Sunday, June 28, 2009

More Thrifty Treasures



IMG_5700

It was a pretty slow weekend for me this time. I think the heat is getting to all of us about now. This week's finds are not that many and were all over the place, starting with this framed watercolor of legendary Alabama football coach, Bear Bryant, whom my hubby loves and reveres, so this is now in his office. It was $10 and I’m not positive, but think it might be an original. It sure looks like it could be when I took it out from behind the glass. It’s signed by artist Peggy Sherry, who I found out is from Kentucky and is a portrait watercolor artist. That’s about all I found out about her, but I’d say she is quite talented. This is a wonderful rendering. I would think if it was a print, it would be numbered.

This picture really completes the wall of Alabama football memorabilia I have been adding in there, one yardsale treasure at a time. I think it looks pretty snazzy and it makes the hubby happy to be surrounded by his beloved Roll Tide!

IMG_5701

At an estate sale, I found this little blue jar for $1, another to add to my blue collection.

IMG_5702

At the same sale, this large bird feeder was $6. It’s all cedar and has weathered outside already. I thought my hubby would like it, but he doesn’t want me to fool with putting it up outside since we already have a bird feeder, but I have an idea for it. I might even clean it really good and bring it inside and use it up on a shelf somewhere. I've got an idea about putting a plant in it & taking out the plexiglass. The roof is my favorite part.

That’s all I found this week, except I did find a Wilson tennis racket for $1. I was just talking to a friend of mine at the gym about playing tennis sometime and since I sold my old tennis racket before we moved here, mentioned that I’d have to get another one. So, yardsales it is and for $1, I can stand that and didn't even have to look hard for one. Once again, it seems that when I need to find something, there it is! And cheap. That's my favorite part about yardsales.

So, link up YOUR finds to Mr. Linky and let’s see what everyone found this week. Remember to link back to THIS post from your thrifty post and be sure to add your permalink (your thrifty post link) and not just your blog link. Thanks for playing!

As summer continues with this brutal heat we are having, I think my enthusiasm may start to wane for getting out there every weekend, but if I don’t get out there, I’ll continue to have the party through the summer for those who still want to participate.



Todays Thrifty Treasures Participants
1. Joan@anythinggoeshere
2. Pat@Back Porch Musings
3. Queen of Fifty Cents
4. Kimba@A Soft Place to Land
5. Rhonda in OK
6. Carol @ Old Glory Cottage
7. Christina at Yardsalequeen
8. Nicole@BugaboosCreations
9. Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking
10. MelanieElissa
11. Mary
12. ThriftyAnnabella (Friday)
13. Karen@SavingTheFamilyMoney
14. Linda @Nina's Nest
15. ThriftyAnnabella (Saturday)
16. Gwen @ Murphy Grace Home
17. Susie Q
18. Toni
19. RELUCTANT ENTERTAINER What's Your Style?
20. Debbie @ Plate Addict
21. Kammy-Small Home in the Country
22. Debra@Bungalow
23. Gina
24. A Beach Cottage Wardrobe Love
25. Melissa @ Huckleberry Prairie
26. Suzanne in TX--Drexel Buffet
27. Brittany
28. Brittany
29. A fellow G.R.I.T.S, Reid
30. worldgazing (clocks and silhouttes)
31. Maggie Elizabeth
32. Sandy@CoppernThings
33. Christy @ Embellished Bayou
34. Kelly @ Ruby Begonia
35. Lori @ Chateau of Serenity
36. Bonnie@Cottage Hideaway
37. Beth @ Soanywaytoday
38. Sarah Robbins
39. Michelle@Dei Gratia
40. Susan@thecozychickadee
41. Tina @ Enchanted Rose Studio
42. Vanessa @ Vanilla Lavender
43. Brooke
44. Kristen ~ Pajama Mama
45. JEN@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
46. Shirley Corwin
47. Nissa @ Sweet Paisley
48. Quiltpiecer @ Goodwill Haunting
49. Caroline@Forever Vintage
50. Carmen
51. Jadehollow
52. Cher
53. Amy Lynne
54. Sullivan and Murphy
55. Tyler
56. Sara @ Be Still and Know
57. Charlene @ A Virtuous Woman (old mason jar)
58. Lisa S.
59. Pigtown Design
60. chris @ free range furnishings
61. Myra @ Happy Housewife Living Life
62. Brittany
63. Sandra
64. Lady Katherine
65. Lady Katherine
66. Diana
67. Msslaydbug
68. Julia
69. Shery
70. Carrie - Oak Rise Cottage
71. Merrie
72. Tana@ Crafting R&R
73. Renee @ Cottage Lifestyle
74. Amanda @ Serenity Now (FREE Stuff from Trashy Neighbors)
75. Kelli @ JOY
76. Beverly @ The Buzz
77. Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training
78. Grannyann-Weekend treasures
79. Cathy @ Then There Were Eight
80. Courtney
81. Christie
82. Paulsbride - boy stuff
83. Stephanie @ A Fine House
84. Joy@joysofhome
85. Monica
86. Pam @ Mayhew Mayhem
87. Amanda
88. C @ Project Pretty
89. Patricia@ In My Free Time
90. French Cupboard
91. Bill
92. Kim @The Pottery Shed
93. Victoria & Christina
94. Shara @ monkeybox
95. Kim-Starshine chic
96. Callie@ Adventures in Stay at Home Wifedom
97. The Gaines Gang (Junk? What Junk?)
98. Cheryl@the coolest mom on the block
99. Amy - A M O R R I S
100. The Shabby Chic Cottage
101. Cass @ That Old House
102. Our Daily Chocolate ~ Anna Sophia
103. Vanessa
104. Sullivanandmurphy
105. Jo - To a Pretty Life
106. Rhonda~Scooterblu's Whimsy
107. K@Thrifty Teacher Blog
108. Stephanie
109. The Queen Of Re
110. Brenda Eason
111. Brandy @ Bargain Bon Vivant

