Friday, August 8, 2008

Estate Sale Goodies & Stargazer Lillies

Are we all partied out now??

Whewwwwww, you girls really came out and joined the party! Thanks so much for all who participated, it was SO much fun. I think we'll have to do it again sometime later, maybe another topic next time! I think I visited EVERY SINGLE one of you who left a link. What a bunch of bargains we have all found. Doesn't it make you want to keep getting out there and looking? I know...it's addicting. For those of you just stopping by, feel free to leave your link on the thrifting party post below. It will still be active for anyone coming by to visit.

So, I was going to take a break for the month of August, you know with this heat and all. But, I pulled out the Friday paper this a.m. just to see what was in there and wouldn't you know it, 2 estate sales really close together AND they both sounded pretty good. Out the door I went and hit them both.

Wanna see what I found? I knew you would......nothing earth shattering, but good bargains nonetheless.
I have been on the lookout for some large and sturdy salt and pepper shakers. I've got a decorative fruit set that came with my fruit china, but it's rather dainty and my hubby won't use dainty ones. He'll grab the big bottle of pepper every time. And I had an old set of metal salt & pepper shakers that I use when I cook, so I wanted a large set to have around the kitchen. I was SO happy to spot this set at one of the estate sales for $3...and it just so happens to look great in my green kitchen, with my white dishes and all my bunny and cabbage plates. These even might be a little vintage as I see some crazing on the white. I love them and I really love the way Salt and Pepper is written on them.
Can you see what's new?? Oh yeah...a pair of Staffordshire-like dogs. I've seen these dogs in Traditional Home magazine forever and thought, if I ever run across a pair, I'm getting them. These babies were $12 for the pair! Quite the bargain and they are BIG. I think they might be a little old too, can't tell from the bottom as there is felt underneath. They definitely don't look new.
Aren't they cute??!
Roll Tide Bear Bryant Coke bottle was $1, for The Man...great addition to his office.
Found this sweet cross-stitch at the 2nd sale. I don't really need more of these, but it was so pretty I decided to get it and pass it on to one of you. If anyone is interested in this for $10, let me know. It's very nicely done and measures 11x12". Has a slight bit of rust right at one edge, but if it's framed or used on a pillow that would be easy to hide (in case it didn't come out with soaking). If no one gets it, I'll offer it on Ebay. That's it for now!
I wanted to share my stargazers that were blooming recently. Is there a prettier flower than a stargazer lilly? This year, I reaped the benefits of planting three of these last year.
They are in full bloom and so heavy that they fell over.
So I did them a huge favor and cut them...
To bring inside and enjoy on the breakfast table.
So pretty....

On the business side, things are picking up. I've been a busy girl lately and have had two more jobs going on. I hope to share one of them with you very soon, a little redesign with the addition of a few things that made a HUGE difference and it turned out great! The other one is still in progress and I hope to be able to share that one with you too. And next week, I'll be working with my designer friend down in Tuscaloosa on a big project, so that should be a fun one too.

Have a great weekend!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

37 friends stopped by:

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the party you hosted yesterday. In fact I'm not sure I visited them all, so I'm glad you will keep it going for awhile.

Love all your new finds. My son found a pair of those dogs and sold them on ebay for $300. I have no idea how you can tell what they are worth.

I stopped by a sale today on my way to mom's and got two boxes of craft supplies for 50 cents...and they are LARGE boxes! You never know do you?

Thanks again, and have a great day,
Diane

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Rhoda, First let me thank you for the great finds party. Next, Well,girl, I am so jealous of those dogs, I have been looking forever, but the prices have always been tooooo high, what a great deal you got, I am really happy for you!!!! Last, keep hosting great parties, It was alot of fun! Hope you have a great weekend! Nancy

Missy Wertz said...

I just knew you had gone off to the "longest yard sale". Isn't that this weekend? Starts in Gadsden.

Well, after joining your party, I am inspired.

