Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Kitchen Renovation

One well known fact is that redoing a kitchen brings one of the the biggest bangs for the buck. I think I would have to totally agree with that. Most kitchen renovations I see on TV are done for $25,000 or more. Well, prepare to be amazed at what you can DIY for less than $3,000. My old kitchen in Georgia was built in 1985 and had all the original appliances, as well as the Euro-style cabinets that I just insisted on having when the house was originally built. The house building was overseen by my preacher dad, who also happened to know a thing or two about building. This was the first house (and only house) I lived in when I was a single girl in my late 20's. It was an exciting time, to get my own house for the very first time and I lived in this house for 20 years, from single to married. But, back to those oh-so-trendy Euro cabinets. Why I fell in love with them, I'll never know...but, I did...and the kitchen looked like this.

Aren't they just the most stylish things you've ever seen? I had to have that wallpaper too, somewhere around 1994 or so. Wallpaper was still a desirable thing back then. I've about changed my mind on all things wallpaper these days, but I still like a pretty paper in a certain spot. So, I was married to someone else during that time and my ex and I decided to update this awful kitchen to something more up to date and exciting in 2002. Those painted and glazed cabinets were just coming into vogue in the showrooms and my first exposure was at the Home Depot Expo in Atlanta, a great place to get inspiration. Since I was keeping the almond appliances, I decided to paint them a close match to that and then do a glaze on top. My ex was also quite handy with the tools and built new doors from scratch, as well as added LOTS of wood moldings and extra bling to the space & this was done with his expertise. You won't recognize it now..... New beadboard doors, hardware, granite tile countertops, tumbled marble backsplash, sink & faucet and WOWIE, what a kitchen now. It was a dream kitchen to me and took a long 6 weeks of hard work to complete, working every day on it. You can see the island that was built for this space, which is now residing in my laundryroom. It was too pretty to leave behind.
Another view BEFORE
And AFTER
That 3 paned window you see was actually cut from the top of an old door and added in for a pretty new detail. Lots of molding and corbels made up this redo. That rectangular piece above the sink was a lightweight resin piece that I painted & glazed to match the cabinets and then just hung up on nails.
Same thing for those 2 pieces above the cubby, they are plaster pieces. The cubby used to have those two small doors on it and those were taken off to make this cute little display space. Those square pieces were free standing pieces mounted with liquid nails for security. You can see from the befores and afters that plywood boxes were added to take the cabinets up to the ceiling in 2 places with crown molding added. This really added some needed architectural interest in this otherwise bland kitchen. He was very handy with the tools and did an outstanding job. I have no doubt that this was one reason the house sold when it did. She fell in love with this kitchen!
Lots of beadboard and extra rope and other molding was added. Made a world of difference.
I used a Ben Moore color called Vellum as the base color, then added Ralph Lauren Teastain glaze to them, wiping most off with a wet rag. Glazing is really not hard, just takes a little time, but is a very forgiving process. Seeded (looks like old) glass was added to the doors.
I loved murals, but didn't want to pay for one, so I took a cue from Donna at The Decorated House blog (she's SO creative and gave us all many tips on faux painting over the years that I've known her online) and printed these fruits that I found online off on paper and decoupaged them directly to the tumbled stone. No one ever knew that they weren't handpainted. This is granite tiles with an edging installed. I won't even go into how hard this was to do, but I've heard there are improvements out there now on granite edgings. Using granite tiles really saves a LOT of money over slab. Of course, I'd love to have slab now, but would consider doing granite tiles again in my current house. This color was called Giallo Espirito and was a great color. Couldn't even see crumbs when it was dirty. I've just heard about a new granite tile product with built-in bullnose edging that is as easy to install as regular tile. Go here to read about Benissimo granite tile systems. One of my online friends, Kat in Washington, just did this in her kitchen if you want to take a look at her DIY project. It really is beautiful.
I loved these fleur de lis knobs that I special ordered from HD Expo, as well as the bin pulls. I added these cute little feet from a bed post project that was laying around the house...they really aren't feet, but I made them work. I might have to add some feet to my current cabinets too, since I've seen them out there lately in other kitchens and still love them.
Closeup of the glazing and knobs. Painting and glazing cabinets is really not a hard project, just takes some time and effort. I primed the base of the cabinets well for the first step, put on 2 coats of the creamy paint, then after all was dry, went back with the glaze and added that. Brush on the glaze with a paintbrush & keep a damp rag handy to wipe most of it off. The glaze helps keep it wet longer so you can work with it.
Sink was a Kohler sink and very nice in an off-white shade. I started a trend with this Price Pfister Marielle faucet at the time and lots of my decorating buddies went out and bought the same one. It now comes in oil-rubbed bronze and when I do a little redo in my current kitchen, I'll probably get the same one in bronze. I loved that faucet!
A few fleur de lis tiles were added along the black/cream border for a lot of detail.

