Thursday, July 16, 2009

My First Chalkboard

IMG_5741

Remember the old mirror I found at the rummage sale over the 4th weekend, for $3? I knew I’d paint it and do something fun with it, so I figured this was finally my chance to do a chalkboard, like I’ve seen ALL over blogland. I think I’m the last one to do this one. I was waiting for the right piece. :)

IMG_5742

And this chunky wood shelf with the ugly faux grain laminate was a steal at $2, and I’m so glad I snapped it up. After a coat of black paint, it looks totally different and really a shoe-in for a Ballard’s look-alike shelf. Are you ready to see them finished?

IMG_5776

I did a few coats of spray chalkboard paint on this one, then taped off the inside and sprayed the outside with the trusty Heirloom White that is all over blogland too. Great color, by the way! I have a quart of the stuff that I've had for a couple years, but the spray paint really comes in handy for fast projects. And to answer your questions, YES, I did paint right over the mirror with the chalkboard paint. It seems to be holding up fine, so even if you're not supposed to do that, you know I don't follow rules. I did about 3 coats, letting them dry in between. I'm sure it might scratch off if I tried, but it is fine for writing. Tape and newspaper come in handy for masking off areas you don't want to paint.

IMG_5777

Used some Kilz on that nasty shelf to make sure the black satin spray paint would stick. Sorry, I missed the other spray steps, but you get the picture. See what I do for you girls?

IMG_5851

Here’s the mirror with her fresh coat of white paint. Ahhh, so much better and such a great fit for my kitchen now. Maybe I will now have a place to display a weekly menu for my hubby who has been strongly hinting that I should do some meal planning around our house. Ha! Whatever for?? I actually did write the weekly menu (Monday - Friday) on here this week and he loved it. My man likes to eat and when he's not eating, he likes to read about what we are having for dinner. :)

IMG_5853

And the black shelf. I debated on which color I wanted on these and finally came to the conclusion that I needed to mix it up with black and white. How you ask?

IMG_5852

Well, here’s my thinking process. I looked over this area and decided that all white would be too much white in one area by my antique cupboard here in the breakfast part of our kitchen.

IMG_5847

So, a mix would be better. Black on the shelf and with the chalkboard being black, the best balance in my eye was to do the frame in white and I’m really happy with the way it all looks together. Sort of picks up that black and white zebra runner too.

IMG_5848

Now some would think this is all way too much stuff, but you know how I feel about that. I’ll say it again. I’m not a minimalist and I love to layer things. Added more of my green dishes to the black shelf to balance out that side and with the chalkboard underneath, it works for me. I love the trend towards a simple tablescape too, but I also enjoy hanging stuff on the walls. It just makes me happy!

IMG_5860

Those are Splenda packets on the bunny dish within grabbing distance for my morning cappuccino.

IMG_5849

There’s an old phone jack under the chalkboard that we’re not using, so this was also a good way to cover it up.

IMG_5850

I know how we all love a good Before and After project, so there you have it. From shabby to chic! This wall makes me smile.

Kimba's DIY party is also going on, so stop by there for lots more DIY ideas!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

107 friends stopped by:

june@craftyniche said...

That turned out so cute! I need to get some chalkboard spray paint and make a cute chalkboard too!

Sue said...

Fabulous! Love it and your display is terrific. I will NEVER be a minimalist. I tried when we moved here but it just did not feel like home so back to pulling all my stuff out of boxes!

Cal said...

That's so lovely. I wouldn't have thought of painting on a mirror. And ugly shelf to beautiful is amazing. Thanks for sharing the process and your thoughts on colour balance etc. It all looks so good together and certainly not 'way too much stuff'.

Cal x

Beneath the Eaves said...

I love the display. I love all of it and I feel the amount gives a more settled and cozy feel. It has a balance, so it isn't too much.
Great job with the transformation of your finds.
Debra

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Don't worry, you're not the last to try chalkboard paint. That would be me!

The Lazy Peacock said...

Stunning! I love the shelf and chalkboard, amazing job.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Rhoda ~ First off, I see that you are a bunny fiend like myself. I think I have that same bunny dish holding your Splenda.

I love how you transformed the mirror and shelf. Just love the shelf in black and its size and chunkiness are a great addition to your wall. I did not know the chalkboard paint came in a spray. Good to know as I had an idea in mind for chalkboard too.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I think it looks fantastic! Great idea to make a chalk board out of it!
~Patti

Lisa said...

