Saturday, January 19, 2008

Snow Days and Good Books

Look what old man Winter brought our way today! I know this is not a new thing to many of you, but those of us who grew up in the South aren't very used to seeing the white stuff around here. It's a novelty for sure. From the news reports, just about the whole state got some flurries and a few inches, as well as Georgia.
So, of course I had to document it for the records. This is definitely the first snow we've had since we moved here 2 years ago and we were trying to remember the last snow we got in the Southeast. I know it's been a few years. After a mild start to our Winter, we weren't sure we would get any blustery weather this year. It's cold...and a great day to stay inside and snuggle down with some good books.
You can see it's not very much snow really, but the kids all around us sure had fun playing in it. This is our frontyard after it stopped snowing.
The kids next door managed to put together a pretty awesome snowman, in spite of the rather sparse amount of snow we have on the ground. I don't think it will last long.
So, I'm really glad I took the opportunity to stop by the library and pick up some books to read last week. This kind of weather is just the best for cozying up in a chair or on the sofa with lots of books around. From fiction to non-fiction, decorating to beauty, I think I'll be set for a couple of weeks reading material.

Jodi Picoult was recommended to me, so I'm trying her out for the first time, as was Anne George, who writes the Southern Sisters novels. Anyone read those? They are set in the South (this first one I picked up is in Birmingham) and it's quite entertaining to read a novel that names all the places in the city you live, like Vulcan, Mountain Brook, Red Mountain. Entertaining mystery with Southern camp thrown in, I think I'll enjoy them.

Natalee Holloway was a Mountain Brook girl from Birmingham, so I picked up this book that her dad wrote. She disappeared just a few months before we moved to Birmingham & this case drew me in from the beginning. It has been such a tragedy that her disappearance has never been solved and I have always felt badly for her parents. It is such a shame that the Aruban government did not get to the bottom of this case!


Flea Market Style, Southern Style, and a Lynette Jennings (remember her?) book! Oh yeah, I think I'll be busy for awhile. I've read about The Beauty Bible author online, so this one sounds interesting too. All about beauty products and who doesn't need more tips in that area?

OH! And wait til you see the new diningroom light fixture I found on Friday in Homewood! It is absolutely perfect, a great deal & I just got it hung up there today. I can't wait to tell you all about it...it is gorgeous! Yes, I have been a busy girl!

I'm so looking forward to reading more books this year. When you're working, there's hardly time to do that and I dearly love to read. I can see a hot cup of chocolate and a throw in my future! Are you reading anything good this month?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Rhonda your little snowman is darling!
xo
mary
hoganfe handbags

Michelle said...

Rhoda, so tragic about Natalee. B'ham was home for me for many years during my childhood. I love reading about your travels in my old stomping grounds (Homewood, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, etc.)

Andi said...

It's not often you see a snowman in Birmingham!!! Perfect day to curl up with a good book and it looks like you have quite a few to choose from. Enjoy!

Judy said...

Hey Rhoda! I'll try to comment in some kind of order here. I love all the books you pictured. I have not yet bought Southern Style but have thought about picking it up. Most of the decorating books I've bought in the last year I order through Amazon..they can be a little less expensive bought used.
Oh, the snow! I ran around outside this morning snapping away in my jammies and hair clip but the photos did not turn out. Glad Shannon and I went to B'ham yesterday and had such lovely weather.
I got the ribbon last weekend at a store in Andalusia called "Loot". They had quite a number of spools left Friday night. If you think you might be interested, I'll get Judy to check to see if they have more or you can call them to see if they have anymore. I'll have her go by and pick them up...she's up here at least once a month and could bring it. They are real nice at that store.
Been meaning to ask what kind of camera you use. I got a new Kodak Easy Share but my flash doesn't seem to work nearly as good as yours.
I thought about you yesterday when we went to B'ham but knew we wouldn't be able to visit so I'll save that trip for when I come by myself.
You are always an inspiration to me. I've got a lot of projects on the back burner because of you!
Take care my friend - Judy

Unknown said...

I love your statuary with snow on it. Funny you mention books - I went to the library today and picked up a couple of Miss Read books (life in a small English village). I agree, it's hard to find the time to read when you work. But oh, how I am enjoying my non-working time!

Justabeachkat said...

Awwwwww....snow! Love it. No snow here though. Just cold rain.

Great day to blog and read.

Hugs!
Kat

I've tagged you for a meme

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I never knew it snowed in Alabama! I was so suprised to see snow on your blog.
I went to my library book sale Fri. night and picked up Billie Letts book, Shoot the Moon. I read Where the Heart Is, and loved it. Also, Elizabeth Berg's True to Form. Also, some healthy cookbooks...all in brand new conditon for 1.00 each. I know how you love a bargain too!
Enjoy your books and be sure to pass on any beauty secrets..

Bebe said...

Hi Rhoda!

Just finding your blog for the first time and I'm so glad I did! Everything is so pretty and we have so much in common! Besides being Georgia girls, (I know you're in AL now, but once a peach always a peach!) we also share a love of antiques, flea-marketing, flowers, beauty....kindred-souls! :)

Loved looking at your snow pics ~ haven't seen any of the white stuff over here on the Georgia coast yet, but it is supposed to be chilly for the next couple of days. Brrrr...