Sigh....I did love that kitchen, but it was time to move on to Birmingham and we are very happy in our current home, me and hubby. My current kitchen is pretty with white cabinets and a tumbled tile countertop and backsplash, but I would love to do a little update in there too. I may end up adding some rope molding along the top of my crown molding & painting to match the cabinets. And, I'd love to do a dark granite countertop one day, along with a Silgranite sink (granite composite) and that beautiful oil-rubbed bronze faucet. I don't want to do a total renovation, just a couple of things.
I know many of us are looking to update kitchens, old and new, so hopefully you got some inspiration from this oldie but goodie of mine. I did love that kitchen!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

82 friends stopped by:

Darlene said...

OH MY GOSH....you have a FABULOUS kitchen...it is stunning!! I might like to cook if I had a kitchen like that!! lol

I want so badly to re-do ours and I will definitely take some inspiration from yours. LOVELY!!

Oh, I posted my daughter's room re-do today on my blog....come on over and take a peek. Tell me what you think.

Bo said...

Hi...What a transformation! I'll bet it brought you a bunch of extra dollars when you sold...in fact, it probably made your house sell... ;-) Bo

Marie said...

You did THAT kitchen for under $3000???? I'm going to need to see some reciepts because I just don't beleive it. (ha ha ha) It's a gorgeous kitchen. I love that you mentioned the feet you used on the cabinets...I am doing that in my kitchen but all the "feet" I found are too big. What you used is smaller than I was planning but I really like it! Thanks for the inspiration!

Steph said...

That is a gorgeous redo!

Kelly said...

What a stunning transformation!! I love the beadboard cabinets and hardware and the extra trim added. It really looks expensive. I would love to know what lights you used ABOVE your cabinets near the ceiling. That added alot of depth to the kitchen that would otherwise be forgotten.

Kelly

nikkicrumpet said...

The details in this kitchen make it spectacular. You both did a really amazing job. I'm sure the new home owner felt like she'd hit the Jackpot!

Deb said...

Gorgeous kitchen reno. Seeded glass is my favourite!

Free Art Printables said...

oh Rhoda! I think that transformation is fantastic! What vision you have! I am in awe! Jen R

Stephanie said...

What a transformation! I like my kitchen, but it's missing a lot of the details that you included in yours. My husband is going to be so sorry I read your blog today!

Lettered Cottage said...

Rhoda...you're SO good. I'm totally inspired to do something kitchen related now. Ooh! Wait! I've got an awesome surprise to show everyone first...and it involves my Dining Room! Gotta work on that first!
:-)

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Missy Wertz said...

I love what you did with that kitchen. I redid my kitchen a few years ago. It was done in layers over about 3 years. I did granite tile as well. The color you have is what I wanted and could not find it anywhere. DH said 'do it' and I wanted to get it done before he changed his mind. LOL! So I did. And withing budget. What I chose has not been forgiving to stains and keep it sealed, polished etc. But I do have extra tiles in the basement. ;-) And the grout.

I could never mention this on my blog b/c DH reads it daily, but my kitchen was designed in 1985 by a 30 yo bachelor who was still living at home with his mom and dad. Refused to let his mom help him. All he knew how to cook was popcorn in a microwave. And he redrew the plans of the kitchen and most of the house.... I one day, plan to totally redesign this kitchen.

What you did is stunning!

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Always loved this kitchen transformation! It must have been hard to leave it, but I know you have such a great home in AL! Thanks for posting these pics - it was fun to see them.