Love this idea! I never thought you could paint over glass or a mirror. I did something similar and turned an old picture that I didn't care for but I loved the frame into a blackboard. I taped it off like you did and it hangs in the kitchen with Today's Menu
Take It
or
Leave It!

Kim said...

I've recently become a "friend" of paint. However, I still haven't tried the chalk board paint.

Dawn said...

Great transformations, Rhoda. I love the whole area. I can't live with a minimalist look either! It's great how you mixed in the black and white from the zebra runner, painting and your new pieces. It gives the more traditional and whimsical items an edge!
Dawn

Nancy Rosalina said...

OOOH I likey!!! Good Job!

Stacey said...

Looks great Rhoda!

southerninspiration said...

Wow, looks fabulous!!!

suzanne

Reid said...

Love it!!! I one of those 'hate to put holes in my walls' kind of girl, but I'm being inspired!

Michelle said...

Great job, awesome transformation...love everything!

Have a lovely day :)
~Michelle

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Only you would find the most amazing item from which to make a chalkboard! I need to find a good yard sale!
~Nancy

Suburban Girl said...

And I was just about to sell a mirror I have at a yard sale! Now I can turn it into a chalkboard...Does the chalkboard spray paint stick to the mirror? Can you write on it?

B'ham Nancy said...

I thought I was the last one to
make a chalkboard. I've painted
the frame just this week. But
I didn't know there was spray
chalkboard paint, may have to
take mine back and get the spray
kind. Thanks for info, always.

Pam said...

They both look great. And no, you are not the last person to do the chalkboard.....I have done it either. The mirror made a perfect one! Great job,.
Pam

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

So pretty, Rhoda! Thanks for the tip on the Kilz...I've painted over fake wood before, and used about 40 coats of primer and it still wasn't the best job. Next time, I'll try Kilz. :)

We have a chalkboard over a phone jack in our kitchen, but it's not nearly as pretty as yours. :)

Magic Brush said...

I love, love, love it! I'm not a minimalist either. The more and the bigger the better. Layer away! I give it 2 thumbs up!!!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I found the spray chalkboard paint at Hobby Lobby & used a 40% off coupon & only used about 1/2 the can for this project. And yes, it sticks to the mirror just fine (do about 3 or 4 thin coats) and yes, I can write on it.

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

Great job. They look great together. Wonderful redo.

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

It turned out wonderfully! I love the placement of everything you have on that wall. I too have a little Splenda dish on my counter, comes in VERY handy. So, I’ve heard that chalk board paint chips when sprayed on mirrors. Have you heard this? I’ve never tried it so I’m not sure if there is any truth to it. Let me know how yours is holding up. I’ve seen a few mirrors at G.W. that I would have loved to turn into chalk boards but I was scared they would chip. The blog that I read it on said that you have to replace the mirror with Plexi-glass, an extra step I don’t want to do so let me know if it’s working for ya.

Kendr@ Domestic Princes in Training

Justabeachkat said...

Great job Rhoda. You're not the last one to do a chalkboard 'cause I haven't tried it...yet.

Hugs!
Kat

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

These transformations turned out so cute! I smiled when I read about your husband's love of eating/reading about eating!

Unknown said...

I am sooooooooooooo glad to see that you, like me are NOT a minimalist! I LOVE *eye candy*. But also, like you, I always struggle with the color of what to paint my re-do projects..I think that's always the hardest decision of all, cause once its done...I am always happy!

Love how your projects came out!

Blessings...Lorena

Karol said...

Do you think the spray chalkboard paint works as well as the liquid? I have a huge mirror that I plan to make into a chalkboard for my 15 year old daughter's room and I bought the can. But spray would sure be quicker.

Richella Parham said...

You go, girl! I do really love this makeover--and I love the fact that you've put it in a place where it makes you happy! It makes me smile to read once again that you are not a minimalist. Every now and then I read a blog post that makes it sound as if one must have a certain style of decorating to be "in" or even pleasing. And that's just not true, is it? Minimalism can be lovely, but it's not my style, either. I'm proud of you for showing off how nice things can look while using lots of things that you love.

Have a great day!!

Roeshel said...

Great job! I"m not a minimalist either. ;) I love the entire wall! So pretty!

Adrienne said...

You layer your things very well. I'm not only impressed that you finished the chalkboard and shelf, but also that you hung them up so quickly. Wonderful!

Jadehollow said...

Rhoda.. It looks fantabulous!! Love the whole wall!

the undomesticated wife said...

