It's hard to name my favorite piece of furniture, but ranking high on the list is an old chair I found recently at an antique store going out of business.

Rhoda, I love all your greens and florals in your lr! ;) What a gorgeous room.

Rhondi said...

That is a great chair and I can see why you like it. I love that it is 5 different colors which is great on such a traditional piece. My favorite piece of furniture is my wicker chaise. We got it at an auction around 25 years ago, but I still love it!

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda!

I'm making my rounds, visiting all of my favourites and enjoying catching up!

My goodness your home is sooo beautiful! No wonder you are entering into the world of professional decorating...you are already an expert! I, too love your chair and you have me thinking now, "what is my favourite piece I own?" Perhaps it's sitting in a shop somewhere...just waiting for me to discover it?!!

Best of luck to you in your new venture. You will undoubtedly enjoy great success...I suppose just getting your name out there will be the biggest obstacle. As for taking courses, why don't you look into the ASP program (staging)? It is a good one, and includes great information on starting up your business. I can't wait to hear more about it all as you barrel forward in the decorating world!!

Best of luck, and Happy New Year!!
Linda
xoxo

Kristi said...

The chair is in my home's color scheme. I always seem to see mixed fabric chairs in yellows, blues or brighter reds. I love this one!

As usual, I am in awe and envy of your decorating abilities! I tell you, I really need help! My home looks ok but sparse. Yours looks so filled in.

Are the architectural details of the house common of those in the South? I have a friend in Austin who's current house and the house they are trying to by have a very similar look as far as windows, moldings, and other details. Even the paint colors (which I know didn't come with the house) are similar.

You must love being surrounded by such a lovely environment!

I guess my favorite piece of furniture is a plaid couch:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/2172984674_8cbe920e90.jpg?v=0

I loved taking the arm cover in to the fabric store to pick out fabrics for the throw pillows. My pillows still aren't as lush and lovely as yours!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

i do have few fav pieces...my chaise in the great room, my bed and my rocking chair...your chair is fab...love all the fabrics and how they works to make it fun and cosylooking...you are going to be soooo surprised to see what i have been up to...next week will be a home show...blessings, rebecca

Sheila said...

Beautiful...I love it...I was just wondering how being home is going? I know you are so enjoying it! I am so envious of you! lol I hope you enjoy your well deserved time and seems the decorating bug is kicking in you are very talented...Have a blessed week

Free Art Printables said...

What a great chair and such a cozy room. I have a mission rocker that doesn't go with anything, but I'm short and it fits me so I love it. I love the mix up of fabrics. It probably goes anywhere!
Jen R

Judy said...

Hi Rhoda! What a beautiful living room - I love it all. Your mixed fabric chair is stunning. I think right now I'd have to say I have two favorite pieces of furniture. One is my black foyer table and another is an old highback chair covered in the most beautiful fabric. Got the chair at auction (of course) and had it refinished/recovered in Thorsby. I'll try and post a pic of it soon. Keep me posted as to your decorating endeavors.
P.S. If you're ever in Prattville you must go to the Cloth Barn on the old B'ham Highway (closed on Monday). They have the most beautiful fabric and usually can get remnants at a very good price. Also, my cousin owns Main Street Antiques in Prattville and they get all their fabric there. Their store is wonderful!
Judy

Judy said...

Hi Rhoda! What a beautiful living room - I love it all. Your mixed fabric chair is stunning. I think right now I'd have to say I have two favorite pieces of furniture. One is my black foyer table and another is an old highback chair covered in the most beautiful fabric. Got the chair at auction (of course) and had it refinished/recovered in Thorsby. I'll try and post a pic of it soon. Keep me posted as to your decorating endeavors.
P.S. If you're ever in Prattville you must go to the Cloth Barn on the old B'ham Highway (closed on Monday). They have the most beautiful fabric and usually can get remnants at a very good price. Also, my cousin owns Main Street Antiques in Prattville and they get all their fabric there. Their store is wonderful!
Judy

Michelle said...

Enjoyed seeing your gorgeous room and I have to say - that chair is just beautiful! Very inviting room, for sure.

Rosemary said...

I love that chair Rhoda!!
I think it is so great to mix fabrics like that. It looks so warm and cozy. I have several favorite pieces. One has to be my coffee table. It's wood,iron and has storage, and the best part was it was only $25 at a garage sale. I saw the same piece in a store for $600. Yay!!
Thanks so much for sharing your home. It's a lovely place.
Rosemary

Lallee said...

