Friday, November 7, 2008

The Allure of Chocolate

I have to admit, I was glad to see Halloween come and go. It's not my favorite holiday, although we do buy candy and hand it out to the neighborhood kids...of which there were quite a few this year, by the way. They came, they got candy, and we had just a little of the good stuff left. I made sure that I gave out the boxes of Dots and the Tootsie rolls to the little goblins and saved a few of the good ones for us. And by good ones, I mean chocolate of course!

And then it happened. I was in Walgreens buying my weekly ad specials when I spied the sign. 75% off Halloween candy. And I fell for it. Totally. Come on home with me Snickers, little Baby Ruth, and you cute little Crunchs (dark, even which my hubby will love me for!).

I was just telling my hubby that my thighs are getting fat and look at what I do to make that situation worse! Oh well, what's a few little bite sized morsels of chocolatey goodness here and there, right? Tis the season...and it's only going to get worse.

Did you fall for it too?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

48 friends stopped by:

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I too have a weakness for chocolate! But you can tell by looking at me-I would have never guessed that you did!

Dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you!


We had more trick or treaters than usual this year too...maybe cause it was on Friday?

Have a great day!

Bonita said...

Believe it or not, I'm not a big candy fan. Even as a kid I'd take a Krispy Kreme doughnut any day over a candy bar. That and the fact that I've gained weight and I have to be careful not to overload on sweets because it affects my blood sugar dramatically, kept me from indulging. But you go right ahead and enjoy your treats!

Kay said...

Believe it or not I resisted! And I did it by not looking into the three Publix shopping carts piled over the top and by telling myself it was all non-chocolate candy and therefore not worth the calories! Be sure to walk around as you eat your morsels and it will totally negate any calories.

Stacey said...

Yes I fell for it. 75% off at Target. I did put it away though to put in stockings at Christmas. :)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, yeah... only I buy lots and lots BEFORE the trick or treaters come. Then I'm "forced" to eat it. This year, I bought a separate bag for me (Hershey's Kisses with almonds) because I was having a bad hair day. ;-)

Sheila

Cheri said...

Oh Rhoda, you are so right when it comes to chocolate and thighs, right there with ya. The sale makes it impossible to resist, my will power isn't that great.

Have a great weekend and enjoy those morsels!

Cheri

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too bought lots of clearance candy. My daughter is in our local Christmas parade next month and she will throw out candy. I figured that it is better to buy in bulk after Halloween so then I have not spent a ton, the kids are happy, and I get to pick out the best pieces just for me. -- Brandi

Anonymous said...

Luckily I don't care for candies much. I don't like that they get stuck in between my teeth. I prefer ice creme. And during holidays I kind of carry on as usual with 2 pints of ice creme a week! We all have our little weaknesses, right. If you can even call it that.

Screaming Meme said...

I know! I hate when there is left over candy! I fall for it everytime! You don't like Halloween? I love seeing all the sweet ghosts and goblins being silly and having fun.... That is my favorite part of Halloween....It's a time to be a kid again! :)

paintergal said...

We bought lots beforehand since we didn't know how many spooks to expect. We had 90! (And ahem, we still had candy left over!)

Lady Katherine said...

Are you kidding? Who doesn't love chocolate, I have been going through my grandkids bags!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Oh yeah!! I awake each and every morning and the Halloween candy "leftovers" scream my name until I answer!!

Each year I over buy because I'm so afraid of running out of candy for these little goblins ~ too many leftovers for my satisfaction. I'm taking them in to our Youth Director at church for use in the program. Or, he can pass them on to our Children's Director ~ anywhere but HERE - calling my name!!

Blessings,

Sher

Chris said...

Well, I didn't fall for it, but if Krispy Kreme ever has a sale, I'm done for. Plus, I've got little ones at home. I can eat their candy! :)

windycorner said...

You're just thinking ahead toward Christmas and stocking stuffers, right Rhoda? (wink wink)
Love your new background, by the way. It's gorgeous!
Holley

Unknown said...

Chocolate is right up there with Krispy Kreme in addictive qualities.

And at 75% off??? OH MY!

ROXY said...

arrghhh!! Yes, we too have soooo much candy left! We bought five bags of sale candy at target and then didn't get a single trick or treater!! So in the pantry it sits, better their than on my thighs!!

Anonymous said...

Nope I didn't...and I always buy candy that appeals to the kiddies and not me. Oh I love me some Snickers, Nestle's Crunch I could go on and on lol but just two of those and I get a big old pimple, chocolate and me do not get along, but oh do I love it.

Thighs...the bane of getting older I guess :(

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

Wendy said...

Chocolate should never be counted in your daily calorie intake ;-)

Fran said...

I can "fall" for it even in the "spring". My name is Frannycakes and I am a chocoholic..........And the people said....

Fran

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Did somebody say CHOCOLATE?!?!?! hehehe! Girl, I love chocoalte too, but I have been trying to be good since I last made one of those chocolate coffee mug cakes and ate it ALL! But now I am craving it like mad! You little stinker! LOL!
Have a great weekend!

Susie Q said...

Oh but of course!! Gracie has hidden her stash well so Bill and I needed something to tide us over! : ) Dan came home with 4 bags of 75% off candy and I told him to hide HIS stash...from ME! Bill and I got some of the dark chocolate candies in our bowl. Yum...
We had 200 children at out door!!
Whoa!

Love,
Sue

Joanna said...

