Sunday, June 14, 2009

More Thrifty Finds

Let's get started early today! We are having our small group from church over for a cookout this evening and just had 2 days of the worst thunderstorms we've had ALL year! Where oh where is the sunshine?! Oh well, we are gonna cook those hamburgers regardless, inside or out.

We had severe thunderstorms on Friday night and woke up to more rain on Saturday morning (which we were needing, thank the Lord!), so we didn’t try to go to the berry festival. I hate it for them though, as I’m sure the rain kept a lot of people away for their big event. We sure enjoyed it last year. So, I did manage to go to 2 big sales that were in my vicinity, between the rain.

IMG_5590

Adding more to my white dish collection, I found 4 of these beautiful scrolly-edged dinner plates and 2 salad plates for $4. I just love how these look. They have a little brown/beige pattern interspersed with the white and I thought they were just adorable, very vintagey. They aren’t marked on the back at all, so I have no idea who made them, but they look pretty old.

IMG_5591

I really love old bottles and bottles that have pretty and interesting shapes. These were $1 for both of them. I’m sure the one on the right is pretty old, not sure about the other one.

IMG_5592

And this is the first time I’ve scored on vintage Christmas ornaments. These silvered ones were $1 for all. They will work perfectly with all my other silver and mercury glass collection next Christmas. Ha! I can see my reflection in one of them.

IMG_5072

I visited an antique mall in Gardendale recently (suburb of Birmingham and I’ll share that outing later) and found a couple more white ironstone pieces for my growing white dish collection. These are the size of a sugar and creamer, did not come together, but look like they totally could have been a matched set. They were $1 each, very affordable and I just love the shape of them.

IMG_5073

This one has some cute little feet and I think I’ll put a little plant in it and maybe do a grouping of plants in white planters.

IMG_5074

And this little creamer was too cute to pass up either. I love the simplicity of these old pieces and I can even see the paint drip marks on this old piece of pottery.

IMG_5068

And from a yardsale near my neighborhood a couple weeks ago, I scored this little black floral beauty of a tole platter for $10. I have a small collection of these black ones and this makes the 3rd that I’ve found at a yardsale. Soft and delicate pink flowers.

IMG_5391

I put it at the top of the stairs.

IMG_5589

By the antique mirror.

Did ya’ll get out this weekend? Hope the weather was better for you and you found some treasures.

As usual, please follow the Mr. Linky rules and add a link back to this post from your blog post. Add your party post url and NOT just your blog url, please!

And if you really want to be inspired with outdoor entertaining yardsale finds, go over and visit my friends, Sandy and Meredith to see what all they have found for their outdoor entertaining on a shoestring.



