Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What I Love About My Holiday Home: Sparkle & Cheer

Welcome to our Home for the Holidays......what do I love about my Holiday home this time of year? Well, with the lights and tree and sparkle, just about everything. Karla, at Karla's Cottage, is hosting a party all about our Holiday homes, so be sure to go on over and check out all the girls who will be showing off their Christmas finery. A small tabletop tree in the kitchen is so cheery & makes me happy to look at it with it's lime green ornaments & green/white toile ribbon.
One of my favorite ornaments, flying Santa hangs out on the diningroom sideboard keeping watch over the pinecones and walnuts. A little gold & silver really adds to the festive touch this time of year. A silver yardsale candlabra comes in handy this time of year as a prop for ornaments.
Another favorite ornament, a tiny mirrored treasure chest holds all things bright & beautiful and adds a festive touch to the silver tray adorned with moss, pinecones and dried hydrangeas. Acorns & pinecones were fun to collect this year & I've had fun with the gold/silver spray paint & glitter. There's just something so festive about acorns in a pretty glass bowl. A friend from CA sent me those rose pinecones. We don't have anything like that here in the South. I just love them! Personalized stockings hung by the chimney with care...and a little sparkle doesn't hurt! This was a Ballards Outlet find in Atlanta about 3 years ago. They had a whole bin of rejected stockings & were selling them for $5.00. I found one with my hubby's name & got one that was mostly empty of thread for me & found a place to personalize it here in town.
The Christmas tree in all it's glory...all lit up when I walk in the door at night. Gold & burgandy have been favorites of mine for many years now & seems to work really well in my house, so I've stuck with the tried and true for me.
Shiny, pretty ornaments speak to me..... Fresh greens be-ribboned and festooned with a reindeer and star adorns the stairpost in the foyer.
Baby Jesus and the nativity scene is at rest in the livingroom bringing a calm spirit to this home. A sparkly reindeer, shiny Christmas balls & jeweled rope add a bit of cheer to a side table.
Lime green moss keeps the birds company this Season, along with some walnuts & glowing green balls.
Santa keeps watch over all in the livingroom right next to the ribboned vintage boxes.

************************************************
I'll share a recipe I posted a few weeks ago from my Pampered Chef party. Go back & look if you want to see pics of it. This is a wonderful candy that is SO easy to make and is very festive looking with the white chocolate & cranberries:

Festive Cranberry Crunch Bark
1 package (20 oz.) vanilla or chocolate flavored almond bark, coarsely chopped (found mine at
Walmart..chunky cubes of almond bark)
3/4 cup almonds
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
2 cups crisp rice cereal
Place rectangle stone into freezer at least 1 hour. Lay down parchment paper. Place almond bark into bowl & put in microwave 2-3 minutes until melted, stirring occasionally. Coarsely chop nuts with food chopper, place in microwave for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, stirring after each 30 seconds. Add cranberries, stir until combined. Stir rice cereal and 1/2 the nut mixture into melted bark. Pour bark mixture onto parchment, spreading evenly. Immediately sprinkle with remaining nut mixture; press lightly onto surface of bark. Remove baking stone from freezer, slide parchment paper on top. Let stand 7-10 minutes until bark is set. Bring edges of parchment paper up over bark & break into pieces. Eat & Enjoy!!

Thank you SO much for stopping by this Christmas Season. I wish you peace, joy, health and happy times with friends and family this December. May the peace of our Lord Jesus fill your hearts this Christmas and into the New Year.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

42 friends stopped by:

Jessi Nagy said...

glorious!!!!
your home is beautiful!
thanks for sharing,
jessi

dec0r8or said...

I love your Christmas decor, Rhoda....everything looks so festive!

Mary said...

Oh Rhoda, how beautiful! I don't know which tree is more lovely --- the kitchen or the living room! And I'm loving the acorns -- may have to start collecting those, too!

Thanks for the tour!
xoxo,
mary

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, everything looks just beautiful, and so festive! I've always loved acorn-motifs, and those acorns are really fun!

I always look forward to seeing what you do in your home! You definitely have the touch...

xo, Andrea

Anonymous said...

So warm and festive ... a delight to see ... thank you for sharing .. I am loving this party..

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

thank you for pening the doors of your holiday home...it is beautiful and inspiring...blessings, rebecca

CIELO said...

Very lovely…

What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace (Agnes M. Pharo).

Enjoy the Season

Cielo

bj said...

FABULOUS decorating and what a LOVELY house you have.
The candy sounds soooo good and I will make some today. Will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such sweet words. How fun is all this!!
bj

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda~what stunning deocorations~love your beautiful tree. I making your cranberry bark!
Yummmmy~Thank You!

Hugs:)
Carol
http://raisedincotton.typepad.com/

Nunnie's Attic said...

I just KNEW your house would be gorgeous! And I was right. You really do have a gift Rhoda. Everything is beautiful.

Sorry that I haven't been by to visit these past few days. Life has finally caught up to me and I realized I can't visit everyone, every day. I HATE THAT!

Love,
Julie

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Everything looks beautiful and cozy.
I love it.
Thanks for the recipe.
Rosemary

Jennifer said...

