Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Growing your own vegetables

IMG_5357

Since we moved here over 3 years ago, my hubby has diligently set out tomato plants and we have managed to enjoy a few each year, not a huge harvest, but several tomatoes of our own. I got really spoiled growing up, since my dad is a major farmer and has grown tomatoes since I was a little girl. Many years of fresh home-grown tomatoes. If you have never tasted a home grown tomato, you are missing out on something special in life, I promise you. I’ve been waiting patiently this year for the tomatoes to start ripening, looking for that red to start appearing, which means something BIG around our house. Can you guess what that is?

A fresh home-grown tomato sandwich! Oh man, do I love those or what?

IMG_5358

I’m so proud of Peter. He has hung in there with the tomatoes and this year they are looking better than ever. I think the soil had to get better conditioned, but now 3 years into our gardening, his tomato plants are huge and full of tomato clusters. Just like my daddy grows!

IMG_5614

Not stopping at tomatoes, though…my hubby even bought some fencing and added pole beans to our front yard (insert eye rolling here). I had to laugh. I’m sure the neighbors think we are some kind of Jed Clampett neighbors, but that’s OK. When we are eating fresh beans soon, we’ll be the ones chuckling to ourselves. I do have plans for some landscaping in this area eventually (it's in dire need of it), but in the meantime, pole beans it is. :) He’s also got some squash and cantaloupes planted in the backyard.

IMG_5351

Not to mention the blueberries I told you about in the front yard. These 6 plants are doing great and we’ll even have some ripe blueberries shortly to enjoy, as all of them have several clusters of fruit already.

IMG_5356

The blackberries are just getting started in the back, but we hope to get these trained and maybe by next year, we’ll have some fruit like Petals from the Past features. The most amazing blackberries you’ve ever seen, which I told you about here last year.

IMG_5355

There’s my resident farmer now, petting the next door neighbor’s dog.

IMG_5585

So, back to the tomatoes. They are getting ripe now and we’ve eaten our first tomatoes of the year. And I’ll tell ya this, it’s SO great to go outside and pick a tomato and slice it up for dinner.

IMG_5605

And the time came for that first tomato sandwich of the summer just this week. Loved it!! You can bet I eat a bunch of these every year. So, do ya’ll love tomato sandwiches too or is that just a Southern thing? I can just about bet that those of you raised in the South know all about them. :)

IMG_5613

Had to try out my vintage plate with a ‘mater sandwich and some chips.

Ain’t nothin’ better, my friends!

Joining Jen today for Tasty Tuesday.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

114 friends stopped by:

abeachcottage said...

Hi Rhoda

are there people who haven't tasted home grown tomatoes? I really hope not and as you say one of the true pleasures in life and so easy to grow not needing too much attention just some sun.

I've had a lot of success with simple salads too especially rocket.

blueberries and blackberries, so so divine, gotta love some blackberry pie

only wishing I could stop by for a homegrown tomato sandwich - it's not quite that warm here in AUS

Sarah

Daisy Cottage said...

Oh heavens... YUM!!!
Peter - you did good!!
What a gorgeous tomato!

xo,
Kim

brokeintrovert said...

I'm from the Midwest. I love tomato sandwiches. Your tomatoes look delicious. I love that you mixed vegetables and fruits into your landscaping. It's charming.

Kristin said...

I LOVE tomato sandwiches! No one ever understands why I don't put cheese in with them but I like it better with just tomatoes! And you're right..homegrown ARE the best!

I think i'm going to go get me a tomato plant for my apartment at the Farmers Market this weekend :)

-Kristin

mother of three fellas said...

I'm right there with you!! We picked our first tomatos Sunday and made BLT's so yummy!

Gardens are work, but oh, so worth it :)

Anonymous said...

I've never had a tomato sandwich. I assume there's just tomatoes with preferred condiments? It sounds like it might be a bit soggy, but good!
Yes, there are people who have never had a fresh tomato. Think of all those people in the middle of a city without yards or even a deck to put a pot on. And nowhere near a farmers market or with a way to get to one.
Ann

brokeintrovert said...

