Tuesday, September 16, 2008

White Pumpkins

Remember this from BHG?
Here's My version.....
With all the Fall talk in blogland....well, I inspired myself with my recent white pumpkin post, so decided to get a fake pumpkin (from Hobby Lobby), paint it white (with white spray paint primer I had on hand) and do a stencil. And it turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself!
Had all of these things lying around the house, so it was out with the shells (well, most of them anyway) and in with the pinecones and acorns. I love using natural materials so much these days and that really got started with me last year at Christmas. All the pinecones and acorns from the yard and neighborhood really come in handy for decorating naturally.
Those are the 2 candlesticks I found at the yardsale last week. That urn that the big pumpkin is sitting in was actually a brass thing that I've had for years and bronzed a long time ago. It gets recycled and used from time to time. Baby pumpkins are also fake (from Hobby Lobby) and they got the white treatment too.
My iron birds are just perpetual welcomers in the front door, all 4 seasons. This heavy iron urn is a yardsale fave from many years ago (for $5) and it has been outside and now inside. Filled with pinecones, acorns and a touch of white starfish, I love it's ruffly edge.
It all says Welcome to our house for Fall!
That really TALL candlestick, I snagged at Tuesday AM one time on clearance for $5. The top was broken, but I glued it back. It's made out of wood too.
Come on in....
Another yardsale find from last year, this metal leaf and acorn plate is really fun to work with and fits perfectly in the bamboo easel. In fact, almost everything on this table came from yardsales. I have a lot of fun changing out my foyer table with the seasons. I've done a little something Fallish for the frontdoor too that I'll share with you later!


Happy Fall to y'all!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

96 friends stopped by:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Happy Fall to you, too, Rhoda! I'm up with the brids this a.m.

Looks like you've been a busy girl. I like your natural look combined with the iron work. Always amazed at the treasures you find our thrifting. Your post has inspired me to get busy and do some fall decorating of my own, though it still feels like summer here. Brutal heat on Sunday, but hopefully we will feel fall soon.

Maybe if we put our pumpkins out, fall will come. You think? ;-)

XO,

Sheila

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oops... make that "out" thrifting. My eyes aren't awake yet. :-)

Sheila

Marie said...

I DO remember that white stenciled pumpkin from BHG... I have the magazine. :o) Yours looks every bit as good. I love the look of those white pumpkins. I'm a big pinecone, acorn decorator too. It's pretty and FREE! :o)

sheila from life @ #17 said...

you know, I have to say, and I'm not tryin' to be Ugly...you live around some Crazy People!!!! :)

the things your neighbors get rid of just amaze me...

I wish I had Crazy Neighbors like yours, LOL :)

well, a girl can dream :)

Anonymous said...

White pumpkins are the way to go if orange doesn't work. That turned out great! Looks like we both were crafting with white pumpkins - I did a post yesterday :-)

Manuela

Trixi said...

Rhoda,
I think it looks great!!! How simple.

Anonymous said...

Seeing your fall decorating really inspires me to do something different this year. You have wonderful creative ideas- Your white pumpkins are cute! Using what you have on hand and thinking outside the box- using colors like black and white and natural items turned out so nice.

Appreciate you sharing, Karen

Anonymous said...

Happy fall Rhoda. You have some beautiful fall decorations. I never thought about white pumpkins. What great ideas you have.

Free Art Printables said...

I love the white pumpkins! Are you going to join my pumpkin party?

Twice as Nice said...

I love how you added the star fish for color. Also how you said you bought the urn years ago at a yard sale for $5~~funny how you haven't forgotten the price of any of your treasures!!

Lettered Cottage said...

Rhoda,
I am in LOVE with that Urn! The edge is AMAZING! Never seen one like that. And I can't believe you got it for $5.00!
The crisp, white starfish on top of all those rough, dark pinecones creates quite a lovely mixture of texture and contrast. Love it!

Can't wait to "hang out" in October!

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Love it, Love it!
You've got the touch.

sandra/tx said...

I am all about white pumpkins this year. Love those!

Tracy said...

Hi Rhoda, love the display!
I just wanted to comment on the metal or cast iron leaf you have on the easel, I have that same leaf! My husband lucked up on our's at a yard sale last year for 50 cents! Mine had been painted red though many years before, great old paint on it. He bought it to sell in one of our booths but that was one thing I just had to keep for myself, never seen another one until seeing yours just now.
Tracy

Caren said...

