Sunday, June 22, 2008

Italian Chicken

We'll get to the recipe in just a minute, but first I'll show you my yardsale finds for the weekend. Me and my friend from Atlanta, Judy, had a great time out there on Saturday a.m. We left my house before 6:30 and were tooling around scoping out the neighborhood sale not too far from me. There were over 20 sales in all and we both got some nice things. Judy got some black candle holders and a couple of decorative pieces for her patio.


This was a neat find above, all for $3....3 custom made large valances that are lined, with rod pockets. I can definitely use 2 of them as valances in my master bathroom. This fabric will be great with our blue walls and I'm getting bamboo Roman shades for the windows. I have new rugs from Ballards coming soon for that bathroom (sample on the fabric), so I'll be sure to show you the updates as I get them done. I figure I'll use these for now and if I decide on some different fabric later on, I sure won't be out much $$.

I scored the 2 English Johnson Brothers red transferware plates, $4 for both. Two bracelets, $1.00 each. I have lots of blue and green I can wear these with. White Homer Laughlin dish was 25 cents and the shells were 50 cents at another sale.
A great find of the day for my hubby's office, another Alabama football addition of this Bear Bryant print. This is a signed print by Daniel Moore, who is very well known here in Birmingham for his sports pictures. The certificate is in an envelope on the back and I got it for $5!
My hubby was thrilled. It looks great in his office and we are well on our way to an Alabama football thing in there. I always keep my eyes open for more Alabama football items.
A really cute INC shirt was $2, in my favorite color no less.
And this really cute, brand new purse was $15. It's from an online purse company, called B's Purses. This is a home party business that was started here in Birmingham by a girl named Susan, who I met last year at a Bible study. This yardsale was in her neighborhood and these are some purses she put out in the yardsale. These custom made purses retail for over $100, so I was happy to buy one at such a discount. And since I love black and white, this one was perfect for me. This enterprising young company has been all over the news and in magazines, so go and take a look if you're interested. They do home parties, just like many other businesses do and I've heard they are very successful.

So, that was the weekend...all in all, very rewarding on the yardsale front!
*****************************************
Now here's a new chicken recipe for y'all to try:
Looking for yet one more chicken recipe? We probably all get tired sometimes of the same-old, same-old chicken dishes. Here's an easy one that's quick to put together and is delicious too. If you like Italian flavors, you'll love this. I found it years ago in the first cookbook I ever bought, a big International style cookbook. I've made it for years and it is really good! I'm not going to list amounts, because this is according to how many chicken breasts you want to cook at one time. I usually do 3 at a time. Just add the ingredients to taste. They all mix together well.

Italian Chicken

3 to 6 boneless chicken breasts
Drizzle olive oil over the chicken breasts, add salt & pepper & the following dried herbs sprinkled on top of the chicken:

Basil
Oregano
Red pepper flakes (if you like a little heat!)

Add one can diced tomatoes, one small can Kalamata olives, and diced onion & garlic on top of the chicken. Place foil over top of dish & bake at 350* for one hour.

Take it out of the oven and it looks like this, with lots of yummy juices. Add your favorite rice as a side dish and a fresh salad or any veggie. It's a meal! Those Kalamata olives really bring out the flavor.
Buon Appetito!
*********************************
I was tagged with Five Favorite things by Diane at Picture is Worth 1000 Words, and Nancy from Southern Lady, so I'll do a quick summary on that:
*Reading in my swing
*Ice Cream and Watermelon (no, not together!)
*White Creamware
*Watching my flowers grow
*All my friends and family

Stumble Upon Toolbar

42 friends stopped by:

Gone said...

GREAT FINDS!! GREAT RECIPE, too! I love reading your blog and seeing all the pics and updates!

~Blessings,
Jan

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I have been looking forward to seeing the bargains you got when you posted that you were going again. I especially love your new green top. Bet you hubby loved the print.
Thanks for posting your 5 favorite things.
I really enjoy keeping up with your blog!
Diane

Southerner said...

Great finds! Daniel's brother, Billy (and Holly )live in Niceville and we were good friends with them. It is funny because Daniel has made AL prints for them as Christmas gifts and they have a bunch. They are Auburn fans- both Billy and Holly went to AU. So they have prints all over their home. They love that he did them and how talented he is at adding so much into the print. They are really expensive!

Free Art Printables said...

Great stuff! I love the purse and top....You have sucha great sense if style! Jen R

Anonymous said...

Rhoda strikes again! It amazes me how you find things that fit your style so perfectly. Hubby must be thrilled with your find for him too!
I'll be trying the chicken...looks pretty low cal also.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I always love coming to see what you get at garage sales. I love that bag.

The recipe sounds delicious, and you're right, I am always looking for another way to prepare chicken.

Shirlee said...

I'm always in awe at what you find at yard sales, and the incredible prices. The purse is great, love the polka dots.
I have bamboo roman blinds in my kitchen and really like them.

Anonymous said...

I am just so impressed with your ability to find such great things at yard sales. Your bathroom color scheme is fantastic, and I have spent such an enjoyable time reading every post!

Vickie said...

Oh wow thanks for the recipe I'm going to be trying it out on my crew very soon.

Bonita said...

That was the exact material I wanted for curtains in my house several years ago, but it's a Waverly pattern and the price was prohibitive. You got a good deal!

I love the Johnson Bros. dishes too. I bought some just like them at a clearance table in a local upscale department store a few weeks ago. Isn't great to find them at such tremendous prices?

The purse- awesome! Love those polka dots and black and white.

I went yard saling yesterday too and every time I looked at something I thought of you and Nester. I found some really good deals too including more tea dishes that you can see on my blog. Like I really needed more tea dishes!

