Sunday, May 24, 2009

Today’s Thrifty Treasures

IMG_5114

There weren’t a ton of sales this weekend, but I did manage to spot a neighborhood sale in Mountain Brook. You know, that neighborhood.

IMG_5115

This time of year is so beautiful and with the extra rain, the native oakleaf hydrangeas are looking extra spectacular. I didn’t take pics at the sales, but it was in a very nice wooded neighborhood.

IMG_5149

I spied this still useful wheelbarrow for $5 and had decided that if/when I ran into one of these at a good price, I’d snag it. This weekend was it. This green baby will come in handy for the yard projects.

IMG_5138

A real-like birdie to use in a spring arrangement, was 50 cents. He’s so cute with his little tufted head!

IMG_5142

A very nice in great condition buttah-soft men’s leather jacket for my hubby, was $15. He already has one, but this one fits him better than the old one and at that price, a steal.

IMG_5144

Six acrylic glasses for outdoor use, from my neighbor’s yardsale, $3 for all. Love the colors.

IMG_5147

I picked up 2 of these melamine plates last week at Walmart ($2.50 each) and they will all work together well. I sat them on the Dayspring placemats and love all the colors together. I’m going to continue to scout Walmart for when they put these on sale. They also carry bowls too and I’d like to get more.

IMG_5146

The 5 green napkins were 50 cents each, for a total of $2.50.

IMG_5145

And even though the greens aren’t an exact match with the plate, that’s OK, I like to mix things up. I have other green napkins too that will work with these plates (and those came from a yardsale too!)

Now, if it will only quit raining, we can sit outside and use these!

So, what did you find this week? Add your link to Mr. Linky and let’s have a fun time sharing those treasures. Remember, add a link back HERE so everyone can come to the party and add your permalink (the url of your party post, NOT your blog url) to Mr. Linky. Thanks for playing! If Mr. Linky is acting up this week, just leave a comment about your post and people can visit from the comments. I hear he's not been acting right lately. :) Looks like he is working now!

And check out the Blessed giveaway below too!



1. Mandy @ Great Expectations
2. Deana
3. Life with Three
4. Manuela @ Pleasures of Homemaking
5. Pampering Beki
6. Olive Rue
7. Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
8. Bama Girl in AZ
9. Queen of Fifty Cents
10. Tina ~ Adventures in Decorating
11. Jenn@First Comes Love
12. Donna at Funky Junk Interiors - this week's scores!
13. Linda @Nina's Nest
14. Simply Saving
15. We are THAT family
16. Mandy Dixon
17. Dressing Boys for Less!
18. Kelly W.
19. Andrea
20. Frippery
21. Sara @ Be Still and Know...
22. Brittany
23. Rhonda~Scooterblu's Whimsy
24. Brittany
25. sisters Christina & Victoria
26. Toni
27. Chandy
28. Crafting R&R
29. Karen B.
30. Arlene @ For the Love of it 2
31. Renee @ Cottage Lifestyle
32. Mary
33. DebraK @ Bungalow
34. Frugal Jen
35. Carol @ Old Glory Cottage
36. Cathy @ The Stylish Houses (Whimsical Windows)
37. Terry @ Cherished Treasures
38. Lady Katherine
39. Jackie @ Ms Jackie's Junque
40. My Frogpatch
41. Emily @ too Blessed to Stress
42. Caro's Curbside Finds
43. 3 Small Furniture Pieces
44. Buzzings of a Queen Bee!
45. Caroline@Forever Vintage
46. Wise Old Owl - Deb
47. Debilou
48. A Beach Cottage
49. MN Patti
50. Junk Mammas
51. Carmen
52. Beth
53. Kennesha @ Me & My House
54. Dot
55. Brittany

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

66 friends stopped by:

Deana said...

I love the green plates. That is one of my favorite colors.

I din't see Mr. Link so he must be acting up. Here is the perma link to my post

http://www.alchemyfineliving.com/blog/2009/05/24/garage-sale-finds/

thanks for the fun party!

the Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Hi Rhoda,

I used your lampshade tutorial from 2007 in my Thrifty Treasures post! It wasn't hard at all!

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm sooo sick of the rain! You can't plan anything outdoors these days.

You found a great wheelbarrow! I need one too. Mine has a hole in it!

