Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grilled Marinated London Broil

IMG_5279

If you’re not a red meat eater, you might just want to click on outta here. We are definitely meat eaters at our house. I've never been a real expert on cooking beef other than roasts in the crockpot and such, but I decided to venture out and try a recipe I had for London Broil. Now, one thing I’ve learned about cuts like this. You have to marinate them, preferably at least 24 hours or they will be tough. That’s what I did with this one.

Here’s a good recipe I found for a homemade marinade:

Grilled Marinated London Broil

IMG_5280

We grilled it about 12-15 minutes on each side. My hubby usually grills, but I have to watch him, he’ll grill things til they are like shoe leather and I like mine pink in the middle. Not bloody, just pink, medium-well. So, I kept an eye on it this time and it turned out just right. Pink and perfecto!And he liked it too.

IMG_5281

It was very delicious with the marinade and marinating it overnight makes the meat tender. We ate on this for 3 meals and it was great, all for under $7. I fixed it with side dishes the first night, then sandwiches for the Jazz Fest, and then with what was left, I made beef fajitas. Publix had them on sale recently, so I picked up another one to do the same way.

Grilled Marinated London Broil

For marinade:

4 cloves of garlic, minced

4 TBL balsamic vinegar

4 TBL lemon juice

3 TBL Dijon mustard

1 1/2 TBL Worchestershire sauce

1 TBL soy sauce

1 TSP dried oregano

1 TSP dried basil

1 TSP dried thyme

1/2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes

2/3 cup olive oil

1 London Broil (2 to 2 1/2 lbs.)

Directions:

In a bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients until combined well. Put London broil in a large resealable plastic bag & pour marinade over it. Seal bag, pressing out excess air and set in a shallow dish. Marinate meat, chilled, turning bag once or twice at least 8 hours. Preferably 24 hours.

Remove meat from marinade, discard the marinade.

Preheat grill and set meat on grill, turning each once, 9 to 10 minutes on each side, or until it registers 125 to 130 degrees on a meat thermometer for medium-rare meat. Alternatively, meat may be broiled. We cooked ours longer for medium-welldone.

Transfer meat to cutting board and let stand 10 minutes. Cut meat diagonally across the grain into thin slices.

I'm joining Jen for her Tasty Tuesday today, so head on over for lots of other recipes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 friends stopped by:

The Stylish House said...

Rhoda,
This looks like a delicious and easy recipe. I am heading off to the grocery store and will definitely be giving this one a go!
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Okay I'll be honest here and tell you right off, I've never done a London Broil. I may have to try this. We like meat, but are really trying to limit red meat (boohoo!) in order to be more healthy.

Sounds like a good marinade, and yay for something that stretches for 3 meals!

tina
tinam61@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I love London Broil and will have to write down your marinade. Thanks for hosting your party.... I love it. Your an inspiration.

Cynthia

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh my friend - we are total carnivores here, but I never do London Broil well. I will definitely have to try this because it looks unbelievable! YUM! Thanks for joining in. :)

Jessica Morris said...

I have never had a London Broil before, but it does sound tasty!!

Carry Grace said...

Yum, I'll have to remember to pick one up. I love things that I can get 2 or 3 meals out of.

Adrienne said...

that is my kind of meal! this weekend, i was tagged to list 6unimportant things that i love... since you are a favorite blog of mine, i'm tagging you. it was a fun easy list to make (my link is below if you want to see it). you are suppose to tag 6 other bloggers as well. lots of love, adrienne

http://adrienne-lol.blogspot.com/2009/06/6-things.html

Kimberly said...

I'm going to try this. I've never done london broil and don't do much meat except for steak and burgers. Looks good!

Chiki Cottage said...

This is to die for. Im from Texas so this meat looks like something right out of my dreams. Wow, it looks perfect. I like my meat pink also. If Im ever in your part of the woods, Ill have to stop by and grab a bite of this. Thanks for sharing:)

Tricia said...

It looks yummy! We are definetly red meat eaters. Everything in moderation, right? It sounds like a fantastic weekend bbq meal. Thanks for sharing.
*tricia

Ann said...