Todays Thrifty Treasures Participants
1. Sara
2. MN Patti
3. MN Patti
4. Joan@anythinggoeshere
5. Queen of Fifty Cents
6. Deana
7. Carol @ Old Glory Cottage
8. The Shabby Chic Cottage
9. Dab of This and That
10. Tana@Crafting R&R
11. Olive Rue
12. Manuela@The Pleasures of Homemaking
13. Mary Lou
14. Bamawhitney
15. Karla @ It's The Little Things...
16. Melanie @ The Old White Cottage
17. ellen b
18. Tina ~ Adventures in Decorating
19. The Bloom Girls - Window Box and Mirror
20. cher
21. Ashley @ AshleysBusy
22. Nissa @ Sweet Paisley
23. Jadehollow
24. Toni
25. A Beach Cottage - The Vintage Dresser
26. Stephanie @ A Fine House
27. Tami
28. bj
29. Melissa @ Huckleberry Prairie
30. Terry @ Cherished Treasures
31. Lisa
32. Rhonda in OK
33. MelanieElissa
34. Chrissie Grace
35. Rhonda~Scooterblu's Whimsy
36. Grannyann-Only a few items
37. Linda @Nina's Nest
38. Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss
39. Rhonda
40. Beca @ Ruby Lane
41. Susie Q
42. Mary
43. Jessica - Need Ideas for Hanging Mirror!
44. Bonafide Southern
45. Frippery
46. Sara @ Be Still and Know
47. Susan@thecozychickadee
48. Kim @ Finding Deals In The Ville (pottery)
49. Lori @ Msslaydbug
50. Caroline@Forever Vintage
51. Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas
52. Kammy-Small Home in the Country
53. Michelle @ Dei Gratia
54. chris @ free range furnishings
55. Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick
56. Barbara Jean
57. mary @Boogieboard Cottage
58. The Cottage Child
59. Katrina~
60. Jenn@First Comes Love
61. Amanda@ Imperfectly Beautiful
62. Christy @ Embellished Bayou
63. KARA @ MADE 2 CREATE
64. Tina @ Enchanted Rose Studio
65. Lorna~Lace and Ivy Cottage~
66. Sharon at Chickens in the Mist
67. Suzanne in TX
68. Amanda @ Serenity Now (Yard Saling with the Girls!)
69. Laura @ White Spray Paint
70. Helen Joy-Barclay and Me
71. Michelle
72. melissa * 320 Sycamore
73. Kelli@JOY
74. Roeshel - Evangeline's Vine
75. Kimm at Reinvented
76. Cindy
77. Sharon at Serendipity
78. Junk Mammas
79. julie k
80. Mrs. K.
81. Jen~Lipstick and Laundry
82. Reluctant Entertaier
83. Christie
84. SullivanandMurphy
85. Dawn @ Life at Eventually Cottage
86. Vanessa
87. Robin
88. Caro's Thrifty Treasures
89. French Cupboard
90. Phillips Phamily Mama
91. Bless Our Nest
92. Carrie - Oak Rise Cottage
93. Steph
94. Patricia@In My Free Time
95. Kristen@More Than the Mulberries
96. Courtney
97. Sarah @ House to Home with Sarah
98. Cathy @ Then There Were Eight
99. Beautiful Wreck
100. Debbie @ Simply Cherished
101. Cheryl B.
102. Eleanor Joyce
103. Angela at Frugal Living Makeover - Yard Sale/Kitchen Makeover
104. As The Blog Turns
105. printersdevil~Felecia
106. The Pottery Shed
107. Annabella
108. Deb @ Wise Old Owl
109. Charlene @ A Virtuous Woman

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

91 friends stopped by:

Sara F. said...

I love these thrifty finds links! I get so much inspiration for what to look for next weekend!

Patti said...

I'm with Sara! I look forward to seeing everyone's finds! As you can see by my TWO posts, I found A LOT this weekend!

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

I am linked and it worked this time. I might be catching on finally. I loved your thrifty finds. As before, thank you so much for hosting this fun party.

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Ohhhh, those plates! Fabbo!

Deana said...

That hand painted tray looks so fabulous hanging above that vignette!!! Great finds!

★Carol★ said...

I hear ya about the weather--we just got back from Wisconsin, and it was chilly and rainy almost all week! Still had fun though, and found some goodies too! You found some great stuff, especially that tray. I've never found one at a garage sale!

trish said...

Very nice!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Good deals. The plates are pretty - different looking.
I am in. :-)
Glenda

the pleasures of homemaking said...

Hi Rhoda,

We were expecting those storms and they never showed up! Even today when my husband had a call from his Birmingham store saying there was severe weather. We thought we'd get it in a few house but not even a drop of rain! It all went south of us!

I love those white plates! They look sort of beachy. The tole tray is fabulous!

Manuela

marmielu said...

Wow! So many pretty things. I am keeping my eyes open for a tole platter, as about 10 years ago I got rid of one, and have regretted it since.

Darlene said...

You definitely have the BEST yard sales in your area! You always find fabulous things!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I don't know how you do it, Rhoda! :) I have some finds from the weekend (mostly for my sis-in-law and her new house), but I haven't put my post up yet. Will do it after girls go to bed tonight. ;) Looks like you already have a good list started. :)

Karla said...

All of those ornaments for $1? Great find!! And, of course, LOVE the ironstone! So pretty!

Thanks for hosting!

~Karla @ It's The Little Things...

ellen b said...

Hello Rhoda,
I'm joining in for the first time this week. I love your treasures. Those scrolly dishes are so great and I like the bottles and all your goodies that you found. I hope your cookout goes well and hope your weather calms down...
Blessings...

CHER said...

wow_ I found a ton of old bottles this weekend too. Come check them out!!--Thanks for hosting! How fun!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love all of your treasures. The dishes are gorgeous. Such an unusual pattern with the beige insets. I love old bottles too, and your white creamer and sugar are both lovely. Your tole tray is gorgeous on the wall by the mirror. Just perfect. Hugs, Marty

The Tattered Cottage said...