Love those yard sales!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, great deals! Can you believe I wasn't out saling this weekend?! Nope, I was feeling a bit lethargic so decided to sleep in....lol....
The rug & valences will look fantastic together! Now tell me all about the bamboo blinds please!!! I've been looking for some for my LR. I looked at penney's & in a few catalogs but I'm sure you know where to get the best deal! Since I'm retired I find myself spending more time in there in the evening & think I'd like a little more window coverage.

My MIL makes that same recipe without the olives. She calls it her EYEtalion chicken! It's good.
Hugsxx, DebraK

Bo said...

The garage sale early birds do get the goodies, don't they? Love all your new found treasures!! And I just so happen to have a pkg. of chicken breasts thawing in the fridge right this moment...so thank you for an easy change of pace recipe...sounds delish! Happy weekend to you, Brown-Eyes

PAT said...

Wow...great finds, Rhoda!

The chicken looks good. I'll give this recipe a try. Thanks!

Our company is leaving this afternoon. We've had several fun filled days, since her arrival!

I was tagged for five favorites too and will try to get to them this week. I enjoyed reading your
list.

Pat

Michelle said...

Great finds! I especially like the Alabama find for your hubby's office and the transferware!

Can't wait to see the newly transformed bathroom with the new fabric!

Natasha said...

Rhoda,Wonderful finds :) I am so excited to get my move over and done with so I can go yard selling. You find the greatest itmes. If I lived closer to ya I would love to hit some yard sales
Take Care
Natasha
South Carolina Bound

Teresa said...

Nice bargains! The recipe for Italian Chicken sounds so good...I think I'll fix it for dinner this evening. The pictures on your last post about the berries are just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, Check this blog out...the first picture has transferware plates similiar to yours. I love her decorating style and thought this would be an inspiration for you. http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/
Mary

Anonymous said...

Love, Love, Love the Johson Brother's plates! Those are my favorite to collect!
I the Italian chicken sounds divine. I'll add that to my recipe file to try soon! Wishing you a beautiful week!
~Jen

ohiofarmgirl said...

I am certainly going to try this recipe...it sounds so wonderful...please keep sharing!!! Dianntha

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I need that polka dot bag!! Too cute.

Cottage Rose said...

Boy you have some great yard sales down yonder.I love the plates, how pretty they are. And the bath room curtains and rug are going to nice. Hope to see some photos when you are done. Have a great week.

hugs;
Alaura

Jenny said...

You always get the greatest things from yard sales. And the chicken looks delish!

Sheila said...

Great bargains, I need to come and go shop with you!
My daughter Brittney is a huge Alabama fan!
Have a blessed day!
Smile:)
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Great finds! Love the transferware! And I heard that Daniel Moore prints shot up in value after the controversy a few years back. I don't know if that's true or not, but worth cheking in to. Either way, it's a great deal.

I have 5 weeks off the wedding schedule. Guess what I'll be doing on Saturday mornings!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for that yummy looking recipe. Lovely finds from the yard sales - my favorite is the purse ~ what a steal at that price compared to the original.
Have an oustanding week.
Blessings,
Sandy :)

Stacy said...

Ok... I almost just licked my computer screen. YUM, that chicken meal looks scrumptious. Maybe I will give it a try!

Unknown said...

Great finds! I have those same red and white plates. Love them!

Chicken looks incredible! So super yummy!!

I'm thinking that watermelon and ice cream might actually be good together!

Justabeachkat said...

Great finds again. You go girl! Love the green shirt. The recipe sounds very yummy so I'll have to give it a try.

Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Hugs!
Kat

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Rhonda; Thank you so much for your nice comment, and thank you for stopping by for a visit it meant so much to me. I hope you stop by again. Again Thank you. I am loving meeting new friends.

hugs;
alaura

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get over here and see you.

Happy belated Anniversary!! May you have many many happy years together :)

I love this chicken recipe! Great Bargains too :)

Have a beautiful night.
hugs,
rue

becky said...

Hi Rhoda!
I am once again impressed with your fabulous finds! I love it all, but I must say that I have been specifically looking for a red transferware plate and haven't found it yet...and I'm sure that when I do do, it won't compare to your bargain price!
Thanks for the recipe...I'm always looking for something new to do with chicken! :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Great scores on the sales. I am most envious of the AL print. My son would have flipped had I found something like that. Amesome!

I am certinaly going to try that chicken recipe.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful finds... I love those plates! Susie H

Rosemary said...

You always seem to find the best stuff. Pretty good Italian recipe for a Southern Girl.
Rosemary

Alyce said...

hi..can you tell me more on the Homer Laughlin dishes? My sister in law and I went thrifting last week and found some pretty Homer Laughlin dishes, but didn't know anything about them.
Thanks!

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda, I love the things you found yard saleing and the chicken dish looks very tasty. Deb

Bo said...

Re: Italian Chicken
I fixed your recipe last night and DH raved...now after eating my cooking for 40 years, that's saying something...LOL. I used some ripe olives and some green olives, because the kalamata olives were $4.98...ouch1 It was still delicious..Thanks again. Have a blessed day, Brown-Eyes

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Brown-eyes, I'm so glad you tried it! OK, on the kalamata olives. Take a look at Walmart & they have small cans for less than $2. Those are the ones I buy & they have plenty for a dish like this. I stock up on them and use them for lots of things, including pizza topping.

Rhoda

Sandy said...

Love the green shirt and purse!
Chix recipe looks fabulous too!
Hugs!

Unknown said...

Great deals Rhoda! I love the bracelets and shirt. Looks like a wonderful recipe too. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Hood said...

love the yard sale items!! and the dish? yuummmm