RAW TOMATOES WITH BASIL AND ONIONS



Pasta alla checca Serves 4

This style of pasta can be found all over Italy in the summer, when tomatoes and basil are at their peak. In Rome it's called pasta alla checca. What does alla checca mean? No one has ever given me a satisfactory explanation. The sauce should be made in advance, but if you're going to hold it for more than a couple of hours, add the basil only an hour before serving. The raw salsa clings best to curly fusilli or small pasta shells.

Look for the very best, ripest, fullest-flavored tomatoes in local farmers' markets. There's just no point in making this dish unless tomatoes are at their peak. But when they're at their peak, if you're like me, you'll want to make it two or three times a week.

Some cooks sharpen the pasta sauce with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, added with the oil.

Also have a look at summer pasta without onions, and with optional mozzarella.

6 medium (1 1/2 lbs) ripe, red tomatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
2 medium red onions, halved and thinly slice
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb fusilli or conchiglie
6 quarts water
OVER a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients except the pasta, cut the tomatoes into small pieces and mix them and their juices with the garlic and onions.

TEAR the basil leaves into shreds and add to the bowl.

ADD the salt, pepper, and oil and toss to mix well.

COVER the bowl with plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator until ready to use.

COOK the pasta in boiling salted water.

WHILE the pasta cooks, rinse a pasta serving bowl in hot water to warm it.

REMOVE the bowl of sauce from the refrigerator and uncover it.

AS soon as the pasta is done, drain it and turn it into the warmed bowl.

IMMEDIATELY pour the cold sauce over and mix well. Serve at once. Makes 6 servings



Nutritional Data, per portion
Calories 504 Carbohydrate 71g Saturated Fat 3g
Protein 12g Sodium 65lmg Monounsaturated Fat l5g
Fat 21g Cholesterol 0
Source:
The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook
Nancy Harmon Jenkins
Broadway Books

Diane said...

What, you mean not everyone eats tomato sandwiches? For Shame! Lord, those pictures are making my mouth water. Unfortunately, it's a little early for ripe tomatoes in Louisville, Kentucky. My tomatoes are still small and green. I envy you!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

We planted a TON of tomatoes this year and I can't wait. I just picked our first zuchinni and squash....so fun. Yea, for your hubby! He's the man!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Rhoda, you are making my mouth water. There is nothing better than a 'mater sandwich in the summer. Or a plate of sliced tomatoes. Yum!!!! I read an old post about your parent's place in Murphy. It could be a carbon copy of my folks. Small world, isn't it? My folks live in the city where I do, but have a mountain home in NC too. We spend a lot of time there in the summer. Dad grows blueberries, as well. They have a porch swing and everybody loves to sit in it. I love zipper peas, but I doubt many people know what they are. Your Dad and Mom look just precious!!! I know you have some fond memories of times spent at their mountain home, just like I do of spending time with my folks at their mountain home. Enjoy those yummy tomatoes. They are close to being ready here. Thank goodness. I also love BLT's in the summer when tomatoes are in season. Have a great day. Love & blessings from NC!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while, but this is my first time commenting!

Love, love, love tomato sandwiches! Just a little mayo (Blue Plate, thankyouverymuch), and some salt and pepper. If I have a little extra time, I toast the bread a little before making the sandwich to make it even more special. My husband and I have passed this passion of ours on to our kids - they always smile when they hear that I'm making tomato sandwiches!

Yes, I'm southern - grew up on the MS Gulf Coast, currently living in Louisiana. :-)

Jowanna

Aisling said...

We don't have any tomatoes yet, got to wait another few weeks. I have been using salad leaves and radishes from the garden though.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

We have green tomatoes and can hardly wait, for ripening, sometime around the 4th of July. That's usually when we have the first tomatoes. Although, one of our kids has had ripe cherry tomatoes already. They always had their own tomato plants as children. They carry on the tradition of the cherry tomatoes and now our g'kids are getting into it. They also grow the big tomatoes.

One of my all time best memories of childhood is going to the garden getting a big ol' red tomato, grabbing the salt shaker from Granny's kitchen and sitting out under the hollyhocks,eating that wonderful tomato, still warm from the sun.

We have had tomato sandwiches. Also BLT's are heavenly with "real" tomatoes! Wow..I haven't had breakfast! This is making me hungry!