Your chair is beautiful and will be a classic for years to come. I noticed your beautiful rug before you mentioned it in the post! I'd be afraid to have a needlepoint rug with the cats in my house, but I think they are the loveliest of all!

Bonnie said...

Great chair, Rhoda! I love it too & it seems so versatile! Great score picking that up on sale.
You are such a smart shopper , I need to go with you & learn your tips!
Bonnie

Sandi McBride said...

I don't blame you Rhoda, I love that chair too. I seem to recognize the pattern on the back of it...for the life of me I can't remember where I know it from. I love the needlepoint pillow, too. Still enjoying your "stay at home status"?
hugs
Sandi

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Lady!
Well, you know I love that chair. I works so well with the fabrics all being muted. It doesn't look like "patchwork" but like a funky arty style. It works so well in your new living room, which is very lovely.
(Did I wish you Happy New Year? I think I did, but it's worth saying twice anyway!)
Donna

Anonymous said...

Love the Chair Rhonda. Just my style. I am waning something like that for my office that is taking me forever to get done. Brian has been th one working on my old table and this Southern weather is so humid.

Julie said...

That chair is wonderful and is so origonal! I love that as well - which is why my favorite place to furniture shop is at antique stores. Trying to choose a favorite piece is hard for me though - some are beautiful while others have family history!

Lana Manis said...

Gorgeous and comfort all wrapped into one ~ that's a wonderful chair! You home is beautiful Rhoda.

Come by for a visit and enter my 100th post giveaway if you'd like!

Anonymous said...

isn't it so wonderful to have ourselves surrounded with things we love!! I have a chair in my bedroom that I have had since both my sons were babies (Now 19 & 13); that I nursed themin as infants. It is quite shabby and vintage now.

Karen Eileen

Anonymous said...

Your dishes are lovely. Why not call them your valentine's day dishes and leave them out? Love your blog. Always a nice visit.

Karen Eileen

Angela said...

When its comfy it works anywhere I say :-). Lovely living room too..
Have a wonderful day!!
Angela

Unknown said...

First of all I love your living room, it's so beautiful and yes I have a favorite piece of furniture also. The kids refer to it as the king chair because it looks like it was for a king, it's a very old piece and very big. We think it was from a church at one point. Everyone wants us to leave them the king chair when we die. LOL I should post a photo of it some day but it's such a dark piece I'm afraid it wouldn't show up well.

Anonymous said...

You have such a beautiful house!

I don't know if I have a favorite piece of furniture, but I do love my dining room table. It's wood and glass. I had the hardest time getting it because it had been discontinued. Just hope I never break the glass!

Tonja said...

I love it! I must post a picture of a couch and chair that I had covered several years ago...I did much the same thing...I'll try to do that soon!

tammi said...

Hi, Rhoda! Wow, it's been a while. Hope you're having a happy new year so far!!

What a fabulous chair! You have such a wonderful eye for beautiful things -- and seeing beauty in some pieces that others (like me) wouldn't see. Then you dress them up or give them a little TLC and suddenly the rest of us can see the beauty, too. You are so incredibly talented!!

Unknown said...

You really have some beautiful pieces, Rhoda. I love fabrics like these! Someday, when my sons settle down a bit, I would love to get some furniture like this. I especially like the chair that conforms to my body. I would love to get lost in it!

KJ

Debbie Kay said...

Rhoda:

I love your chair of many fabrics. I just want to sit right down and chat a while with you....

I don't know if I have said this before but I will say it now, I enjoy your blog everday and you inspire me to enjoy life and create!

Love to ya,

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Rhonda, will you please come back and look at my last post and give me some advise? Im not happy with it yet and you have the best style. Maybe you can see something I can do...change.. or add. You wont hurt my feelings.

Chic Magnolia's said...

Hi Rhoda, I just happened upon your blog and I must say that your favorite things and mine are the same. I love every single thing on there! You have a beautiful blog and a wonderful eye for decorating. Love the chair!

Vonda said...

Love the chair! And I love your beautiful room...maybe I'll come over from Germany for a cup of coffee and we can just sit and catch up...wouldn't that just be so much fun!!! -V

Susie Q said...

Oh sweet Rhoda..it IS special. I just love the mix of fabrics. It looks so comfy as well as beautiful!
Your living room is so lovely! I am so envious of all the room you have!!

Hugs,
Sue

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

I love your mantle! I don't think I have ever seen this post. Your chair is darling :)

hugs,
rue

Oliver's said...

This room is absolutely gorgeous! What a unique way to decorate your mantel, so beautiful. I see you have a love for fleur de lis too. I love the pieces you placed above your windows. Smiles, Paula