Kristi said...

sigh, I would love to update our kitchen but we are working on other things first and it will probably be years before we can afford to do the kitchen. Right now our wood floor project seems to be taking forever. We have a big decision to make on our stairs. Somethings the flooring company didn't tell us upfront until they got our deposit. Turns out the wood under the carpet on the stairs is pine and they say it will look awful stained. So we have to consider our options... We are not so handy to do the kitchen ourselves. Plus I want to rearrange some of the appliances.

paintergal said...

That room has inspired so many kitchen updates. Mine included! It had to be so hard to leave it behind.

Twice as Nice said...

What a wonderful kitchen redo. You paid so much attention to detail and it shows. Love it all and I would have taken the island to my new home too. It looks like it was made for your laundry room. Beautiful!

Doris said...

I cant believe those are the same cabinets! So inspiring, it definetely looks like you spend a lot of money. Im coming back to this post if I ever need a kitchen redo.

sandra/tx said...

The kitchen redo was spectacular, Rhoda. Certainly wonderful inspiration for so many on GI and beyond.

dec0r8or said...

Oh, Rho, I remember when you guys were working on that kitchen way back when. It came out SO great. I think the think that really impressed me the most were those granite tile countertops. (I chickened out and went with IKEA countertops, but I'm happy.) Thanks for posting those pictures...it was fun to see it again.

Wendy said...

That is a stunning redo. I'm so impressed. Thank you for sharing it! (I might have to steal the idea of adding feet under the cabinets...gives it such a custom look)

Sue said...

Rhoda,
That is a seriously gorgeous kitchen makeover. I loved Donna's kitchen too. You gals are really amazing.
Hugs,
Sue

Angie said...

Great post!!! I so enjoyed seeing your gorgeous kitchen. I have been wanting to reface my cabinets for a while and also do a glaze on them. After seeing your cabinets, I may go ahead with the project. I would love to have the beadboard fronts like yours. What kind of beadboard did you use? It looks like the grooves are pretty deep which makes me think it was the tongue and groove kind and not the sheets. I have the sheet beadboard as my backsplash and it looks different. I also love the tile backsplash. I just LOVE it all. I will be showing it to my husband when he gets home from work!

Julie said...

You did an amazing job! I think that you can do a lot if you have even the most simple skills! I really enjoy the before and after posts that people do. Thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

You did a fabulous job, Rhoda! Kitchens have been on our mind around here. We are part finished, but will soon tackle the counters and cabinets. You have shown us some fabulous ideas!
Don't you just love to look back at old photos and see how your style has changed (and grown) over the years? You have such a gift for putting a room together. I always enjoy and look forward to your projects.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Oh. My. Goodness!!! What a transformation. Amazing ~ absolutely amazing. What a wonderful job you did on your last kitchen. I tell ya, as Mary Carol would say, "it's all in the "details" isn't it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH TOO FOR TELLING US ABOUT BLOGLINES!! It sure makes it easier to keep up with my blogging buddies.

Blessings,

Sher

Mim said...

WONDERFUL redo on your kitchen. Must have been hard to leave it behind.
Girl do I need your help on redoing my kitchen here in Virginia.
We bought a 1960's split level which has it's original cherry stained cupboards. Can you imagine?!!
I am thinking of doing beadboard backsplash's, granite countertops, and painting the cabinets a nice pearly white, as they are solid and good.
Thanks for your inspiration today.
Mim

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous darling!!! Wow! I'd love to make my kitchen look like that. I guess that will have to wait till our little water issue is fixed. After all that is about the only place that is functional right now! Loving catching up on what you've posted while I've been away!

Blessings to you and yours,

LivingTheLife said...

What an incredible transformation...I love it when you can do something so awesome and with such impact for very little money. Not that $3,000.00 isn't a lot of money...but considering the fact that would have cost you OH! so much more if you hadn't done all the work yourself! Hear that...It's a round of applause for a job...'well done'...Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go out and buy some of that paint and stain and give my tired ole kitchen an update...before I sell it...in a few months...but then again...I DO hate to spend too much money and time...when somebody may come in and NOT like what I've done!

Blessings...
Teresa

Justabeachkat said...

Just gorgeous! I know you enjoyed it and it probably helped you sell it when the time came.

Hugs!
Kat

Kristi said...

