Sunday, August 17, 2008

Almond Cream Cheese Bundt

Before we get to the recipe, I had to show you my yardsale finds for the weekend. Again, I wasn't going to go out, but spotted two close by in the paper and stopped by on my way to the gym. Am I glad I did! Most of you know I have a real obsession with bunnies...but only really cute and special bunnies. Not the cheap kind that you find in the discount stores, but really pretty bunnies only. I've got too many already, but there's always room for a couple more when they are special bunnies. This little plaque above was $1. Too cute to pass up and see what color is in there....aqua! You know what that means.
And at the same sale, this really pretty pottery bunny bowl was $8. It has a certificate inside, so apparently it's a collectible (the lady told me it was originally $50...I'll do some research on it). Do you see that aqua color again? I think it's a sign that the guestroom needs to be aqua. These things will be really cute in that room. I finally told hubby my plans for changing out the guestroom and he is fine with it as long as I use things I buy and get rid of what I don't need. I can do that! I may be having my own yardsale before too long.

Here's another fun little story for ya! My hubby's maternal grandma Eleanor lives with his mom about 1/2 hour from us. Eleanor has a little house near downtown that is going to be put up for sale soon. Nothing fancy, just a small 2 bedroom cottage. Hubby looks out for the two of them, since they no longer have husbands. It's a circus over there. We are constantly dealing with almost 90-year old Eleanor's delusions of what she is going to do. First, it was buying land and building a log cabin. That was last year. This year, it's moving back into that little house by herself. It ain't gonna happen! Hubby had to take away her car keys in the last couple of weeks and you would think he had tied her up and tortured her. She goes back and forth with being mean and snarly to being thankful for the help. We know it's her age, but it's a trip to deal with. Anyway, a few weeks ago before her keys were taken away, she took off to Lowes by herself to buy paint for that little house. She ended up with a color call Tangerine Dream (can you say orange sherbet?) and another aqua color that she wants to use in the bedroom. The aqua is not so bad. I took her back to Lowes last week and had them remix the 3 peach gallons to something more liveable and less peachy and it should work now. She thinks she is going over there to paint. She's not.

She took me up to the attic to see all the stuff that's up there that she has been hoarding...she is a BIG hoarder (I had heard all about the attic, but had never been up there). She has stuff ALL OVER the house. So up we go. There's all sorts of art work lining the stairs going up there. Nice original pieces of art that she did and her former art instructor did. Going to waste in the attic. She has artwork ALL over the house, on the walls, leaning in the hallways, bunches of art that she painted and others painted. I got a few pieces from her right after we got married and have a really pretty pear painting in my kitchen that her instructor painted, a beautiful watercolor. Anyway, back to this story. She tells me she has an aqua chair up there that she's had for a long time that has a slipcover. She wants to put it in the little house to set it up for sale. She thinks she's going to take all sorts of things over there to make the house ready for sale. We've all decided that it's probably not worth it to haul furniture over there to sell the house, so we will just get it cleaned up and painted and then it will go on the market. We'll go over soon and look at the house (I'll have to take pics to show y'all). Hubby's sister has been living in the house for a few years and just moved out.

So, all that to say this....that aqua slipcovered chair is adorable! It's a wingback and she sewed this pretty aqua slipcover for it no telling how long ago. The slipcover goes all the way to the floor. I asked her if I could borrow it and she said I could once she was finished with it in the little house. So, that's going to be my mission. To get the aqua chair for my room redo. I'll let you know how it goes. It's sitting in their attic collecting dust. Why not get it for my guestroom?
Last find at the yardsale, this faux concrete planter for $1. I'll paint this to look more weathered and bring it in for one of my faux palms.
******************************************************

Here is yet another yummy breakfast (or dessert) treat. This was a big hit in our Sunday School group when I took it for breakfast one morning. There is cream cheese rolled in sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg inside each of these rolls before they are baked. I think next time, I will cut up the cream cheese and put it between the layers of rolls and that will save some time stuffing them. That was the time-consuming part and I bet it would be just as good! You also pour melted butter mixed with brown sugar over it before it bakes. The taste is out of this world delish.
Served with fresh strawberries, it was a wonderful treat.
I forgot to take a pic of mine after it came out of the oven. I was racing to get out the door to church, but I borrowed this off of Rhodes website. Rhodes is a brand name of frozen breads, but I didn't use Rhodes, but one I found at Publix by Bridgeford. It calls for 24 frozen yeast rolls. Instead of printing out the recipe, I'll just link you to the Rhodes website and you can print from there.
This is all that was left, so I think that's a pretty good indication of how well-loved it was! Give it a try sometime, your friends and family will thank you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

49 friends stopped by:

Sue said...