Great use for that mirror! I was wondering what you were planning. I just finished my ugly thrift store mirror this week (I did white as well, but not Heirloom white..it's something else). I'm going to post pics up this weekend.

And wow, what a difference in the laminate shelf!!

Angie said...

I love the whole arrangement! I am so jealous of all your green dishes!

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Love it, Rhoda! I never knew you could paint on mirrors! I just did my first chalkboard a few days ago (will post about it when hubs gets back from business trip with our camera!) Anyway, I wanted to ask you, what do you use to hang your plates? I've been dying to hang plates and the plate holders I bought to use just don't work well. Any advice would be welcomed - thanks!

Andi @ A Little Piece of Pink said...

Looks wonderful, girl! I think that your kitchen is looking fabulous! You are SUCH a motivator! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
Fabulous! I remember when you first showed us the mirror and shelf. I thought that mirror was the cutest thing and I like it as a chalkboard. Too cute! The shelf in its "found" state wasn't doing much for me, but now that bugger is so cute, too! I like your reasoning for choosing the colors you decided upon. When my daughter was over yesterday, I was showing her all the things I wanted to paint and she suggested colors, which was helpful, because I don't want to paint everything the same color! Thanks for sharing. I have no doubt that whatever you create will be neat.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

You are not the last one to do a chalkboard I am LOL, that is ADORABLE Rhoda....

Yesterday I painted the back of our door leading into the garage with chalkboard paint, I have had it for months and finally tried it...so easy !!! Great spot for a "honey do list" LOL I wonder if hubby will be laughing...

Now I have to find something neat like your mirror :) to make my chalkboard...

Have a great day,
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

ps sorry, did you paint right over the mirror ???

Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

I tried to be a minimalist a couple of times . . . and failed BIG time! LOL! I love being surrounded happy stuff! And you have surrounded yourself and your family with GORGEOUS happy stuff! Everything is your casa is just soooooo beautiful and classy -- yet always warm and welcoming. You got the gift, girlfriend!

Grins, Pamm

Bonnie said...

Everything looks Fantastic! When you run out of things to do at your house please come to mine! In the meantime, I'll keep collecting treasures for you to work with!

Enchantresses Three said...

Wow! You are AMAZING!!!!!! Thanks so much for all the inspiration!
Hugs,
Sariah

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

It looks great! Everyone home needs a chalkboard and yours is just perfect.
~Michelle

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, girls, hope you'll read up here to answer your questions.

I DID paint right over the mirror, about 3-4 coats of the spray chalkboard paint. It seems to be sticking fine, so I don't see a problem with it. I have no idea which one is the best, as this is the only one I've tried.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love, love, love it. I like everything about this wall, and the new chalkboard and shelf are just perfect. Hugs, Marty

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I haven't tried chalkboard paint yet either...but I keep meaning to do it! :) Yours looks great!

~ Sarah

Tricia said...

Great job! I especially love your new chalkboard and I just purchased the paint last weekend myself and am looking for an old picture or mirror to test it out on. Thanks for the inspiration.

Darlene said...

I LOVE your layered area. I would have an area like that looking like a jumbled mess but yours looks beautiful!!

I usually write a menu on my chalkboard in the kitchen. Now, following that menu is a whole different story....lol

We've Got Scents said...

Great work! These both turned out so great. Will have to give the chalkboard a try sometime.
Take care, blessings always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Carol said...

You are just too much for me with your beautiful stuff! Really... I love it. Great job.

Carrie said...

I LOVE IT! I didn't even bat an eye about you having the black shelf with the white board...looks great!

Beware of that chalkboard paint, though...once you start...it's kind of addicting! Everything starts to look worthy of a healthy dose just so you can write and erase on it! :)

Sarah said...

It turned out great! I love it! I think you just gave me a great idea!!! :) Thanks for sharing! I Love your shelf!!!

Joanna said...

Oh they both turned out wonderfully!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

So cute, Rhoda! I didn't know you could paint right over a mirror like that.

I love the whole wall and how you arranged everything. You've got such a knack for making things look great together. It's beautiful!

Chris said...

To be honest, I'm quite surprised that this is your first chalkboard! It turned out great, and the shelf looks amazing!

Jacylann Nix said...

i love what you did with the chalkboard paint! very creative!

Kristi said...

I always delight in my visits to your blog. There are many creative ideas for chalkboard paint but yours ranks with the best of them. Fabulous job! Blessings to you.

KM Studios said...

THERE YOU GO AGAIN!!!

your home is just lovely!!!