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

79 friends stopped by:

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

I love the birdfeeder. Great find for $6. Happy Monday.

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Love that blue jar, what an unusual shape! Have fun with the tennis. I've been playing tennis on my Wii...and sometimes I even win!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

The painting is fabulous! That is quite a find.

The birdfeeder is wonderful. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

The yard sales in our area start to slow down in June and don't pick up again until September, for the most part. I don't know how many bargains I'll find, over the summer.

We had a little cool front come through last night. Temps in 80's feel so good after what we've had recently. We even had lunch on the deck, today. I hope this sticks around through the 4th.

Kimba said...

A couple of great finds! Great painting!

Garage sale season is still in full swing up here...only because we get a later start than you southern gals.

Kimba

Rhonda said...

I grew up in Texas but I sure know who Bear Bryant is, what a man!

I am sure your hubby will enjoy that print in his office as he remembers some those great football games.

Carole said...

Came over from Joan's blog. Your thifty things are great. Will try to participate sometime in the future!!!!
Love your blog!!!
Carole

★Carol★ said...

I love that feeder, but I definitely see some possibilities too for using it inside. A fern would look great in there! That blue jar has a cute little shape to it, too!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Rhoda, I know that picture of Bear is so special to your hubby - especially signed. Both of our kids went to Auburn and we have seen the fierce rivalry of those two schools. Not even Ga/Ga Tech) can hold a candle to those two! Oh, love the bird house. Will look forward to seeing what you will do with it! Linda

Gwen said...

I can totally picture that bird feeder cleaned up and in the house!

Sandy said...

I always enjoy your pictures, Rhoda.

Great finds, as usual.

All the pix I took WERE yard sale finds (getting rid of), before you and I even talked LOL!

Have a not too hot Sunday. xo

Nicole A. said...

Love that watercolor and it looks awesome there! Great finds, I love that little blue jar!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Rhoda! I know your hubby will love the Bear Bryant picture! Love that little blue jar...unusual shape! Can't wait to see what you do with the bird feeder! Have a great week!...Debbie

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda,
Love that birdfeeder. I don't use them anymore because they are so messy but that one sure has potential. Great finds!
Bet your H loves his wall.

Anonymous said...

Just a thought but maybe you could use the birdfeeder as a frame, with special photos of your family in each of the four plexiglass sections?
Like you, I'm kind of garage saled out for a few weeks. There was one a block away yesterday and I had no urge to check it out.

Runner Mom said...

You found some great things, Rhoda! I believe that painting of Bear Bryant is the best! Roll Tide! (Only for today!!!! It'll be "Go Gamecocks" in the fall!!)

Hugs,
Susan

Suzanne in TX said...

The bird house is so sweet--I agree that it would make an awesome planter.
Save the plexiglass and spray paint it with Chalkboard paint, frame it, and you have several instant message boards!

Kammy said...

Hi Rhoda !
What a find on that painting - it looks like it fell into perfect hands ! You always do so well - do you buy anything new ? LOL !
Hugs ~
Kammy

blushing rose said...

Love the painting ... one can never have enough bird feeders! That one is great!! TTFN ~Marydon

Embellished Bayou said...

Can't say I'm a fan of the Bear Bryant picture (geaux tigers!) but you got some great stuff!

Mandy said...

What a treasure! We Southern girls know legendary football coaches are tops!

Bonnie said...

Great finds! What an unusual shape jar, I've never seen anything like it!

Brandi said...

WOW! I can't believe you got that print at a yard sale!!! My hubby LOVES Bear!

Michelle said...

I am so envious of your Bama memorabilia, especially the portrait of Bear Bryant. What a score!

Salmagundi said...

