Friday, May 15, 2009

Frugal Fashion

My friend, Jen, over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam is as passionate about yardsales and thrifting as I am and when I found out she had a thing for clothes shopping at those venues just as much as I do, well, let’s just say we are soul-sisters in thrifting. And when I found out Jen was going to do a party where we can all show off our frugal fashion finds, I was really excited about that. For you see, my closet is full of thrifty finds. I can hardly stand to shop at the retail stores anymore. But, that doesn’t mean I’m lookin’ frumpy, oh far from it, there are great name brands and stylish clothes out there just waiting to be found. And it’s not just clothes. I’m talking shoes, jewelry and purses too. I can’t tell you how many great things I’ve found out there over the years.

So, come along for a little frugal fashion show and I’ll show you just one outfit that I took out of my closet. Now keep in mind these pics were sort of thrown together, after peeling off my sweaty gym clothes, I threw this stuff on to do this story and I’m not exactly photo ready after sweating most of my makeup off. So, this is me gettin’ real and I had to take my own pics in the mirror.

IMG_5033

My neighbor owns a consignment store and I’ve mentioned before that she does at least 2 big yardsales at her house a year and I have racked up on some great things from her sales. Now, I know that you don’t always find deals like this out there every day, but I have run across some wonderful brands of clothing at yardsales too for just a few dollars and my closet is proof. This is an Ann Taylor dress and I got it for $1. Yep, you heard that right, just one dollar. Most of the things I’ve gotten through my neighbor’s sale have been $1 or $2. I didn’t shoot a closeup of the bracelet I’m wearing, but that is a yardsale find too for only $1. Most of my jewelry these days comes from yardsales and all 3 of these pieces came from 3 different sales.

IMG_5034

The dress is a pretty chocolate brown with green leaves. Moving on to the shoes…

IMG_2538

Now I realize that some would turn their nose up at buying shoes at yardsales, but really there are many out there that are very gently used. These Ralph Lauren sandals were $4, still in the box and looked like they had just been worn outside once or twice. It doesn’t bother me at all to find a pair of shoes in great condition like this to bring home and wear.

IMG_5050

I was trying to figure out how to show you my jewelry without showing my head, but it didn’t work out, so now here I am looking ragged, but you can see the jewelry I’ve found. This brown chunky necklace was $1 as well as the earrings.

So, let’s add that up:

Ann Taylor dress: $1

Ralph Lauren shoes: $4

3 pieces of jewelry: $3

Total: $8

Can you beat that? I don’t think so. In case you’ve never considered clothes as an option to shop for at thriftstores or yardsales, let me encourage you to think outside the box. You will be amazed at what is out there in your size, just waiting to come home with you. Talk about being spoiled. I can hardly stand to go in a retail store now and even pay sale prices. How about you? Are YOU on the bandwagon too for thrifty clothes shopping? Go on over to Jen’s to see who else is playing today. And Jen is also the Queen of Frugal Fashion herself.

I'm also joining Julia's Hooked on Fridays, since I'm definitely hooked on frugal shopping.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

49 friends stopped by:

Daisy Cottage said...

Their is NOTHING frumpy about you girlfriend! Lucky me has seen first hand how stylish you are and you find the BEST fashion fun when thrifting! Love these finds too - fabulous! Oh, and you are making me nervous... please don't fall backwards down the stairs!!!!! ;-)

Love ya,
Me

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Wow....Ann Taylor dress for a $1! I definitely need to follow suit and drag my behind away from all the shiny things while I'm thrifting, that is amazing!!! You have inspired me to set out on a hunt!! (and if you think you look ragged in the picture with the amazing jewelry?) omgosh, I wish I could look so "ragged." You look great! Have a super day!
♥ Teresa

Patti VZ said...

I love frugal shopping. One of my all time favorite stores is Goodwill. There are some incredible deals there - you would be amazed what people drop off at Goodwill!

Kathi said...