PS: J just told me he wants to go garage saling Friday!!

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Your tomatoes look GREAT! We just signed up to get organic produce (all local) delivered, our first delivery is on Thursday. I wonder if there will be any tomatoes in the box.

And yes, tomato sandwiches are awesome. I love them on baguette with just mayo. Perfect.

Blondie's Journal said...

You are so lucky to be getting ripe tomatoes. We can't plant ours until early June when the weather gets warm (they love the sun and heat). I just planted eight tomato and basil plants at the lake. We love caprese salad and we do make a sort of tomato sandwich here in the Midwest. A great breakfast is a thin layer of butter on toast with tomato slices and a few pieces of bacon. Heaven. Try it if you haven't.

Beans in the front yard? Go for it!! Peter sure seems to have a green thumb!

Happy Tuesday, Rhoda! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Nothing better than homegrown!! :) We love a tomato, cucumber, & red onion "salad". Just slice and layer the veggies, then cover in italian dressing, or a balsamic vinagrette, chill & enjoy! It's a great side dish when we grill out. We've been lucky enough to have family and friends who grow veggies and share with us, but Hubby wants to have his own garden next year!

All Things Cherish said...

I couldn't agree more! There's not much that tops a tomato sandwich! Can't wait to get fresh ones from my parent's house so I can start a tomato sandwich diet!! : )

Try toasting your bread if you don't already...that makes them even more divine!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I picked my first tomato yesterday. Mater sandwich here-I-come!

Sandi McBride said...

I am so jealous! We have a ton of tomatoes and not one ripe one yet! But soon my pet, soon...I will be eating a sink sandwich and a smile will be spread ear to ear!
Sandi

Betsy said...

Only two things that money can't buy...and that's true love and homegrown tomatoes.

LOL

I love tomato sandwiches with mayo. Has to be Duke's. Nothing finer, that's for sure.

randee said...

oh what beautiful tomatoes! i'm allergic to all raw fruits & vegetables. just 1 bite of a tomato turns my lips inside out but i sure do love them. i can eat cooked fruits & veggies though.

we just got back from s. carolina & enjoyed baby yellow squash. the zucchini & cucumbers & string beans were ripe, too. we just finished planting flowers here in ohio right before we left & everything was in full bloom there.

loved the pole beans in the front yard. i thot they were sweet potatoe vines for a minute.

eat a tomato for me, will you?

randee

trish said...

Yes indeed!! Nothing beats a tomato sandwich - with your own fresh tomatoes - right out of the garden! We are patiently waiting for ours to turn red! Your blueberries look beautiful! And just wait until you are enjoying those delicious green beans!! :o) I want to try to plant green beans next year. This is our first year for a garden (I posted a couple of days ago) we are learning as we go. You are so blessed to have had a daddy for a farmer!! :o)
I hope that your days is a wonderful one!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Willoughby said...

I've never had a tomato sandwich, but I do love a fresh picked tomato!

Anonymous said...

A roommate in college introduced me to tomato sandwiches. I thought they sounded disgusting, but after one bite, I was hooked. They are a wonderful treat in the summer, but using home grown tomatoes is a must!

grannyann said...

Oh how I LOVE bacon and tomato sandwiches!!! Your tomatoes look wonderful. I have some planted but they are blooming yet. I eat so many in the summer I almost "acid" out. Your berries look good also but tomatoes are the BEST.

aguhmom said...

sweet friend - thanks for starting my day off once more on a wonderful note.

Note to self & others; don't forget
to plant basil to go along with those jewels of summer - then add
fresh mozzarella to make lovely
healthy salads or sandwiches !

"Summertime.....when the living is
easy..."
hugs to you - patti

Stephanie said...

I love tomatos. My favorite way to eat a tomato is whole. A tomato in one hand & a salt shaker in the other hand. Sprinkle & chomp! Just like eatin an apple!

Amanda.Sedeno said...

You Lucky Lucky Woman!! I LOVE homegrown tomatoes. They are the best!! Sandwiches and hot sauce are my fave!!!

Becky said...

I grew up eating tomato & tomato/onion sandwiches in Illinois. Heaven! Can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen out here in California.