You did a fantastic job! We have done something similar in our current home. We did upgrade the original 1984 appliances, but we painted/glazed the cabinets, replaced hardware, replaced the floor, added solid granite countertops... I could go on... but we only spent around $6,000.00 but also alot of elbow grease! I love the accents - I got some great ideas, thanks!

Sugarplum Cottage said...

Looks like a profession renovated it. I simply love beadboard, everything is amazing. Hugs, RoseMarie

Lamp Tramp said...

What a Fabulous kitchen redo...you inspire me! I seem to be constantly thinking of my next project...thanks to you and other creative home divas!

Ally's Corner said...

Love this kitchen would love my kitchen to look like this.
I posted pictures of my laundry room on my blog. The walls are sage green but it doesn't look like it in the pictures.
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.

ocean mommy said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Fleur de lis hardward! Just beautiful!

This makeover was absolutely stunning! Good job. :)

stephanie

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL for the great comments on this post. This really was a fun redo (after it was over, of course) & I was very proud of that kitchen. If you (or your hubby) are handy in the least, you can take these ideas & run with them.

Kelly asked about the lights on top of the cabinets & Kelly, I don't see anyway to contact you, so here you go. Those lights were simply 2' fluorescent lights that were plugged in end-to-end and then hardwire on a lightswitch under the counter. My ex was a master electrician, as well as carpenter, so that came in handy too.

Angie asked about the beadboard & I posted back to her, but will include it here too. That beadboard is the regular sheet beadboard that is sold at HD or Lowes & was cut to fit the doors. We also added it to the walls in there too. There is slick beadboard out there that is white & doesn't look as good to me, so look for the rougher version that has to be primed & painted.

I'd love to add some beadboard around this house too. I think I need me a table saw & a mitre saw!

Rhoda

Nancy Rosalina said...

You are one hard working gal, Rhoda! That kitchen turned out beautiful. And for under 3,000, your a good shopper! Now, I spotted a cherry creamer and sugar bowl, I think....Please put My name on those...If you ever sell them I will buy them...they are beautiful! Blessings, Nancy

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Amazing renovation! Way to go! I love the idea of just changing out the cabinet doors instead of the whole thing. So inspiring!
-Carrie

Ms. Tee said...

This is just beautiful. You did a great job! :)

The Berry's Patch said...

Wow Rhoda, its' absolutely beautiful! All your hard work payed off. Can't wait to see what you do with your current kitchen. :-)

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Aaah...brings back memories!
You did a fantastic job with that one. It reminds me of a lot of good times we had with so many projects, helping and waiting impatiently for big reveals! :)
Donna

ohiofarmgirl said...

I am in love with beadboard....I adore those cabinets. So glad you took pics before you left them behind.Dianntha

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Well, this is just stunning! When are you going to write a book? I need step-by-step info. ;-)

Sandy McTier Designs said...

What a fabulous kitchen make-over!
Love all the little touches like the three panel windows from the old door and the resin pieces.
Have a great day!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

oh Rhoda, the kitchen is so nice, I know you hated to leave it, but oh well - now you're on your next chapter! Thanks for sharing, I do so enjoy your blog! Annie100

Screaming Meme said...

I love that kitchen too! Nice work!!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
You did a great job on that kitchen! The cabinets look totally different!

Thanks for all the tips on granite tile. I may go with that when we finally replace our counter tops.

I love all you touches and extra little details you added. All of it together really makes it all come together!
diane

Glenda said...

OH MY, how I remember those cabinets. I had those in my first home in the late 80's. It was the thing to have. I also did wallpaper, with ducks on it. I truly don't miss that style.

But I have to say, you did a wonderful job at the remodel. I wouldn't have wanted to leave that behind.

CIao

Sue said...

Rhoda....BEAUTIFUL transformation! I love the beadboard in the cabinets. The island fits perfectly in your laundry room now...I don't blame you for bringing it.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda! I love your kitchen. I wish I had one just like it! You created a huge difference from your older one to this one. Love all the beadboard! Just love it all!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia:)

Rattlebridge Farm said...

This was just beautiful! I loved looking at the before/after pictures. Your Majolica and the bunnies stole my heart.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I loved this of course, but was blessed by your the legacy that your parents have passed down even more. Living in NC, I am still in awe of the beauty...