Rhoda, you find the BEST treasures :) Lovin the plates and how beachy they look. The tole platter looks beautiful hanging next to your mirror. I picked up some vintage Christmas items also.
Toni

Sandra said...

Hi Rhoda! I love all of your finds. I look forward to seeing what everyone found in their shopping! We had the worst thunderstorm yesterday with alot of hail that caused extensive damage to our vehicles. Thank goodness for insurance!
Have a wonderful day!
Sandra

Jenny said...

Great finds! Those plates are really neat!

I found a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe for only $5 at a garage sale this weekend. It looks new too!

Anonymous said...

YEP! I knew it. I knew you would find more treasures. Love those ornaments and the glass bottle. Hopefully the rain will let up. If not get out your high-water britches, lol. Glad you got to go to the festival.

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Wonderful finds!
~Michelle

Unknown said...

Love the rose plaque, and it looks great where you hung it!

Kathi said...

Hi! I'm here looking at all of your pretties and wishing I wasn't on a thrifting diet! It's fun to see what everyone else is finding too. Thanks for hosting Thrifty Treasures! I'm sure I won't be able to stay away for long! If you ever decide to open up a booth somewhere, let me know! :)

Lisa said...

I hope I played with Mr. Linky right! If not, it's my first time, sorry. I love garage sales and thrift stores!!!

CarolAnne - camdesign said...

Vintage Silver Xmas decorations...for a dollar...wow, lucky you, that is fantastic!!!

Afew weekends ago I scored the "Ralph Lauren" animal print bedding I had been searching for for 4 years...at a Garage Sale for 20.00..a full sheet set and comforter, even my husband had a smile on his face as we walked back to the car with our score...

We always make Garage Saleing fun,
always make a coffee and cake date out of the day...

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda
I love the bottles.
I just went to Homegoods for the first time...it's my new favortie store!:)
xo,
Chrissie Grace

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

We have had the rain! I hope the sunshine came before your cookout.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Great Finds, Rhoda! My favorite is the tole tray! I collect those, also. Your old mirror and the entire collection of treasures around is GORGEOUS! :) ~hugs, Rhonda

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

This does it...you have to take me shopping!!

grannyann said...

We had rain also so the sales weren't too good. I'd love a weekend like last weekend every weekend!

akawest said...

Your yard sale finds post is something that I always look forward to. Those plates are absolutely stunning. The brown/beige addition makes them so special.
Although I haven't yet gone to any yard sales since we have moved two weeks ago, I did drive by two thrift stores today, so at least I know where they are.

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

I've been lurking for a loooong time but now I'm a "newbie" blogger so this will be my first Thrifty Treasures post. Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

You always find the BEST stuff! It's like you have a "sixth sense" where the good stuff can be found. I especially like the black tray with pink roses.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, I'm telliing you, you just find the BEST deals...Wow! Linda

Cindy@fairytales cottage said...

I love all the thrifty deals out there. I have a new way of looking at things especially items I can paint! I feel so powerful with a can of spray paint!

Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda,
I LOVE yard sales and thought I would join in for the first time!

I adore your dinner plates...those are awesome!! Great finds! Thanks for hosting!

Melissa Marie said...

Love the plates!! You always find such neat treasures! :) Hope your cookout went well despite the rain! :)

Melissa

Mary said...

Rhoda, Those plates are very pretty, I can see them being used on a Tablescape Thursday!
Love old bottles with a single flower bloom in them grouped. And the whites can be used so many ways!
I'm sick of rain too! It's been real cool and rainy in NY...still waiting for hot weather! Your not alone.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, girls! Wow, lots of you already out tonight, that's great. I can't wait to visit you all again to see what you found.

The cookout was great in spite of our inclement weather. The rain stopped & the sun actually came out late afternoon, so it was a lot of fun. We ate ourselves silly and of course talked a lot! :)

Jadehollow said...

Oh my I love the first set of dishes..my first thought was a coastal tablescape with starfish. Beautiful!
Thanks for hosting .. I love seeing everyone's treasures.

Heathahlee said...

We had those storms before y'all did, and our power was out for 23 hours! Did yours go out at all? Lots of trees down in our neighborhood, and a tornado ripped through part of our county just after that part of the storm came through my subdivision! Not fun!

On a happier note, I love those silver ornaments, and the first thing I saw was your reflection! : )

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you I love your reflection in the ornaments. Too cute.

Pam @ Frippery said...

Love your top of the stairs vignette. I am a sucker for old china with houses and flowers but you are making me want plain white. A girl can't have too many dishes right?

