Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Monogrammed Napkins

IMG_3965

My niece, Lauren, is a lawyer by day, but I think secretly she’d rather be doing some crafty, like monogramming. Litigation, oh that’s all well and good, but she also has a creative side that she recently decided to pursue by buying a honkin’ sewing/monogram machine off Ebay (a Viking Husqvarna Designer SE) and she has been monogramming up a storm ever since. Which is fine by me, cause I get nifty items like monogrammed napkins for my dining room. IMG_3964

When I was home at Christmas, I witnessed the magic of the monogram machine and saw it in action. She also had bought up some items that she found deals on with thoughts of using them for personalized gifts. I spotted these pretty beige linen napkins with black borders in her stash and asked begged her to do them for my dining room for Christmas and she agreed. IMG_3966

She was backlogged with a few other things, so they just arrived in the mail this week and I was overjoyed with how they came out. Aren’t they pretty? IMG_3967

Thank you, Lauren dear, I just love them. They really go perfectly in my dining room. They are so pretty, I almost hate to use them.

Speaking of my dining room, I think this year will be the year for a few changes in there. I’m planning to add some molding below my chair rail and I have officially decided to lighten up in there and paint over the red! I know, it’s a pretty color, but I feel the need for a brighter dining room and I think I’ll enjoy the change. So that’s another DIY project on my list, one I haven’t done before, but I keep seeing so many girls in blogland doing moldings, I figure I can do it too. Not sure yet on the paint color, but it will probably be a creamy beige color. I tossed around the idea of light blue last year, but I got my blue fix in my downstairs guestroom, so the dining room will be a good spot for neutral. I really think my dark wood table, china cabinet, and sideboard will really show off much better against lighter walls. The toile drapes will stay, as will the seagrass rug. Changes, changes! IMG_3970

Look what’s blooming in my window! One of my neighbors gave me a small amaryllis plant from her big one last summer and I’ve faithfully watered it and now it’s bursting with 2 blooms. How fun to have blooms in the winter. I will move this one outside during the summer months and back in for Winter.

It has been a few years since I did that framed mirror in my old house, so I had to refresh myself again on the best process for it. You will get to learn from MY mistakes! They are both up, so I'll share those next week. I ran into a few problems with the first and I'll tell you all about what NOT to do with yours. So, if you think my projects always go perfect, I can tell you they don't. When you're doing a project, you have to allow for snags that happen along the way, but I think I've fine-tuned the process now. And I'll just tell you, I've changed my method of hanging them. Forget the Liquid Nails. Too messy and slow to dry. It seems that the hot glue gun is the best way after all! Stay tuned for details on Monday.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

57 friends stopped by:

Terri Steffes said...

I have a berry colored dining room and I too have been considering changing the color. It is the color of my grandmother's dining room and that is why I am having troubles deciding to change it. I was thinking a Laura Ashley gold, though. I have crown molding at the top and have been considering a chair rail and molding under that.

Thanks for the tip about the framing of the mirrors, that is on my mind as well!

Arlynn said...

Being from the De-licious South, like you Rhoda, I appreciate anything monogrammed. I must have blogged at least two or three times in ht elist month about monograms : )

There are just so many unique items to embroider & the make the perfect gift!

Lately, I've been in the market for a chocolate brown, square, linen pillow with a fabulous W embroidered right in the center. It's going to be the cherry on top of my masterbedroom bedding!

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful Rhoda! Lauren did a wonderful job!

Lawsy Mercy said...

Rhoda,

Last fall I painted over my cranberry dining room and it is now a bone ivory color. I love the peacefulness. I need to plan a future blog post about it. I say go for it! The napkins are gorgeous!

Vanessa

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Yes; life is better with a blue gun, isn't it? Sounds like you're well on your way to your Best of 2009 post!

Your napkins came out great! I love the mental picture I've created of your talented niece getting so wrapped up in her monogram machine (as I would!) that she starts monogramming her legal briefs or something. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Love those monogrammed napkins!! Great job and wonderful gift, Lauren!
We're going to be doing over the red powder room soon. Not sure of color, but believe it will be one of the colors leftover from the condo redo. The direction of the living room/dining/foyer has been evolving over the last year...now it's time to bring the powder room up to date.
Looking forward to your dining room redo.

Unknown said...

Love the napkins. I am also monogramming anything I can get my hands on. Isn't it funny that we are all thinking about going lighter. Must be the winter, or the recession? Hmmm. I am sure your dining room will turn out beautiful.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Ohhhhh,those napkins are gorgeous! I am all about anything monogrammed. Is that a southern thing? My friends from out west just don't get it!