Too busy to get out today, I have a Sunday School lake party to go to tomorrow, but... I just might sneak out before DH and DD get up in the morning... Who knows what I will find. ;-) {whisper b/c I do not want DH to know... I have mad stash cash pulled out just in case...}

Missy Wertz said...

I just realized, you cannot edit a comment once it is posted. New blogger blond moment...

Great finds BTW!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Rhoda! I love the dogs...what a great price!! Lucky you...they look great too!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Robin

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting the party that sure was fun, Those dogs are great I used to have one that I used as a door stop.

Looking forward to your posts about your jobs !!!

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

ps just heard on the news that John Edwards had an affair...man oh man that poor Elizabeth...

bj said...

I love your new finds...and the flowers are just breathtaking!
I'm glad you are leaving the other post open for a day or so...I have tried hard to see them all but still lack a few. I am leaving my post up today, too...
You sure know how to throw a great blog party, girlfriend. The topic was perfect...all of us LOVE to brag on something great we got for a song. Wonder what your next one will be? I'll sure be playing along, whatever it might be!
Thanks again for such a good time...love, bj

nikkicrumpet said...

Rhoda

Thanks again for hosting the party...it was alot of fun and I found some really great new blogs along the way. Your lilies are so beautiful! And if they are anything like the kind I have planted they smell soooo good!
Have a great day!

Yvonne said...

Ok - here's my little piece of 'I used to work in a flower shop" advice on lillies - pull that pollen off the tips and the flowers will not only last longer, the pollen won't fall off and stain anything and everything it comes in contact with. No pollen-laced lillies ever left our flower shop!! And for the record, those are as beautiful as the ones that came from our suppliers!

Stacy said...

Gasp! Those flowers are remarkable!

And I adore those lil doggies you got!

It sounds like you are really blazing a trail in your new career. I am so happy for you! Keep it up!

~Stacy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What lovely flowers, Rhoda! And the pictures are incredible. You are such a gifted photographer.

When my sister got married years ago, we carried flowers like this in our bouquets. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Love your other finds, too!

Sheila

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Rhoda,I love your post today! Also those flowers are what we used in our son's wedding a month ago, and I love them, they are so vibrant. Thanks for the thrifty finds party it was alot of fun. You are a great party hostess!
Blessings, Debbie
ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com

Carry Grace said...

You can't go wrong with a Bear Bryant Coke bottle, my husband has a few of them.

duchess said...

Beautiful flowers.
Have a nice weekend.

Kathryn said...

Love the Staffordshire spaniels! I have a couple of pairs myself (one pair on the mantel, too!).

My husband loved the Bear Bryant coke bottle. :-)

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Rhonda,
I tried to leave a comment earlier and blogland wasn't working. Just love your finds :) and of course the dogs are my favorite :):) Your lilies are very beautiful. Always fun to see what gals find on the
"hunt"
Warmly, Deb

The Berry's Patch said...

Hi Rhoda,

I just love your new pets. I've seen them in magazines as well and thought I would buy them one day. They look great on your fireplace.

Brandee :-)

PAT said...

Pretty Stargazers, Rhoda. J wants to put a few of these in our gardens, somewhere. Did you put yours in during Fall or did you do them during Spring?

Pat

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed the house party too, in fact I haven't had a chance to get around to them all

some great new finds, just a great game this thriting isn't it?

love the lilies

so glad you are getting on well with your business, hope it snowballs for you more and more

Sue said...

Morning Rhoda,
Thanks again for the party and for coming around to visit us all. Great price for the pair of large Staffordshire dogs. Your Stargazers are gorgeous. I was going to comment suggesting you remove the orange stamen from the centers but see that Yvonne offered the same advice.
Glad to hear that you have picked up a few new clients, so exciting for you. Can't wait to see pictures, you do such a good job.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Sue

Free Art Printables said...

Thanks again for hosting! I had the best time! Those are great finds.. as usual ;) Jen r

Trixi said...