It looks beautiful! The Son and I are going to be working on some Halloween decorations today. I'm getting so excited!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Rhoda,

Looks like Fall has arrived at your house.

Nice post,
Kathy :)

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda
I love your fall decor. I'm going to copy your idea(hope you don't mind) and paint some pumpkins white. I don't really like fall colors so I never do much except buy a pumpkin, but now you've inspired me!
I like the way you are always changing the photos in your header too
Hugs, Rhondi

Inspired Kara said...

Oh Rhoda. I just can't help but smile every single time I look at your blog :)

White pumpkins and b&w damask, such a beautiful combination!

Blogger said...

I wish I could say Happy Fall, Y'All and be taken seriously saying it, lol. Being from Michigan, I just don't think my nasal twang would have the same effect as you or Paula Deen :)

I love the whole display, Rhoda,it's just gorgeous :) I saw a black candlestick like the ones you have there, yesterday at HomeGoods. I did not buy it because I wanted 3 or 4 of them, lol, not one....but I guess I should have bought it in hopes of finding siblings for it another time, in another place. When I go back, it will be gone, lol.

Bella :)
PS: I made a charging table for today's blog, come by and see it if you have the chance :)

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

What a great job you did on the stencilled pumpkin and the whole display. But then what else would one expect from 'Southern Hospitality'? : ) Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.
M.L.

nikkicrumpet said...

So BEAUTIFUL...it's gonna be a shame to dismantle that wonderful vignette when the fall season is over. I love how it's not the traditional fall colors...but still looks very fallish! You're and inspiration as usual!

Joanna said...

Looks great! I love the white pumpkins and you did a fab job on that stencil! You have inspired me to decorate with the pinecones and acorns this year instead of grumble about them falling into our yard from our neighbors trees! *smiles*

Sue said...

Hi Rhoda,
Haven't been around look enough to comment lately. Your fall welcome looks lovely. I love the way your white pumpkins turned out, great job you crafty gal. Wish I was more patient and craft oriented but I can easily get carried away so I don't even go there.

Love everything you have been doing lately!

Hugs,
Sue

windycorner said...

Looks like you're ready for fall. I love the urn with the ruffled edge. Last year on our Georgia visit I picked up sweet gum balls, acorns, and hickory nuts to decorate with. There is something special about using the real thing. Love the pumkin treatment, too.
Holley

Elise said...

Oh, my, I love your acorns-I don't think I have ever seen them like that before. I, too, love using nature's findings in my decor. And that lampshade is fabulous!!
Elise

aimee said...

Gorgeous!!! I like your stenciled version way better. Your entry table looks divine!

paintergal said...

So pretty, Rhoda!
Where is this table in relation to your rooms? Is this a foyer?

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

The white pumpkins are so cute! I have admired those little stenciled guys on a few different blogs...was it hard to stencil since the pumpkin was an uneven surface? I'd like to try but didn't want to mess it up!
Carrie

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

SO gorgeous and incredibly inspiring!! I love this display :) The natural elements mixed with the birds and metal make for great texture, and all the neutrals of varying shades are perfect! LOVE this

Blessings,
Stacey

Melissa said...

Rhoda,
I love the whole ensemble, and the white pumpkins turned out beautifully! That urn is fab~what a great find. Happy fall~

Georgia Girl said...

Love your decorations and the pumpkin is so cute. I really love the white ones that are showing up everywhere. I love the urn and leaf also.

Kathysue said...

Rhoda, Love the black and white idea. Your pumpkin turned out great. I am not an orange girl so fall is hard for me except I love the crisp air. I also use the white pumpkins and blk and white is my favorite combination. You have me thinking now. Thankyou for the inspiration. You are now on my favs list. I will visit often. Thanks Kathysue[RMS girl]

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh, Ms. Rhoda!! One word: FABULOUS.

KarenB said...

It's for sure, Rhoda. You do a fabulous job! I'm in agreement with the use of natural items in decorating and also really like your faux-white-pumpkin-stencil-job. Nice work!

Becky K. said...

That is a very fun fall display. I love the pumpkin and the four season birds...

Becky K.

Anonymous said...

Just love those stenciled pumpkins! They work great w/ your decor. And I never would have thought to put a seastar with fall things!

Blessings to you and yours,

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, May I ask you a question I asked readers of my blog? You're the one that started me thinking about it so you just gotta share with me. :) First I want to say I LOVE your decorating style and your things are SO PRETTY! I just wish I had HALF your talent to decorate my own house! Anyway my question is, where do you store all your decorating items that aren't in use right now? I really need some ideas because my house is VERY small and I'd like to keep things to decorate with but just don't have an extra room to store it in.