Great finds especially the picture. Stay cool and have a great week. Sally

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

The bird feeder looks like a cupola. Do you have a garden shed to put it on the roof?

akawest said...

You're such a great wife, adding to your husband's decor. :)

VintageSunshine said...

Hi Rhonda!
I've followed your blog for a while, but have never commented. The Bear picture brought me out of my shell. I live here in Alabama, not far from you at all! Had I found that picture I'd have my father a Christmas present already! Haha! He's a HUGE fan!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda! What a great find on Bear Bryant!! Hubbs must be thrilled! Price is right on the jar and the birdfeeder!

Thanks so much for hosting and sharing your fabulous finds!

Have fun playing tennis! My favorite sport. Was pretty good a few years back! Great exercise!

Tina

Kathi said...

No thrifty finds from me this week but I did enjoy seeing what everyone else found!
You really scored on that Bear Bryant print! It looks great with your other Bama things!

Roeshel said...

Might not be much - but still great finds. The jar is my favorite but the painting is pretty neat too and who doesn't love a bird feeder?

I was the one holding a yard sale this weekend, so no treasures for me but I did declutter. Yay! I'll have to enjoy everyone else's finds this week. Can't wait to check them out.

Have a great week!

Gwen said...

You know I just had to come back and thank you for Thrifty Treasures. I am having so much fun checking out everyone's finds that I am getting next to nothing done!

Wait, the buzzer is going off for my pork chops...have to take a break!

Nissa said...

I am an Auburn fan, but the rendering is very nicely drawn :)It was too hot for yard sales here too, so my treasures this week were strictly thrift store.

Mary@Boogieboard Cottage said...

Those are some pretty great finds. Artwork is something I wish I was more knowledgeable about as far as value. It sounds like your painting might really be worth something. I love yard sales, my grandmother got me hooked on them when I was very young. :O)

Quiltpiecer said...

I'm a new blogger (only 1 week) but have been following your posts! Great blog! I'm excited to be joining the party and look foward to seeing everyone's thrify treasures. Love the birdfeeder - that was a great find!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I love all jars! :) That portrait is really nice even though I don't know who he is. Whoops. haha

I am actually participating this week. Yay me!

Jadehollow said...

Love the birdfeeder! Yes I agree.. The Bear completes the wall. Can't believe you found it that cheap in Alabama.. in Ga yes maybe even cheaper lol but not Alabama.
Happy Monday,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

This is my first time linking - hopefully I did it correctly :)

I love seeing everyone else's "treasures"!

Tyler

Sandra said...

Great little finds, Rhoda! I like the bird feeder.
Blessings,
Sandra

Sue said...

Rhoda, I think you made out once again! I'm sure your hubs truly appreciates your gift of the Bear Bryant picture. The blue jar is both so uniquely shaped and pretty. At first glance, I, too, thought the bird feeder was a cupola! Let us know what you do w/it. Sue

Renae Moore said...

Rhoda,
I know your hubby must be thrilled with your "find"!
I look forward to seeing what is up your sleeve with the bird house!
Blessings...

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your little blue jar is so cute!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Love the Bear Bryant decor and the color of the wall too!

That is the cutest jar for only a dollar!
:) Diane

Pigtown*Design said...

I went to a great sale this weekend... the seller is a floral designer whose creations grace some of the top art museums in Baltimore and some of the most posh parties! I got an glass vase etched with parrots, three reproduction julep cups and some beautiful silk peonies... all for $20!

Jenny said...

Great finds. That portrait really completes your husband's collection!

I can't wait to see what you do with the bird feeder!

Lady Katherine said...

Love the jar! Love your idea for putting a plant in the bird feeder!

Lady Katherine said...

So sorry put the wrong link in.

susan said...

Rhoda--So glad I stopped by. Even as an Ole Miss fan, I love your picture of Bear Bryant. Everyone loved him, Alabama fan or not! Maybe one day soon I can find something thrifty to post about :)!! I'm afraid I don't have much luck, but thanks for sharing your finds!

Carrie said...

The portrait looks great along with the other treasures, and the bird feeder roof is a wonderful design.

Merrie said...

Love the homage to the Roll Tide and of course love the blue jar.

Keep cool!

abeachcottage said...

well I think the jar and the feeder were worth it...those slow days are a bummer!

thanks for hosting tho, I just sat down with a beer and am off to get envious of all the finds

sarah

Jennifer said...

Great finds.....even if there is an Alabama print included..... hehe
I do love the blue jar though. There are so many uses from practical to creative with the blue jars.
Have a wonderful week,
Jennifer @ Fiddle Dee Dee

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Good morning, Miss Rhoda! I feel like I'm late to the party b/c you have so many great links this week!

I love the blue bottle you found, and I know whatever you decide to do with the bird feeder, it will be fabulous. :) The Roll Tide collection is impressive!! :)

Have a Happy Monday!