Anonymous said...

I am so ready for a homegrown tomato sandwich. I love them and now I reall am wanting one. YUMMY!!!

Jennifer said...

Your tomatoes are looking fabulous as does that tomatoe sandwich! We are patiently waiting on ours, but when you are using them while their still green (fried green tomatoes) it takes longer for the red ones to come in! This is the first year that we have planted a large garden, so we will see what it brings us.

Have a wonderful Tuesday,
Jennifer @ Fiddle Dee Dee

Keyona said...

Wow! Those look so yummy!

Karen said...

This is my first summer Not growing our tomatoes. I will be gone the entire month of August which is when they are at their peak in my yard, and they will just rot away. No one else will bother to pick them. Lat year I had to have 3 of my neighbors come!
I did have myself a little chuckle at the pole beans right at the front door. Men. Hey, at least he's lovin' it.
And to be very truthful Rhoda, I have never had just a "tomato" sandwich before. BLT. Tomatoes on all else, but never just a tomato sandwich. Can you share a recipe for us "non-southern" gals? Cause if I use Paula Deen's there will be an entire cup of mayo between 2 pieces of bread, and my diet will be ruined. LOL
Great post! Thanks for sharing! Karen

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

Oh, honey! This southern belle knows all about tomato sandwiches. Your pictures just make my mouth water. Our tomatoes aren't quite ready yet, but they're coming right along and I'm ready!

Kelli said...

I am salivating this very moment. There is nothing like a home grown tomato!! Simply delicious!!

g.suzie said...

Hi Rhoda, your pictures made my mouth water!!! We are at least 3 months away from harvesting anything from our garden, with the exception of some berries. . .nothing better than fresh veggies and fruits, I can't wait. . .

A New England Girl said...

Your vegetable/fruit garden looks absolutely wonderful. We are in the midst of moving right now, and the one thing I am craving about finding a new place to live is the ability to finally start planting things [although it may be too late by the time we're settled]. For now, I will happily live vicariously through you and your garden. It all looks divine though! Hope you enjoy those tomatoes... I'm hungry just looking at that sandwich! :)

Alicia

paperjunk-lc said...

I believe tomatoes are short of being a religion in the south. You have me craving a mater sandwich. Have you ever had it with sourdough bread oh yea baby!

Embellished Bayou said...

Oh, I so wish we were able to grow our own veggies & fruits, especially blueberries. I don't think the strawberries I planted this year are going to make it!

akawest said...

While I have never eaten a tomato sandwich, I have had the joy of eating homegrown tomatoes. My neighbor used to bring me bags of tomatoes. I never had much luck growing my own. Maybe I will try when we again have a yard. If your husband can do it, so can I...I hope!

Joanna said...

This was our first year at growing anything...We started with tomatoes...We just now got our first bunch picked the other day...So good, and so much better then store bought. I am planning on making tons of pico de gala so that not one tomato will go to waste.

Sue said...

There is NOTHING better than a tomato sandwich from the garden!!! I love the beans...they don't look bad at all. You will be enjoying green beans before long. I'm sure your daddy is proud of your hubby!

Keely said...

Homegrown tomatoes are my favorite part of summer. I'm so sad as this is one of the first years that because he has too much going on, my dad hasn't had a garden. I haven't quite mustered up the courage to try to grow them on my own...your post makes me want to plan to plant them next summer.

the undomesticated wife said...

I totally agree about the 'maters. They are so flavorful and so sweet when you grow them at home. The store bought ones are bland in comparison.

I've got squash, sweet 100s, romas, bell peppers and poblano peppers. The tomatoes aren't doing that great this year. Not sure why. But the peppers are going CRAZY. And of course we have a blackberry bush that the previous owners planted. I've tried to kill that thing so many times, and have dug it up by the roots, yet it returns in full force every year. I only try to kill it because it's in a terrible location. And the birds always get the berries before we do. Oh well. :)

Sherri said...

LOVELOVELOVE Tomato sandwiches! Also,I recently saw a recipe somewhere for Fried Green Tomato BLT...REALLY want to try one of those!:)

Oh,I've been meaning to ask you,since you come to Pell City sometimes,have you ever gone to Elijah's Barrel? If not,you have to go the next time you're in town.