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

You always find the cutest things, Rhoda. I know you'll do something cute with everything you bought. Can't wait to see!

Kammy said...

Hi Rhoda !
Love your finds ! You have addicted me girl ! I went to tons of garage sales this weekend and every thrift store in town !
I might just have to move to a bigger house, lol !
Hugs ~ Kammy

sara@augustfields said...

Rhoda....love the glass bottles! i've been having a lot of fun collecting them too :) thanks for hosting these fun parties :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Rhoda: You found GREAT stuff of course! I love those plates, the tray and the white creamware! I can't wait to see how incorporate it into your decor!

I hope you have a wonderful week!

Lou Cinda

The Bloom Girls said...

Hi Rhoda,
I'm so glad to hear the rain let up long enough to enjoy your cook-out. I hope the weather you've been having will head north and stopover Nashville long enough to give the landscaping a much needed drink.
Your dishes found over the weekend are beautiul.
Have a super week and thanks so much for hostessing Todays Thrifty Treasures.
Nola

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

As usual you found some great things. I like where you put the platter. It looks nice. And I love that antique mirror.

I *did* go out for a few minutes on Saturday but I just don't have the energy to post the two glass bottles I found.

Barbara Jean said...

Love cream anything!!
Your dish shape is wonderful.

Think I'll go dig up some of my finds and join you all.

blessings,
Barbara Jean

niartist said...

Rhoda! You always find the best stuff - and thank you SOOOOO much for that plate! A little something is in the mail to you tomorrow! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! Oh, I love your finds! The tray is just wonderful and those darling dishes. You're good at this and I hope you had clear skies for your cookout!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Barbara Jean said...

OK I'm up and running.
Thanks for hosting,
Blessings,
Barbara Jean

Embellished Bayou said...

You got some great finds, I love the detail on those plates. Can't wait to check out other's treasures!

KARA @ MADE 2 CREATE said...

LOVE THE PLATES! WISH I COULD GET MY HANDS ON SOME OF THOSE!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

You always find the best treasures!
I especially love the white dishes as I am a white dish collector too. Have a great week. Love & blessings from NC!

Unknown said...

Rhoda, such fabulous finds, and in the stormy weather! You are good! I love the toleware, so pretty! I have only one...I want more! they are so pretty!

Thank you so much for hosting!

Have a fabulous week!

Tina

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Rhoda!

GREAT finds, but I'm especially taken with the tole tray....I have quite a few black ones, but I love the pink flowers......and oval?? The BEST shape...IMHO! :-)

Have a great week.

Blessings,
Spencer

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda, I checked my emails first thing this morning, and for some reason, all of your comments are going to my email....scooterblu@yahoo.com. They are appearing here also. Really strange, huh? I'll be on a break for the rest of the week. I don't know how to "fix" this or if it will just stop. We'll see! :) ~hugs, Rhonda

Picket said...

Morning girl..how are you?! I loved back reading alittle and catching up with you...

What a great idea on the thrifty finds Monday! Loved all your treasures...I have been looking at some of those tole trays on Ebay..lordy some are so expensive! lol Yours is beautiful and that little creamy ironstone looking bowl with the little feet ...ohhhh girl that is just the sweetest thing...would make a fantastic salt cellar or like you say a beautiful little pot for a plant..ivy or something soft and trailing...you always find the neatest things!

Thanks so much for coming by girl...I always love hearing from you and yes I have been on a painting frenzy lately as you say! lol But the cabinets are my greatest transformation and I am loving them with the two colors in there...and knowing how I love black...if in the future I ever want a change I know they will be great all black also...but lately girl I tell you I am loving alot more creamy whites in my house...but you didn't hear that from me! lol lol Have a great week my friend and keep on doing what you're doing...it's working! ~♥~

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Phew! I finally got my post up. So many links to see already! :)

I meant to say last night that my favorite of your finds this week are those fabulous plates!!!

Helen Joy said...

Your glass jars are so great! My favorite is definitely the white platter and plates with the brown They are gorgeous!
Thanks again for bringing such joy to my life!

Melissa said...

Hi Rhoda! We have been having wicked thunderstorms in Texas as well~good luck with your get together tonight. I especially love the vintage Christmas balls~

Kelli said...

You found some great things!! Thanks for letting us participate in the fun party!!

Tammy said...