Wendy said...

I recently painted my living room Universal Khaki by Sherwin Williams. It is the PERFECT neutral color. Let me fill you in on my painting history: Every time I paint a room, I always wish I had chosen another color - and usually end up painting twice! This time, no re-repainting! It's that perfect!

southerninspiration said...

LOVE the napkins.....they are perfect!
Suzanne

Mrs. Limestone said...

I dont know how to sew a stitch but I lust for those computer driven monogramming machines. So many fun uses.

PS: I saw your post on my blog. The box rooms paint color is Benjamin Moore "Silver Martin" which is really a pale green with a little blue gray in it.

Lady Katherine said...

Your napkins are lovely your neice did a great job. Love seeing the blooms as it is so gloomly outdoors.

Lady Katherine said...

Your napkins are lovely your neice did a great job. Love seeing the blooms as it is so gloomly outdoors.

Lady Katherine said...

Your napkins are lovely your neice did a great job. Love seeing the blooms as it is so gloomly outdoors.

Anonymous said...

Love those napkins and anything
monogramed. I made some 30x30 pillows for my bed, act like a
headboard,put trim and then had
them monogrammed and they look
wonderful.
My diningroom is painted Sherwin
Williams "antilical grey" (sp?)
and I love it, really is neutral.

Stacey said...

I think it's time for me to lighten up my red dining room too. However, when I mention this to people they say, "Oh it's so pretty." I'm just wishing for some of the lighter more serene colors I'm seeing these days. Lead the way Rhoda!

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

THESE ARE SOOOO ELEGANT! HUGS FROM MAINE http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda,
I am officially green over those napkins! I'm considering buying a Janome embroidery machine just not sure if I can wrap my head around spending that much $$$. But I really want it......

Hey, we think alike! Painting the DR is on my list this year too and I'm considering something like your MBR and den colors. The dark red has been there for several years. Time for a change.
Hugs, DebraK

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The napkins are just gorgeous. She really does a great job and you're so lucky to receive such a perfect gift. I do know what you mean about the red walls, I did that in the last house, pretty but really wanted a change. Now everything is too bland so I'm on the bandwagon to add some white to give some of the neutrals a crisp look. I can't wait to see what you do. Hugs, Marty

Carol Murdock said...

Rhoda........those have my initial
on them ! Care to share? They are beautiful !

wildraz said...

Wow, she did a great job! I just love monograms too-they make everything seem more special.

The Bliss Journey said...

The napkins are beautiful. What a wonderful gift.
Kathleen

julie & joe said...

I love the napkins. I have an embroidery machine and I LOVE it! I have owned it for about 10 years and I am always finding something new to do with it.

Mary said...

LOVE those napkins -- they are beautiful! :)
xoxo,
Mary

Deborah Stanish said...

The napkins are lovely and really compliment your decor. I've had your blog on my Google Reader list for some time and always enjoy your makeovers and enthusiasm. However, I'm really finding the new font awkward and have found myself skipping recent posts. I hate to say anything because, hey - your space, your rules! But I might not be the only one so I just wanted to mention it.

Thanks for all the great tips.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sounds like we are all ready to change out some red in our homes!

Deborah, thanks for mentioning the font. I didn't think it was hard to read, but maybe others do. Anyone else have a hard time with the font? I can just as easily change it back to a normal one.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

That is great that you have a niece to bless you with nice personalized gifts! I bought an embroidery machine over the summer & got so frustrated with it that I returned it. Decided it wasn't for me...neither is sewing! LOL

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Hi Rhoda,
I too have the requisite red dining room. Can't wait to see your pictures when you paint yours. I've been thinking about making some changes, but can't seem to get the energy for that right now. Shocker I know, I am a self proclaimed Lazy Mom after all!

Anonymous said...

I so want one of those machines! Love the napkins! I haven't notice a font change so it has bothered me.

Manuela

Judy said...

You know I'm drooling over those napkins, I love anything monogrammed!

I'll keep my eye out for a cabinet for your kitchen but you'll probably find one before I do. Also, I will really give some serious consideration to the B'ham flea market trip in March, maybe you could do a little "Eddie Ross" kind of thing! Has anyone up that way expressed any interest? If not, you and I will have a grand time anyway!

Hugs!
Judy

Debra said...

Beautiful napkins!! Great blog by the way.

Helen said...

Sherwin Williams paints are the best! I just painted a bedroom in a shade called 'bagel.' I noticed it's the same shade they used in one of the HGTV Dream Home rooms!