Rhoda,
Your home is beautiful! I enjoyed my visit very much. Thank you for sharing all of the lovely decor. I can't wait to make the candy from your recipe you shared. Have a wonderful day!
Jen

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Everything is just beautiful! I love how you mixed natural elements with the drama of sparkly things. Love what you did with that bird container with the moss and lime green balls (you got that yardsailing this summer as I recall). The flying santa is cute and your tree is just amazing! I can never wind ribbon in mine so nicely so I've just given up on that!

For the bark, I guess you can take a cookie sheet if you don't have that stone thing? I love anything with cranberries and I can only have white chocolate now cause of the caffeine in milk chocolate so this is something I'll definitely make!

Manuela

Manuela

Brittany said...

Gorgeous!! Your home is just beautiful!!
brittany

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Simply gorgeous holiday decor! So warm & inviting. Thanks for sharing all your pretties! Please visit my holiday home!

Merry Christmas!
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Sooo elegant. Your home is just lovely. Susan

Dena said...

Hi Rhoda,

What a beautiful home you have - your decorations are just perfect and so very festive.

Hugs,
Dena

kari and kijsa said...

Your home is just singing with holiday cheer! Love all your decorations, and the recipe sounds yummy!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Susie Q said...

I knew your home would be gorgeous and I am not disappointed!
I love all the colors you have chosen. So elegant, so lovely, so welcoming.
Just glorious!! I so enjoyed the tour!

Hugs,
Sue

Alison Gibbs said...

Rhoda your christmas decor is beautiful. Love the touch of lime green. How wonderful to walk in the door of an evening and see your lovely tree.
Alison

Tonja said...

It's all just beautiful! I know you must love walking into your home and seeing the decorations. I have also collected acorns and pinecone ornaments for years. I usually put them on a tree in my sunroom. It looks like you are ready for Christmas!

Janet said...

Rhoda,

Everything looks beautiful. I love how you southern gals decorate. It must be in the genes LOL.
Janet

Sandy said...

I love how you have used so many natural elements in your holiday decor I do that too! Everything is so beautiful! Merry Christmas, Miss Sandy

Monica said...

Oh your home is gorgeous!I lvoe your colors and its so festive!
Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays :)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

You are AMAZING!

Love it all!

Smiles,

Joy

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I would love to make that candy. And your home is stunning Rhoda, no surprise to me! I love where your tree is placed, too!

Adriann said...

Everything is absolutely gorgeous!!! Love the stockings and especially the birds with the green ornaments and moss. Very Christmasy!

TFS!

Blessings!!

Sandi McBride said...

You've decorated everything to a tee...I love the glittery reindeer and I love a bargain stocking, what girl doesn't? Now that was really a bargain! Well done, Rhoda, well done!

roseroomnz.com said...

Beautiful- Merry Christmas and Blessings - Rachael

Vonda said...

Oh Rhoda, your homes is GLORIOUS! I am having a hard time keeping my tree in one piece with a 9 month old who is starting to stand up for 5 seconds at a time. :) In about 18 years when my youngin's have gone away to college, I want you to come and help me decorate for Christmas okay??? Love ya -V

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Stunning, beautiful, glorious ~ you and your home! Thanks for sharing.
Have a wonderful day.
Blessings,
Sandy

tammi said...

Oh, your house looks just beautiful!! (not that I expected any less!) Gold and burgundy are my tree colours as well -- ahh, great minds think alike!

Julie L. Light said...

Rhoda, your home is absolutely stunning. I love all of the special little touches that you added. oooh, I wish I could go to that Ballard outlet (I love their catalog)!

BTW, I left an award for you at my blog...I hope you can squeeze a little time into your busy schedule :-)
Julie

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful Rhonda,thanks for the tour.

Carrie said...

What delightful elegance! I enjoyed visiting. Do stop by at Oak Rise Cottage too.

Jill said...

Amazing! Don't you just love coming home to that tree? I'm not crazy about the actual putting up of the tree, but once it's done, I adore it to pieces!

Anonymous said...

How much fun that was! Thank you for inviting us into your home. Every thing looks so cheery and festive and beautiful.

pinkroses said...

Everything in your home is lovely! I will come back and read through your other posts...and copy some recipes! I live in Atlanta, and will have a part time Alabama resident next year, as my son will be going to either Auburn or Alabama. Have a very Merry Christmas!
Suzanne Duda

Maureen said...

Now where did you find the gorgeous Lime Toile Ribbon? Love that! Looks perfect with the tiny acorns. I have some of those and found larger ones to add to the mix this year. No surprise, as we are both drawn to the same things! Seeing your stocking from Ballards made me smile as I recall that day we both rummaged through the bins at their after Christmas sale together. You've reminded me I need to get ours mongrammed! Thanks for all of the kind praise you left at my blog. You've always been such a great source of decorating inspiration for me!

CG said...

Great deal on those stockings..very cute!

Dena said...

beautiful decor - love your natural colors!
I really like your fun stockings too.

Paul-ene said...

Your holiday home is so festive and FUN! Thanks for sharing!