Very pretty Rhoda dear! You look great! I always giggle when I find a designer item for under $3!Takes a bit of time to rummage through but I've found some really nice things at thrift stores too!
Got a cute pair of Yellow Box sandals for $3 the other day!

Puna said...

Rhoda you look beautiful! If I start going to yard sales again, I'm going to blame you.

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love buying things at garage sales and thrift shops but I am not too good with the clothes area...those shoes are so cute!!!

Have a GREAT weekend!!!
sandy toe

Unknown said...

I admit I usually don't look at clothing but will have to reconsider. You look lovely, BTW!

My daughters sunday school teacher once asked her class to total their apparel from head to toe including their jewelery. These were high school girls, and one girls total cost was $2000!

I should do a post on my daughters house.....almost everything came from garage sales. It just goes to show you don't have to be rich to live nice.

Thanks for sharing!

Pam @ Frippery said...

You look very UN frumpy. Just lovely. I had not bought "preworn" clothing before but my daughter needs a white dress to wear for graduation. No print, solid white. Not easy to find and not her style either. I found a beautiful white linen skirt at GW for $3.99! I also picked up a cashmere sweater and tank for $5.00 but they are too big so I am giving them to my mom. Now I am going to look harder at clothing when I am out shopping for thrifted china etc. Thanks for the links. Pam

Hilary said...

I didn't think you looked ragged at all....and your shopping talent is superb!! Shoes and all!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love those shoes!! :) I have one pair of shoes that I got at a consignment sale, and they got me over my fear of gently used shoes. They are a pair of beautiful aqua sandals with "jewels" on the toes...soooo pretty. Who could pass those up?! Not me! :)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I'm always on the lookout for clothing and especially shoes. With the cost of shoes these days, I'd go barefoot (almost) unless I bought at thrift stores and yard sales. It usually the heels and fancy shoes I buy there because, after all, you only wear those for a limited amount of time. My better sandals and day-to-day shoes are usually new.

I have roughly 40-50 pairs of shoes/sandals/boots/trainers (& I'm not embarassed to say it); but if you add up what I paid for them, you'd be amazed. Perhaps I'll do a "Summer Shoe Fashion Show" ala blog!

Anonymous said...

Those are some amazing finds! You look gorgeous and no one would ever guess how much money you saved.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

First of all, you look lovely, second of all you are an amazing shopper!!! Love those shoes.

Do you hit Goodwill much? I go to one near my office and get amazing stuff. I recently got a pair of Lily Pulitzer pants for summer for less than $5 and a cute monogrammed hot pink tote bag for the pool on clearance at Goodwill for less than $2!!!

Mary Ellen said...

I love it! The dress for $1...amazing!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I always, always check out the clothes. I haven't found anything yet for myself but I ALWAYS find great stuff for my two younger kids. That dress is wonderful!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yea, you fashionista, you! You also solve one of the misconceptions that Tall women can't find anything. It's out there and you show it so well. :)
Thanks for playing along.

Still Learning said...

$8 and you look gorgeous!! I also think you look just fine sweated off make up and all. What a great bargain, I just love a good find.

Jennifer

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Beautiful outfit and you look just gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Wow! An Ann Taylor dress for a dollar?! That's amazing. Love those shoes, too. I didn't realize Jen was having a frugal party. I'll have to stop over there and check it out!

Hope you have a great weekend, Rhoda! :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, you are always beautiful to me, and you did well on those bargains! Very nice!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Debbie's Garden said...

Some of my favorite things over the years have been from thrift stores. LOVE shopping there. Been going since I could drop off my son at preschool and go alone. He's going to be 25 this year. Its truly treasure shopping!

Sandra Schwab said...

Rhoda, that dress is just wonderful (love, love, LOVE floral patterns on anything!), and you look beautiful with or without make-up. Thanks for sharing some more of your fantastic finds!

Donna said...

I love your whole outfit! Especially those shoes. And I only wish I looked that good when my makeup is melted. :)
D

Carol said...