Whitney Caroline Designs said...

This reminds me of the vegetable garden we had when I was little! And now you've got me thinking I just have a tomato sandwich for lunch today! Oh look, it's lunch time!!! Yum!

Brandi said...

I've been harvesting Romas for a couple weeks. Yummy!

Cherri Engle said...

Love me some tomato snadwiches. But I am from the South. Can't wait to pick some from my own plants. Mine aren't as far a long as yours are. They look good.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Wait, one can grow their own blueberries?! YUM! I wonder if they'd grow in Kansas? Hmmm... I'd love that.

My tomatoes are looking gawgeous, but not red enough to pick just yet.

And do you put the chips ON your sandwich?! You should. :)

Bear Girl said...

I don't think tomato sandwiches are a southern thing. I live in Indiana and grew up on them, however, my mom's family is from Georgia and Alabama so that may explain it. People don't know what they are missing if they haven't tried them...a little mayo and add some salt and pepper...YUM!

Michelle said...

I spent many years of my childhood living in the south and we loooooove tomato sandwiches. My oldest daughter was born at Ft. Rucker, Al and even tho she didn't get to grow up there (army brat), she loves tomato sandwiches too. :)

Even though we're currently renting a house (while waiting for our other home to close next week) we still have a small garden in pots, wheelbarrows and wagons.

Anonymous said...

Nope it's not just a Southern thing...I grew up next door to my Grandparents and they had a HUGE garden, name it they grew it...and they lived well into their 90's. They always had tomato sandwiches and my Grnadmother used to make an onion w/ mayo sandwich too.

We grow tomatoes we won't have any for awhile...I get a kick out of picking them and you're so right can't beat a home grown...

We are huge on bruschetta...my recipe is:

diced toms
olive oil
garlic powder
black pepper
tiny bit of sea salt

put that on some sourdough bread HEAVEN !!!

Happy gardening...

Kathy :)

Its So Very Cheri said...

Yummy--You guys ought to try growing lettuce. We grew some that was so good and so easy-I'm pretty sure it was Black Seeded Simpson. You clip it and it comes back in a few days. You need to clip it early in the morning or it has a bitter taste. We would go out and clip a plastic grocery sack full, wash it and put it in the fridge and have fresh salad for dinner. It looks pretty too.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Well, I'm happy to hear that most of you LOVE those fresh tomatoes too! And I had a feeling that other parts of the country had gotten in on the heaven that is a 'mater sandwich!:)

For those of you who haven't tried it, it's SO simple. Fresh loaf of bread (I know there are purists who ONLY use white bread), but I'm a wheat bread girl, so that's what I use. Mayo on both slices (I use light) and sliced tomatoes with salt & pepper, that is it! That is YUM between 2 slices of bread.

Kathy, we also love bruschetta & I do it much like yours, but don't forget the fresh basil. That's crucial! I have made it a lot. Toasted Italian bread piled high with fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper. Another YUM moment!

Anonymous said...

Your post made my mouth water, lol. I just *LOVE* tomatoes and tomato sandwiches are a favorite at my house.

Natalie said...

I just LOVE tomato sandwiches. Have you ever had tomato pie -- another yummy summer treat!

I can't wait until my tomatoes are ripe and ready to eat! Good times ahead.

MomMom said...

Thanks for reminding me of good ole' tomato sandwiches!! Our neighbor always gives us tomatoes through the summer and gave us several yesterday from his garden just in time for tomato sandwiches for me for lunch!!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Beautiful Maters' Miss Rhoda! Now, I need a mater' sandwich! Nancy

Patti said...

Rhoda: I'm so jealous . . . we planted tomatoes, green peppers and acorn squash las year. The rabbits ate my pepper plants just after they bloomed; the tomatoes and squash fared a little better though. Just don't have time this year for a garden but I'm planning for next year for sure! That 'mater sandwich looks yummy too! Have one for me.

Patti

Abbie said...

I'm not southern, but LOVE tomato sandwiches ... my mouth is watering here in Kansas, but I have to wait at least a few more weeks for fresh tomatoes here!