Manuela

I put my permalink in this post.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I really love those green napkins!

http://pamperingbeki.blogspot.com/2008/06/summer-weekends-are-for.html

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Wow, you really hit the jackpot, I love it all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda -

What a bummer that Mr. Linky is not playing nicely - I really look forward to the Thrifty Treasures. This is going to put a damper on my week....Here is my link:

http://mandyhuckins.wordpress.com/2009/05/24/a-yard-sale-with-benefits/

And I am with you on wishing the rain away. Here in Montgomery, we had quite enough a few weeks ago. Friends who are still trying to repair the flood damage to their homes are now holding their breath.

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great day! Mine started off slow but ended on a good note.

http://theshabbychiccottage.blogspot.com/2009/05/day-of-saleing.html

Bamawhitney said...

Great finds as usual! I do not see Mr. Linky so here is my link to my post:

http://bamagirlinaz.blogspot.com/2009/05/todays-thrifty-treasures_23.html

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhoda. I know what you mean about the yard sales. I think a lot of people were traveling since it's Memorial Day weekend. I didn't see any. But then again the rain has been at it here for the 3 days now.

I love those green plates. Looks like you found some cool stuff. Anyway Happy Memorial Day.

Hugs,
Crystal

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. I just realized I was #6 on your list last week too. Maybe I should go play the lottery tonight. :-)

Michelle@Life with Three said...

The rain has been non-stop in Georgia, too!

Love the glasses -- those are so great for summer. And you're right -- that jacket was a steal! :)

Heathahlee said...

I helped a friend with her "yard sale" (it was actually part of a great big sale our church hosted...each family rented two parking spaces and the lot was FULL) and saw some great chairs I wanted, but knowing I was going to just recover them and paint them, I was not willing to pay what the woman asked. I didn't even make an offer, because I could tell she wasn't going to go for what I was willing to pay! :)

I have gotten into the yard sale mentality, though, and will be hitting them hard this weekend!

Kathi said...

No garage sales for me this weekend. I did get my yard mowed!
Next big project for me is painting furniture! That should keep me out of trouble for a while... love the little "Mountain Brook" bird you found! A wheelbarrow for $5! Now that's a really good deal!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What super great finds. You have really found some great things for the outdoors. Love the plates, napkins and glasses. That little birdie is really cute also. Now a wheelbarrow is always a needed item, so you did really good. Hugs, Marty

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Nice scoring there Rhoda! I always love bringing new treasures in the house! I could play and rearrange all day and had to PULL myself outdoors after my finds this weekend.

Donna

Sherri said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for stopping my blog! Wow! I wish I had gone to the Mountain Brook sale...maybe I need to go next week.

I'm sick of the rain as well.It seems like it has rained here for the last two months and I've had enough! :)

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, I can't believe you found a wheelbarrow for $5. My husband would have been so thrilled with that (even though we have one). Great finds, as usual. You are the yard sale queen! Linda

morethanthestarsinthesky said...

I like those glasses and the plates! They look great together. We didn't go yardsalin' this weekend. Glad you found good stuff!


Amanda

Joanne said...

Great fines! I accidentally reposted the same post from last week. Feel free to delete it. :-)

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Always fun to see what you find, Rhoda! You'll definitely get great use from the wheelbarrow. (Love the hanging planters on the shepherd's hook in the background!) Nice that you found a better-fitting leather jacket for the hubs, too. Aren't those glasses fun? They just say "party!"

Pam @ Frippery said...

Great finds! That wheel barrow was a steal! We have had a beautiful sunny week but rain is expected on Memorial day. May your week be sunny, Pam

AndreaLeigh said...

I found some good stuff this week, so I'm joining in. I love the leather jacket. Great find!

Little April said...

Great Glasses!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Of course I love all those finds! I have a post I am thinking about for tomorrow (Monday) but it means getting my act together to take the photos and then come back here to link up. Here's hoping it will happen, but if not, I do want to party with you gals sometime! :)
Carrie

Free Art Printables said...

Great thrifty treasures Rhoda! jen

sara@augustfields said...

Rhoda...the wheelbarrow is such a great deal at $5.00!! I'm loving 'thrifty treasures' and am off to peruse everyone's finds :) thanks for hosting!!

CanCan (Mom Most Traveled) said...

I'm from B'ham too, and I tend to shy away from the Mountain Brook sales because I have noticed that rich people tend to think quite highly of their junk! Us middle class folks know that yard sale t-shirts go for $1 or less, but the upper class ones have to be convinced!