Kelli said...

Can't wait to see what you have planned for the bird feeder!! The blue jar is too sweet. I know it's happy with it's new friends!

Unknown said...

You always find the best stuff! Love that little jar--I found one very similar (if not exactly the same) recently for $.50. Don't know yet what I'm gonna do with it, but I love it!

sara@augustfields said...

Rhoda, you found some great things! Bear Bryant watercolor certainly is the gem of the week i'd say! It looks perfect on the wall with your collection :)

Christie said...

That jar is really awesome- I love the shape!

Courtney said...

That's great Bear Bryant stuff. I grew up in a little town right outside of Anniston and he certainly is a legend.
Blessings!

Joy said...

Hi Rhoda!
I finally got myself organized enough to join your party. Thanks for hosting such a fun party every week! And thanks, again, for taking the time to share all of your wonderful advice with me!!!!!

Stephanie said...

Rhoda
Love the care & love you have put into making your husband's office special for him. Now that's love!

The blue jar is love too.

Pam said...

WOW, what a great find for that picture! i just completes the wall! Great job!

Thanks for hosting! :)

Patricia said...

Great finds!
I love the coach picture and the jar!
I am so loving jars these days!

Thanks again for hosting... I love participating!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Love the art work-Wow what a find
Cheri

Joanna said...

Love the little jar!!

My family (not the 4 of us) but extended are huge Bama fans! Tailgating like no others...Crazy!!

Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements said...

Hello, Rhoda, from a brand new inhabitant of Blogland. I just started this adventure last week, with great support from the wonderful Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. I very much enjoyed seeing all your fun finds and treasures -- it's exciting to know that I've found a place to play show-and-tell and learn from so many like-minded, friendly people. I'll be a frequent visitor. Stop by and see me sometime, OK?
Warm regards, Bill

Kim @ The Pottery Shed said...

The birdfeeder is great. Have you thought about maybe putting a candle in the center?

Victoria said...

Good ole Bear Bryant! That's a really cool picture and I think it looks wonderful in your husband's office.

Love the birdfeeder too! Who say's you can't have 2 in the yard? :)

Shara said...

I've fond my DH a lot of fabulous (and what was once very expensive) Arkansas Razorback items at yard sales. We live in the same city as the UofA, so I find lots of unique things for his collection. Pacifies him while I drag in all the JUNK I got for myself! ;o)

Dirt Princess said...

Rhoda I must say that out of ALL of the BAMA rooms I have seen in my 30 years...I have NEVER EVER seen a BLUE Bama room, isn't that a cardinal sin to paint a Bama room blue? Or are you "trying" to show us your "true" colors????? My hubby FREAKED when I painted our laundry room aqua, and the kitchen terracotta because it was too close to orange/blue for him...but I am the interior designer, not him...so I don't really care what he thinks about my paint choices! LOL!!

marmielu said...

Rhoda, that jar is really interesting. I also collect jars, especially with the pressure sealed tops, but I have never seen one that shape. Fun!
Mary Lou

Cass @ That Old House said...

I love that you found something for your husband in your thrifting travels. :-) Lucky guy!

BTW I love the little blue jar -- unusual shape!
Cass

Christina said...

Love the Bear Bryant picture you found. My dad is an Alabama boy and we grew up knowing the words "Bear Bryant" and "Roll Tide." I'm sure your husband was thrilled to have the picture added to his office.

I also love the birdhouse. Can't wait to see what you do w/it.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

You always find such great things when you go garage sailing! :-) I know your DH just love his office with the sports memorabilia! Can't wait to see what you do with your feeder! Susan

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

The heat is pretty tough here in NC, too, so I haven't been to as many in the past month. :(

....Great finds for your husband's collection! ~Rhonda :)

Designs on 47th Street said...

Rhoda, you got a steal on that birdhouse! My goodness that is a cute one! I know the picture you found for your husband made your heart race.

I will have some finds to share next week.

Mimi from Peachy Papaya said...

I love that bird feeder... and for $6... Awesome.

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

I admit I know absolutely nothing about football but I am in total awe of that portrait. It is amazing! I am mesmerized by the lines on his face and the plaid on his hat. She is a very talented artist and the fact that the subject is someone your husband admires makes it even better! :)

We've Got Scents said...

Great finds. My FIL & sister would LOVE your "Bear-Bama" room!
One day I'll have time to get out and 'shop around' these sales and hopefully join in the fun!
Blessings always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I can't help but spot that Bear Bryant cola bottle, LOL!

And that GLOBE! It's fabulous.

Miss G said...

What a neat Alabama wall. It looks fantastic. My husband is a huge Steelers fan and I found a little Steelers thing for him this week. It's fun to make our husbands happy, isn't it?

The blue jar is a really unique shape. That's neat.

Kelly