I love this chalkboard!!!
arent they fun to make!!!
i made a small one in my studio last week - i just outlined it on the wall since no eles sees it but me...but that chalkboard commands attention...love it!

Tracy Watier said...

Hi Rhoda! Even though there are 58 people ahead of me already (wow! I get happy when I get 8!!), I still had to stop and say "great job!" Love the outcome of both projects. And don't ever 'apologize' for having too much stuff... you're allowed to have a smuch as you want... especially when you can make it all look so good together and make yourself happy in the process. (and, truth be told, seeing yours makes me feel better about all my stuff! yay stuff!)

Amanda said...

i tend to think less is more, but no worries you definitely pull it off. love, love your blog.
thanks

Sandra said...

Wow, girl! You did great! I was looking forward to seeing pictures of your chalkboard. I think you and I made them at the same time. lol I was just about to show mine on my blog. I love how the shelf came out too. You are soooo talented! Such an inspiration to us all!
Blessings,
Sandra

Decor To Adore said...

This is just perfect!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

It looks GREAT!

I'm glad you painted the chalkboard paint on something that can be discarded when you're tired of it. I've heard that trying to cover chalkboard paint on walls is a complete NIGHTMARE! I wouldn't want to deal with that! Haha!

Anonymous said...

Love it, and thanks for posting the steps you took to make the chalkboard. I have been wanting to do that to an old mirror I have but wasn't sure if spraying right over the mirror itself would work. Now I have proof! :)

Angie Acapella said...

the whole wall is just to die for! You're not the last girl, I'm doing a chalkboard project with large tray I bought with a quarter! I'm glad to know there's chalkboard spray paint...I wasn't sure. Awesome job!

Kathysue said...

Rhoda, that was a perfect choice for the little mirror and shelf. Great job,it really looks perfect where you displayed it. I think I need a can of that Heirloom white, what brand of paint is it? Hugs kathysue

Jenny said...

Very nice! Everything looks great together!

mommynoodles said...

It looks great! And if that's what makes you happy,then do it girl! Fill that wall up! lol Happiest is what counts the most!! Natalie,

Jen said...

You are not the last one in blogland to do a chalkboard. I have had my chalkboard paint waiting for 7 years now in my garage. I want to do a big menu board and am just waiting for that right piece to speak to me. I love what you did.

Scooper said...

Such great pieces! Wonderful lines. They both look great.

Nicole A. said...

I love it! I love the little knotted rope on it and I love that chunky little shelf! Great makeovers!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kathysue, that paint is by Rustoleum American Accents & I found mine at Hobby Lobby.

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Yay, you did it! I love it, and I love that rope detail!

Silke Powers said...

Oh, what a gift you have for putting things together! I love what you did with the mirror and the shelf! I wish I had an eye for that kind of transformation... :) Silke

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

This looks great! I also layer and you do it so wonderfully!!

Lou Cinda :)

Jill said...

Love that phrase "layering stuff". I'm gonna use it on my husband because his phrase is "do we really need something in every corner and inch of the house?" ha! I learned that from my mom, who still has a wonderfully decorated house at age 82 but smaller than the one in which we grew up. We were visiting her a week or so ago and I kind of commented one night while going to bed about the stuff everywhere. And my husband just made the "zip my lips" motion and I laughed out loud!

Rosie said...

Great projects! I love the fact that you just painted over the mirror. I'd do that! ;) My beadboard wallpaper arrived! Will start my project after vacation!
rosie

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea turning that plain brown mirror into a very practical chalkboard. I also love all the layering on your wall! It all looks great. TFS!
Sheila

SoBella Creations said...

Great finds!

Angela said...

Rhoda, they're just beautiful! In fact, that whole wall is gorgeous.

mgster said...

It can never be too much stuff when it's all beautiful stuff! :)
Nice job and I was drooling over those green dishes! I have a few pieces...all right I have two pieces...and love them! Good job!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks great! That whole area is pretty. Do I see a pretty rug under your painting project?!?! You are a lot braver than me - that would have been the time I dropped a paint brush or knocked the paint can over. :)

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Rhoda, you weren't the last person to attempt a chalkboard. I haven't done one yet. That whole area looks great. I don't think it's too much stuff at all. The green bunny dishes...4 dessert plates, a dessert stand and a creamer. I love them!

Nissa said...

You aren't the last person not to try chalkboard paint--I haven't either (I'm waiting for the right piece too!). It turned out really nice & I especially like the knotted rope at the top.

Bill said...