That looks so sumptuous, thanks for the recipe. And yes, our family are also meat eaters.

Becky K. said...

Rhoda,.
Perfect timing as I just purchased a london broil over the weekend. It was on sale. Thanks for the marinade recipe.

Joanna said...

This looks so yummy! We are def meat eaters. *smiles*

Debra from Bungalow said...

Gosh that looks good! I'm a meat eater and that looks like perfection to me! I'm definitely gonna try it.

Laryssa Herbert said...

Frugal and tasty, that's my kind of cooking! Looks great!

Still Learning said...

I love London Broil, yummy. I know all about that Publix sale, ha ha. I am going to write down your recipe because it looks delish. A funny story about that sale....

My husband has recently began sharing his testimony with an employee of his. Being in construction times are lean for us at this moment and there is not much money being paid right now. This fellow has shared that his family has been barely eating and eating eggs and very cheap things. My husband keeps sharing with him to trust in the Lord. He will provide. That week the gentleman kept saying over and over he wanted meat so bad. He really wanted London Broil. My husband told him the Lord will provide. He laughs at my hubby. The very next day he calls up my hubby to ask if he had been praying for him. Hubby says yes, why. He said he just walked into Publix and they had London Broil on sale so cheap that he could afford to eat meat for the first time in weeks!! We laughed about that for a good while.

Have a great day,

Jennifer

Rebekah said...

Thanks for making me drool on my laptop.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Rhoda, that looks delish, and I know for sure my husband would die of happiness if I made that!!! Great recipe, and thanks also for the photos. :)

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Thanks for the marinade recipe, Rhoda. We'll give it a try. Perhaps, I'll pick up a London Broil this week.

Yours looks delicious!

grannyann said...

That makes my mouth water. My daughter and her husband love to grill and I am passing the picture and the recipe to her then she can invite me for supper.

Lori E said...

I cook them often but we call them flank steaks. Make sure you slice across the grain not with the grain or you will have string.
Slice them while still partially frozen super thin then marinade them and make a beef satay on a stick or a stir fry.

A New England Girl said...

Oh, my Lord! this looks absolutely delicious. I'm SO glad I stumbled upon your blog today, as I am definitely going to be copying this recipe down! Thanks for sharing it. :)

Alicia

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Sounds & looks yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh do we love red meat....and that looks fantastic. I have never bought a London Broil.

I wonder if I would get a similar result without the mustard ??

Well I am going to give it a try...I just made out my grocery list....think I'll add a London Broil...thanks Rhoda I can always use a new meat recipe :)

Kathy :)

SEO Philippines said...

This is really Good :-)

Unknown said...

Looks so yummy!!!!

Mary said...

I enjoy london broil and this looks delicious...you cooked it just the way I love it..medium-rare..perfect!

Jennifer said...

We love to grill a good cut of London Broil! This marinade looks just wonderful. We'll have to give it a try when we fire up the grill again.

Hope that you are having a lovely week,
Jennifer

José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Hi,

It looks good, just don't eat the black part (the burned one).
My preferred parts are the loin and the sirloin (I guess this is the name, here in Portugal we say vazia). Loin in portuguese is lombo.

Best regards,

José

Unknown said...

It's been awhile since we've had London Broil.
i think I'll add it to a future menu plan.

Caren said...

Wow! I'm surprised with the amount of people who've never had London Broil. We grew up having it and it's one of the cuts of beef I cook frequently. This recipe sounds delish and I might just give it a try for the old grill this weekend! Thanks!

Lisa said...

Great marinade recipe! The hubster got a new grill so I'm in the market for marinade recipes :O)

Bridget said...

Hi Rhoda,
This looks awesome. I've never had london broil either..will definitely try it. The marinade looks similar to one we use for ribs. Just marinate the ribs for a few hours, wrap in aluminum foil, grill on medium heat for about an hour...meat falls off the bone! You can add bar-b que sauce if you'd like; we like them either way! Happy Summer.