Sunday, June 29, 2008

Living with Blue and White

Blue and White Living; By: Stephanie Hoppen

Photographs by: Fritz Von Der Schulenburg

Any blue and white fans out there? I recently checked this book out at the library and thought I'd share with all of you who enjoy this combo. If you get a chance to get this book, take a look at it. There are many beautiful and inspiring photos of blue and white. I have not always been a fan of blue and white, but do enjoy many inspirational pics when I see them and I have incorporated blue and white in my own home to satisfy my hubby's need for this color around him. And, it's growing on me.... From Blue & White Living
From Blue & White Living From Blue & White Living Photo: Deborah Whitlaw for Coastal Living

And here are more from Southern Accents online that I found and thought I'd share.
Photo: Jean Allsopp; Stylist: Lisa Powell for Southern Living Photo: Pieter Estersohn; Designer: Eric Prokesh for Southern Accents Photo: John O'Hagan; Stylist: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell, Jan Gautro, and Kiersten Moore for Cooking Light Photo: Shelley Metcalf for Coastal Living
Photo: John O'Hagan for Coastal Living
Photo: Jean Allsopp; Designer: Lynn Morgan for Coastal Living
From Coastal Living: Photo: Deborah Whitlaw Llewellyn; Designer: Louise and Carrie Hurlbutt

Now, does this make you want to live with more blue and white? It's such a cool and summery feel and perfect for this time of year. Hope you got some great ideas on how to incorporate more blue and white if you enjoy this combo. It's definitely growing on me.

Speaking of blue and white, I'm working on my masterbath with a few updates. I've got 2 Ballards rugs coming for our vanity areas and I found a great deal on some bamboo Roman shades for the windows. Those 2 yardsale valances I found in blue/gold/white will also be showing up on the windows and I think I've got something fun figured out on how to make them work for me without being too boring. I'll be sharing that very soon!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 friends stopped by:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I am not a blue girl but I adore the cream popcorny weave on the coverlet of the bed!

Anonymous said...

Not really a fan of blue and white, in clothes but not around the house, unless of course it's near the water.

Nice pics though.

Kathy :)

Maureen said...

Having had my share of blue decor over the years, I try to temper it a bit these days because of the fade quotient--not that I don't love blue- I read somewhere that it's universally claimed as the most common favorite color! My very first kitchen was in an old victorian house we helped my brother renovate. At the time, the old wooden cupboards overwhelmed the small dark kitchen, so we painted them white, added a red brick floor and the rest of the room was blue and white- lots of gingham checks too. Fond memories! We've added a bit of blue back into our decor over the past year or so, and we're liking it mixed in with our neutrals. My favorite place to enjoy blue and white is in the garden!

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Good morning. I'm a blue and white fan and enjoyed your b & w pictures and the shopping tour.
I had that book on b & w many years ago but got rid of it during one of my decluttering episodes. I'm really looking forward to the b & w book that Carolyne Roehm has coming out in the fall.
Sure wish we had some of the stores that you posted about. Here in the Metro Detroit area these type of stores are closing left and right. Things are really bad around here for so many of the people that have been in the auto industry. I really miss the great stores that have closed up shop.
Thanks for the post. I would love to move down your way one of these day if only I could get all my family to come along too ;)
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

I adore blue and white! I collect blue and white pottery. It is so clean and crisp and tranquil. Loved the photos. Thanks for sharing with us, Rhoda!
Brenda

Janet said...

I have always had blue and white starting with my grandmother's Blue Willow dishes. My collection just grows and once in a while I thin it out, but more pieces just appear..how does that happen?? I love it and just consider it a classic that can fit in anywhere.

Janet

Anonymous said...

I'm not a blue and white decor person but I love that last picture. I could have star fish all over the house for summer decorating.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I like Blue and white, but as accents-not a whole room devoted to it. That is to overwhelming for me. It feels crowded. In moderation....

Anonymous said...

I could use Rosie's comments word for word. I am in love with that coverlet.

