Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Tour of my Diningroom

It's hard to get a really great shot of my whole DR, so go on a tour with me and I'll show you what I've been up to this week.
This DR is only 10x12', so really a small space. I didn't have a DR in my old house, so it's really been a treat to fix this one up.
I've been working on my creamware collection...see, over to the left of the buffet, trying to find a place for it that would show well & finally decided to move the pair of sconces with dried florals off these walls (see first pic) to make room for the new shelves & pottery pieces. I'm really excited to share with you how it turned out. Just a little thing can make a big difference sometimes. I really wanted a round table in here & managed to find one just the right size. I ordered the skirted parsons chairs online from a really great company called Carrington Court & have enjoyed them so much. The seagrass rug came from Overstock.com and I love how it adds some texture & deformalizes the space. My mom made the toile drapes for my old bedroom & I had 2 pair of them. One is in a guestroom & the other pair ended up in here. I was so happy to be able to use them again, as I dearly love toile. This mahagony buffet is a piece that I really love. I found this piece when I lived in GA in an antique store near my house.
I really love how these pieces look in here, they just add a brightness & really liven up the room. And these shelves are just perfect for displaying them. Now that I took the sconces down, I just may have to find 2 more shelves for the other side, just so my creamware collection can continue. Sounds like a plan to me! Holding my breath that the mollies I put in the wall will hold up...I think they will. I added up all of the $$ I have in the shelves & creamware & it's right at $20...and all from thrifting or yardsales! And I only spent about 3 months collecting these, so I imagine more will turn up along the way. I decided to just keep the Homer Laughlin bowls (center, top shelf) since they look so good with all of this. And the Italian bowl that I found will be added too eventually (probably hung on the wall). The platter hung above is the one I found at last weekend's yardsales.
This is my very favorite bunny. He came from a store in Atlanta called Outrageous Bargains & I just had to have him. I decoupaged that tin planter several years ago with some great bunny wallpaper border that I found. I still love it.
I found this china cabinet several years ago in Atlanta & just loved the lines of it. It's classic styling & I didn't even have diningroom at the time. It was in my livingroom in my old house, as was the buffet & now I have a real DR for them. You can see the bamboo plate holder that I just found last weekend has found a new home.

I keep some of my mom's old china in here, as well as an inexpensive set of white/gold china that I picked up at Target a few years ago. Nice to have it for Christmas.
Mom used to have a whole set of that colonial pattern & I have a few pieces that were left. The mask came from Venice when I visited there back in the early 90's. The roses are my wedding bouquet.
White/gold set from Target & a set of serving pieces that a friend gave me.
A tassel adorns the handle.
Toile drapes that my mom made about 5 years ago & I still love them. Wall color in here is Kilz Vesuvian Garnet (from Walmart). I found the rod & finials at a yardsale several years ago.
A pair of Raymond Waites plates that I picked up a few years ago. Several online friends have some of these too & we all were looking for them. This is one corner of the room as you walk in on the right.
And that's the tour...hope you enjoyed it! Now I can start looking for more creamware pieces for the other side of the buffet. :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

56 friends stopped by:

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
I can't believe how we are so alike in our taste. Your Dining room reminds me of mine. I love it of course.
Rosemary

Debra from Bungalow said...

Rhoda, Rhoda, Rhoooooda!
I foumd in my basement a Martha Stewart creamware pitcher with the sticky tag still on the bottom that says 2002 MarthaStewartomnimedia.So perfect for your collection.

If you would like to have it just contact me!
Last year I got it at a ys and was gonna do somethin with it...can't remember what! LOL

Debra from Bungalow said...

Love the way it pops on the red walls!

sheila from life @ #17 said...

Your dining room is just lovely...I love a red dining room...

Vesuvian Garnet was one of the final contenders for the guest room colour, but I went with MS's Barn red...but I'll probably be redoing that colour soon since I cannot for the life of me get this new paint to touch-up the holes in the walls to match the old paint...arggghhh...red is so hard to paint over...

oh...sidetracked there...anyhoo, love Kilz paint...can't beat the coverage and the price...

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie,

I so enjoy your tours. And just love your style. I always get great decorating ideas from you.

Hugs,
Judy (in McDonough)

CG said...

Rhoda..your d.r. looks gorgeous! Love the color-what is it?

I remember that bunny planter from a long time ago on GI..in fact, it was one of my inspiration pics that I still have in my home decorating book.

Andi said...

Rhoda, I loved the tour of your dining room! Love the red walls...they really make your creamware collection pop! You have a wonderful eye for color and decorating. Your room is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

KLKinFLA said...

