Sunday, February 17, 2008

Organizing Revisited



My very sweet friend, Kat, has just passed on these two lovely awards to me. Thank you SO much Kat! I'm amazed at all these awards, so I'll proudly add these to the others I've received.

Wanted to properly thank Kat for that first......






***********************************************Look....I did it!

Remember those recipes I was desperately trying to get organized? Well, I did it! After all the great suggestions of using a binder, I went out and bought a pretty green binder (to match my kitchen, of course) at Walmart, as well as dividers and sheet protectors.
I have 5 tabs to divide everything.
Aren't these dividers cute? I just handprinted the dividers with my choice of labels with a Sharpie. It should come as no surprise that the Dessert tab has the most recipes! And following Manuela's lead at The Feathered Nest, I stopped by Hobby Lobby and got scrapbook paper (and it was on for 1/2 price) to slide in the front and back of my binder. I printed that oval label in Word on my computer on plain paper, cut & glued on. All under the plastic insert. I love it! and now all those pesky recipes are all nice and neat and ready to use.
Harlequin for the end spine.
When you happen upon a good organizing find at a yardsale, don't ever pass it up! I'm always on the lookout for extra bookshelves/storage pieces to put in the house. Found this bakers rack right here in my neighborhood at a yardsale for $5 last weekend and quickly snapped it up. It's not a great piece, rather lightweight metal, and I could repaint it & use it in a room very easily too, but right now don't need it anywhere. I could see it out on a screened porch for a useful purpose later on, but for now it's going in my craft closet. We have this great little room under the stairs that I took over when we moved in (you can see the door in the above pic). It's all mine & that's where my "junque" lands, along with old books, fabric stashes, craft goods, glues, and any misc. things that need a place to sit. I have lined it with old bookcases & yardsale finds, so it is quite useful for me. I had a smaller old wood bookcase in here, which will now be moved to my hubby's little closet in his office, so now he will have more storage space. You can't get too many of these pieces.
Here it has found a new home in the craft closet & actually gives me more room than the older smaller one did. Can't beat that for a find. I can even hang bags off the sides of it for more multi-purpose organizing. This is where things land that I can't let go of, along with a filing cabinet and the vacuum cleaner. It's nice to have a little space that's all mine. I can close the door & it disappears! And when I need to find some quick inspiration for a project, this is where I go.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

34 friends stopped by:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I am currently having a love affair with my decorating notebooks.......but I need to pretty them up......thanks for the inspiration :-) Rosie

Judy said...

Good morning Rhoda! I love your cookbook/notebook organizer. I'm trying to get organized myself. I've always kept my decorating mags under the bed(s) in those long narrow under-the-bed plastic bins but also have lots of pages I've torn out of magazines. I bought a black portable file tote and put those hanging green files in there...I just put all my torn pages in there and it's so nice! I also have a "love affair" with clothes and I have a three ring binder that I put pics in that show clothes I like and how to accessorize them, etc.
I'm working on a new project (revamping office/nursury/junk room) but I've put it on hold until after our vacation next week.
Love ya - Judy

Debra from Bungalow said...

Love that! You made it real pretty too!

I have a big closet where I can stash all the junque I can't bear to part with too. It's great to have a space like that.
Hugs, DebraK

PS. congrats on your well deserved awards!

Nan said...

Love the new recipe binder. Very organized and nice that you can change out the paper if you want a new look.
What a deal on the baker's rack. Great for storage.
Hugs,
Nan

marmielu said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog for a bit, but never posted. That bakers rack is just wonderful - especially at the price you paid. Even if it is lightweight metal. I have longed to find one of those for my entry hall at a yard sale. Of course, then I would have to remove the very nice antique oak dresser I have there, but it stays for now.

I like what you finally did with those recipes. Very spiffy!

Mary Lou

Cindi said...

Hi Rhoda! This is my first comment to your blog. I enjoy it very much! We live on a limited budget so I love to frequent garage and yard sales too. I have both a Goodwill and a Salvation Army within five minutes so I'm there a few times a week also.

Anyway, I love your recipe binder. I have one similiar that I put the recipes in that my family has approved as "repeaters." They are the ones they like and want again. I keep all the rest I pick up from websites, blogs, and friends in a file folders until I try them. If they like it, it goes in to my binder. If they don't, it goes in the circular file.

Cindi

Anonymous said...

I love your recipe binder. Great blog!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I love this. I need to do one. I have alot of my husbands Mother's recipes and I need to get them in some kind of order...Mary

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh I have wanted a new recipe binder for years and years. I don't like to cook but if I was more organized I am sure I would make more interesting things!

Thanks for the inspiration, Rhoda!

xo

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

The rest of us just stash stuff away~ you actually use it!
Good for you---actually good for us!!

Maureen said...

What a great deal you found, yet again! And you did a great job with organizing those recipes. I have seen those exact materials at Walmart and they are very colorful! I was surprised they had so many different dividers and folders to choose from too! I need to make a list and go back soon And, you've reminded me I have to go collect some of the rewards that have been passed on to me and post them at my blog! I recall you passing some to me a while back!

Free Art Printables said...

