Saturday, January 24, 2009

Framed

IM000606

This is my old bathroom in Georgia. We put in the furniture piece complete with sink and marble tiles and it really turned out pretty. I loved this vanity, the feet, hardware and everything about it. That was back when wallpaper and borders were really in (hello 90's), but I don’t miss either, however, and it was time to move on to Alabama and a new house.

IM000598

This was a classic dining room buffet in a former life, but worked out well for a new vanity in the bathroom. And yes, that is indeed a cat’s tail you see in the pic. My sweet kitty that I used to have loved drinking water out of the sink.

IM000594

Now, here’s the part I really wanted to show you. This mirror was framed out using square blocks and fluted moldings and glued on with Liquid Nails. These were painted and glued on the mirror by me. And just to clarify, YES...they are glued directly on top of the mirror, not the wall. So, you don't need extra space on either side of your mirror at all. No more crackle finish this time around, but I’ve got big plans for these……IMG_3924

And 2 naked bathroom mirrors just crying out for some bling. You’ve probably seen this done before, but it’s a great way to frame out a plain bath mirror without taking it down and starting over. You’ll see soon enough and I'll show off both of them! I'm working on the first one now.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

79 friends stopped by:

Helen said...

I had NEVER considered doing anything like this - until now! Thanks bunches....

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I wish I would have thought of this idea before spending a small fortune on new ones. I will have to remember this one~ Countdown till Blissdom!!!!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

You're right, I have seen this done before, but on a MUCH smaller scale. I love how bold you are!

I am getting so many great ideas from you, girl...and I don't even HAVE a house yet!!! lol

Missy Wertz said...

Very pretty. At first I thought the wallpaper was a faux finish...that was working! Love the mirror.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

And to think..right now, you're adding some beautiful bling - can't wait to see it. :)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh boy, Rhoda! I can't wait to see! I like projects like this!!

xo,

Sheila :-)

Twice as Nice said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks so much for praying for my sweet friend.

southerninspiration said...

The only thing that would be better would be if I were there learning with hands on!! I have been thinking of doing this, so this is so timely! I can't wait for the tutorial to walk me thru it!! Thanks!

Suzanne

Becky said...

I love it!

What would you do about a builder grade, mirrored medicine cabinet? I would love to frame my mirrors, but I don't know what to do with the medicine cabinets.

Unknown said...

Liquid nails!! (hits self in head) I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to frame out a mirror with no mitering and no nails! Thank you!

Terri Steffes said...

Cool. I have a huge plate glass mirror that needs some help in my master bath. Maybe I'll have a Met Monday post someday!

Salmagundi said...

That's a great project - looking forward to the finished mirror. That was one beautiful vanity in your previous bathroom. Sally

Anonymous said...

LOL It is amazing to me how many times we are thinking about almost the same things! I was JUST asking my sisters boyfriend the other day did he know how to miter joints? He said he did and I asked him to teach me. I have a VERY LONG piece of chair rail molding in my attic that's already stained and everything that I wanted to use for around all my bathroom mirrors. Right now they are sooooo plain with nothing around them. I really LOVE this idea but wouldn't want to glue it down to the wall with the liquid nails because at some point I might just want larger or smaller mirrors. lol I guess I could glue all the wood together and just use screws to mount it to the wall. Your bath is/was soooo very pretty!!!! And LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! That would look VERY NICE and expensive. ;)
Thanx for sharing with us Rhoda!

Natalia said...

I love this idea...the miters would definitely have prevented me from ever attempting it :)

The whole room is stunning, and I love that even the cat is coordinated!

Staying warm?

-Nat

Unknown said...

I wish our mirrors weren't pushed up against our walls. Great idea!

randee said...

rhoda - i love that idea! and i have 2 bathrooms in need of just this, too, so i can't wait to see yours turn out.

your old bathroom was beautiful (i used to crackle everything back in the late 90's).

Ivy Lane said...

Great idea! Does it look okay from the side? Can't wait to see the 2 that you are working on!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I laughed out loud when I saw your cat's tail and when you said your cat liked to drink out of the sink. The cat we adopted won't drink water out of a bowl. It will only drink water from a running faucet...so it jumps in the bathtub and meows until we turn on the water. Never saw such a crazy cat!

Unknown said...

OOOH!! I'm going to try that in my master bathroom. Can you just liquid nail the wood directly to the mirror, if there's not enough dry wall to glue to?

Ally's Corner said...

We framed two bathroom mirrors in this house. Love it.

Karen said...

I have GOT to do this. So if I use the corner blocks there is no mitering needed! That is the ONLY was it will get done in this house:)

Carol Murdock said...

Rhoda.........
are they glued on the mirror edges or to the wall surrounding mirror?
I so have a bath mirror that needs this !

Anonymous said...