Mary Ellen said...

LOL! You sound just like my Momma. She loves her tomato sandwiches! I'm more into the other Southern delicacy - banana sandwiches!

Rose Broadway (Rosie) said...

I'm jealous! Here in Missouri our tomatoes are green and about the size of ping-pong balls. But, we're gettin' there.

I like a little bacon and lettuce on my tomato sandwich. Can hardly wait!

Candace said...

Ah, we are soon to enjoy our tomatoes. The wait is almost unbearable. Your's are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Loved your blog. Hope to be back soon

Christina said...

Mmmmmm, I think BLT's sound mighty nice about now. That is what seeing your home grown tomatoes make me think of.

Love the vintage plates you found. Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Great looking sandwich on a great looking new plate! Elizabeth H

Anonymous said...

We don't have ripe tomatoes yet, but I am so looking forward to them. I love mayonaise and tomato sandwiches. I don't add any seasonings whatsoever. I also like it on white bread, not whole wheat.

My tomatoes aren't ripe, but I just put the first green beans of the season on two cook. I will also have coleslaw from cabbage from the garden, onions, cucumbers and fried potatoes. Yum yum! Doesn't get any better. Isn't it great to be a southern girl?

SandiLee said...

I just had a tomato sandwich also - the ones my daughter and I are growing have not ripen yet -so had to purchase a couple from the local farmers market, but I like the white bread - can't go the wheat - just not the same -
Love your blog

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

OMG! You already have ripe tomatoes????? I'm so jealous! It'll be another couple of months before we get to enjoy our first red ripe tomato. My favorite recipe using tomatoes is a tomato tart. Oh so good!

Beverly said...

Amen! I haven't had my first tomato sandwich of the summer yet, but my taste buds are all set.

Sue said...

Walk out to the garden on a warm summer day ~ spy a bit of red hanging in the leaves, pick that tomato, and bite down into it. Warm, red juices run down your chin. Nothin' better...

Sherri said...

Hey Rhoda,
Elijah's Barrel is a thrift/antique/general store with decor and pricing from a "by-gone era".
If I remember correctly,they now have 4 separate locations(different kinds of merchandise in each)around a block wide radius.
I've been thinking about doing a post on it for some time so maybe this week,I'll go there and take some pics.I'll let you know if I do.:)

Kimberly said...

I've lived in SC my whole life, but my parents never ate tomato sandwiches, so I didn't know about them until I got married. I'm a little funny about mayo, so I use cream cheese instead; that plus one of hub's homegrown tomatoes: oh man, is that good!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

We are growing tomatoes for the first time. But ours haven't ripened up yet. I've never had a tomato sandwich. Not sure if I would like just having tomatoes. I'm a meat kind of gal. Need to have some meat with my tomatoes.

duchess said...

That sandwich made my mouth water. Off to the farmer's market I go.

Anonymous said...

yummy

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Wow, y'all have got a garden goin' on!! :) We only have 3 little tomato plants right now, but we'll get there someday. ;)

Richella Parham said...

Oh, yes. Home grown tomatoes. You're right: ain't nothing better!

And I notice that your tomato sandwich is on wheat bread. This is good; you're being a good eater. But I do hope that you still eat your baloney sandwiches on white bread. Please tell me you eat baloney sandwiches sometimes.

Reading your post makes me wish I could go back to the Irondale Cafe. Yum, yum.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, I LOVE tomato sandwiches! Ours aren't ripe yet. Mayo and pepper...that's good. Speaking of gardening, check out my giveaway.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh those veggies look wonderful!

I could really go for a sandwich like that right now.
sandy toe

Trica (Tree' - ka) said...

I'm completely jealous! I checked my tomato plants and I'm just starting to see green tomatoes. It will be a while before I get to enjoy my favorite: Bacon & Tomato Sandwiches! That's it - I'm heading to the farmer's market!

tintarosa said...

Wow! I'm impressed. My tomatoes are being eaten by birds before I can get to them.

Robin Lambright said...

OMGosh! I am weeks away from my first matter! But I got a very late start. But I am eagerly waiting for my tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, squash and peppers to come in.

Nothing beat home grown!!!