So pretty, Rhoda! I absolutely love that china cabinet.

Jill said...

Rhoda- Your dining room is beautiful! Love the wall color. The house we're in now is the first I've had with a dining room so I know how much fun it is. Mine's still in progress as far as decorating. And I've had hubby repaint the walls twice - first celedon green and now it's wedgewood blue. I've love your wall color but will hold off a few years on redoing mine again! LOVE Outrageous Bargains. I got my dining room table there!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

It's fun that you have a DR in this house. You've needed one for years just so you could decorate one the way you wanted! Nothing to do with eating in it. :)

The dishes look smashing against the red walls.
Donna

Justabeachkat said...

Rhoda

I love it all! Very pretty.

I used to shop at Outrageous Bargins all the time when we lived in Atlanta. I miss it.

The shelves and your wall color really make your collection pop on the wall.

Hugs!
Kat

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Rhoda, I featured you on Todays Creative Blog! Love your blog. Love the re-do of the dining room.
Go check out your feature, then mention it if you can.
http://todayscreativeblog.blog;spot.com

"Maggie & Kevin" said...

Just lovely what you have done. The toile is beautiful as are your creamware. What do you call the color of the walls?

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda,
Your dining room is beautiful, but I am most struck by the simple beauty of that creamware display...perfection!! Your home is absolutely lovely!!

Linda

Kristi said...

It's so gorgeous! I wish you could help me decorate mine! I am so afraid to put out too much stuff for fear it will look cluttered, but now it looks stark. In my breakfront I have minimal items and the ones that mean the most to me (family heirlooms) are off to the side on the bottom. I think I need to try to change it again. You are so inspiring. Thanks for posting this. How about some more room tours in the future? :-)

Cheryl Wray said...

You have such a beautiful home! And I love your creamware collection!

Sandy said...

Hey Rhoda, great pix. I love the color. BTW, I have a tassle hanging from my hutch, too! Very similar.
Sandy

PAT said...

Rhoda, it looks wonderful! I've always loved those toile panels. They work beautifully in your dining room.

I am loving the creamware. I'll have to keep an eye out for pieces, along the way.

Just back from the lake, yesterday afternoon and playing catch up this morning. Going now to see your other posts, from this week.

Pat

Naturegirl said...

I did enjoy your DR tour just as though I was in your home walking with you! Loved everthing you did here I see we have similar tastes in bunnies paint color toile fabric tassels!Thank you for sharing.. you have a wonderful eye for decorating!
hugs NG

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I need some toile drapes in my kitchen... I love the look.
You have such style! Thanks for the tour.

Julie said...

I love the curtains your Mother made for you. In fact - you (both) have totally inspired me to do something!! My whole house has touches of toile fabric, including a fabric shower curtain. I made this curtain and after a few months, I washed it and I swear, it shrunk 4 inches in length. I have not been happy with it since then. I am going to add a gingham topper to it with fringe, as your Mother did with yours! It will easily add the length I need and a more beautiful finish! Thank you for posting that photo!!

Julie said...

Wouls you mind if I used that photo as my inspiration Friday photo?

Lauralee said...

I love it! your style is beautiful! I love that you can find such great bargins and make it look so classy!

Anonymous said...

Your home, my dear friend, is much more inspiring than any picture from a magazine could ever be! I absolutely just love your dining room! Mine is small too, 10x11 and I always thought a round table would work better than the oblong one I have, and now I have proof! I'm just amazed that you got all that furniture into that room and it doesn't look a bit crowded.

Your creamware looks fantastic against the red walls and I of course love your toile panels. Your decopauged bunny tin is so cute and I just love how you have that whole bunny theme going through out your home in little touches.

Just fab-u-lous!

Manuela

Lauralee said...

hi again..my real blog is www.chamberlainstory.blogspot.com
you got linked to my little at home business one.. the other one is more interesting!

Lana Manis said...

Rhoda... it's just beautiful!
Thank you for the tour.
Lana

Anonymous said...

Your creamware is to die for! I can't wait to finish my move so I can start collecting too. My new house has the perfect display area, there's a plate shelf already built in. Of course, first I am going to have to paint it because right now it's salmon colored, and not in a good way. ~A :-)

linda t said...

I sooo enjoyed the tour Rhoda! You are so talented!
Now I am off to see your site on Today's Creative Blogs! Congrats!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Susie Q said...

Oh Rhoda...love the bunnies (you knew I would huh?) and those toile panels are glorious! LOVE the color...we have a similar color in the guest room. It is Laura Ashley Burgundy 4 or 5. I would have to go peek at the can! *grin*
LOVE your colors and furniture and the creamware looks so lovely in this room. It just pops against the walls.
I adore tassels as well. I have them all over the house too. It is those little surprises that make a house a home and your home is so delightful!!