Rhoda, I've just started reading your blog, and I must say that I never would have guessed that some of your clothes and accesories come from garage sales. You always look so classy! Like you said, you can find designer and name brand clothing for a song at garage sales and thrifts. I'm so glad you're showing people that it's OK to recycle clothing and shoes!

Beverly said...

Rhoda, you are definitely our queen of shopping and great buys. And, your outfit looks fabulous.

I apologize for sending you the e-mail in error.

Karyn said...

You look great!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

That's great Rhoda! I remember all 4 of us sitting at a fancy dinner on a cruise thinking we were all dressed in clothes that I got from thrift stores..and we looked GOOD! All for about $40 to dress all 4 of us!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I often have people comment on my pretty clothes (or how nice the guys dress).

I get almost everything at Goodwill, the Mission thrift store, and garage sales.

We live in a very affluent college community so I guess we're fortunate that other people pay a lot of money for clothes and then get tired of them. :)

Anonymous said...

Great job! Love the outfit. I've gotten a few second-hand shoes as well. Nothing wrong with that :)

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

WOW!I want to go shopping with you. You got a great deal and you look beautiful! The dress is so feminine. Hugs,Bobbi Jo

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVELY outfit... you can't beat those prices!

{darlene} said...

I agree, you are not frumpy, just lovely!!
fun frugal post!

The 5 Bickies said...

You look terrific and I love the frugal outfit! I love to thrift and yard sale too! Hoping for some good ones tomorrow.

Julie said...

Just beautiful!!! ..and when you are done shopping - you feel like you won the lottery..instead of feeling guilty!

Anonymous said...

Wow you do NOT look like you just came from the gym. Great finds by the way! I love finding Ann Taylor stuff. Thanks for stopping by my blog too.
I'm inspired by all you talented people!

midnight macaroons said...

Great dress. You look stunning!

Niki Jolene said...

That dress is lovely! Ann Taylor really does make nice things and they can often be found at thrift stores around me.

:)

Wendy said...

Good deal on the dress, I thought my Ann Taylor shirt for $1.15 for a good deal, but you win the prize for best deal!

Tracey said...

Great deals - especially love the shoes!

Miss G said...

BEAUTIFUL dress and shoes, Rhoda! Very stylish. I like them a lot. I've enjoyed following your thrifty treasure posts on Mondays too! Thanks! Kelly

Renae Moore said...

I think you look great and what a fab shopper your are! I need to get better at that!
Blessings...

Rose - Watching Waves said...

When some people think "thrift store clothes shopping", they don't realize what stylish, cute clothes they can find. You really find great current looks and at a steal! You look fabulous as always, Rho!

Unknown said...

I love your finds! And you look anything but ragged--you're always beautiful! Love your blog, as usual :D

P/F said...

I'm slowly joining the bandwagon in appreciating thrifted finds. It definitely mitigates the footprint that we leave on this earth if we could repurpose the things we have, or find someone else to make good use of them. ...And your outfit looks great. Thanks for reminding me to look in places I wouldn't normally think to look to find what I need (or want). :)

Deb said...

It is amazing what you can find a thrift stores...consignment stores..and yard sales...I have found a lot of nice things for very reasonable prices...my Mom has a closet full of design names bought at thrift stores...

paintergal said...

I do love to thrift- but I get kinda freaked out about used clothes.
And shoes? Do you clean them first?
You look adorable!

Katie said...

I love thrift stores. Sometimes I find better clothes there then at the mall, I think your look beautiful too.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I am speechless.

:-)

And you look fabulous in it all...better yet!

cotedetexas said...

i was wondering why you were hiding your beautiful face - you looking ragged??? you have to be kidding me. I would vote you the prettiest on the blogosphere. And that BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing I'm heterosexual - cuz you look mighty fine in that dress!!!! Do you even own a stomach???????? ok i am cracking up my heterosexual self. I don't think I've ever even typed that word before!!! hehe good thing is is an old post.