Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lunch is Easy Entertaining!

Please welcome my dear friend, Sandy, from For Reluctant Entertainers as my guest today. She is sharing about her passion, which is hospitality and entertaining. Sandy is my mentor in entertaining and sharing our home with others and I’m determined to invite friends over more often. I met Sandy two years ago when I first started blogging and then had the privilege of meeting her in person this month in Nashville at the Blissdom '09 blogging conference. She is just as precious in person as I knew she would be from her blog and now I can call her my real life friend. Welcome, Sandy! That’s Sandy in the middle. You can find ME guest posting over at Sandy’s blog today, so please go over and say hello!
***********************************************

Isn't it nice to have friends over for a simple lunch?

There is something about making a lunch for others that just has a different feel and touch than making a dinner.
You don’t have to over complicate or cook a lot of food, and that is really nice!
Last Friday I experienced this as I had two friends over for lunch. One friend was on her lunch hour so we had only 45 minutes.

Using these guidelines, my Easy Lunch had meaning and taste!

• Create a simple table setting – paper napkins work just fine!
• Make a salad using what you already have in your fridge or cupboards or on your counters.

• Don’t run to the store! Be creative!!

• Serve water for the beverage.

• No pressure for dessert – most friends want to eat healthy these days! And who wants a heavy dessert in the middle of the day?

• Have your food made up in advance, so when your guests arrive you can immediately sit down and take advantage of the time.

• Save the dishes for later! Your guests may need to leave – and time around the table is much more important!
Our time together was long past due. As we caught up with each other, we found ourselves saying, “Let’s do this again soon!” and “Why don’t we do this more often?”
Looking for ways to support, build up, stimulate and encourage another person takes an attitude of giving rather than receiving. Starting small and easy, like a simple luncheon, is a great place to begin!
Thank you, Sandy, for sharing with us today. If you’ve never visited Sandy’s blog, For Reluctant Entertainers, you need to check it out. It’s full of inspirational ideas for hospitality and sharing your life with others and you will be blessed!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 friends stopped by:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing on Sandy's blog today! Also, thanks for sharing when things "don't go" quite as we hoped (neighborhood turnout). It just reminds me, that we still need to reach out to others!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Sandy has a great blog. This was my first visit to her blog and now I'm a follower. Great post by the way!!!

Kari said...

What a wonderful post. I too am always gunshy about entertaining because of the work factor. But I have often told myself that it's better to be simple and have friends over than make it complicated and *impressive* and never have anyone over. This just proves it. I appreciate the simple beauty of your meal and the wonderful time you must have had. Thanks for the inspiration!

-Kari

Joanna said...

I love to entertain but take too much time to do things around it, cooking, cleaning, etc...I am the host that immediately gets up and starts cleaning up the kitchen and getting dishes in the dish washer..From now on I will stay around the table and chat!

Inspired Kara said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!! Having the girls over for a simple meal is one of my favorite things to do!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Girl I loved this post today..Now I like to make a quiche ahead of time and just pop it in the micro for my lunch guest...its so easy and I have more time that way with my company and the heck with the dishes they will wait for me..I tried and enjoy my guests the dishes I don't...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Sandy said...

Thank you Rhoda, for letting me be your guest. I wish we were having lunch together today! :)

Helen said...

Loved your post today ... always wonderful to linger a bit around the table with folks you enjoy .. I amy totally in love with your dining room by the way!

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love Sandy! Her ideas are priceless!
~Sandy toe

CMB said...

This was a great post...I do a lot of entertaining but lunch with a few close friends is the best (and most relaxing)!

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

Thanks for the tips! PS- Hubby and I tried to make over our bathroom by following your cabinet painting tutorial! Can't wait to show you when it's all finished!

Dana said...

Thanks so much for having Sandy guest-post. I adore entertaining, but I sometimes convince myself that I don't have time for it. I need to remember to Keep It Simple and go ahead and make the memories.

Anonymous said...

I hardly ever entertain because I always overdo it and exhaust myself! Thanks for the reminder to keep things simple!

Justabeachkat said...

A good reminder to keep things simple and just enjoy each other's company.

Hugs!
Kat

Jacki said...

Hi Rhoda! I am a big fan of yours! I love all of your ideas and you have great taste!! I have decided to start a blog of my own! Its not perfect just yet but i'm slowly getting there!! I hope you will give it a visit and if you have any advice let me know!!
Be Blessed!
Jacki
http://kissamule.blogspot.com/

CarJax said...

Hi Rhoda & Sandy, I'm a blessed lurker of both your blogs. :O) I love this idea of making lunch simple and delicious. I host a "Knit Together" group of crafters every other Friday afternoon and lunch is included. I'll have to put your ideas to practice. Thanks again for sharing your lives with us. Hugs, Jax

P.S. If you want to join the fun, I'm hosting a special "chick flick" DVD give-away. xoxoxo...

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Love all the great tips! Us Lazy Moms need all the help we can get! I love Sandy's blog and love your post!

Anonymous said...

where did your list of blog friends go? i miss them listed on the left side of your blog
sse6@juno.com

The Stylish House said...

Lovely post as always! I have enjoyed reading your blog for over a year. Wish you lived in my area, we could have so much fun hunting for treasures.
Cathy

Kirstin said...

Hi! I popped over from Sandy's blog!! I'm so glad I did. I'm going to add you to my list of blogs to visit.

Have a great day.

KM Studios said...

Great tips! Who doesn't love getting together with friends?
Sandy, you seem to have it all under control!

Nettie Beard said...

I'm relatively new to your blog and I've loved every minute of it. You inspire me to try new things. I can't wait to update my bathroom mirror...
Loved this lunch blog. I'm horrible about not having friends over for dinner because everything isn't just perfect... This makes me realize I'm making it to hard on myself!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, I enjoyed your guest post today. I have been trying to entertain more too...and make it casual...so I don't stress! Thanks for the tips and the recipe for THAT CHEESECAKE, yum!
I wondered why you don't have your list of blogs on your sidebar anymore???
And...thanks for the info on the rug too!
Desiree

Anonymous said...

RHODA, when did all "this" happen (the changes)??? My goodness, this is JUST BEAUTIFULLY DONE!!! What a TREAT to enjoy!!! Good to "see you" again, my friend! THANKS & hugs, Linda

Gina said...

Welcome Sandy, good to meet you. I really love these ideas, but then I always love your ideas. Thank you so much for this useful post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for introducing us to Sandy.
Jumped over to her blog and really
loved it and will add it to my
list. I love to entertain and
appreciated your story because
it's nice to know it doesn';t just
happen to me.
Last spring I hosted 2 ladies
luncheons in my home for older
ladies from SS and they loved it
and I did too. They use to do things like that when they were
young Moms.

Unknown said...

These are great tips. The K.I.S.S. METHOD: Keep it simple sweetie or keep it simple stupid. I prefer the first translation. I love elaborate tablescapes and I have taught them at workshops; but being busy, I am able to enjoy an event much more when it is simple.

Thanks for the tips and I love your photos. I'm hungry now. {{GRIN}}

Best Blessings, KJ