Saturday, May 2, 2009

It’s G Day at my House

Do you know what that means?

Yippee and woo-hoooo, it’s time for granite! I’m beside myself with excitement. Monday is the BIG day for tear-out and the beginning of the installation. I’ve picked my slabs and the granite should be ready for install next Thursday, so it’s gonna be an exciting week at my house. Napoli

This is the Napoli granite I’m getting and I hope and pray I’ve made some good choices. I think I have. Here’s the faucet I decided on, the Moen Annabelle.


Moen annabelle

I liked the ease and simpleness of a 2-hole faucet installation and I like the looks of this one in brushed stainless steel. And this is the pulldown sprayer version. Anyone have a pulldown and do you love it? One of my friends has one and she raved about hers.

So, there you have it! Be thinking about me next week as we rough it for a few days. My hubby is not excited about the disruption to his daily life, so I’ll have to pamper him a little. ;) Say a prayer for me if you think about it, that everything goes smoothly.










I visited the Birmingham Decorators Showhouse on Friday and it was very fun to see. It's going on for another week in case any of you B'ham girls want to check it out. I'd recommend it for an inspiring afternoon. And no, they didn't allow pics, darn it, but I took one of the outside of this mansion in Mountain Brook. !

Me and Sandi from Whistlestop Cafe Cooking and a couple of my readers, Kathi and Virginia, met up at the Birmingham Flea Market this a.m., so I'll let you all know how that went later in the week. I have a few pics to share of that. Let's just say I won't be going back to this one, although we all came away with a little something. Sandi and I found a jewelry guy who had some really neat stones that were strung up ready for necklaces, so she and I bought some of that. I'll show you when they are ready. Glad we checked it out, but it's not a great flea market. I did get up early and hit a big neighborhood sale at Brook Highlands before we even met at the flea market and I scored some good things there, so it was a very fun day.

I’ll be blogging as usual next week. Thrifty party on Monday, so be here with me as I welcome a very special friend of mine to share her thrifting goodies.

If you'd like some more inspiration from around blogland, check out my Tumblr page, lots of great projects going on out there that just might get you fired up for a new one.

And there’s still time to sign up for the Dayspring giveaway below. Don’t miss out, it closes out Sunday evening!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

39 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MY PULL DOWN FAUCET!!!!!!
can't believe i ever lived without it.

susan said...

Your granite choice is great. Be prepared for dust...I don't know why but the installation is dusty! Can't wait to see your pictures and good luck.

Kathi said...

Great fun meeting you today! Sandi and Virginia too! Can't wait to do it again sometime!
I was happy to find the ribbon and trim I've been looking for. On the way home I stopped at a yard sale and got a little wooden
table that I'm going to decopauge.
Scored some goodies at TJMaxx too.
Best part of the day was meeting YOU! Can't wait to see your granite!!

Crystal said...

I just love your granite choice. I have about the same faucet only polished steel and I absolutely love it.
Look forward to see your thrifty finds next week.
Have a great weekend!

Lori E said...

Love my pull out faucet until it leaked all over and destroyed my counter top.
Not because it was a pull out but because it was defective.
One thing I really loved about it was the we could just pull it out and fill the coffee pot. Not fill the carafe then use that to fill the chamber in the back.
Plus cleaning out the sinks is so easy with the sprayer.

Cindy said...

Very much prefer the type of faucet you're getting.

Anonymous said...

I just installed new Venetian gold granite!

akawest said...

Add me to the list of pull out faucet fans. I especially like pulling it way out to fill a pitcher on the counter. Ours is very long. We could have water battles with it.

I am sure the install will go smoothly. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

How exciting!!

Rhoda, I have a Moen tap set similar to yours. They must be along the same line with a slightly different profile. The gal at the plumbing place told me once I stepped up to this type, I'd NEVER go back to any others. She was bang on!

Mine has a feature where you can stop the stream of water to water plants on your counters or for whatever reason. I love love LOVE it!

Scroll down this post just abit to take a peek!

http://ourextremehomemakeoverexperience.blogspot.com/2008/12/cody-is-cooking.html

Donna

Lana said...

Your granite choice is beautiful! I can't wait to see what it looks like all put together! Good luck this week!

Unknown said...

I'm soooo excited for you! You really should come up and go to the Nashville Flea Market sometime -- so many great things! Next time is a huge one, so it should be a great time.

midnight macaroons said...

Yay, I'm thrilled for you regarding your new countertops and faucet. I'm currently working on our house and the little things that will make you do cartwheels when it comes to remodeling; wishing you a happy installation. Can't wait to see photos!!!

Kelly Bergsing said...

Yay!! How exciting!! I hope you enjoy it!! :)

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Your granite looks alot like mine. I chose my slab this past week. It is New Venetian Gold (did you see it on my blog?) Mine is being installed in 2 weeks and I'm living with about 2ft of counter space right now. The rest has been demolished.

Oh and are you still having Garage sale Monday? I have some goodies I got today I wanted to share.

Take Care
Darlene

Can't wait to see your installed granite!

Karyn said...

I am jealous of your granite-I still have the counters that came with my house 23 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I love the faucet, we have the oil rubbed bronze and I would do it all again. . .It has been so handy!
Love your granite choice, oh sigh, lucky you!!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Yippee!!! I do know how excited you are. I just have granite on my island, but I was so excited the day they came to install I could hardly stand it. Your granite color is gorgeous. I can't wait to see the finished project. I do have a pull down sprayer and I just love it. I think you will too. Hugs, Marty

Angie Seaman said...