Hi Rhoda! I'm participating for the first time - thanks so much!

I LOVE the pottery, old bottles and vintage ornaments that you found! Gorgeous! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda, I'm so excited to have finally linked up to your party! I absolutely love your finds. Those vintage ornaments are fabulous. I've been looking for white dishes to add to my collection too, especially serving pieces.

Mrs. K. said...

I just went garage sale-ing for the first time this weekend. I didn't find anything spectacular, but reading everyone's posts about their amazing finds has energized me to keep looking.

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Love the stoneware, and Mercury glass!

Christie said...

Great finds! I especially like the plates (quite unique) and the jars!

Sue said...

I am still looking for a little tole tray- and I want it at the bargain price that YOU paid! You have some good finds posted today. You can never have enough little white dishes, can you? :-) Sue

Beverly said...

I'm drooling over that tole tray. It is a beauty.

dec0r8or said...

Rhoda, that creamware is to DIE for! I love both pieces. Those plates are very interesting, too...I like that brown bumpy stripe on them--very different, and they'll look great with your stuff! I've added my link--you inspire me to find bargains! :)

midnight macaroons said...

Oh, Rhoda! I just love your vintage ornaments. I also think you got a great steal for that black floral tray. You've got all sorts of great finds.

My friend and I hit some garage sales on Saturday morning. Most were a bust (disappointing) but I did find a few things. And I spruced up my porch for the festive 4th of July soon approaching. Stop by when you get a chance and tell me what you think. I value your decorative eye.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Looks like you have some pretty nice finds there. I like to look for blue glass. I really like the Christmas ornaments you found; I have some like that in pink. Too cute.

Melissa Miller said...

~Amazing finds Rhoda!
Love the gorgeous plates. :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Wow, you girls really came out to the party today! It's going to take me days to visit you all, but I'll try. :) I really appreciate all of you who participate, makes it so fun for everyone.

Kristen said...

Finally joining in today! You found some great things! Love the vintage ornaments!

Unknown said...

Those white dishes and vintage ornaments speak to me! We are going to be on a Christmas house tour and I am looking for ideas. Those ornaments would be lovely in a glass bowl. Thanks for sharing.

Charla

Natalie said...

Wow! You found some great items. I love the tole platter. It is perfect!

Caro said...

Great finds Rhoda! I love those glass bottles, *drool*!

Anonymous said...

You found some great white dishes and pieces. Lucky you!
After seeing the photo with the antique mirror I must say you have some beautiful pieces in your home. But it is a shame you do not allow them to "shine" in their own light, with out the feeling of needing to add something to/above/around/ them. I feel it really does distract from the beauty of your great pieces.

Happy hunting next week.

Sharon

Courtney said...

Those are beautiful white plates-thanks for letting us share again!
Courtney

Joanna said...

I always love seeing what you run across. I just love those first set of plates that you found!

martina said...

I have an ironstone pitcher similar in size to your creamer. It has peapods as the pattern, one chip at the base and a $3.00 thrift shop find. Still for some reason, it is something I never will part with. I love seeing what treasures you pick up at yard sales!

Kimberly Wright said...

I actually had a great find this weekend! My first in a very very long time. This blog inspired me too!

Cheryl B. said...

Well Rhoda, this was my first attempt at using Mr. Linky to actually hook up to one particular posting . . . hopefully it worked ?
Cheryl B.

Carrie said...

I liked all the items you shared -- especially the white dishes.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Rhoda...you're platter looks great next to that gorgeous mirror! I see a beautiful window reflected in the mirror, too. :-)

A. M. Newsom said...

Great finds on such a dreary weekend!

That platter is from someone who has done One Stroke Painting from Dona Dewberry - I have dabbled in that and it is so much fun!

Check out my Dollar Store Deals - You WON"T BELIEVE it:)

Debbie said...

I love, love those plates. I do need to come to Birmingham to yard sale. Debbie

Anonymous said...

I love your Thrifty Monday posts! My yard sale finds are mostly toys and kids clothes, but I'm starting to branch out into more craftier items ... all thanks to your blog!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Amazing finds, as always!! I love the little bottles and the dishes were a BARGAIN! Who am I kidding...everything was a bargain.

I hear you on the weather. Today was the first day it didn't rain in I can't even tell you how long. My head actually hurt from having to adjust my eyes to the sun!

Here's to another thrifty weekend...I have a feeling you'll score at some fabulous yard sale (or two. :-)