And it will be FABULOUS for sure!!!
xo,
Kim

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, ladies, I'll be sure & do a whole post on this in steps as I'm getting these up. And YES, you can glue the pieces directly to the mirror. One thing to remember is to paint the backside of your molding as it shows a bit in the reflection of the mirror. Liquid nails is wonderful for a projects like this. You'll need to tape the pieces in place with blue painters tape to hold it while it dries. And it will need a little caulking in the seams after everything dries. Then go back with touchup paint. Some of my molding is real wood & some is that lightweight stuff, but either will work. My molding is drying now & then I'll cut the pieces to fit. I'll show you all the steps later!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh I can't wait to see the finished project.. hugs ~lynne~

Kerri said...

I have been thinking about buying a new framed mirror to replace the one in my bathroom. I can't wait to see the results and give it a try.

Kerri

Chris Kauffman said...

In my family room I used the mouldings to creat wainscotting , I will show pictures of that too , it is really good looking when done well.
Chris

Anonymous said...

We want to do this with the mirror at the lake, but I couldn't remember how you did yours. I had no idea you just glue to the mirror! I see another project at the condo!! Maybe two, both baths have these mirrors!

Gretchen said...

Oh! I can't wait to see the new finished project!
What a great idea! I really don't want to give up my giant wall mirrors, so this is the perfect answer!

Beth at Aunties said...

Rhoda,

These are going to look great. I am WAY looking forward to the finished product!
I liked the first one you did in your last home. Enjoy the creating and hurry PLEASE:-)

♥♥♥

Darlene said...

I can't wait to see it....we have a large mirror in our guest bathroom and I have been wanting to frame it.

Rose Broadway (Rosie) said...

Rhoda, When we moved into our home six years ago it was brand new, but the mirrors in all three bathrooms were naked.

I framed all of them just exactly like you did except I painted mine mahogany.

Love your site. Give us more projects like this!

Girly Stuff said...

I have been thinking about doing this for at least 3 years now!

As soon as you reveal the secrets (like how to get around the mirror clip with the molding) then I will get started!

Rose Broadway (Rosie) said...

Rhoda, I just read your comment regarding Liquid Nails. I used builders glue, which is almost the same thing, but here's a little tip I learned in case the tape won't hold the heavy pieces:

Put the Liquid Nails on BUT ALSO put a daub of hot glue on each end. That takes hold immediately and will hold it until the LN cures.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oh, You'll work your magic...I am sure of it!

It's Always Something Around Here said...

What a great idea! The mirror in my daughter's bathroom needs some help...this would be perfect in there.

I can't wait to see you finished product.

Lou Ann

Sharon said...

I am inspired every time I read your blog - and this mirror frame treatment is a perfect example why! My mom is wanting to re-do her bathroom but doesn't want to remove what I call "the big honkin' mirror" and this will be the answer to making it fit her new cottage decor! The corner pieces come in several motifs and I figure if we just "shabby white" them and the fluted side pieces - well, voila! Thank you for such a stellar idea.

Lorilee said...

Rhoda,
I have been wanting to frame my bathroom mirrors for some time now. I just didn't know quite how to go about it. Thanks for the post. Also like the commenters suggestion of hot glue to hold until liquid nails dries. Now I just need to decide what "finish" to use on the wood!!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Decor To Adore said...

I can't wait to see~!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I have been thinking to hang a framed mirror on my mirror, but I like this idea instead. I will let you know if/when I do it. Thanks Rhoda!

Unknown said...

I've got one naked mirror that has been crying out for help! Do you just glue it over the little mirror holder things?

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

This is on my list to do for master bathroom... unless I can talk hubby into pulling the huge mirror down and putting up 2 smaller mirrors!

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda...I wish I had your bathroom mirror ideas before we decided to gut our bathroom. I hated the huge mirror in there. I am always pleasantly surprised by the creative, decorative ideas you come up with that I never would have thought of.

Love that cat!! :-)

xoxo Jane

Unknown said...

What a pretty mirror. Great idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! This is wonderful!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Sherri said...

I love this idea. I actually have an 'old' very large picture frame I am planning to place ON my mirror in my bathroom. Can't wait for more info on your project and I just LOVE your blog!

Free Art Printables said...

Rhoda, I love the way that looks!

Justabeachkat said...

Great idea Rhoda! Can't wait to see how you do it this time. Maybe I should do something like this in the guest room where you and Peter stayed??

Okay now I need some help with Super Bowl decorations in my formal dining room where we'll be putting the food this year. I've posted some pics of the room although you've seen it in person. Help! You always have great ideas.

Hugs!
Kat

Southern said...

I LOVE this!!!! I'm going to have to do this in my guest bath!!!

Jill said...

GENIUS! I have two bathroom mirrors that need just this! Thank you!

Kathi said...

What a great idea! Thanks for telling us how you did it too!