Blessings
Robin

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Long time no see!
Missed your blog. I know you are as busy as I am. I can hardly keep up right now. Anyway just checking up on your blog. Love tomatoes! Yes we do that in California as well. Although I love a caprese salad.
Enjoyed your thrifty finds as well.
Come visit me sometime.
Rosemary

Richella Parham said...

Hi again Rhoda--

Okay, no more bologna for you. But you have to admit: if you're gonna eat baloney, you need white bread. I don't keep bologna around the house either, but I do have good memories of stopping at a little country store and having the storekeeper cut off a nice slab of bologna from the "chub." Did you ever do that?

BTW, do you ever get bread from Big Sky in Mt. Brook Village? It's owned by our old neighbors in B'ham, Jeff and Patty Pierce. Nicest folks you'd ever want to meet. Of course, B'ham folks are almost all nice. Reading your blog always reminds me of that!

Shar said...

that settles it, i am going to have some tomatoes right now! yours look to die for, yum...

Laura said...

Oh Boy Rhoda! You just got my taste buds going... I am originally from NJ and there is nothing like a Jersey Tomato summer sandwich. Sorry .. Im in Florida now and they just ain't the same!!!

A New England Girl said...

2nd comment of the day...

Left you an award over at my blog. Hope you enjoy it! :)

We've Got Scents said...

You are so right, 'nuthin' bettr':)
Blessings today and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Carry Grace said...

Yum, tomato sandwiches of one of the best things about summer.

Nissa said...

We love tomato sandwiches down here! (I'm from Alabama too, just much further south). I just planted some grape tomatoes a couple weeks ago, so for now I get all of my fresh produce from my mom's huge organic garden & the local farmer's market.

HollyM said...

Oh how I miss my very own beefsteak tomatoes fresh from the garden, still warm from the sun!!
Are you a Hellman's gal, a Miracle Whip lover, or just using butter on the sandwich? - - HollyM

SoBella Creations said...

I have three tomato plants. They have done well so far. Two of them will have to be replaced. We got so much rain the poor plants have rotted. But, we did get quite a few tomatoes from them. I hope to plant another veggie next year.

Beth said...

my mom's family is from southern ohio (portsmouth, ironton, south point area). that tomato sandwich is somthing they all talk about eating in the summer time. except they would but butter on theirs. meat was something they only had on sundays after church & then the leftovers always went into a soup with tons of veggies. come tues/wed it was veggies, fruit & bread the rest of the week. occasionally they would have cheese if they ordered extra milk that week from the "milk man" which was the local farmer. oh to live a more simple, yet more rewarding life.

CJ'SMOMMY*KIMBERLY said...

I'm in TN so of course "ain't nuttin like a mater sammich". My dh doesn't like them though.Doesn't like tomatoes period.Yes he was born and raised here but not raised right,lol.
My other favorite is fried green tomatoes!!!!! With some pinto's and cornbread,mmmmhmmm.Who needs meat?

I don't know what it is,prolly a grandma's touch but still to this day my meemaw grows the best tomatoes.She grows early boys and girls.

Leigh said...

There is nothing better than a tomato sandwich, lots of pepper, and real mayo (not salad dressing) on white bread! My favorite summer lunch!

Leigh

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Who knew that talking about mater sandwiches would elicit such a strong response from all you girls. I love it!

Holly, to answer your question. I'm a mayo girl, actually I use light mayo (no Miracle Whip, can't stand the stuff). I don't have a strong preference on brand, but usually get Hellmans or Kraft, whichever I find on sale. No butter on mater sandwiches for me either! No way!

Caroline said...

I love,love,love blackberries Rhoda!..my favorite berry. I bet there is no comparison to homegrown ...I have to get mine from the grocery store as I don't think they are grown here in Canada. I want to thank you for hosting thrifty mondays. I am enjoying meeting so many new bloggers and seeing what treasures everyone is finding.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

MMMM...nobody does fried green tomatoes like the south! I live in CA and can't find anything like that I experienced when I ate down south. =)

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

I live up north and we love tomato sandwiches...(light) Hellmans, salt and pepper! mmm! But our tomatoes are just flowers right now, so I am jealous! We have to wait 'til late July and August-unless you want to ship some on up!
~Nancy

Mary said...