Hi Rhoda,
The chalkboard project was a huge success -- so fresh and crisp looking! The shelf looks wonderful displaying your pretty green dishes. Amazing what a little spray paint combined with a lot of inspiration can accomplish!

I love that you don't worry about rules and naysayers. Your writing style is smart and entertaining too.... I always enjoy stopping by for a visit!

Warm regards,
Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements

Unknown said...

Oh' I love your chalk board, the cutest one I have seen in blogland! your chunky shelf is darling too. I just love the grouping you did w/ them and all the cute stuff you have on your hutch! GREAT JOB!

Suzanne in TX said...

Your chalkboard looks fantastic! I love where you chose to place it. The shelf does not even look like the same piece of wood--it is perfect!
Great job!

Anonymous said...

Now now,that was worth the wait wasn't it? Very nice!

marmielu said...

That all turned out really nice! I like the way you used the green dishware to balance. It works.
Mary Lou

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Kat and I were talking about how certain things remind us of certain bloggers. I told her that I can never look at leopard print without thinking of you. lol

Love your chalkboard (although I have to confess - you're not the last one to do it. I still haven't, but want to!). I totally love that now-black shelf. I probably wouldn't have been able to see the potential of that one. Good job!

Kari

Daisy Cottage said...

And it's perfect!!!
Love your chalkboard redo - and you will love having it for sure!

Gorgeous photos of your gorgeous space Rhodie AND I loved seeing your sister's house - tried to leave a comment yesterday but I wasn't able to for some reason. Her home is beautiful - thank you for sharing with us!!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Rhoda,
You have an incredible eye! Those transformations are beautiful and they add a lot to your already gorgeous dining room.

Blessings,
Beth

Cindy said...

I rally like your latest project, Rhoda. You have a great style! I like your sister's house too from the last post, especially her 9-foot piece and kitchen island. Thank you for stopping by my blog on Wed. I made one booboo, though. Apparently the birds that we were watching were pelicans, not storks. Silly me. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Hugs, ~cindy s~

Kammy said...

Turned out so well ! I love where you hanged it ! Minimalist...whats that ? LOL......
Hugs ~ Kammy

Signing Out said...

Rhoda, the shelf and chalk board look amazing!

Jane

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Busy-busy-busy....End result-fabulous. I love the chalkboard. Now I am on the lookout for something to repurpose....... your dishes are beautiful....

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love the way it picks up the black/white in the photo too!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

LOVE the chalkboard!

cotedetexas said...

the blackboard is the cutest thing in the world! love it!!!!! the shelf really came out great too. but that blackboard. yummy!!!!

Beth said...

Cute chalkboard! IDEA: You could change out the rope with different colors & patterns of grosgrain ribbon... maybe depending on the season or holiday.

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Again, you blow me away with the possibilities see in things, Rhoda. It's a gift! Both of these projects turned out wonderfully. I painted the closet doors in my office with chalkboard paint many years ago and still love it. I post notes, room dimensions, room arrangement sketches; play Hangman with my granddaughters or they do math problems or drawings. Love chalkboard paint!

I also love that you acknowledge that the wall would be too much stuff for some. I'm not a minimalist (whatever that is), but I prefer fewer pieces; lots of stuff makes me feel clogged up. I've always loved negative space and open spaces. Doesn't mean that one style is better than another in any way, just that we're all wonderful individuals and can appreciate an celebrate one another's differences. You rock!

Unknown said...

Your creative genius is showing. It's great!
Happy Twirls

Ginny said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! The whole post!!!

Melissa said...

Hi Rhoda! Congrats on your first chalkboard~I love your vision with this one. I sprayed chalkboard paint right over glass as well and it's been holding up for almost 2 years. Thanks for the advice on the grasscloth also~I love it now! The lighting I had in there was horrible, I replaced the yellow flourescent bulbs with the GE Reveal bulbs and it made a HUGE difference. I'll see you back here in just a bit for thrifty treasures :)

Nicole said...

Fantastic! I love it and I think you do layering in a very clean and good way, and it doesn't look cluttered at all. Way to go and some good inspiration!

Renee said...

You've inspired me as well. I found a huge, nasty old mirror covered with Christmas stickers (!!!) at the Goodwill thrift store for $3.00. Once I cleaned it up, it was almost too pretty to paint, but I need a chalkboard, not another mirror. I'm just waiting for the frame to dry now ... I painted it fire-engine red. (My chalkboard paint did chip a bit on the edges when I slid it into the frame but it won't show when I reassemble it and I think it will be fine.)