A New England Life said...

Rhoda I'm so glad I saw this post! I have the same dilemma, a large, quality mirror in a bathroom I'm re-doing with no frame. Now what to do with it?

I have to ask though, how did you hang it? Are there hooks on the wood? I'm just afraid that won't hold it.

Thank you for the wonderful inspiration!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Rhoda what a wonderful idea for a mirror. Can't wait to see your finished products! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oops! I didn't mean to post as Anonymous. Not sure what happened there! xoxo

Kimba said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out! I've been dying to do the same thing to my bathroom mirror but I think I've been making it harder than it needs to be.

Kimba

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I did this to my hall bathroom too and used liquid nails. It's so easy to do. I was in Lowe's yesterday and they now have kits they sell to do this.

Manuela

Bo said...

Hi Ms. Rhoda...I took your poll and clicked on everything...so I hope you'll continue to share some of all...Your former bathroom was beautiful & I'll bet it helped your house sell extra quickly!
;-) Bo

KM Studios said...

let the creativity flow!!!!

cant wait to see it all finished

cotedetexas said...

You bathroom looked so great - I think I would have put in a cabinet from Home Depot before I moved and taken that beautiful cabinet with me!!!! I couldn't have left it. The legs looked so great on it. Love the mirror idea and how you repeated it a few times - very cute!!!!

Runner Mom said...

Hey!
I'm visiting your blog for the first time, and just love it! I've only been reading for 45 minutes!!! Wow! Wonderful ideas! Wish that you were closer to SC! I have a study that we're getting ready to re-do! Found great chairs for 20 each at a thrift store. Only trouble is that they are '80's UGLY!! I am trying to figure out how to slip cover these babies! Also,trying to figure out what colrs to use! It'll come!! Enjoy your day!
Hugs,
Susan

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

I AM going to try this one day....remember this project on GI! It really adds to the mirror. :)

Coffee with Cathy said...

So wallpaper and borders are out??? This is why I have to read you -- so I know these things!!!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Hi Rhoda,
I have 3 huge bathroom mirrors that have needed something for some time and you've just given me the answer!! Thank you.
Have a wonderful week and I'll share the photos with you when I get them done!
Blessings,
Sandy

Montee said...

I am wanting to do this in my bathrooms.

sandra/tx said...

Rhoda, that's a great idea to frame those plate glass mirrors. I still remember when you did your old one -- beautiful bathroom!

Janet said...

I can't wait to see what you do.

punkinmama said...

I've been thinking of doing this to my mirrors, but didn't really know how... I'm hoping you have a step-by-step tutorial coming!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
Okay, now I'm really excited, knowing you did it on the mirror! I can't wait to see how, so I can do it in all 3 bathrooms. I hate mirrors that aren't framed.

Sheryl

Ms. Tee said...

What a great job! Looks so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Hellllo, old pal! (OOPS! I meant "LONG-TIME" pal!)~~~ Not only did I enjoy this, but am E-mailing my niece (who just bought a new home in So Cal) your blog address~~~ I had heard about this & seen it done, but THIS will reeeally "show/explain to her" just HOW to do it, so MANY THANKS!!! (And I went to your last blog here~~~ that's TERRIFFIC, too!)~ Hope 2009 is going well for you! Warmest, Linda

A Hint of Home said...

Can't wait to ssee the finished product. My mirrors could use the same treatments.
Love what you did in the former house with the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Yes, what do you do about the little plastic mirror holders?

NeeNee said...

Love it! I'd been thinking about how I would do it, and wonder how it looks from the side. One side of my mirror butts up against the wall, so the edge won't show, but I'm concerned about how it will look from the other side. Can't wait to see your step-by-step instructions.

chanteusevca said...

Please hurry and show me more! I'm having to search your wonderful blog for more ideas to ready my home and back yard for a spring wedding for my bonus(step) son and his fiance and a lot of family! Help!

Can't wait to do this quick but beautiful fix to a bathroom!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Love that idea, Rhoda! However, I have been banned from anything resembling super glue after my little glue incident. I think I might have to be pardoned to try a project like this though, I have those same big mirrors to jazz up!!!

Neisey said...

Looks good. Can't wait to see your next project.

Mary @ Framed and Tagged said...

This is great!!! I am so going to do this! Thanks for your great photos!

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

Hi Rhoda! Love your blog!! I really would like to give this project a try but have a question first! The mirror that I have in my bathroom has these little clip things that hold it onto the wall. Can I still do the moldings or will the clips prevent the molding from glueing well to the mirror, in other words, are the clips going to be in the way? Thanks for your help!!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I've been asking (begging) my husband to figure out a way to glue a frame around our huge plate-glass mirror in the bathroom. I'm so excited to see this post--I'm going to have him read it and try to do the same thing. Thanks, Rhoda! :-)