Oh, Rhoda.....your bedroom MUST be aqua...too many good things to go in it. When YOU have a yardsale please let us know.
You better hurry and get in that little cottage. I'm sure it is full of treasures.

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Hi Rhoda


Doesn't that look yummy!

Blogger said...

I heart those bunnies, too, especially that aqua bowl one, wow!

Can't wait to see the aqua room all done up:)

That recipe looks yummy, we love almond flavored things, I will have to try it :)

Bella
PS: My dining room needs HELP, lol, can you lend your talented eye to my current post? Thanks :)

Bo said...

Another wonderfully entertaining blog from you...I can just imagine Grandma's many treasures. Yum-yum recipe was a bonus for all of us today. ;-) Brown-Eyes

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Guess I'm feeling a little sentimental this morning...the story about the granny has tears in my eyes!

It is so sweet of you and hubby to help her and spend time with her! She sounds like a handful...wonder if we will all be like that one day...driving to Lowes to buy paint one day and having our car keyes taken the next?

Enough of that...love your bunny finds! I can't wait to see what you do with that room. I know you probably saw it, but Pat Backyard Musings did her dining room aqua. It looks wonderful.
Hope you have a great day,
Diane

Amy said...

ummm....YUM! My mouth is watering!!

Amy

Anonymous said...

oooh can't wait to see it all done! sweet as story, love to read real stories on blogs, so so much better than a magazine, don't you reckon

thanks for the heads up on the article, how funny and amazing that a newspaper all that way away would feature me and my little BeachCottage???!!! too good! I'd be really really grateful if you could send me a copy if it's not too much trouble for you

now I'm about to turn the light off here in Autralia, it's late and I just updated my blog on the laptop after a busy weekend celebrating my birthday and eating too much chocolate cake

oh and by the way I registrered on bloglines and added blogs, not sure how you see whether or not one has been updated tho...

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, After reading the store of your character in-laws I thought for sure we would get to see a picture of the chair!!! NO Fair!
Love the cement bowl...and the room has to be aqua...Your yard sale mojo is telling you so!

Anonymous said...

Great finds, Rhoda. I hope you get that chair.

That recipe looks and sounds delicious. I will follow your link.

Legacies For You said...

Your account of the little house and its treasures makes me yearn for your future photos. Kudos on your yard sale finds. Right now aqua is fast turning into my favorite accent color for black (which is replacing my favorite chocolate brown and aqua combo). Your guest room redo plans sound like they are coming together almost mystically!

Anonymous said...

I DO love those bunny finds! I am picky about my bunnies, too. Everyone of them is a keeper.

I'm also looking forward to your redo--and I was for sure we'd see a chair photo! :-)

Oh, my heart just twinged a bit over the granny story. I hope my love of "stuff" doesn't make my kids too nuts when I'm 90 and driving around to buy paint and going to antique malls. It is so hard to lose your indedpendence---it's equally as hard on the person having to "remove" the keys that serve as a source of independence. I pray I will know when it is time to "give em up" so my family doesn't have to deal with the fear of me being on the streets. We've been in the same situation with family--it isn't fun. Keeping a sense of humor about it helps---but boy is it difficult!

Love the looks of that breakfast treat---I will go over to the web site and get that recipe! Thanks. dana

Mikki said...

I happened across your blog through someone else's (can't remember whose though). I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
I LOVE the thought of aqua with that black and white bedding. Hope you do it. Perfect with your cute bunny finds too. Have tons of fun!!

Anonymous said...