5$!!!!! That's almost FREE!!! What a great find..Ahhh, I yearn for yard sale season. Please keep us posted on your finds so I can live vicariously through you! Here in Chi town it's about 5 degrees and we had some hail today....
Jen R

Rosemary said...

Looks like a good organizing time was had. Congrats on the award!!
Have a great week,
Rosemary

Justabeachkat said...

The recipe holder turned out great. I need to do the same thing. Maybe soon......

Hope your weekend was wonderful.
Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
Great to know I'm not the only one with a craft closet that isn't totally organized, but you are certainly getting there! And I love your recipe book! Great idea! Keep the ideas coming, Girl!

Anonymous said...

You always find the best deals at yard sales! I can't wait for them to start around here. I'll be going and looking at things differently now, thanks to you and seeing how you use things.

Sandi McBride said...

I did that with all my recipes last fall...I started out with one notebook and ended up with four. But at least there is some organization to the madness now! I love your shelving unit...I need more bookshelves, period!
hugs
Sandi

Tara said...

You had an organizing weekend! I love the feeling I get when things are in order..and i never would have thought of using the baker's rack as you did but it was perfect!!

Deserae said...

Love your new cookbook and how you personalized it :o) The little iron piece is cute and looks great even as an organizing tool in your closet :o) I wish I had a little closet like yours.......
Have a great week!
~Des

Anonymous said...

Don't you just feel GREAT after a job like that...like when all the beds have clean sheets on them !!!

The notebook came out great...would you mind posting a picture of it opened for the full effect :)

Hope you had a nice week-end.
Kathy :)

ps great find on the bakers rack..I have one that I used on my back deck, mine has solid shelving on some of the racks...it's great for parties etc

Kristi said...

Glad the recipe binder worked out for you! How pretty! I'll have to show mine off someday. I just purchased page protectors with 3x5 inserts for my recipe cards so I'll have it all in one place.

Congrats on all the awards, you'll have to build yourself a virtual shelf to house them all! LOL.

By the way, if you have a moment, have you ever painted a flower pot? We have this huge terra cotta pot that looks like it should be pretty, but just isn't, it is a bit discolored and looks dirty, but the dirt won't budge. The previous owners left it, so it was "free". On one hand I don't mind getting rid of it, but on the other, why not just refurbish it! I just thought today (you and your repainting things inspired me) that maybe I could paint it a lighter color, even do some faux texture. Not too crazy, as there is an embossed floral border. Do you know what kind of paint to use on terra cotta that will be outdoors and last? Any ideas for prettying it up?

Thanks! - Kristi

Anonymous said...

Really like your binder. I gave my daughter the supplies to make her one, back some time ago - need to ask her if she got it made. Great deal on the baker's rack. Glenda

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I love your binder it's so pretty!! It's inspiring!! I would LOVE to do one....hopefully time will allow one of these days!!

What a great deal on that baker's rack!! And it's a great way to use it!!

Donna said...

Wow, I can't believe you found the bakers rack for $5.00!
I like what you did with the recipe binder. Very nice!
Donna :)

Elle Jay Bee said...

I Love all the organizing finds!! You are so creative...

Congrats on the award! You certainly deserve it!!

Linda
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I have a big closet that I take things and put away and pull back out. Hard to pass up a good find.

kari and kijsa said...

**Shhhh!**
You are invited to a SURPRISE BLOGGY BIRTHDAY PARTY for kari this Wednesday, Feb 20.
She is turning 40!!!

I would love for you to stop by the party on Wednesday to surprise (hopefully!) the birthday girl, enjoy a bite of cake, sprinkle a little of your magic birthday dust, and check out the party favor giveaway!

blessings,
kijsa

Essential Oil Premier University said...

$5? Great find Rhoda!! I agree, we need our own little place in the home to store our treasures. . . out of the way. . . to keep whatever we want. I have such a room like that in our basement. It's all mine!!

Blessings,

Shet

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Thanks for stopping by and your prayers for Aaron. What a great deal on the Bakers Rack. Your scrape book is darling.
Hugs,
Sue

Nunnie's Attic said...

Well, I have recipes stashed everywhere you can possibly think. So thanks for this inspiration. And not to sound nasty...but I love that you have a room in your house that isn't perfect. Your home is so beautiful, so inspiring ... a little intimidating. Your room shows me that you're human and I love that!

Love,
Julie

Michelle said...

I just discovered your blog and have really enjoyed reading all the archives. You've really inspired me with ideas for my own home. I'm working on organizing my own cookbook too - so I know what a chore it can be. Love yours!

Anonymous said...

Hi girlfriend!
I haven't been able to open your blog the past few days, but today it opened for me! Yea!
I LOVE YOUR RECIPE NOTEBOOK! Just love it!!


xo,
Kim

willzmom said...

I'd just love to come and play in your secret closet! Looks like it's full of good stuff.

Unknown said...

Your ideas are amazing! Thank you for sharing..I love to redo ugly things(take a look at the sofa I recovered)! Makes me want to go paint everything! Do you paint wood pieces that have a veneer? My Grandma had 2 side tables but I think they're veneered on top. If I sand and prime them do you think they'd be okay? Thank you again!
Blessings, Ginnie