Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Edie’s Aqua Kitchen

Sometimes a project comes along when I’m out browsing blogland that just captures my heart and Edie’s kitchen has done that. I almost missed it and went by to see what she was up to when I heard about a painting party she was having. I missed the party, but not Edie’s gorgeous kitchen.

I had the privilege of meeting Edie at the Blissdom conference and she is a precious sister in Christ, who has a love for decorating and projects just like I do. Check out her blog Life in Grace, if you want some heart inspiration too.

Before kitchen

Here’s Edie’s kitchen before she got ahold of the paint brush. And if this AFTER pic doesn’t show the power of paint, I don’t know what does!

After

Edie calls it the Retro Cottage Kitchen and I think she is right on. Isn’t it the cutest? I don’t have the nerve to paint my kitchen cabinets aqua, but I sure applaud Edie in her forward thinking and creativity with this space.

Aqua kitchen

You’ll have to click over to Edie’s post on this kitchen to read all about the details (and there are plenty of budget details she shares) and see all the pics, before, after and in process. She took the old doors that she decided not to use on the upper cabinets and added them to the back of her island and painted it all black.

Black island

Love it!

DSC_0078

So cottagey!

Corner lamp

Edie

Go over and say hello to Edie, she’ll love for you to come by for a visit! Edie, it’s great girl, I just had to share your project with everyone over here.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

46 friends stopped by:

Betty Jo said...

What an awesome kitchen! How I wish I could paint my cabinets, but as a renter that's out of the question. I'll just have to continue to add my aqua, pink, and white around the oak. I'll run over now and Oooo and Awwww over Edie's kitchen. ♥

edie said...

Rhoda,
You make me feel like a movie star today! I may have to change out of my yoga pants and tired pony tail and put that cute little retro dress on! And some make up!

I have to say that I am honored to be featured on your blog. You are so generous and beautiful and I feel so privileged to have met you in person. I've been stalking your blog for a long time....so this is such a treat for me.

I have to confess that I sat on my sofa last night looking at these pretty pictures of my kitchen because I didn't want to face the mountain of dishes waiting for me after making shrimp etouffe! This is a well used space and now I really can't stay out of it!!

Thanks again and much love to you and yours,
Miss Edie

Daisy Cottage said...

((((Rhoda))))
Thank you for sharing Edie with us! You are the best! Love her kitchen AND her blog!

xo,
Kim

Kelly Bergsing said...

I really love her use of color. I am planning something similar with my cabinets, white on top and cherry red on the bottom. I also plan on keeping the doors off the uppers, in fact they are already removed. So much inspiration!! Between you and Edie, my kitchen is sure to look great!! :)

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so glad you featured this. I love it. Going over now.

susan said...

Rhoda--I had seen Edie's kitchen before and am amazed by it--especially that she did most of the painting herself! It is better than a magazine kitchen because it looks "real"--imagine that :) Thanks for sharing it.

Pam said...

Very gutsy! I looks wonderful!

Cindy said...

I'm so glad I've found Edie now. Recently, I told my husband I was going to paint some 70's cabinets in one of our bathrooms black. He didn't comment but, had one of those "what?" expressions. I'm going to show this blog to him. Love it and thank you.

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Loved it and I don't even like that color... my mom did the same look and even color in her kitchen. Now, I am off to Edies...

Vanessa Greenway said...

Adorable!! Love the color on the cabinets! So fresh and clean!

Becky K. said...

This is awesome! Who would think that would work so well!

Love it!

It looks like a magazine spread.

The Blushing Hostess said...

Very pretty and she does have a lovely blog. Be well, The Hostess

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

What a great kitchen! I'm so glad you shared this with us.
~Michelle

Deb said...

awesome color thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

HI Rhoda! Oh, what a cute kitchen! Yes, Edie gets lots of kudoes for painting those cabinets aqua! It really is charming. I'll have to go and check out her blog!
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Midwest Nest said...

Pretty pictures. The color and style really made a big change to the kitchen. I like how she left the doors off the top cabinets. Not sure I am brave enough for that - I would have to do a lot of cleaning and throwing away.