;)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda, Can't wait to see what wonderful tablescape you create with the pretty thrifty napkins, glasses, and plates! I know it will be beautiful!

Hope you are having a wonderful Memorial Weekend! ~hugs, Rhonda

The Tattered Cottage said...

Love the green plates, I have tumbler glasses in the same color from WalMart. I'll be looking for the plates now too. :) The birdie is too cute, I picked up two little white ones while out thrifting. Hope you are having a great weekend. I really love Today's Thrifty Treasures and seeing what everyone gets :)
Thanks,
Toni

Christina said...

The glasses and jacket are great finds, but I think you hit the jackpot with the wheelbarrow. Wow! $5.00.

Hope you have a great Memorial Day. We are participating this week! Thanks for doing this. It is really fun to participate and fun to look at all of the wonderful finds others have found.

KarenB said...

I posted my thrift store finds from last week. So, not quite garage sales, but good deals anyway. I think your little birdie is a quail, if I'm not mistaken. In case you wondered. BTW, I'm using your instructions for painting a chair. It's coming along nicely. I'll post pictures later this week, I hope.

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Hi, all. I'm new to this site, and will probably not be posting yard sale finds for quite a while, being temporarily financially-challenged. However, I have discovered Freecycle and we have a very active group here in Vegas. I am so excited to post things I need to get rid of, and equally excited about my "free finds." Within the past month, I have "found" a bag of yarn for my crafts, a paper cutter I needed badly but was not prepared to buy, some Janet Evanovich paperbacks I dearly love, and more.
I can't wait until I can do yard-sale hunting again. In the meantime, I will enjoy watching you all have fun.
Hugs
Evie
http://www.evelynmayfield.etsy.com
http://prayersncrafts.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Hi Rhoda, I'm back from my trip home to England - it was perfect and the loveliest Spring I can remember - hard to leave! I'm posting on my countryside outings so you can see how pretty it was.

Looks like you are still finding great bargains. I had hoped to get to some 'car boot sales' at home - but didn't have time. Oh well, the suitcases wouldn't have held anymore stuff!

Hope it dries up soon there - we've had clouds all weekend but no rain yet.
Hugs - Mary.

Cottage Lifestyle said...

Rhoda, great buys. Stop by and see what I hauled home.

Renee

Mary said...

You find the best things! I love the bird and how useful the wheelbarrel will be and a bargain for 5$.
I love how you tablescape is coming out with all your finds.
Thanks for hosting this each Monday, it's alot of fun!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, That's a great old wheel barrow you found and a great color too. I think that bird is a partridge. I have 2 and use them at Christmas.

Love the patio dish collection you got going.

I didn't get much this week but you sure did, as usual! Go girl!

The Stylish House said...

Hi Rhoda,
It is finally warming up in my part of the country. I am ready for the garage sale season after a long cold winter~
Cathy

★Carol★ said...

What a pretty summery table you have set! I think it all goes together beautifully! Thanks for hosting again. I've met so many nice people since I've joined in here!
Carol

Terry said...

Good morning Rhoda! I hope you are having a safe Memorial weekend! Thanks for hosting Today's Thrify Finds - it's so much fun to see what people are finding!

The Stylish House said...

Rhonda,
I must be Monday!! I am so sorry I messed up when linking to Mr. Linky. The correct post is as follows. Cathy

http://www.thestylishhouse.net/2009/05/dimensional-monogram-picture-project.html

Lady Katherine said...

Great find on the wheel barrel! My daughter took an old old one and tipped it on it side and planted flowers in it. Bird is cute and love those green plates.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Wow Rhoda...It always amazes me what you find...and for WHAT price. I suppose if I went to garage sales I could find some goodies too. I just don't ever seem to go! Sigh.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I LOVE a good garage sale......it's all about the thrill of the hunt, isn't it??? And, finding things you didn't even KNOW you needed! :-)

Happy Memorial Day.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

So Sunny Day said...

Hi Rhoda!

I'm back again for my second monday treasures. I just love how you share your finds and give us a chance to connect with other bargain huntin gals. thank you.

Stop on by if you get a chance!

Blessings, Emily from too Blessed to Stress

Kimberly said...

