Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas & Yummy Treats

I trust you all had a joyous and very Merry Christmas! We certainly did! I think we'll all be a little sluggish for a few days after all the eating and merry making of the holidays. We had a wonderful visit with Peter's 3 children and then headed over to Atlanta to spend a couple of days with my family. Lots of eating, as I'm sure you all did too!

We got back on Friday just in time for me to hit the after-Christmas sales, which I love to do every year. I found a few things! :) I didn't have any Christmas platters, so after spotting these at a cute little shop in Chelsea called Chelsea Lane, I went back and got them 1/2 off.
Michael's had most of their glass Christmas balls at $1.99 a box, so I loaded up with a few colors so that I can do one of these wreaths that Eddie Ross showed us how to make. If you missed it take a look. I'll be sure and show you when I finish mine. I just love the looks of it and how fun to do whatever colors fit your home.

Couldn't resist the Merry Christmas blocks 1/2 price at Homegoods (love that store!), as well as a pair of mercury glass votive candle holders.

My main goal was to buy some lighted garland, since my old garland is SO old it's shedding like an old fur coat. So, Target was my next stop and I did manage to score 100 feet of lighted white lights garland for 1/2 off. I'll be all set next year. Also from Target, I found these pretty bronzey glass garlands, red bottlebrush trees on deep discount, and a pretty set of small mercury glass ornaments. I can absolutely go crazy with the after-Christmas sales, so I have to stay focused on what will work with what I'm already doing. I think I did OK. Thought I was gonna lose my religion when I found a gorgeous pair of mercury glass fleur-de-lis stocking holders at 1/2 off. Took them up to the register where the girl promptly smacked them together while putting them in a bag and broke both of them! I was pretty aggravated about it (of course, there were NO more), but took a deep breath and went on without saying too much. I wanted to, but refrained. Not worth stressing myself out over that. I really did find plenty to bring home.


Now, back to Christmas. Peter's three (20-something) younguns came by to see us, spent the night and then had some other relatives to visit, so we did Christmas with them and then headed over to Atlanta on Christmas Eve. It was great to have them for a little while and they're all doing well.

My sister always does a huge Christmas breakfast at her house, so that's where we celebrated. Then we ate a huge meal of BBQ ribs later in the afternoon, around 4:00 pm. It was ALL yummy and we all ate way too much.

You can see we ate well for breakfast with a sausage and egg casserole, fresh fruit, cheese grits, some fancy Southern Living bacon and some butterscotch pecan rolls (which look burnt, but it was the cinnamon & brown sugar that over browned). Mom and I put that one together at her house before we went over. It was ALL delish!

Here's a few shots of my sister's house at Christmas. This little tree is in her kitchen window.

She's pared down her Christmas village, but it's still big and so pretty. I always get fascinated watching it, as she has a lot of moveable things and light-up things in here. That big tree lights up and goes round and round.

As do the kids sledding around the rink. See flying Santa overhead?

IMG_3687

My friend, Debbie shared a treat with me that I just loved and got the recipe to make at home. It’s really easy to put together and the most time-consuming part is making the balls and rolling them in the powdered sugar. It’s worth it though! I didn’t think I’d like dates all that much, but this is a really good little treat.


Dingbats (wonder who made up this name) I’d actually call them Date Balls


1 stick butter


1 pkg. Dates (I used 10 oz container)


1 cup sugar


Put all 3 of the above in saucepan and stir to melt butter and blend all together.


Add in 2 cups rice crispies


1 Cup chopped pecans


Mix well and let cool to touch.


Spoon into balls, roll in powdered sugar. And EAT! IMG_3688



IMG_3689


IMG_3690


IMG_3691


Mine aren't all that pretty, but they taste good! IMG_3694




That’s it! Hope you try them and enjoy too! And I hope that you ALL had a wonderful Christmas. We sure did, but I'll be ready to clean up all the Christmas stuff and put it away for another year very soon.


Don't forget our Before & After Projects party in January. I'll put up a post on Monday with a button and all the info on that.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 friends stopped by:

duchess said...

So glad y'all had a great time.
Now we can all lay down for a long winter's rest (our tummies are full).

Anonymous said...

Oh my Goodness Rhoda. I just make "Dingbats" but rolled them in coconut. They are fabulous. I had never heard of them before this year and now they are one of my favorites. It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. May God continue to bless you through out the New Year.

Beckie
www.adventuresinme-beckie.com

Missy Wertz said...

I was stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas and it sounds like you had a great Christmas!

I did a little shopping with my mom today before taking her back to Huntsville. It was fun. Burlingtons and TJ's. Did not make it to Homegoods. She does not move around well, and her birthday is in a few days. I wanted to make it a special shopping day for her.

I would have had to bite my tongue over those stocking holders too!

That breakfast looks delish!

Glad you had a wonderful Christmas!

