Friday, February 20, 2009

Growing Berries

IMG_3845

Last year, I shared the wonder of blackberries at Petals from the Past and ever since our visit, me and hubby have planned to plant our own, in hopes of a berry bounty at our very own house. So, we have taken a couple of trips down there this fall, buying blueberry and blackberry plants. Above is how they plant their blackberries, on wooden posts and wires and how they look in winter.

IMG_1723

Which, by next summer, will look like this.

IMG_1725

With LOTS of THESE berries to be eaten.

IMG_3846

If you haven’t been to Petals from the Past yet and you live in this area…GO!

IMG_3847

It’s an inspiring place to garden and get ideas.

IMG_3849

And now we have 6 blueberry bushes growing in our front yard, the only place they get enough sun. We don’t mind! The bushes are ornamental and hopefully in 2 years time, we’ll have our own berries.
IMG_3850

As well as Kiowah blackberries, which are going in the backyard on posts and wires. IMG_1732

In about 2 years, this will be US, we hope….harvesting our own berries!

I'm curious to see how many of you have done the mirror project yet?? Let's do a party soon. Let me know if you've finished yours and we'll share pics all around blogland.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 friends stopped by:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Rhoda how neat that you will be growing your own berries. I hope we will soon also. My DH just brought home cuttings from the extension farm that the college has. Soon great pies, fruit salads and on my cereal. I can't wait to see how yours do. Hugs, Marty

Kathi said...

YUM! I'll have to go check out Petals from the Past real soon!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I see some yummy cobblers this summer!

Anonymous said...

Blackberries and blueberries are amazing! I think I could live off of them. We have a relative with a very large blueberry farm. She orders certain insects to help with other insects to keep from using pesticides. Then she gets amazing honey from keeping bees around to help. It's all so neat!
-Kim

Amanda Herrold said...

That's so cool that you will be growing your own berries. I can barely keep my plants alive :)
www.lazymoms.com

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Mmmm, those berries looked so yummy! Back in MN we used to go blueberry and chokecherry berry picking. I miss those days. I'm going to have to plant some again along with black berries. Thanks for sharing!
Tammy

Anonymous said...

That was interesting to see. Did they tell you why they grow them that way? I have mine just growing along the picket fence that lines my veg garden.

Blueberries are absolutley beautiful in spring but you know you'll have to cover them when you get berries otherwise you're just feeding the birds!

I did my mirror about 8 years ago but I'd be happy to join in!

Manuela

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

The berries are just gorgeous! Can't wait to see your plants bear fruit!

Joanna said...

Yummy! When we lived in Irondale, we had a whole patch where my great grandmother had planted them. They were so good. I remember going out as a child when they were ripe and I would pick them and eat them and then get in trouble! Mother wanted them for baking and such. *smiles*

Tami said...

Yum! Love berries of all kinds! When little we use to stand around my dads blueberry bushes and eat. I look forward to one day having bushes/vines in my back yard too!


Have a sunny day!

springrose said...

I'm still trying to convince my Hubby it would be a fab idea!! Maybe I will just do one and then he will agree!!

Sandy said...

Oh Rhoda, I hope that it works for you! We've tried raspberries (tough!) and do have some blueberries. Of course you've seen our strawberries::)
Can't wait for summer!
BTW, I'm having a GIVEAWAY on my blog today!

Mary @ Framed and Tagged said...

For the ones that don't live close, you might want to take more photos in the summer for us to see...:) I love how neat every thing is.

Sandra said...

Hello, my name is Sandra and I found your blog by accident. I was searching for ways to paint a chair and bumped into your blog. I love all your pictures you have posted. You have given me sooo many ideas to make my home even more beautiful.
Good luck with the berries. I am excited to start my garden again this year.
Thanks for such a wonderful blog. God Bless.

Judi said...

Hi Rhoda

The berries look soooo delicious!! Won't it be nice when you can pick the berries you've harvested too. They look like healthy plants too.
thank you for sharing...I think I could eat a slice of a delish fruit pie right about now!
have a lovely day
Judi
p.s. come by and visit I'm having a giveaway!!

trish said...

I love fresh blueberries from our bushes!! Yum! And so good for you!
I had my husband print off your directions on the mirror makeover, so I can do it too! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Sandi McBride said...

I'm beginning to think we have a psychic connection...my post today is so much like this one, I'm wondering who channeled who!
Sandi

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

How cool is this girl...but will tell you watch them or they will take over the whole yard...been there done that...have a great weekend girl...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

oh yes, hoping that we have lots of our own berries this year. :)

Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda,

The berries look scrumptious! Are you digging out the jam recipe's yet?

Have a great weekend! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

We haven't ventured to berries yet, just started a "deck" garden of tomatoes and peppers this past summer. I will live through you and see how yours turn out. Have fun!
~Misti

SoBella Creations said...

The berries are beautiful!

Heathahlee said...

Those blackberries are HUGE! What good cobblers they'll make! I wish you luck with them!

My best friend, Kat, (she came with me to Nashville), has several blueberry bushes and I love to go down there in summer and pick to my heart's content. MMMmmmmm....

morninglorycottage said...

Hi Rhoda,
Finally got a chance to stop by and get caught up. You're a busy girl! I loved your post on the mirrors. I had just been wondering if that kind of project would work in my bathrooms which have similar type mirrors. Lo and behold there it was on your blog! Thanks for the all the info and how-to. I can't wait to try it in the bathrooms. I enjoyed "walking" around Mountain Brook. It's so pretty. What a great place. I was just in an older part of town today and all the tulip trees were blooming. It was so beautiful. Sounds like you had a great Valentine's day, lucky you. Also enjoyed your post on the green ceramic dishes. I think I have one of those plates. Someone gave it to me thinking I would like it. It's in the English guest house. Great job on the guest room re-do. It looks fabulous. You're such a talented person. Gotta run. Sorry I just blabbed on. Take care. Got to go get molding and try those mirrors.

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

How fun! I don't know if I could wait two years though! Good luck with your green thumb!

Anonymous said...

good luck with the berries, I can only imagine a nice crumble with them...

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Yum! Blackberries are a wonderful summer treat! We have wild ones growing here on our property which grow really well. We have considered growing our own just to add to the bounty. I hope you have great success with yours.

I loved your tour of Mountain Brook. That is where my dad was raised and my aunt and uncle still live. It is a beautiful area that I love to visit. My grandfather was city manager for many years and has a road in one of Mountain Brook's little villages named for him (Dan Watkins Drive). It's a special place without a doubt.

Have a great weekend,
Jennifer

Bonita said...

I'm pretty bad with plants, but berries are delicious and I hope to plant some one day when we finally get the the house that I really want to live in for a long time.

I hope you end up with lots of luscious fruit on your plants!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh, I wish I had room to grow fruits and veggies. My little postage stamp sized property means I'm relegated to growing herbs in pots. I've always wanted a huge garden since I was a little girl, so I'll live vicariously through blogs like yours! :-)