Wow - great finds! That wheelbarrow is in really good shape too. I keep promising myself if I spot one at a good price I'll grab one too but so far just broken down ones that should be in the dump.

Love those plates!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Thank you so much for stopping by and weighing in on the dining room color. One of my reservations with the orange wall color was the furniture color so I was so tickled that you agreed with me! I love your style and greatly value your opinion. I try to be willing to compromise with DH but I'm so picky he should know to just roll with my gut. In the end it saves him on work because if we do it and I don't like it he will just have to redo it - hee hee. Thanks again!

Helen Joy said...

I just found your site and am in HEAVEN! I called like 10 of my bargain shopper friends to tell them about you. I'm adicted to yard sales/goodwill. I always find the best stuff, but my husband never cares too much for me to show him:-) I draw it out and really take my time tell him why it's such a good deal.
Anyhow, I will definitely be participating next week! Thank you for the fun new outlet for me
:-)
Love Helen Joy

Caroline said...

Thanks for doing this...I love checking out everyones treasures! I love yardsales and junkin! My blog url is below. Everyone is more than welcome to come and visit and drop me a line or two!! htt://ckaspardlov.blogspot.com

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

I love going and finding treasures but its just as fun to see what others find, ,Thanks for hosting. Love the wheelbarrel.
Have a great Memorial Day.

Debbie
www.countryborn-n-bred.blogspot.com

Patti said...

Rhoda, after reading everyone's blogs and seeing all the treasures you've all found, I decided I needed to get in on the fun as well! I just hope I can find the same kind of success in finding some great deals!

Patti
www.mnpatti.blogspot.com

Carmen said...

Hi Rhoda! I found your blog a couple of weeks back and I love it! I never thought I'd love to go thriftin but I did this past weekend. I am hooked. Thanks for the inspiration.
Carmen

http://queentomas.blogspot.com/2009/05/thrifty-ness.html

Unknown said...

I love the acrylic glasses. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

Hope you had a great weekend...
Love the little bird you found.

Have a great week!

Beth

Joyce said...

Thanks for reading my blog and glad someone read the nail post. Please pass this information along to all your friends and family. You may save a life.
Joyce

Caro said...

Hi girl!!
Love that little bird, how cute is he?!!!
And those acrylic glasses are just so cool, totally scream SUMMER for me. BUt i especially love the colour combo on them. Hum. Now I want to use it to decorate a room in my house LOL!!

Caro said...

Shoot, stoopid mr linky!
Yesterday I added my link and checked out about 1/3 of the links people posted.
But today, I come back and Mr linky is gone!

so here's my post for anyone interested:

http://carothrift.blogspot.com/2009/05/todays-thrifty-treasures-may-25.html

Deb said...

wow Rhoda you got some really good buys...love the wheel barrow...I bet you will use it a lot....couldn't live without mine

Unknown said...

Rhoda,

I didn't find much this weekend. Some canning jars.

I found the cutest market basket but made it even cuter.

http://accomplishedwoman.blogspot.com/2009/05/sewing-market-basket.html

You did find some really cute finds.

Cynthia

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like you had another successful yard sale day. Did not get to join in this Monday, but hope to be back next Monday. Hope you had a great holiday weekend.
Glenda

Miss G said...

What a GREAT find in that wheelbarrow! And I LOVE those napkins! Kelly

Cathy said...

I'm late, but I got mine up (first time every joining it.) So excited to look at everyone's finds!

Here's mine!
http://andtheneight.blogspot.com/2009/05/thrifty-finds.html

Perfectly Jenn said...

Better late than never!!

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

I love the plates and glasses. Great find! Here's what I've uncovered in the past two weeks:

http://www.moneywisemoms.com/2009/05/yard-sale-treasures.html

Anonymous said...

i want those glasses! now hand them over!!! :)

dawgyah said...

I just shared my very first estate sale finds...I was inspired by your blog! Actually the last 2 posts cover my weekend. When your first find ever is a beautiful antique rocker for a steal...well, I'm afraid I am addicted. Dh isn't thrilled.

dawgyah said...

Oops, forgot to add my link:
http://evidenceoflifeonmars.blogspot.com/2009/05/can-spending-1050-be-defined-as.html

Sofia Striffler said...

Rhoda, Great finds this week. Where did you end up putting the cabinet. I can't wait to see. I like the bathroom idea. Thanks for visiting my blog, have a great day.