Rhoda,

First off...love, love, love your blog. I found it today via Kelly's Korner blog. I will definitely be back! Also, we had the exact same granite in our old house (just moved last August) and I loved it. Great choice! It's beautiful! I actually just posted images of our new kitchen today on my blog thanks to Kelly's kitchen tour. I've listed my blog address below for you (top one) if you wish to check it out. I am so happy to have stumbled upon your blog. It's amazing!

Blessings, Angie Seaman
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/ (blog)
www.angelicagracedesigns.com (website for girls couture and womens jewelry)
www.angieseamanphotography.blogspot.com (photography blog)

Mrs. Pittman said...

I'm a big pull-down faucet fan, too.
Ours came with the ability to stream or spray - and I can't imagine not having that spray option. SO NICE for cleaning out the sinks.

Now our countertops are a different story. I do NOT love them. They are white subway tile, nice on the eyes, but hard, hard, hard to clean.

Looking forward to seeing your finished project!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Darn! I sure wish they had let you take pictures. I've never heard of that before. It seems they like you to take snaps..... It sure is lovely outside though, isn't it!

Blessings and hugs,
Spencer

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I'm so excited for you!! Can't wait to see it. My friend has a pull down and she loves it but hers did stop staying up properly. I would just ask about the warranty on it!
~Michelle

Joyce said...

Your granite is similar to the one I put in last year. I was not home when they installed it so hubby was here. He said it took me longer to find the exact granite slabs then for them to install it:) I spent a full month running around the city looking for what I wanted which in the end was nothing like I had in my mind originally:) I just love how my kitchen looks now.
Joyce

Cha Cha said...

There was just an article in the paper yesterday saying that stone counters are going out of style and that dealers have been cutting the prices to get it moving. But that could have more to do with the recession.

Apparently laminate counters are back in, along with old-fashioned linoleum floors.

I think the stone is definitely prettier for now though.

Jenny said...

Good luck with your kitchen this week. The granite and faucet are beautiful!

Omah's Helping Hands said...

I like your choice of granite. I've seen it before, and it looks great! As for the pull down, I plan on getting another soon. While in Germany, we had one there and it was a gem. Your friend raved for a very good reason, & have a feeling you will too! Good luck, and you are in my prayers. All will go well! :)

Ms. Tee said...

Awww, too bad they didn't let you take photos! Congratulations on your new granite and faucet - so pretty :)

dec0r8or said...

I love the granite you picked, Rhoda! It's going to look great in your kitchen. The faucet is pretty awesome too. I bet you can't wait!!

Did you do any thrifting this weekend? I thought of you last week when I was buying some cool stuff (mostly useful) at an estate sale. I had sworn off garage sales for YEARS because I have too much STUFF...but I couldn't resist, and it was well worth it!

Good luck with the granite tomorrow. I'll be back to check progress! :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Cha Cha, I read that very same article, but do think it's probably because of the recession that it's going like that. I do think that the new laminates are very pretty & I wouldn't have minded one of those, but granite would still be my first choice. I think it's worth the splurge & this will be a one & only for me. And they are right about lino getting a better look, they have really improved it over the years too.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

You made the right choice, Rhoda. That granite is going to be perfect so don't worry. It is going to look splendid in your kitchen.

XO,

Sheila

Maureen said...

I can't wait along with you! I know you've studied your options for a while now--hope I was able to help a wee bit. Bet you received a lot of advice from your readers. Did you wind up with the Silgranit sink? I am still in love with ours-the best sink we've ever had, and the granite choice and faucet are similar to what you've chosen too~ no surprise there! Looking forward to seeing photos!

Andi said...

Oh!!! You go girl on that new granite! I am jealous! I am the one that emailed you the other day about the painting laminate question. I am patiently waiting for a sunny day so that I can get to work.
ANNNNDDDD....Guess what?!?! I have created a blog! I am so excited! You will have to come visit me!!! Don't make fun of me, though- I am a newbie at this and really have no clue as to what I am doing. Sheesh, now I have to figure out the correct way to leave this comment....

Rose - Watching Waves said...

So very exciting, Rhoda! That granite is just beautiful. After I find a new job, I want to get my counters redone, too. Just a few more days and we get to see pics of your new counters!

MimiG said...

Rho,
I had the opportunity to work the Symphony Show House last Sunday and will work again next Saturday. The Young Ladies Retreat upstairs and the bar area downstairs were designed by friends. Of course, they're my favorite spots! And, the gardens - oh my!
Can't wait to see your kitchen changes.
MimiG

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see the pictures of your new granite tops.

Have a great week!

Linda in AZ * said...

* Sooooooo happy n' excited WITH you, sweet one!!! I KNOW you won't forget to post as soon as you can ~~~ & we'll be WAITING!!! This is soooo FUN ~~~LOOOOOVVVVEEEE getting NIFTY THINGS that have been DESIRED for a LONNNNG TIME!!!! Hugs, Linda *

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

INtersting what you said abou tthe flea market. I had been years ago and found the things to be either junk or gaudy...or stuff I wouldnt want to buy. I did great at the gargage sale. I hpe you will let me know of anymore you know like that. We need to meet up and do that!
SOrry I missed you and Sandy. I was so afraid I would be rishing you two and would not want to put anyone out. Thanks for including me though! Hugs!
Missed you girls! Cant wait to see what cha found.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Can't wait to see your new kitchen Rhoda! Too bad you couldn't sneak a few pictures inside of the showhouse...grrrr! Have a great week, eat out LOTS.

~Misti

Anonymous said...

Today is G day... hope it's going well and looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Anyone here have the Granite Shield put on your stone?