Oh,Rhoda, those are some great finds. The stargazers are beautiful.
Have a great weekend!!

Missy Wertz said...

Let me know when you put the yard sale trip together. I would love to go. I put DD on the bus at 7:AM and train an MS patient at 10. I will not schedule a photo shoot that day and will not accept an sub {aerobic} class that day. (I don't teach Wed's and Friday's and gyms typically call me on those days to sub.) I understand Fridays 7-10 are prime yardsaleing times. :-)

Thanks for the info about the longest yard sale. I would not be interested in looking at 'junk' or antique dealers with retail prices....

My aunts are always talking about doing that longest yard sale excursion. But then they helped me clean out my mom's house a couple of years ago... my mom would buy a cool whip bowl lid for 5 cents because she might need it and it was only 5 cents. (That is how I have invisioned yard sales.)

Good finds!! Love love love the dogs!

Lawsy Mercy said...

Rhoda - I love your blog and I am still going through the party locations from yesterday! Awesome job by everyone! You certainly found some wonderful things. I can't wait to see what you are working on!

Debra from Bungalow said...

I own one pair of staffordshire dogs but would love more....I am so jealous right now!!!! Love the s&p shakers.
Thanks for hosting a great party! I got so many new visitors to my blog!
Hugs, DebraK

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

You threw a fantastic party! I had so much fun seeing what everyone had found. I would love to do it again if there is a next time :)

Great shakers! Those will be darling in your kitchen. The Stafford-shire-like dogs look really cute on your mantel and that cross-stitch is darling too :)

Beautiful lilies!!

Thank you again for a great time!
hugs,
rue

charmaine said...

hello! i really enjoy reading your blog and viewing your post. very nice blog. the dogs are beautiful! i also fancy that coke bottle.

charmaine

Kat said...

Rhoda....great finds! You always do find good stuff. I love the dogs and cant believe the price you paid. Unbelievable. I looked years ago and almost had a heart attack at the price they wanted.
I adore stargazer lilies. The scent is intoxicating.
Im glad to hear your business is thriving. Not a bit surprised tho.
You have talent! Cant wait to see your new project.

Bonita said...

The lilies! Oh, the beautiful lilies! My bouquet was made up of those gorgeous flowers to go with my last name "Lillie". Whenever I see them I think of my wedding. Yours are stunning!

Toni said...

Rhoda, you find the most wonderful things! I really need to come shopping with you, because the sales I stop by and the thrift shops I go to don't seem to have the great things that you find! My husband is a huge Alabama fan and he remembers those Bear Bryant Coke bottles. Thanks for sharing your beautiful treasures with us!

paintergal said...

I absolutely love stargazer lilies. They are one of the perennials I left behind at my old house. Need to get more!
You really scored with those dogs. I'd love to find a set too, but they are usually so pricey.

Becky said...

Thanks Rhoda for hosting the party! It was sooooo much fun! I actually looked at everyone who participated and got lots of good ideas. Can't wait to what you have up your sleeve for us next time. Thanks again. Becky

kari and kijsa said...

Thank you so much for your prayers and wonderfully kind comments during this difficult time. Every word made and is making a difference as we begin this new journey.

Thank you so much for your words of comfort and blessing,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! Now I'm in love with the doggies. I collect the Staffordshire dogs and these are charming. I had a post about my den and have all my doggies in my built in cabinets. You really got a great price on them. There are some knock off dogs that aren't Staffordshire - and they're just as precious. I have a set I've ordered four months ago and it's still not here!! Wah!!
Well don't forget to be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Ronda,
Thanks for sharing your photo's and ideas. Love them all and love your finds. Thanks again for the great finds party! I haven't looked at all of them yet but still working on it.
Cheryl

Darlene said...

Wow you find the best things!! I'm getting ready to watch the video beacause the peek....well, lets just say looks FABULOUS!!

Your lilly's are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Darlene said...

OK the instant I hit to post I knew I spelled lilies wrong....there that is better.