Blessings,
Melissa

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Looks like you found some great buys on your shopping trip...

and yummmmm the dingbats sound good! Thanks for sharing

Lady Katherine said...

The Dingbats look yummy! I love the gingerbread tree at your sister home! Looks like you had fun at the Christmas sales! I love the wreath Eddie made. I can't wait to see yours!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda!

I'm glad you're safely back home, and you got some good deals! :-)

I love your sister's cute tree, and I also love all the pretties you found at the sales!

That food looks good to me, and I want to try those yummy goodies. Thanks for the recipe.

Glad you got a good visit with family in for Christmas!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Connie said...

What a delightful blog, my little cherub!! I just found you I think from someone's blog but cannot for the life of me remember who. Must be an alzheimers day for me. Come over and visit with me sometimes if you have a few minutes. Those treats sound wonderful but I'd break a fingernail gettin' to those pecan rolls, honey!!
Smooches,
Connie

bloggin' Chrystal said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! I love that photo of the "grown-up" kids with their Dad. That will be cherished for years to come. The village at your sister's house is just beautiful. I dream of having one ...one day. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you. I'm glad your travels were safe.

Carolina Mama said...

Hope your Christmas was merry and bright. Love your new decor. And hmmm. Thinking about the Before After. :)

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Ooooh I love a before and after! LOVE IT! Can't wait for that! I got some deals today too but may have to go back...:)

Lori said...

Now I'm hungry after looking at that delicious food! I saw the wreath Eddie made and I think the bulbs you picked out are perfect. It will be a very elegant looking wreath.

Lori

Linda Q said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas and a Full one! Great finds after Christmas sales too, I did some of mine on line since I can't get out.
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Linda

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Rhonda...sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas..and a great after sale's day...I just love Home Goods...but my nearest one is 65 miles away..but still go at least 6 times a year..great post today...hugs and smiles Gloria

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I knew you'd be out as soon as those 'sale' signs went up! I can't wait to see that finished wreath.

Anonymous said...

Looks like some great after Christmas shopping, Rhoda.

I went to the Hallmark,here in town, and treated myself to one Christopher Radko and 2 Jim Shore snow people, before driving south for Michael's. I missed being there early enough for most things, but did get some trees for my villages and a few votive holders.

I hope to have a before and after post, sometime in January. While at Michael's I bought white frames and white double mats for black and white photos of the lake area. This is for the foyer redo. Hopefully will get that painted next week.Can't wait to see all the projects!

Lorilee said...

Rhoda,
I guess decorating runs in the family! Those Dingbats look delish!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog. Postively wonderful!!!
Dingbats? Um, I'll have to try those. And thanks for a fabulous place to visit.

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...it looks like you did Christmas up right! Peter's children are all goodlooking kids (like dad, eh?)...so glad y'all had a lot of family to celebrate with...Happy New Year! ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

Yummy! This date ball recipe sounds wonderful. Must try that. I love dates and use them instead of sugar in my green smoothies. So glad you had an awesome Christmas. Wishing you and yours the best New Years ever. xoxo

misss_e said...

Ooo awesome finds! I love the votive candle holders! Im glad you enjoyed your holiday!!! Hmm I dont like dates or raisins...maybe the Dingbats would be just as good with cranberries.

Anonymous said...

Dingbats? We rolled ours in coconut and called them Adventurers! Yummy and sweet!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Oh my goodness...I think I would have come unglued when the cashier broke those stocking holders. You are a better woman than me for holding it together and being a gracious southern lady. Sounds like you had a Merry Christmas with your family...I'm so glad.

~Amanda

Oxford Impressions said...

Hello,
What do you call the "fake snow" you used in your Linden Street hurricane lantern and your sister's Christmas Village? I've been looking on eBay for 30 minutes or so and all I've found is a product called Mica flakes, but it looks more "glittery" than what you use. Thanks !

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

You had me at Mutterscotch Pecan Rolls...

:-)

Nice work on the sales! I was so exhausted I couldn't bring myself to shop. Plus I need to do some serious post-Boxing Day boxing up this weekend. I have too much stuff! (Plus I need to clear room for the spring thaw when yard sale season starts again, LOL!).

I'm going to need to also do some serious home primping this weekend to get ready for your before-and-after party. Our little shore house has come a long way this year (I can't believe -- but we closed on it a year ago this past week!).

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda, everything looks so beautiful and festive. And thanks for the recipe, looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Everything is lovely over here as usual Rhoda! Just stopped by to wish you and yours a Happy New Year!

p.s. I am totally going to make those Dingbats tomorrow!

Joy
xo

Anonymous said...

Just SAW this~~~~ FABULOUS!!!! (And I LOVE those red plaid n' fringed valances AND the tree there with it, too!~~~ toooo wonderful!!!)...Thanks!!! XO, Linda