I've added you to my faves and I'll be back over from time to time to see what pretties you've posted! Love the Southernness that just flows through your blog!!

Blissfully, Bebe :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, snow in Alabama! I love the south, my family is from the south and I long to go back but I really think I'd miss snow. How often do you get snow down there?

Francie
www.Frantichomecook.com

Mary said...

Love your snow pictures, Rhoda! I will think of you this weekend all snug from the cold with your books! :)
xoxo,
Mary

Erin said...

Jodi Picoult is one of my very favorite authors and I have been so lucky to attend two of her book signings - you must read The Pact. Have fun with the snow! Great night to snuggle in front of the fire!

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Rhoda,

Great books you have there...sounds like a relaxing time...and I know what you mean..ain't much time for us working girls - ha!

The snow looks lovely...it's FREEZING cold here, my truck registered -3 today, burrr....

Can't wait to see your dining room light fixture!

Hugs,
Rose

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

You are on the ball girl! You had your pictures posted before the snow melted... and that is really saying something.
I have enjoyed several of Ann George's novels, you do have to have a southern sense of humor. Beth Twitty was on Oprah the other day... did you get to see it? She has been graceful through it all.

Donna said...

Hi Rhoda,
Cute little snowman you managed to put together! Your selection of books look great. I love curling up with a good book when the weather is cold outside.
Have a good day!
Donna

Anonymous said...

It actually snowed quite a bit here too, plus it was 10 degrees this morning! Brrr!

Lynette whatever happened to her? She used to have such a nice show. Enjoy being in your cozy home reading all those wonderful books!

Manuela

BailiwickStudio said...

I wish we'd get some snow! It's a rare treat for us, but it usually happens at least once during the winter. (Although there's been none so far this winter.) There's nothing better than a pile of good books on a blustery day, while sitting next to a window.

Jill

Valerie said...

Luv checking your blog every onece in a while; you have such flair.
I have read a couple of Jodi Piccoult's books and loved each of them. The Anne George books are cute, too. My 13-year old daughter had her daughter as a middle school teacher one year (for some reason I don't think Anne George is her real name; I could be very wrong). Wasn't the snow fun yesterday?

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

Stay warm and toasty. I have read that Beauty Bible before and she tells you what expensive beauty items are worth the price and what cheaper ones are just as good. It's pretty interesting if you like makeup like I do. Your other books look good also. I just got done reading Between Sundays by Karen Kingsbury, such a good book and highly recommend it.

PAT said...

I cannot believe ya'll had snow, Rhoda! We are having chilly temps but no snow. I remember snow falling once, when I lived in Louisiana. It was an amazing sight. Also saw snow in Nashville, when I was living there. It snowed all night and was gone by noon.

I can't wait to see the new light fixture!
Pat

Jen said...

I enjoy checking out cook books at the library. I just returned 2 of Paula Deen's Celebration books with great recipes and entertaining ideas. Also Taste of Home All Time favorite Casseroles......I need to check some more out....maybe I can get the chance to tomorrow.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love the snow too! We have about 5 inches and we don't get snow that often here in NC either. About an hour north of us always seems to get it...

There is nothing better than reading on a snowing day...
Penny

Anonymous said...

Hi,

What a nice array of books. I used to love watching Lynnette Jennings show. I read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi...oh my what a book. I love her writing style. I don't know Ann George...will have to check her out.

Sorry I can't get excited about snow...living in the NE :( but I'm glad you had fun with it !!

Take care,
Kathy :)

Jill said...

We had a lot of fun with the snow this weekend...and a lot of snowmen living in our neighborhood as well! I love Jodi Picoult - I love her! I hope you enjoy her books, too.

Carrie said...

Getting snow must be a special treat when it isn't a regular thing as it is here in New England.
Right now I am enjoying Under the Tuscan Sun by Francis Mayes. I also just read French Tea by Carole Manchester. I'll write about it soon on my blog.
Carrie

tammi said...

Haha, you're welcome for the snow!!

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Rhoda,
Your book selection looks like a great way to spend a weekend!

Is that a new Lynette Jennings book? I have been wondering what happened to Lynette. I used to love her show.

Linda said...

Hi Rhoda,

Thanks for the great snow pix. It reminds me of my days growing up in NY (Long Island). I know how rare it is for there to be snow in AL -- wow! I live in CA now, and rain is about all we ever see, so thanks for the memories.

I just finished reading a book written by a Southern writer, Vera Jane Cook, called Dancing Backward in Paradise that I thoroughly enjoyed! The story is set in Tennessee and New York in the 60's,and is about a young girl's journey to find herself.

It's a really good read -- hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Cheers,
Linda

Vonda said...

Wow Snow in Alabama huh??? Now let me just tell ya Rhoda the snowman is cute but a bit too skinny don't you think??? But hey I know y'all don't get much snow in AL at all so whatever you get is good! -V

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I absolutely ADORE the Southern Sisters books by Anne George. I still mourn the death of that wonderful woman who gave such life to these two characters. If you've not listened to them on audio, do so. The reader is wonderful and has both Mary Alice and Patricia Anne down pat.