I have the biggest weakness for chocolate. So much in fact that I stole it from the kids Halloween baskets after all of it was gone from the handout candy that we had. Horrible mother, I know. But, I am looking at it this way...It's not good for their teeth! *smiles*

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, boy, I've got bags of the stuff still sitting around because I over-bought in the first place. My willpower is really not strong enough to resist all that chocolate, either! :-)

Love how your blog is decked out for Fall. Looks great, Rhoda! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Donna said...

When it comes to chocolate, I can't resist!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Oh goodness! I still have so much candy from trick-or-treating but if I saw a bag of 75% off Butterfingers I would fall for it too, big time! :)
Carrie

Hopechest Bride said...

Did I??? I just bought some chocolate covered Tootsie Rolls. If you havent tried them, you must. They are mini, so they are not as hard on our OLE teeth...lol.
Lisa

the voice of melody said...

Chocolate is a necessity (in my mind anyway!) so don't be so hard on yourself.

I made truffles yesterday so I know the feeling! :)

Unknown said...

dark chocolate is good for you. just tell yourself the rest of it is as well! i do that. makes me feel better.

Anonymous said...

I planned it pretty close this year, with just a tad leftover.

I sent J to Walgreens to pick up my prescription refill...so no temptation there. Although he's the one who ueually brings sweets home, he resisted.

I love chocolate!

Miss Janice said...

I always buy too much candy for halloween and keep eating it till Easter!
Miss Janice

Nancy Rosalina said...

Nope not me...I am trying to be good...till Christmas, then my birthday is a week after Christmas...so I have to have red velvet cake for my Birthday...it's a tradition. Then a serious diet always Starts the min. that red velvet cake is gone! Well, it's all worth it! Hope you have a great day and don't get sick on all that candy...LOL Nancy

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Well let me tell ya...I bought 1 bag of candy 1 week before Halloween. I opened it to just get 1 little snickers out...yeah right. The day of Halloween the bag was down to just about 6 pieces of candy so I called hubby and asked him to pick up another bag of candy for the trick or treaters. He came home with 2 huge bags and we only had 2 trick or treaters. So, guess where all that candy went??? It went all to us and to my hips & thighs...UGH!!! Oh well, gotta put on that extra weight this time of year to keep warm, right? LOL

Aubrey said...

My kids went trick-or-treating three times and betweent he three kids and three events, we got so much, we were passing out the stuff that we don't like!

I'm pretty sure I'll gain 50 pounds this season. I better name my hips, they'll be around for awhile.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda!
How good to hear you are getting fat! :) yeah...right. LOL

The above was for showing off those magnificent hydrangea flowers. Think you can pack up a box and ship them?
They sure last forever. I bought a big box I think off Ebay a few years ago, and they still are in great condition.

Hope you have a great weekend,
Donna (older and fatter than you :grin:)

Unknown said...

FYI on the chocolate.
Hersheys is the only candy that is not made in China.....All the H candy on the store shelves has the milk powder, and it was made in China before September.
Canada banned most of the stuff, and you can double check my info on Snopes.
Also, read what is written a few days back here..www.cheeseslave.com

Jill said...

I fall hook, line, and Snickers. I troll the aisles the day after any holiday picking up sugar in a bag.

Tracy said...

Go for it Rhoda! Just think of the money you saved! LOL I am soooo bad when it comes to sweets of any kind. Hey, You gotta live, right? Have a great weekend!

The Berry's Patch said...

I'm ready to throw out the Halloween candy. I know I've gained a few pounds eating it. :-)

Anonymous said...

hmmm I am not too bad but give me a bar of English Dairy Milk and a cup of tea and it won't last long, Fruit and Nut even better

Sarah

Suzann said...

This is exactly why I only buy candy I won't eat. LOL

Designs on 47th Street said...

We did not have very many kids stop by and had too much temptation left. My dh and I are doing a great job of taking care of it all. :( I'm glad I didn't see any big sales. Who can pass up a good buy on chocolate? You are right...it's only going to get worse. It seems like sweets in December is permissable, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

We did not have alot of kids this year so I sent most of the chocolate home with my niece. It's just too tempting for me. LOL

KM Studios said...

no we didnt fall for it...we have our own little gobblins that brought candy, on top of candy to the house!
as far as packing on the pounds - well I think we all feel like that, but I think we gotta remember to add enjoyment into our lives and if those little crunchies can put a smile on you then you go right ahead girl! Life is too short!
good post

Jules from "The Roost" said...

My thighs are out of contro!!!

sandra/tx said...

I didn't fall for it, but I sure don't need much to be enticed. :-/

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...Oh yes, chocolate and I are well acquainted. I absolutely have to have a bite (or more) daily...I fell in love with those Midnight mini-Milky Ways...and then I couldn't find them anymore...at least not at Wal-mart..Thank you God! ;-) Bo

nikkicrumpet said...

How can you turn down 75% off??? Answer...YOU CAN'T so being the smart lady you are...you didn't! I was laughing about handing out the dots and saving the good stuff. I'm guilty of the same thing!

Alisa Lucas-Brown said...

Hi Rhoda,
This is my first ever post to your blog. First, I LOOOOOOVE your blog! I have it on my blog list. Love your panache! Regarding chocolate; I think this is my favorite food. It really should have a block on the food pyramid all to itself. If you love chocolate, you should try my Double Fudge Brownie Bars from my post on November 6th. I say go ahead and have a little chocolate. As you say it 'Tis the Season! Have happy and sweet weekend!