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Just fabulous, Miss Rho! I really love the stenciling on the pumpkin - looks great! Such a pretty display to welcome your visitors!

Bo said...

Whoa...what BIG acorns you have, my dear! No kidding, I've had lots of acorns but none that glorious. As usual, you have made everything look so classy...love it!
;-) Bo

The Berry's Patch said...

I knew the Fall decorating bug would get ya. The white pumpkins look great! I just love how you have displayed them. :-)

Carol said...

Rhoda,
You have inspired me to go searching & shopping at Goodwill. Today I found several items that I'm going to repurpose for fall decorating. The coolest part of the purchase was today was "senior citizen day" (I'll turn 56 next month),my 6 items cost less then $5.00! What a hoot!
Carol, in Oklahoma

Ms. Tee said...

Your pumpkin turned out perfect.
And I love using acorns, pinecones, and leaves, too. Everything's so pretty. :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful, original vignette! All of your items are gorgeous, my favorite is the iron urn! very welcoming; thanks for sharing your ideas with us!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Aren't you clever painting and stenciling pumpkins! Love the yard sale finds, too!
Thanks for sharing,
Karla & Karrie

Unknown said...

I just adore white pumpkins! I would love to get a few more. I really like how you dressed yours up.. Very pretty Miss Rhoda! Im still dreaming about the day you and I can go yardselling.... one day Ahhhh!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Looks awesome Rhoda! Love that white starfish on the acorns too! Great contrast!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Thanks Rhoda for the advice!! I will be trying the rub-ons, they seem a little less accident-prone than stenciling, especially with a two year old pulling on my while I try to do it. :) I appreciate you directing me to Manuela!
Carrie

Tara said...

Rhoda

What a great idea--white pumpkins!

Robyn @ ItsRobyn.com said...

I love your little fall vignette. I need to get out to the yard sales again. You've got some wonderful finds there.

Take care,

Robyn

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This looks great! You did a fine job with the pumpkins and stenciling, and the layout is dazzling. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration!

Mrs. B said...

Yours is even better than BHG's! I love the whole display. You always have wonderful displays in your entry. That ruffly urn is gorgeous! Now I'm inspired to paint some pumpkins!

Anonymous said...

G'day Rhoda

love what you've done, you have some lovely chunky candlesticks there and what a find with the urn for that price! i would like to find one of those, I guess I will one day, love the starfish with all the rustic natural bits, you've given me some inspiration...

good work on the white pumpkin, I wouldn't of thought of doing that, funny how I paint so much stuff but some things it never crosses my mind to paint

Sarah

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

This is a GORGEOUS vignette! The pumpkin turned out fantastic and I love the metal leaf! :) ~Rhonda

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous!

Meghan said...

Stunning!

"Maggie & Kevin" said...

What fun pumpkins, it never occured to me to paint them white, clever!

Chris said...

Wonderful, Rhoda! I love every little detail--right down the little "welcome" stone. I love that! Your stenciled pumpking turned out wonderfully. I, too, have been painting a lot of pumpkins lately (7 to be exact)! I guess it's that time of year, isn't it?

Picket said...

Hey girl..this turned out great and I love the acorns & pinecones! I am still loving my black mantel and the family is amazed at how beautiful it turned out and the difference it has made in the feel of the room...it just accents my stuff and the way I decorate so much more than the white ever did...thanks again for the inspiration girl! have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Goodness! I cannot wait to go spray paint and stencil some of my pumpkins. You did a great job with yours and have inspired me to do some. Thanks. Laurie (bargainhunr)

Suzann said...

I'm lovin' your fall decor. White pumpkins are quickly becoming my favorite and I just adore black accents too. I have been drawn to decorating with nature lately as well. Everything looks fabulous!

Julie said...

Oh, Rhoda!
Everything is just beautiful!!!
I love how you just made fall your own. Even though, I love those traditional oranges, golds, olives, browns, etc (I know, really original, huh?!?!) I just love how you broke away from the mold and made it fit you and your decor!
Can't wait to see what you do with your Christmas decor!!!!
Blessings,
Julie

P.S. Love all that ironwork -- I'll bet you can use that year 'round!

Lisa (aka) French said...

These are just precious! What a great idea! Who knew people decorated for fall??? French;)

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I just love your white pumpkins and all your decorating ideas. It's alway fun to read your blog and gather new ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Warmly, Deb

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

It looks fabulous, Rhoda! Love it all!