I may have to try this recipe. My old school friend, "auntpittypat" is coming, all the way from Wisconsin, for a couple days next week and I'm looking for easy breakfast ideas. We don't want to be in the kitchen all day!:-) This looks very good!

I know how ya'll feel about Peter's g'mother and taking the keys and going through stuff. It's so hard for us to let go of our independence. We've done this with both our Mothers. In many ways it was a heartbreaking time, for us and for them.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, you know I'm going to vote on the aqua color. Blue is my favorite color, and that includes almost all shades of it. Sea shades are a definite winner!

The recipe looks de-lish, but I have to avert my eyes for now... diet, that ugly four-letter word, is in order right now.

Loved the bunnies and your other finds. They will be great in your house. That chair sounds fun, too, and I hope you get it for your room.

As to the staging, I'm sure if you did it, the house would sell quickly. Might be fun! :-)

Love,

Sheila

Karin said...

Oh, Rhoda. Don't you want to just get up in that attci and DIG? I'd be dying to!!!! No telling what all is up there.

Love your bunnies. I have some bunny things in my attic just collecting dust. I should get them down and pass them along. Shame to waste them.

Off to get that recipe. Looks yummy.

nikkicrumpet said...

Love the bunny bowl...very unique. I'd be going CRAZY wanting to go through the attic...there is nothing like beautiful art!

ohiofarmgirl said...

What a story you have...but I love your little bunnies...my mil collects them too. Dianntha

Gina said...

What wonderful finds from your yardsale journey at incredible prices! So sorry to hear about the diffifulties you are going through with the family, you and your husband have much patience and very big hearts. I hope the aqua slip covered chair makes it your way : ) Boy all those lovely photos sure make me hungry : )

Rickrack and Pompoms said...

Oh, I'd love to see a picture of the little chair. Attics are so fun, you never know what you will find. Your blog is fabulous!

Ms. Tee said...

Love the bunnies - especially the aqua one! What a sweet story about grandma with the orange paint. :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

OH Rhoda! I am sooo going to make that breakfast cake. Looks delish. Hope you aquire the chair!

I was on my way to Jemison tp pick last week when I was wiaitng for my ride to show...saw you link. I am going to post this week and link you as well. I dont think I went into the same antiques place as you though. Mine was just a like up from restaurant, tirn right and down the road 2 miles. Certinaly no the same. where was yours?
My story will ruin this week-again-linking yours.
have a great week!

Unknown said...

that recipe looks so YUMMY! Love the bunny bowl!

Twice as Nice said...

Hi Rhoda. Lisa from British Colonial Love Affair gave us our first blog award and we would like to pass it on to you. We love your blog so much. You always have a great tips in just about every subject and never have a boring post. How do you do it? Love everything from the yard sale too. You are always one lucky shopper.

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.My.Word! Between you and Sandi, I feel like I gain weight just visiting you. That dessert looks heavenly. Or maybe I should say devilish! LOL

Great yardsale finds! I'm a bunny lover too.

Hugs!
Kat

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for the recipe...sound so yummy. I'll try it when it cools down here. I was out and found a few treasures, come visit. Love the bunny and hope you get the aqua chair real soon. I wonder what I'll be like when I' an "Old Woman" ???
Warmly, Deb

Cathy said...

Yummmmy, looks delicious!

Marie said...

I hope you end up with aqua in the guest room! I love it in my daughter's room. My favorite color in the house! Eleanor sounds like quite a lady... funny story. :o) Great finds a the yardsale- you always find the best stuff!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh, you can't go up in an attic full of treasures, tell us about it and not show any pictures...ugh! I'll have to go get another cup of coffee to help me through that. I just wanted you to know that you "made" me purchase an heirloom sideboard Saturday. I saw it, and thought of how many steals like this I had passed up at yard sales because it wasn't $5-10 dollars. I rarely get out of the yard sale mentality to purchase larger ticket items. I seriously thought of you and knew you would be proud. I haven't posted lots of pics yet, but I did sneak one it on my post. I didn't put the price, but it's $100 and is in amazing condition...truly a steal, and so glad I got it.

Debra from Bungalow said...