I come to you, Donna, Andrea, Pat and a few others for daily inspiration.

Hugs,
Sue

OldBagNewTricks said...

What a fun tour -- I can see you so much appreciate having a nice dining room. Charming and elegant... hope those mollie hold -- that's such a pretty collection of creamware, like everything else, you've put it together really nicely.

Jenny

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Wow, Rhoda!!!
Your dining room belongs in a magazine. Or will we be seeing it in Southern Living next month? :)

I love the creamware against that wall color. What a statement...and for only 20.00!!!

Bravo! to your Mom. Fabulous job on those toile curtains.

Kimberly :)

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Rhoda, what a wonderfully cozy space you have created. I'll be over for dinner right away!
Lidy

Cindy said...

Rhoda, It's stunning! I love it all! It makes me want to change my color scheme!

Trudi said...

Wow, very pretty.

Tracey said...

Stunning! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE toile! It's my favorite!

Deb said...

Such a beautiful, welcoming room. I love your toille drapes & all your collections.

Michelle said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! My dining room is small as well and much smaller than the last house so it has been a challenge...oh maybe one day I will have that "dinning hall".

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ I am tagging you with a restaurant meme. I want to know your favorite places to eat in the area!

Morgan said...

What a fun tour Rhoda! Thank you for sharing your inspiring space with us.

I have two white ledge shelves that I plan to use in my kitchen area like that soon!

I need to show pictures of my living room drapes...they are really similar to yours :o)

Adriann said...

Rhoda! I love your sense of romance in your decorating style. Great job using the shelves for your creamware. It's adds the right touch.

Those topiary plates in your store are tempting. I need to find a style and stick to it. You sharing your style is helping quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I think one of my teacups is in that Colonial pattern! It is one I have on display in my china cabinet.

It has a very slight chip so I don't use it for serving tea but it is beautiful to look at.

Love your blog!

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Rhoda, your dining room is amazing...you have such a great sense of style!

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Such a pretty room. I love the curtains and the bunnies the best of all.
While up north I found 2 lamps that I fell in love with but had a hard time actually buying because I kept thinking of your cute lamp count thing and telling myself that I just didn't need another lamp. I was thinking about you even on vacation.......which is very fun. The lamps are being shipped anyway ;)
Sue

Lallee said...

Rhoda, your dining room looks warm and inviting. Your creamware really stands out against your wall color. It's a beautiful room!

morninglorycottage said...

Rhoda,
Your dining room looks wonderful! I love your creamware collection. I've collected creamware for years and have an impressive collection also. It goes great with so many things. You're very talented!!

Amanda

Gina said...

Oh it's just a divine dream! I love the cream and white collection too. I love it all, very classy.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda this is such a beautiful, warm room! Your attention to detail and how you've layered it with beauty and love really shows! I'd love to dine in such a gorgeous space! All of your gathered finds work perfectly together. Such a special spot in your southern home!
xo,
Kim

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Absolutely divine! That creamware just pops with those vibrant deep red walls! Thanks for the tour.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
I love that you have kept your wedding bouquet and want to share what I did with my two daughter's bouquets. (Mine would be 35 years old now, if I had kept it, and I wish I had thought of this then.) I bought a large square glass display box at Michaels (40% off coupon, of course) and dressed it in momentos from the wedding and placed the bouquet inside. The case was ment for a basketball or something sporty, but I'm sure any wedding bouquet is better than a basketball!!!

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, your dining room is one of my favorites, and I especially enjoyed seeing some of your lovely things close-up, too. You're getting a very beautiful creamware collection!

Barbara said...

It was a pleasure and a priviledge today to visit your home and take a tour of your dining room. Thanks

Unknown said...

Rhoda, your dining room is so beautiful. Such great color (love the combination of the reddish walls and the black and cream toile). Love all of the goodies in your china cabinet too!!

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Tonya said...

pretty room! Love the pottery collection.

you really have a charming blog going here...glad I stumbled on it through morgan's.

Tonya

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda. I love your dining room and all the wonderful things you have in it. Isn't it fun to find things at yard sales and thrift shops? It gives your home such an individual look. I love the drapes your mom made. I made some similar to that to my DL, but alas I have no curtains on any windows! Some day. I always love coming to visit. Rhondi

Adla said...

The room looks spectacular. Love the toile drapes.:)

Adla

Suzann said...

I love red in a dining room. I could have this exact room in my home and be completely pleased. I really love your style!