Justabeachkat said...

Stop by when you get a chance. I have an award for you.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

This is just amazing! Love your kitchen and all the details. I know you must have been so proud of that job. Beautiful kitchen for a beautiful lady!

Enjoyed seeing your parents' home and garden tour, too, and am so glad your family got to spend time together. Those veggies looked scrumptious, and I wanted to take a nap on your daddy's swing, too! What fun to have a mountain retreat!

I'm on a borrowed computer that has "issues" so I'm signing in this way instead of by my handle.

Love to you, sweet lady!

Sheila (The Quintessential Magpie)

Anonymous said...

oh wow, you know pics like that simply amaze me, a real transformation...I bet it took a lot of hard work though but as you say truly worth it, particularly in the saving in dollars

great post, really inspired me, which is good as we are about to embark on a family bathroom makeover, we were quoted $20,000+ for a new fit for a basic suite and basic tiles and we so don't want to invest that as we will probably move on from the cottage in a few years to something a bit bigger and with an ocean view

I've been mulling it over for weeks, deciding what to do and what colours to go with, today I bought the accessories, tomorrow I buy the paint, Sat and Sun we get to work, although I'm hoping it won't be too long a job, I always say that!

anyway your post today came at just the right time to make me think, yeah, I can makeover this place for like a pinch of the price of a new one, and a lot less hassle

cheers

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Nice kitchen Rhoda, I had that same sink in my old kitchen. I love what you did with the mural, it looks like the real thing, I may borrow that idea :)

I have the bun feet on my cabinets and love the look.

Nice post,
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

ps love your new banner !!!

Kathy :)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Rhoda, what a fabulous job!!!

We're flipping a house right now so I know the amount of work remodeling can take. And the time!! Every little detail just seems to take forever.

Blogger said...

That's just beautiful, Rhoda! And really, still in style, too...timeless :)

Bella

Pennies In My Pocket said...

HOLY COW! It's GORGEOUS!! I am about to totally remodel my kitchen....I want yours! Completely stunning!

~melody~

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

WOW, Rhoda, that is an amazing transformation, especially considering how little money you spent. I love it.

I have to say I had those same "before" cabinets in one of the places we lived in the '90s, too. They were really popular for awhile, and now I can't remember why? Ha.

The details in your kitchen really made everything look custom and fabulous. You are so talented! -Julia

Twice as Nice said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!! It doesn't even look like the same kitchen. You did a FANTASTIC job as well as the ex. Love all the detailing.

Unknown said...

An AMAZING redo!!!! Kitchen and banner! : )

~~Liz~~

cherry said...

I remember that kitchen...it was an inspiration for mine. cherry

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

Gorgeous transformation! For under $3000 too?! Amazing! I loved the little feet you added to the cabinets :)

So when do we get to see your kitchen now?? ;)

hugs,
rue

Anonymous said...

Wow, I would miss that kitchen. Did you get visitation rights after the move?! Gorgeous!

Elle Jay Bee said...

WOW!! What can I say that hasn't already been said?? This looks like the most fantastic, custom-built kitchen out there!!

You are a decorating goddess, Rhoda!!

Linda

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda
That is an amazing kitchen transformation. Sure wish ny husband was handy.
Hugs, Rhondi

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Great job Rhoda! Amazing what you can do when you are a little bit handy! It turned out great, big transformation!

:-)

Happy decorating,
Melissa

Mary said...

Rhoda, that is BEAUTIFUL! We are planning a new laundry room, and have some old cabinets from another project that we could use. Having seen your cabinet redo, I am encouraged to think that I might be able to paint them and save a lot of money. Thanks for the inspiration!
xoxo,
Mary

Unknown said...

I love the old kitchen the colors , the tile the moldings, would love it now. mishelle

Heather said...

This is absolutely incredible! The kitchen is show-stopping and it is hard to believe how little money was spent! It looks like you spent a fortune!!
My husband and I are house hunting currently and this will inspire me to look at ugly, outdated kitchens with a much better (more positive) perspective.
Thank you so much for sharing these photos and detailing the steps!
Heather :)

Beth at Aunties said...