Happy Fall!

Did you link this to Fall Nesting? If not, you should, it is wonderful inspiration and everyone would love it (everyone that hasn't already been here, that is, which might be NO ONE!)

xoxo

Michelle said...

Love it, Rhoda! You always do such a nice job :)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Rhoda, that looks so beautiful!! I have a thing for white pumpkins too. I posted some on my blog the other day.

Kimba said...

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!! I love it!!!! That's it! I'm going to the farm market today for some real pumpkins. And they'll be getting the spray treatment before sundown.

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

WOW! I have always loved white Lumina pumpkins! I have a big fake one too that I put out every year.
Your decor looks just wonderful, as always.
Happy Fall to you!

Ramona said...

Your displays are lovely! I really love the starfish with the pine cones...harvest delight!

Happy Autumn!

Smiles ~ Ramona

Elle Jay Bee said...

You're right! I do love all of the white pumpkin goodness! I have a few ideas of my own for my white pumpkins, and you now have me inspired to do actually go do them! Thanks Rhoda!!

Linda

Anonymous said...

What a nice display! You did a great job, it looks beautiful!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, wow, what a lovely tablescape for fall, Rhoda! I love everything about it. I think that was a good idea to paint a fake pumpkin so you don't have to do it all over again next year.

You've inspired me!! -Julia :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Your fall decor looks very elegant and is perfect for your style and your home.

I really haven't considered using white pumpkins til this year...they are very classy in your photos.
Diane

J'Ollie Primitives said...

love the colors and textures. The urn is fab-u-lous.

Pretty and welcoming!

Tami said...

Love, love, your fall table with all it's earthy colors and items. So very cute!

j said...

I promise you, THAT is the most gorgeous fall display that I have seen yet. I have never done much decorating for fall because I don't feel like I can compete with the beauty outside. Not a thing that I can bring to it that I can't find right outside my door. So I wait and put ALL of my holiday decorating energy into Christmas!

I may actually try this. I love the natural elements (I found a GORGEOUS piece of driftwood the other day at the beach) and the stenciled white pumpkin is charming.

Love this post Rhoda!

And I haven't forgotten you by the way. I have had a sick husband and child at home this week.

Be blessed.

Jennifer

KM Studios said...

Hi Rhoda,
Loving the white pumpkins..so far we have had some other things at my house for some pre Halloween spookyness.
If you get a chance check us out.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I see you all over and finally decided to drop by. I'm so glad I did - everything is lovely.

cherry said...

Cute! Very classic and pretty. cherry

Unknown said...

Oh Rhoda, what a gorgeous autumn vignette! I love how you painted white pumpkins and that stencil made that big guy pop! Nicely Done!

Blessings - Debbie

Natalia said...

Oh, wow. I love the look of this. I am inspired. Just found your blog...I think from Making your House a Home...and I'm really enjoying it.

Cathy said...

Love all the fall decs. The white pumpkins turned out great. Love the acorns and pinecones.

Bonita said...

Love those white pumpkins!

dewy23 said...

I love the pumpkins and will be doing them for our house!

Blogger said...

I saw these the first time, but they are so gorgeous, I am glad to see them again:) I need to get a little creative with my pumpkins, lol :) Love those candle sticks, too, I keep looking for some nice chunky ones like that, but no luck yet.

Have a great week, Rhoda!!!

Bella

One Shabby Old House said...

Rhoda you did a wonderful job on your pumpkins. I just may have to try my hand at some. Thanks for the inspiration
Becky

Free Art Printables said...

Rhoda, that looks great! I love the natural look of the acorns and pine cones!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Lovely fall tablescape!

Jenny said...

The black and white is so striking!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Oh MY! I love those white pumpkins! Very pretty vignette! :)

Anonymous said...

Looking gorgeous..! I especially love vintage-type Halloween decorations.

The Style Sisters said...

I love the white pumpkins and all the beautiful decor with it. The textures, colors and feel of the display is just perfect.

Free Art Printables said...

Rhoda, thanks for joining in on my party! :)

Ms. Tee said...

I love all of your decorations - I really love the white starfish on top - it's so elegant! :)

The Texas Woman said...

Wonderful site with great photography. I'll be back. Right now I'm going to look at more of your other posts!

The Texas Woman

Decor To Adore said...

Your displays are spooktacular.

Please visit my blog. I am on post #98 so you know what that means!