You really have a great garden going this year Rhoda - I'm craving fresh tomatoes and beans, I love home grown.
This season we are giving the ground a rest - we didn't have much luck last year between voles and much used soil, we need a break. Also, we're off on two long trips in July and when that heat arrives we have nobody who wants to water veggies!

Happy gardening - yummy eating!!

Anonymous said...

I am from the south, also. I know it is summer when I have a tomato sandwich and an ear of fresh corn for the same meal!

Renae Moore said...

Rhoda!
I'll be right over! My DH had tomatoes last year, but hasn't been home this year to plant them, he did manage some peppers though, every hot variety you can think of. Your tomatoes look so yummy!

Free Art Printables said...

I am so jealous you already have tomatoes! Jen

Rose said...

Oh yeah Rhoda nuttin' better than a mator sandwich! Like I said before you and I posting similiar things again. I've been posting about all my veggies I have been canning for about 2 weeks now and even posting pix of it all. lol I am getting close to being finished with it all except for some peas. I just canned some green tomato relish today and man that stuff is GOOD! Will be awesome with my peas. lol
Love that plate with that mator sandwich in it. :)

Picket said...

Oh my word girl...my mouth is watering!!!! There is nothing better than a homegrown tomatoe sandwich!!!!! We have some planted out back also and I am watching them like a hawk waiting for that first red tomatoe! lol lol There is nothing more spirit lifting than walking out into your own yard and picking fresh vegetables that you have grown yourself...we even have some Husky Cherry tomatoes planted in huge barrels ...there is 37 little tomatoes on just one plant alone! Each time one of those little beauties gets ripe I am worse than a drug addict...I run out and snatch that little beauty off the vine and run back in the house..wash it off... cut it in half...add some salt...and slowly savor every second it is in my mouth!!!! lol lol

Hey I love the pole beans in the front yard...ohhhhh don't you know they will be fantastic with some new potatoes and cornbread and ...ohhh lordy..this is killing me!!!! lol You go girl...put on your bonnet and grab a basket and get out in the 'gsrden'! Have a great week girl!

Marfa (formula for a life) said...

A tomato sandwich is probably one of the most delicious, delectable sandwiches ever! I like to toast my bread on a skillet with a little bit of olive oil and some garlic powder. I add a little mayo and a big ole slice of tomato with some seasoning and I'm a happy, happy girl! Ok, good thing that lunch is coming up because I'm hungry and my mouth is watering now.

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

One of the best things you can eat in the summertime,, unfortunately our 3 little plants look awful,, but I stopped by Donnas Produce yesterday and they had some of the best tomatoes,, so that's what we had for supper ,,,, and for breakfast this morning,.. I love how you redid the table. Looks good!

joyh82 said...

everything looks so fresh and delicious. I remember as a kid eating so many fresh picked blackberries that I got a rash from them...lol

Desiree said...

Yum! That sandwich looks great!
Hey, how did I miss that post from long ago about the "Home Grown Tomatoes & Red Sauce" Looks delish too! Our tomatoes are just about ready, maybe another day or two...I can barely wait!
Enjoy your harvest!
Desiree

Tanya said...

Yes, tomato sandwiches are a Southern thing, I live in Southern California and LOVE them! With lots of fresh ground pepper like your picture...YUM!

Restoration House Interiors said...

I love this post, Rhoda! OMG! I love home grown veggies and enjoyed reading this post! I am also in love with that nightstand and thanks for the details! Love you bunches!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

there's nothing like a fresh, homegrown tomato - i like mine sprinkled with a touch of sugar. my father in law eats them stewed on rice. i hear that's a southern thing, too. (i'm from SOUTH dakota. but that's not south like ya'll...)
~karin

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

"I’m sure the neighbors think we are some kind of Jed Clampett neighbors..." HA!

Garden looks fabulous. I wish we had the room -- I'm relegated to herbs in pots by am grateful for the local farmers' markets. I just made very, VERY tasty blackberry scones...I adapted a blueberry scone recipe from Cook's Illustrated and I have to say they were DELISH! I highly recommend. :-)