Rhoda,
I would have been sad to leave your home which had so many memories also. The kitchen make over was simply lovely. I loved how you did the mural... and how good it turned out. The area above the window looked so nice and loved the bunny touches. It looked like a different kitchen for not very much money! It was a great post. Yours always are!
Beth

Anonymous said...

Well, Rhoda, that was truly a beautiful redo! You and your ex did a wonderful job. I am so impressed you guys did all of that work yourselves. I can't imagine the mess my husband and I would make of such a projec!! Thank you for sharing. Dana

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I thought this kitchen looked familiar. Did you post on BHG years ago? Around 1999 or so? I think I definitely remember this kitchen - I bookmarked quite a few pictures for inspiration ideas and I believe this was one of the kitchens, and I think you may have had some bedroom ideas I saved as well.

I'm sure your new kitchen is jsut as lovely, or you will make it that way!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Anon, yes, I was a regular participant on BHG decorating board back during that time, late 90's. This kitchen wasn't done until 2002, so you may not have seen it on BHG, since that board really went downhill fast. I've been on other boards too, so that may have been where you saw it back then.

Thanks for the compliments!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, it is absolutely beautiful! We did our kitchen for $3000 also but it's not nearly as pretty :) Our $3000 included tearing the old kitchen down to the slab floor and rebuilding walls and ceilings and such though, or maybe mine would be a bit shinier. I love love love this and your cabinets are the best part. We did beaded board cabinets and it's the best decision ever for a kitchen. Instant charm and classic, I think. You did so great and I had so much fun seeing the transformation.

Jill said...

My favorite re-do projects to see are kitchens. You may remember we re-did ours last summer, and added a keeping room and I am still decorating. Just ordered window treatments last week. It takes awhile for it to all come together but well worth it. After all, the kitchen is the heart of the home.

cotedetexas said...

omg - fabulous! I always hate those euro cabinets - hahah - I can't believe what you did to this kitchen! it is gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Janet said...

OMG that kitchen is/was beautiful. What a fantastic job and I think I have the same faucet. That is where the similarity ends though, lol.

Janet

Catherine said...

Thank you for sharing this. I'm in the middle of a kitchen re-do and have ugly, plain cabinets. I'm adding moulding to the cabinet fronts. I'm also building a kitchen island with a rough hewn oak countertop. Boards are coming from an old fashioned sawmill nearby. I'm doing the entire kitchen, top to bottom and right now, I'm scheduled to come in around $1000-$1500, including laminate hardwood flooring. It's amazing what moulding and some paint can do. Thanks again for posting. I'm so visual and your pics are helping me to see that all this work will be worth it!

Kat said...

Rhoda I remember that kitchen well. It sat in my inspiration file for years. I had to gain some confidence before attempting a kitchen remodel. Many years later Im finally doing it. I love a thrifty remodel.

Perfectionist said...

Loved your kitchen redo...you have given me some great ideas...I have a question regarding the cabinets. You said you used Ralph Lauren TeaStain glaze, where did you purchase this? I thought you said Homedepot but I cannot seem to find this color glaze. Did you mix Teastain color with regular glaze? What color did the Teastain come out because online it looks a shade of green. And also the Ben Moore Vellum is this a creme color? My cabinets are white right now and I was going to try your Teastain over my white if I can find it, what do you think??? I really appreciate the info and for you indepth information inregards to your beautiful makeover. Look forward to seeing more.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Perfectionist, I hope you come back to see this, since I have no way to get in touch with you. Ralph Lauren paint is sold at Home Depot & they also have glaze. You can ask them to mix the Teastain glaze for you at HD & they should still be able to do this. If you can't find the RL glaze, then I would buy a quart of glaze at the home center & mix your own. You can use Raw Umber craft paint from any of the craft stores. Raw Umber is very similar to what they use in the Ralph Lauren colors. It's a brown/mushroom color after it is mixed. You can mix it as dark or light as you want. The Teastain was rather light/medium, not really dark.

Ben Moore Vellum is a dark cream, not real light, but a little darker than most creams are. You can definitely go over white cabinets with the teastain glaze too, just use it sparingly as a little goes a long way. I brushed on the glaze where I wanted it and then went back with a damp rag to wipe it off, not letting too much settle in the crevices. If your cabinets are laminate, you probably will not be very successful using the glaze, since that surface is rather slick. It works best on real wood.