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Rhoda!
What a precious gal and fabulous kitchen! I plan on visiting her blog later today. Thanks for sharing great ideas with us. Your blog truly blesses!

Hugs,
Susan

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

That's my kind of gal! Love the color, so fresh and pretty. As much time as we ladies spend in the kitchen we must make it truly for US. Great job, and thanks for sharing this with us Rhoda.

~Misti

Mary Ruth said...

OMG! This blew me away! I didn't expect that much change when I scrolled down! I had to check to make sure it was the same kitchen! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I could cook in there all day! I am going to save this as an inspiration for my next kitchen! WOW! I am going over to her blog to let her know how much I love her inspirational transformation! The mood is so uplifted in this kitchen!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

You know I love that aqua!! Beautiful kitchen! I will go get my coffee and visit, Edie!

Anonymous said...

That's pretty!
:-D)

Mama Freemans' cafe' said...

I love the use of the cabinet doors on the back of the island. Hmmm I,m thinking.Sioux City Iowa has a Habitat for Humanity overstock warehouse open to all and its like a hardware store. There are stacks of cabinet doors and I just couldnt forget them. Now I have a great idea thanks to you! Take care

Maya@Completely Coastal said...

Certainly a bold color choice for a kitchen. Love it though, including the cabinet doors on the island.

Heidi said...

WOW! Absolutely gorgeous!!!! I just want to stare at them all day hoping somehow when i walk in my kitchen that it would look like that!!! I LOVE the aqua cabinets!!!

Tammy518 said...

Oh, wow! I love the aqua, and the open cabinets up top. It doesn't even look like the same kitchen. Thanks for sharing this.

Joanna said...

Beautiful!

Tami said...

It is absolutely gorgeous!!! Headed over to her blog to check it out!

Have a beautiful day Rhoda!
Hugs~T

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a gorgeous kitchen. I don't know that I could paint mine aqua either, but her's is absolutely stunning. I can't wait to go over and see the whole process. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Marty

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Since most of my home has been aqua for many years, as soon as I saw the title of this post, I had to head over. What a wonderful transformation! What was a standard-issue kitchen has been given character, charm and life. Way to go, Edie! The girl has great vision. Thanks so much for sharing, Rhoda!

Fifi Flowers said...

What a FAB colour transformation... AMAZING!!!
Soooo good to see you stop by my site today! BTW... I still have your painting... if you would like to HAVE it... email me!
ENJOY your day!
Fifi

E said...

It's gorgeous! I can't believe how fantastic that Aqua looks!!!!

Puna said...

Hi Rhoda!
I just went to Edie's site and it looks fabulous! Thanks for linking it. What talent!

Jenny said...

That kitchen is beautiful! I love the aqua!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Love it! Way to go, Edie! Got to go over to her blog and see the rest. Thanks for sharing this, Rhoda! :-)

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

I know...wasn't that the most amazing kitchen redo ever? I loved everything about it. That lady has some serious talent and some mad skills!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I love that color of aqua! It reminds me of kitchens from my childhood.

Mindy said...

Oh, my! Wasn't she brave? A drastic change that paid off! Thanks for sharing Edie today! ~Mindy

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Now that's what I call a transformation! Fabulous! laurie

Sandra said...

Wow, she did a great job in the transformation of her cabinets! I love it. I'll have to go take a peek at her blog. :)
Sandra

Aura said...

Gorgeous! It's so bright and cheery now.

cotedetexas said...

I love this!!!! how cute is this???? totally different in feel and such a great color.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Wow! You are right! The power of paint is an amazing thing! I am like you and would not have the nerve to paint it aqua but it is gorgeous! I am going to paint my hutch, white soon, and it took a while to make that decision. Good for her!
~Patti

Roeshel said...

What a gorgeous transformation! I need Edie to come over and makeover ours. She did an awesome job!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love the aqua. It gives such a nice pop of color and makes the room festive and fun! I like her boldness. It paid off here. :-)

XO,

Sheila

The Pifer's said...

Hi sweetie, I LOVE YOUR BLOGS---I found it through a friend and I hope it's ok if I follow you!!!!

Tiffany
www.thepiferfamily.blogspot.com

Cha Cha said...

I love it. It looks so fresh, clean and cozy!