Sorry about the inconvenience on my post verification. I have been badly burned, and I completely understand why some people choose it. I hope you will still visit.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I enjoyed the pictures. I love blue and white..so crisp, clean and serene.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the bath valances.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, what a beautiful post today! I do love blue and white, but don't really have any rooms colored that way right now. I like blue and white with a little touch of yellow like the first bedroom you've shown. I could really live in some of those rooms. Hope you're having a lovely Sunday. Shelia ;)

Bonita said...

I love blue and white. That bathroom with the big toile-like wallpaper and the plaid skirt is awesome!

Linda said...

I've been a hugh fan of blue and white for years now. Not so much in furniture but in accessories such as plates, vases, etc.

I have alot of blue and white in my home...funny thing is...I always thought pink was my favorite color!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I don't have any blue and white in my house, but this makes me wish I did! There are some gorgeous rooms here. Thanks for sharing them with us! -Julia :-)

Nancy Hood said...

I always look forward to seeing your creative works!! can't wait!

Kimba said...

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. I love a blue/white combo particularly in the bedroom or bathroom. I was really inspired by the bathroom pictures you posted.

I linked to your post on painting furniture black at the end of my post today. I hope that's OK.

I also added you to my faves. You have such beautiful taste. I love visiting here.

Kim

ohiofarmgirl said...

I love the pic but I have never been able to pull the blue color off and be happy with it. But this time of year it seem like it would be a good choice. Thanks for sharing. Dianntha

Anonymous said...

Somthing about blue and white that I just love. Maybe it's the coolness of it. It always looks so good together... perfect match! Susie H~

Bo said...

Yet another entertaining and enjoyable post from you! The pictures you shared with us makes me want to strip a room and go blue & white (almost)...I do have a black & white toile bedroom and can't bring myself to ever change it... :-) Brown-Eyes

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Blue and white has always been popular at the Cottage..I have a small selection on the webshop.

I love it with not only a yellow accent but orange too!

(())

Elle Jay Bee said...

Funny, although I can certainly be accused of loving blue and white, I definitely just love it in certain shades...and in smaller doses. I love using the fresher, beachy duo of watery blues, seagrass, and crisp white, but not the navy blues, wedgewoods, and fussier toile fabrics. I can admire them in others' homes, but for me, I need a more tranquil, soothing palette. Differences in everyone's style makes it all so much more interesting, doesn't it? Thanks for the peek inside the book. You are always inspiring in all that you post!!!

Sandi McBride said...

You know, I would never have thought about blue and white as a decor choice but it certainly makes the rooms appear cooler which would be a boon around here these days! Thanks for the tip...
Sandi

Beth said...

I love blue and white and always have it somewhere in my house...even when it's not in style like it is right now!

If my kitchen was a separate room I would have white cabinets and do a combination of blue, white, and apple green for decor. In this house, though, our kitchen, dining area, and living room all flow together. So I only use small touches of blue along with the warmer berries, greens, and tans that are in the other spaces.

I do have a calm, cool, blue and white master bathroom. It's a nice contrast to our very warm and cozy master bedroom. I like very fresh colors for baths.

Cindy said...

You know I love blue and white!!! I loved looking at these photos!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I do love blue and white, though I don't have any in our home. The photo of the living room with the aqua armoire is my style - hands down! Love the bathroom with the white subway tiles and claw foot tub - totally c-u-t-e!

:)
Becky

Mary said...

Lovely!!! The first pic you showed was my ABSOLUTE fave. I also saw a bedroom at a designer showcase recently that really called out to me -- cream panelled walls, lovely windows and fireplace, ceiling with a large oval outlined in half round, all painted with a trompe l'oiel sky. a few well-chosen accents of blue and lavender around the room. It was marvelous!
xoxo,
Mary

Claire said...

I just found your blog through someone elses' and I know I'll be adding you to my blogroll so I can easily return.

Blue has been my favorite color since I was old enough to know what color is. I adore blue & white with a punch of yellow. Currently, I don't have blue & white rooms, but I do have a touch of blue in my DR, LR & kitchen. I have a boatload of a blue & white toile Waverly fabric (Swan Lake) that I want to use in my bedroom, but I need other colors/patterns to coordinate.

I'll be back............. Happy
4th of July!