Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sunday in the Country

Last weekend was a beautiful spring-like weekend, with temps around 70 degrees. Perfect for a drive to the country, so we went out to see my hubby's sister, Sunni, who is a real life horse-woman. She is working on getting her own business going with boarding, training, riding lessons and trail rides and is working with a local small cattle rancher by renting his barn. She has two beautiful Tennesee Walking horses and it was a fun afternoon. She was grooming them when we arrived and I snapped lots of pics while she was working. She's a natural with horses and got this love from their mother, who had many horses of her own over the years. This is her newest horse, who she calls Little Roan and she is a young thing, 3 years old.

She was fairly patient while Sunni worked her over with electric clippers and brushes. She did not like getting her ears clipped though and couldn't wait to get out of there.
I walked around taking pics of the barn. It was very clean and newly outfitted with beadboard. I love this rocking chair. Sunni gets up close and personal with her horses and this little one gives kisses on demand.
Meet Savannah, Sunni's older horse who I got to ride. She's a sweet and gentle horse. Note the Rebel flag blowing in the breeze. After all, we are in Alabama.
The Tackroom
Horse books
She has put a lot of effort into getting this place all spiffed up. It's a really pretty barn & folks should be glad to have their horses boarded here.
Love this sign. Isn't this peaceful? That black rocking chair belonged to their other grandfather, who they called Big Daddy. He's been gone many years, but Sunni got his old rocking chair.
Savannah in the corral.
You can see what a beautiful day it was.
Little one waiting patiently to be set free.
Savannah going to get saddled up. Don't I look like a natural?? NOT! I did have fun riding her around the corral. She's a great horse, very gentle and easy to control. She did a fast walk, which is the natural gait for a Tennesee Walker, I hear. I grew up riding horses some at my uncle's place in Florida, so I have been around horses some. But, I'm far from comfortable with horses. My worst horse story was when one of my uncle's quarter horses ran away with me way back when I was in my late teens and had taken some of my girlfriends over there to ride. Now that was scary! I should have known better than to get on a horse named Trouble.
Uncle Pete with his niece, Shannon. She's a sweet girl.
Here come the girls late afternoon when it's time to get in the stall for the night and eat oats and apples.
And some baby calves on the way out. Aren't they cute?
There's nothing better than a drive out to the country to really make you appreciate spring and nature and I have an open invitation to go ride horses whenever I want to. I will definitely be going back!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 friends stopped by:

Rox said...

Hey Rhoda,
I LOVE this post. Thank you for sharing. That view was amazing! I grew up in the Oxford, Anniston area. We are in Atl. now for the last 14 years. My Mom is till over there so we go back a lot. I love horses and this was just a great post!The rocking chairs were great too!
Roxanne

Judy said...

I was "horse crazy" growing up. My granddaddy indulged my love of horses and I had my first horse at age 2 - I learned early not to sneak around the backside of your horse - I got kicked!
One summer I got to 'babysit' a little shetland pony called "Shucks". Shucks like to run away from home (I guess she was looking for her old home place). There's nothing like riding a horse with the wind blowing in your hair and not a care in the world. Some friends next to my grandparents place raised Tennessee Walking horses...they were so beautiful.
My horse passion gave way to a love of decorating but I still tell my hubby that one day I would love to own another horse and take my little granddaughter for a ride.

XOXO - Judy

Debra from Bungalow said...

You look like a natural horsewoman! How lucky you are to have an open invitation. I have never ridden a horse but would love to give it a try.....after I get past my fear. Living in the country & having animals sounds like the good life.
Hugs, DebraK

Anonymous said...

What a great post....when I was a little girl my Daddy's father had 2 horses and on Sundays when we would go and visit my Grandparents we would get rides around the coral, it was always fun. My Mother's mother grew up on a farm and always had her own horse.

As I grew older though I must say I am not much of a horse person, don't want to ride them etc...but I sure appreciate their beauty.

Such a beautiful area Rhoda and if that was your new camera GREAT pictures.

Can't wait for 70 degrees,
Kathy :)

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

This was wonderful. How nice it it to be able to spend time in this beautiful place with these awesome animals....Have a beautiful day....Mary

Anita Ann said...

Oh my daughter would love to see a real life horse. She is three and absolutely in love with them.

OKGardners said...