I love looking thru other people's stuff, it's like being on a treasure hunt. Sounds like you hit the jackpot in the attic.
Can't wait to see the chair......with all the aqua you're finding for the redo it seems meant to be.

Dealing with older relatives is sometimes funny, sometimes heartbreaking...it's good they have you guys close to watch over & help.
Hugs, DebraK

Sue said...

Rhoda,
I'm the same way about my bunnies. Love the new plaque you found. That Bundt cake looks delicious but after all the eatting we did over the weekend I think I will pass on it for now.
Love your new profile picture.
Hugs,
Sue

Unknown said...

Glad you decided to go with the guest room re-do! Can't wait to see it. I love the story about your hubbies grandma. My hubbies grandma is 92. She lives in an assisted living center and it is a hoot what all goes on...

~~Liz~~

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Oh my gosh Rhoda you got some amazing things this weekend! How fun for you. You have to love anything with bunnies on it.
Have a blessed day.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

all is right with the world.. i've had my Rhoda-fix now...and of course I leave here starving.

(((((((hugs)))))))))
Kim

La Tea Dah said...

Such a funny story about your adorable relative! The little aqua chair sounds most lovely!

Thank you for the recipe! Sounds delicious!

LaTeaDah

Shirlee said...

Boy, you sure have your hands full with the in-laws. Your adventure to the "attic" must have been fun and aqua is definitely calling your name.
The bread looks de-lish. I made your Asian coleslaw on the weekend for a family dinner and it was a HUGE hit. I kept sneaking into the bowl and grabbing a forkfull. Thank you so much for sharing all your great recipes. :)

Unknown said...

I feel your pain!! Some family members of mine have some wonderful pieces of furniture just sitting in storage. The things I could do with those pieces! There's no real nice way to go about getting them either so I just let them sit there. Every time I see them I want to weep!

BTW, the recipe looks de-lish!!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,

The bunnies are adorable and that recipe looks delish. You always find the nicest things at the yard sales.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I've been finding myself drawn to bunnies too. Not sure why, but they seem to call to me. I've gotten several lately.

I think aqua will be great in your guestroom. Sounds as if you are gathering a lovely collection of pretties for your room.

-- Brandi

Rosemary said...

Yum!!
That looks amazing!
I like bunnies too. I'm with you on they have to be special part.
Have a great week,
Rosemary

Nancy Rosalina said...

Good Evening Rhoda, I have tried a recipe very similar to yours...mine came from Paula Deen..and yes, I remember, that cream cz was a Pain to put inside the rolls! However, it was worth it...so good. I just can't wait to see that room, I can just picture it in my mind and it will be beautiful!!!
BTW, thank you for coming by and taking the time to leave comments...I always look forward to reading them...I value your input! Hope you have a great week! Nancy

Nancy Rosalina said...

Good Evening Rhoda, I have tried a recipe very similar to yours...mine came from Paula Deen..and yes, I remember, that cream cz was a Pain to put inside the rolls! However, it was worth it...so good. I just can't wait to see that room, I can just picture it in my mind and it will be beautiful!!!
BTW, thank you for coming by and taking the time to leave comments...I always look forward to reading them...I value your input! Hope you have a great week! Nancy

Nancy Rosalina said...

So sorry, I hit that publish comment button 2x...Nancy

Connie said...

Rhoda,
You are so good at finding the simplest little treasures. And the bundt cheesecake...too die for! I should tell you when I'm coming to town and swing by for a bite.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you come again soon.
~Connie

Sue said...

Rhoda,
I have an award for you! Stop by my site and get it.
Sue

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Yummy dessert!! It makes me hungry to look at it! And cute bunnies too!
-Carrie

Deserae said...

Ohhhhhh... you picked up some great things this weekend at garage sales!!! Can't wait to see the bedroom transformation....your rooms are always fabulous :o) I might have to try your bundt cake...it looks sooooo delicious!
~Des

Darlene said...

I love those bunnies and the story is just too adorable. I have a little collection of Easter bunnies and I think that is where the love of bunnies came from.
I do hope you get that aqua chair for the aqua room....can't wait to see it!

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

I loved that story! She sounds like fun to me LOL I sure hope you get to borrow that chair ;)

hugs,
rue