Great monograms!!!!!

Unknown said...

My motto is -- if it ain't movin', monogram it! Love the napkins!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Ooooh, I love the monogrammed napkins! So goodlooking, Rhoda!

And your pretty plants look like they're waiting for the weather to warm up as we all are.

Can't wait to see your projects!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the napkins!

Anonymous said...

These are so pretty:)

Missy Wertz said...

Rhoda, those are very pretty napkins. I have an embroidery machine and I am ashamed to say, I have not used it in at least 2 years. I used to embroider/monogram anything that stayed still long enough. LOL! DD used to call it 'Mama's machine that made pictures. When Mama is deb an gone, it will be mine!' LOL! When I would catch her playing with my 'stuff', I would tell her it wasn't hers to play with until I was dead and gone...

Joanna said...

They are very lovely! I need one of those machines so bad!

Mary said...

Those napkins are so pretty Rhoda, do you have any more project for Lauren to monogram?
I think your DR will be great in the lighter color, I can't wait to see what you do, and I know you will be able to do the molding, if you are brave enough to do electric work the molding will be a cinch. Have you told your hubby how lucky he is to have you lately?

Home as Hobby said...

That "M" is gorgeous! It is the perfect font (what is it?). I have begged for monogrammed linen napkins for about 3 years now for Christmas. Maybe one day...I will just adore yours!

Suzy said...

Rhoda,
Love the napkins! And have been thinking of changing my dining room color and adding molding too!! How funny.....
Great Post,
Suzy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Really like your napkins. My daughter has a machine that monograms and I keep thinking I will get her to do some for me, but she is so busy with work, children, school, etc., I don't have the heart to ask. The amaryllis is pretty.
Glenda

Remodeling Guy said...

Hey - Great Blog here! I just wanted to stop and thank you for your comment on my guest post at Nesting Place! I'm glad to hear you liked it!
I can give you a whole shopping list for power tools!
Remodeling Guy

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

What wonderful napkins. She did a lovely job, didn't she.

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Rhoda; I really love the napkins, they are so pretty. She did a wonderful job on them.

Hugs;
Alaura

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

I LOVE the napkins!!! She could sell tons of those on ESTY I bet! :)

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda~
That's what I should have asked Santa for.... a niece with a big sewing machine! LOL
Love those.
Donna

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda, tell Lauren we love her napkins!! Monograming like a fun thing to do and everyone will want a one-of-kind work of art!!

Love the idea for the dining room. Red is a very popular color for dining rooms and I think it will be fun to change it up a bit.

Beautiful amaryllis!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Inspired Kara said...

They are beautiful!!!!

They look almost identical to some monogramed bath towels I got for Christmas.

Familjen Stålnacke said...

The napkins are lovely Rhoda, I wish I had someone (or a machine) to do such beautiful monograms for me, I do love anything letters and numbers :-)

And by the way, I have no problem at all with your font.

Wishing you a lovely day!
Greetings from Sweden,
Susanne

Kathy said...

Those napkins are totally gorgeous, Rhoda. I've always wanted to do monogramming...something to add to the someday list!
Kathy

Kat said...

Lucky you! Love those napkins. Perfect in your DR! Cant wait to see what changes you make. Now Im off to catch up on the blue room.

Designs on 47th Street said...

Oh my...I'm trying not to covet those beautiful, gorgeous monogrammed napkins....the initial even works for my maiden name! :) Please let me know if your niece decides to do an etsy shop and sell her fine work.

Ut Oh...I just decided to paint my walls in the dining room cajun red! eek!

Anonymous said...

Please tell Lauren that she did an awesome job on the napkins!!! I love those Rhoda! Hmm.. wonder if she could put "daisy cottage" on something?? I'd love to pay her to do so!
Can't wait to see your redos that you have planned..I'm still a red and yellow girl but love seeing everyone's different hues and styles! Since our bedroom went yellow, I'm thinking the "travel" room is going to go that blue that you and I discussed when you were here (almost a year ago.. can you believe that!)
Have a great day sweet friend!
xo,
Kim

Kathysue said...

Hi Rhoda,I never met a monogram I didn't like!!! The napkins are perfectly YOU!It is a gorgeous design and the touch of black is oh so sophisticated.I am glad to hear of the upcoming change in the Dining Room.I think you white dishes are going to just shine in there.Can't wait to see what you come up with.Remember my motto,"Enjoy the Process".Thankyou for taking the time to stop by at my space on Micasa it was so neat to see you there.Kathysue

Silvia said...

love visiting your blog.