Beautiful horses, beautiful day, beautiful barn and you DID look like a natural on the horse. Glad you had a good day with hubby and some family members.

Debbie Kay said...

Hi Rhoda:

Looks like a beautiful day was had by all. Thank you for sharing such lovely pictures.

Love to you,

Debbie Kay

Rosemary said...

What a fun time Rhoda. That horse is a beauty!!
Thanks for sharing with us,
Rosemary

Sheila said...

Hi Rhoda, looks like your were visiting my house. We live in the country, we have horses (quarter) and cows too! I love it, wouldn't trade it for anything. We live apprx. 11 miles from town. Just close enough. There is alot to be said for raising your children on a farm! LOve the pics., thanks for sharing....

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Beautiful photos!! My son has horses and is a calf roper. I've always liked the song " Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys". We live in horse country and I've been to a lot of rodeos. Horses and cattle just seem to be good for the spirit. Love horses and love this post!Beautiful country there.
Brook

Sandy said...

What beautiful pictures! Loved the post.

Sandi McBride said...

It looks wonderful! I love the horses, just love them
Sandi

Tracey said...

Love all the pictures! Horses freak me out, though!!! Hope all is well! I miss checking in on you!
Much love,
Tracey

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Wow, you are blessed with good weather, good relatives and good horses to ride!!

I enjoyed seeing the beautiful horses and the barn. I think that barn was cleaner than some of my relative's homes :)

Blessings,

Sher

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda. What wonderful pictures of what looked like a really fun day. The barn is beautiful. I haven't stopped by in a while, so I read a couple That chocolate walnut pie sure looks decadent and delicious! And I enjoyed the decorating photos too. Rhondi xo

Unknown said...

SOunds like a great day! Good to be back! I have missed you and your blog!
Hugs,
Robyn

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place and wonderful time. Wow I could just sleep in the barn it is so nice. The horses are beautiful.

dana's design studio said...

I am so curious about those giant keys. I can think of some fun ways to decorate with those.

What a peaceful place. Aren't we blessed for such get-aways and great people to share the experience with.
Dana

Unknown said...

I've recently just found your blog and must admit, I love it!

Your visit with the horses looks quite enjoyable. The weather has been nice latley but I think that is coming to a short end this weekend.

Sandy said...

Love the photos - and you on the horse! We were in Virginia Beach over the weekend and you are right, it was gorgeous!

Deb said...

What a great post Rhoda. I LOVE horses and the photos were just beautiful. I loved the quote in the barn too :-}

Charlotte said...

What beautiful pictures. What beautiful horses. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth Welter said...

Beautiful country side Rhoda and I love the horses. Horses are such regal animals. I'm not a rider, I'm actually afraid of horses but I sure do think they are beautiful.

I must be the only one I knew, who grew up with horses (my dad was a horse lover and owned many) and even had my own pony and never rode her or the horses...I was so afraid of them, still am to this day. My father I think, was disappointed that I did not inherit his love for riding. They are such gorgeous animals though, I so admire people who work with them, it is a lot of hard work and dedication. Looks like you had a lovely time with your sister in law. : )

Anonymous said...

Beautiful horses! I've never ridden a horse - maybe someday! I love the rocking chairs!

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

That's funny - my ex-father-in-law had a horse named "Trouble". That horse had the boniest butt ever. NOT a joy to ride. I haven't been on a horse in...let's see now...about 27 years. And I think Trouble was the last horse I rode, come to think of it. I guess I'm more suited to riding an escalator than I am a horse. lol
:)
Kari

dana's design studio said...

Thanks for stopping by today...if you do the wallwords, send me a photo or link to your blog if you post it and I will share it in blogville. Dana

Justabeachkat said...

Beautiful photos of those gorgeous horses! Wow...her barn is amazing. What a place to visit!

My Daddy used to take my sister and I to ride on the weekends. We had a local stable nearby. I always rode the same horse, Echo. He was a sweetie pie. I haven't been riding in years though. The last time we did was in Arizona. George's horse was the biggest horse I've ever seen. Scary. And his name was Lightning. LOL

Hugs!
Kat

Tara said...

Rhoda

What a great post--you go girl on top of that horse! You do look natural! Thanks for sharing the good time!

:0)
Tara

violetlady said...

I used to have a horse and loved just being around her. Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures.