Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Shabby Cabinet

What a crazy couple of days it's been! I got around to visit most of you from the Monday Thrifty party and then we started having some major computer problems. My hubby has been working on it for the last two days and I think we have it all fixed now, but I have been offline for the most part. Seems to have been a wireless router problem, so now we have a new one. Good thing he knows how to do all this or I'd be out of commission. And I got a new widescreen 20" monitor too out of the deal, since my old one had developed a strange line down one side. This big one is great! I can really blog now. :)

So, on to important things now!

IMG_5359

Ya’ll voted. I listened. The shabby cabinet is now in the downstairs guestbath. I was dreading putting this up, but it ended up being one of the easiest projects I’ve done, so I thought I’d share with you how I did it. I amaze myself sometimes. :) I know from experience how projects can go and I fully expected this one to go downhill fast. My bag of tricks: Hammer, stud finder, large screws, drill, tape measure. First, with a large piece like this, you have to find the studs in the wall, so that’s what I did right off the bat. Found those and put a nail in them. Measured to see how far apart they were and made a note of that as I drilled holes in the back of the cabinet. The cabinet had those big honking silver screws that you see above, but I had some that were a little smaller, so I opted for those. They still stuck through the other side with plenty of grip power once I hit the studs with them. I measured down from the top and from the sides to figure out where I wanted the cabinet to sit once it was up there and placed my drilled holes accordingly. I promise you, math is not my strong suit, but I will persevere with a project until it is done. Even if I have to make one or three holes along the way. My mantra is: so what if there’s an extra hole (or 3). I can fix that with putty. Or it will be hidden anyway. I get away with a lot thinking like that and it works for me. And my hubby never looks over my shoulder, so that’s good too.

IMG_5363

So, I used the black screws which were a little smaller than the ones that were with the cabinet. I figured I could wrangle with the smaller ones just a little better. I pondered and dreaded and then I just went for it. The thing is really heavy, so the first thing I did was take the door off so I could pick it up without worrying about breaking the glass. Plus that made it a bit lighter. Smart move! I got it into the bathroom, did my calculations, drilled the holes for the screws, got the placement figured out, found the studs, etc. So, I was ready to begin. Had no idea how it would go. Dread, sweat, anxiety. OK, I can do this. Now, you ask…why didn’t you ask your hubby to help you. :) Well, I just know how that goes, he is not nearly as patient with these things as I am and will throw in the towel if things don’t go smoothly, so if a project can be done by little ole me, then I just stick to that. I can talk out loud all by myself if it’s not going well, as I’ve been known to do many times. My favorite word is crap in these instances.

IMG_5360

Once I figured out where I wanted the cabinet to be after I held it up to the wall and saw where the screws would hit my pre-drilled holes in the wall, I saw how much space was underneath down to the top of the toilet. Huummm, I said to myself, I believe a paint can would fit under there and be my helper.

IMG_5361

Perfect solution! The paint can stood in as a holder and the cabinet rested on it until I could get the screws secured. I used a little pliers to get them screwed all the way into the wood stud. Ten minutes later, I was done! Yipppeee! I had to go tell my hubby how brilliant I was. He was proud. And he didn’t have to help. Pulled out the paint can and it didn’t fall off the wall. Double yippee!

IMG_5362

So, it’s up and looking good.

IMG_5364

Screwed the door back into place and it was ready to decorate. I put the plates back above, as well as my yardsale bird up top. He was $5 by the way, last year.

IMG_5399

Went around the house and found stuff to put in here, cause you know I have plenty to spare. Of course, with my vast collection of seashells they were perfect to add to the shelves and I stole a few things from the bookcase in the beachy guestroom.

IMG_5397

Plates and bird.

IMG_5400

It’s kinda fun to shop your own house.

IMG_5368

Bath sign from Homegoods last year, all the rest of this was yardsale finds, including the shells.

IMG_5373

IMG_5369

Large blue bowl was a Homegoods find too. Dried hydrangeas from my yard.

IMG_5396

Little blue crackled box is also from Homegoods, all the rest, you guessed it, yardsales. Picked up those olive shells on the beach at Gulf Shores last Fall and found the bottle at a yardsale.

IMG_5395

All this was yardsale finds too.

IMG_5394

Driftwood I picked up at the beach.

IMG_5398

I love this shabby piece and it’s big. Really looks good in here, so thanks ya’ll for urging me to put it here. It really is perfect, plus I didn’t want to have to move anything in the kitchen or diningroom. :)

IMG_5401

I think this is the most rustic piece in the house now.

IMG_5376

Monogrammed shower curtain from Ballards.

IMG_5377

And you can see how it looks with my shabby towel holder I got at Stray Cats in Irondale. I really love this bathroom. My hubby’s comment when he saw it: I’m glad it’s not my bathroom!

Really, he’s very supportive of my compulsive yardsale shopping habits and is happy that I have a fun outlet. And he loves it when I find good clothes for him, espresso machines for $3, and $5 wheelbarrows. Hope you enjoyed the tour and how it all came about.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

114 friends stopped by:

Unknown said...

You did a wonderful job! I like doing things on my own and/or letting the girls help me. I think young ladies need to learn these skills to know they can do it themselves.

I do have a question, though. Would you share some of your display tips? Yours always look pretty & yet relaxed, a perfect combination.

Have a sweet day!
Gina

Patti VZ said...

It looks great! I love your variety in decorating it too. GOOD JOB!!

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Rhoda,
Your shabby cabinet is perfect! I love how you have everything displayed so pretty. Any tips on how to arrange things? *smiles*

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

You've been a busy girl!
Now that I am home I am trying to catch up with my bloggy friends. I was nearly a month without good internet service... talk about withdrawls!
Now I need to get my days and nights straight~ ciao!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

See, I need you! I find the amazing things and then never put them up. Yes, I terrible like that. You've inspired me to put some holes in my wall. :)

akawest said...

> I amaze myself sometimes. :)

You amaze me all of the time! My daughter has already decided that she wants a blue bathroom in the new house. Three guesses from where the inspiration sprung.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Looks fab! I love the bit of shabbiness in there.

I can totally relate to you about the husband thing.....Totally

The paint can was a good idea. One time I used a stack of books. It worked too.

Anna said...

it looks great! all the accessories you picked out are perfect

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Perfect spot for it and perfectly accessorized! Good job!

paintergal said...

Rhoda, it looks great!
You go, Girl. :)

Heathahlee said...

You did a great job, all by yourself! That would look so good in my bathroom that I'm about to redo. Well, I've been "about to redo" for about a year now, but still. : )

phillips phamily said...

LOVE it! The bathroom was my uncast vote as well and It turned out great. What an inspiration to QUIT waiting for my husband to help me with projects! He'll thank you!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Wow!! It looks great Rhoda!! That was the perfect spot for it! Love it! So charming and chic! Hugs, Vanessa

Dawn said...

I absolutely LOVE that cabinet!!!! It looks awesome!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

You go, girl :)!! Love the cabinet in there, it looks fabulous!!!

Still Learning said...

That cabinet is just perfect. I just love those personal touches around a home. It's so easy to buy something new and expensive but truly I just love that eclectic look of timeworn beauty and elegance. LOVE IT.
Can I just say how impressed I am that you do so much without your hub's help? I have a personality more like your hubby.... I get easily frustrated so usually I just begs hubs to do it for me. Luckily he indulges me most of the time, ha ha.

Busy Mom said...

Love, love, love the sabby cabinet!! And I also love Stray Cats. I may have to pop in while I am in town this weekend!! Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite stores!!

Cheri said...

Rhoda,

It looks great and I never in a million years would have thought to put something like that in a bathroom, good job.

This is a compliment...I am a very minimal person and you are one of the few people that I find can put lots of items in a room (even a bathroom) and have it look so good. I just love it. Maybe I will be a little bit more adventurous with my decorating in the next house.

Cheri

Amber said...

I love it! Great job!

Pam said...

I think it looks fabulous in there! Kudos to you for getting it hung all by yourself. You go, Girl!

Nancy said...

Excellent! I'm impressed and inspired to do more on my own. It looks wonderful.

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
southerninspiration said...

aaaahhhhhhhhh, looks perfect! love it!

Suzanne

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Okay, now I want one! You made it look so fabulous!!

Amy

Angie said...

Looks just perfect! Now you are making me want to repaint and redo my bathroom to like yours!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Rhoda, I love it!!! It really does look great in there. :) I like all the accessories too. Kudos to you for putting it up yourself. I need to learn too, but math is REALLY (really!) not my strong point. Measuring makes me nervous. Great job!

Vanessa said...

The cabinet is perfect in the bathroom! I'm sure you're glad you found that one! Thanks for sharing!

Marie said...

Oh my word Rhoda - that cabinet is fabulous! And I love the arrangement of things you put inside. What a special piece!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Lori E said...

Now that is really my style at home and the style that would fit in at our cabin.
What a great piece it is.
I always try to do the projects myself from painting to lighting but run into trouble with the weight of the projects. The paint can was a perfect fit for you. Well done.

Jimmy_C said...

As a general contractor that specializes in home/commercial renovations: the paint can and five gallon bucket are used on a regular basis as an extra set of hands. Good thinking!

chris said...

That looks great! Very beachy.
Chris

Cindy said...

Oh my goodness lady! Awesome!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Looks fabulous, Rhoda!! This bath looks to be about the same size as ours at the lake. The set up is the same, except we have a two sink vanity. This gives me all the incentive I need to ramp up the search for a shabby cabinet similar to yours, for our bath!! I love how you accessorized it. I love shopping the house!!

Stacey said...

It looks great Rhoda! That was no small job by yourself. Brilliant to use the paint can.

When I'm by myself and fussing, I say "crapola"!! Makes me feel better. :)

A New England Girl said...

Wow- that cabinet looks amazing! And it fits so very perfectly in that bathroom. I have visions of you residing in a seaside cottage on Nantucket when I look at that bathroom (although I am sure your house is simply lovely where it is) :)

I think I may have to switch my allegiance: instead of being a mini-Martha Stewart wannabe, I might have to be a mini-Rhoda wannabe. :)

Have a great day!
Alicia

Natalie said...

Wow! You did an unbelievable job! Pat yourself on the back for having done it solo -- I am impressed. I love how you give complete step-by-step directions on how it was done -- complete with verbage "crap"! :)

Have a Happy Day!

Tara G. said...

My grandparents had a lot of those glass toppers from power lines. Looks beautiful!

Kimberly said...

It looks beautiful. Your experience sounds a lot like mine, down to the many holes later, and to the favorite word "crap" because things never go as planned. But, the Valspar can to support the cabinet was a great tip. I will be sure to use that in a next project.

the pleasures of homemaking said...

O.K. your husband is very funny!! You are amazing girl! I love your attitude and approach. You are definately a "stick to it till it's done" kind of person!

I love it in your bathroom and I think the beach accessories look so perfect with the weathered look of the cabinet! That was no easy job putting it up yourself and it came out so great!

Manuela

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

Love it! I have a question about your mirror. I know you added the trim around the large flat mirror. I would love to do that in my master bath, but I have no room on 1 side and the top. Did you attach directly to the mirror face, or did you attach to the wall around the mirror?
Thanks!

grannyann said...

What an absolutely neat job. I love the old weathered look in the bathroom and the things you put in it are perfect. Great job, wish it was in my bathroom.

Rebekah said...

Perfectly shabby. Beautifully staged. As usual. :)

Karen said...

Wow, I love that cabinet and that is a perfect place for it! Like Stephanie at Fine House, I too am curious about the frame around your mirror. How was it done?
Love your bathroom,
Karen at Pine Cone Retreat

Juanita said...

Love it! I'm hoping that it has inspried me . . . I have a bathroom medicine cabinet (oak) that doesn't have the shelves (I accidently threw them away in the box). Any ideals for what I could do with it???

Have a great Wednesday, and come visit when you can.

Kristi said...

It looks BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT there!! I was goint to ask what your hubby thought of it based on his opinion of other shabby type things you've done. LOL, wasn't surprise on his reaction. Well as I said, looks good, to me! :-)

Its So Very Cheri said...

It looks wonderful. I must say I also LOVE your towel holder/shelf-that is so cute.

Cheri
www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Simply Fab-u-lous Rhoda!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That looks even better than I imagined! The entire room is just gorgeous. Love it!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Rhoda, it looks fantastic!!!

Joanna said...

Oh how beautiful! I want one too!!

Suzann said...

LOVE it. I have just the spot for one at my house.

Melissa Marie said...

This looks perfect... and fits perfectly in the space! Love how you decorated it! :)

Deserae said...

Absolutely perfect! Love how you have it accessorized too!!! Your downstairs powder room is one of my favorite rooms :o) ~Des

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow, adorable! That cabinet is much larger than I originally thought it was. I LOVE how you accessorized it! So pretty!

Donna

Richella Parham said...

Oh, this is just wonderful! Thank you for showing us what you did with the cabinet. I don't think it could have turned out better.

On another note, I wanted you to know that I referenced you in a post that I wrote today. One of your posts from last year was really inspiring to me. I provided two links: one to your blog home page and one to that particular post (about your guest bedroom redo). If you want to check out my post, go to http://impartinggrace-richella.blogspot.com/2009/06/matter-of-taste.html . It's always an honor for you to stop by.

Blessings!
Richella

Michelle said...

Rhoda, you ROCK!!! Looks fabulous!

From the Old InkWell said...

Rhoda, LOVE LOVE LOVE it! You did an awesome job. Your special touches on the display shelves are just perfect. I studied them! :)

I'm going to the beach next week and you've inspired me to look for shells. Hope I come home with a car load! I don't think you can have enough.

midnight macaroons said...

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest bathroom shelf I've ever seen. Looks adorable, Rhoda!

We've Got Scents said...

So thankful your computer woes are over!
I LOVE the cabinet. Will have to check yardsales out to find something similar. You did a fantastic job as always, congratulations!
Probably a dumb question, but how do you dry hydrangeas? Any help would be greatly appreciate. I bring them in and love them, but they don't last long fresh, so I'd love to 'dry' some if possible.
Blessings today and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Kathi said...

Kudos for doing it herself!
Love the cabinet! You found a whole jar full of olive shells?!
Wow! I only have a handful...
I'm in awe of how much you get accomplished Rhoda! Great job!

Robyn said...

It looks perfect!!

Diane said...

With God's help, we are more capable than we think .

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You find the BEST stuff, Miss Rhoda! That cabinet is delicious!

tiarastantrums said...

gorgeous - can you just come by my house and put all the finishing touches in each room? (hee hee)

Brandi said...

The cabinet looks great!

Unknown said...

I Luv it! You are awesome. Let me know if you hire yourself out; I have lots for you to do at my house!

Nancy

blessings said...

Oh your cabinet is just lovely! I bought a scrappy ole thing intended for my bathroom but it was just a smidge too long. ugh! I guess I have to keep hunting... :)

Blessings.. Polly

Tammy518 said...

I love the new shabby cabinet! You've loaded it up with lots of pretties. I want to come visit so I can use that bathroom!

Em said...

That turned out fabulous!

SoBella Creations said...

Wow I think it looks wonderful!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

It looks fabulous!!! And I wish it were my bathroom.

marmielu said...

Oh, Rhoda, that looks great! I just love your "I'll do it myself first" attitude. I know how that goes. I'm glad it went much easier than you imagined. I love the way you decorated it, too.
Mary Lou

Jenny said...

I love it. It looks perfect there. LOL at your husband's comment!

Teresa said...

I so love this cabinet, the more chippy paint, the better. I will have to steal this right off your wall for my house. I posted a few pics on my blog of my chippy paint stuff and old things, but I still have more of this stuff. I did have to get rid of a few things, just too much stuff.

www.theburkeboys.blogspot.com

Deana said...

That shelf is adorable! I love how you filled it with beachy finds. So cute!!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Wow! It looks amazing! You have such vision and I love how everything is displayed so perfectly! It is taking me half the day to hang some pictures-and you did all that!
~Nancy

Heather said...

That shabby cabinet is fantastic! As are the accessories inside. Beautiful bathroom!
Heather:)

Debra said...

I <3 Your Makeover!!! High Five Girl. My half bath is a beach theme because I miss the ocean when I lived in California, so this is the closest to it. I really like how you used the shells. Thanks for sharing.
Debra

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

JUST fabulous! It's perfect there, really. And I love the vignette you've set up -- I'd take it as-is. I also remember that bird from last year...and love him just as much today. :-)

Terry said...

I love that cupboard and the accesories look like they were planned out. I love it!

PatQ said...

Oh, I love that! You always find the nicest things.

Kate Riley said...

Purrrrrr-ty. I love the size of that cabinet, and all your decor. Lovely !

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!!! Now I'm going to be on the hunt for one of these cabinets. Our bathroom is done in a sand color and calming beachy blue.

Crystal said...

Wow, you did a great job. That cabinet really adds a beach cottage feel to your bathroom. I like it, like it alot :)
Thanks for sharing!
Crystal

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, if I would have seen that cabinet I would have walked by it. You took something that was not attractive and made it a beautiful showpiece.

Thanks,
Debbie

TinaTx said...

It looks wonderful! Good for you, doing it all by yourself. I bought one of those stud finder things - couldn't find a single stud with it so I took it back and went back to the 'old method' - tapping on the wall!
As for the paint can - hey whatever works!

Great job!

Unknown said...

Looks great! I love it.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your bathroom and that cabinet. My hubby would have said the same thing. LOL

Celia said...

Looks great in there Rhoda! Love how you displayed everything - quite a knack you have indeed!
Celia

Anonymous said...

It seems we have the same favorite word, lol...anyhoo, I love the cabinet in the bathroom. You did a great job hanging it, too ;o)

Anonymous said...

I am IMPRESSED! That looks great and I think I learned a thing or two in the process! I love how you turned the Homegoods bowl on its side - so simple but so eyecatching.

KM Studios said...

Hay Rhoda,
LOVE THIS!!!
That is a great way to add charm & warmth to a bathroom.
I might add a small rub on decal of a blue flower on the side of the little white cabinet. Dress it up just a bit.
But you filled it up awesomely..all those little treasures..love it!!!
KEEP DOIN WHAT YOUR DOIN GIRLFRIEND!!

Justabeachkat said...

Another good project! It really looks good.

Hugs!
Kat

Alaska Girl said...

I'm jealous of your find! Looks great! I am also impressed with your paint can helper...genius!

Restoration House Interiors said...

I LOVE this and I voted for the bath...I am glad I did...amazing how it TOTALLY changed the look of the bathroom. Gorgeous!

Mary said...

Rhoda, The cabinet looks great in the bathroom and I love how you accessorized it from what you had. Thanks for the tutorial on how to put it up, the pictures help alot.
You are my inspiration to tackle projects myself.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very nice!
Glenda

Anne @ The City Sage said...

LOVE your cabinet! It looks just perfect there! And I love how you were able to hang it with just a little help from 'valspar'. Any time I can avoid bringing the huz in on a project, I'm so happy--hanging pictures or shelves with him is like a recipe for an argument!

Jennifer said...

Hi Rhoda! The shabby cabinet looks absolutely amazing!! I like where you chose to hang it and the treasures that you filled the shelves with. You give such fabulous advice and great tips. I appreciate it so much!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Rhoda Rhoda Rhoda! It looks great! LOVE IT!

I have to tell you two things. I was over at my Mother in laws today and she said could you have darling son (my hubby) come over and take a look at these tools before I get rid of them. I said... Hec... he doesn't use tools as much as me! Let me take a look at them! So I understand...
The second thing I want to tell you... I am re doing my bathroom and I framed out the mirror! I am doing mine in Dover White from Sherwin Williams. I will send a picture when it is all done. Nancy from OHIO

Kelee Katillac said...

GRRRREEAAAT! Awesome rhoda!

Cindy said...

Perfect, but then i knew it would be. You did an amazing job, Rhoda! Hugs, ~cindy s~

Angie Seaman said...

Oh me oh my...

Love this cabinet. What an incredible piece. Great find girlie!

Hugs, Angie Seaman
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angieseamanphotography.blogspot.com
www.agdprayerblog.blogspot.com

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Omigosh ...it looks great! Can't believe you hung it up yourself...I would have been too intimidated and had to call in my Dear Hubs. Congrats to you!

Cottage Lifestyle said...

Love it!

Renee

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

That looks so beautiful, I can't even stand it!
My husband and yours came from the same stock: The least bit of difficulty has mine throwing in the towel immediately! I am a "can do" kinda girl, especially when it comes to decorating projects. I WILL find a way to get it how I want it.
Looks great!

Lettered Cottage said...

GORGEOUS!!! :-)

Layla

Sandra said...

Wow! I love it! It looks great in there!
blessings,
Sandra

Daisy Cottage said...

You are SOOOOOOOOO good Rhodie... LOVE it and LOVE how you do these things all by yourself!

It is perfect!

xo,
Kim

Helen Joy said...

It looks phenominal! You did an amazing job on it! Love the little bit of dried hydrangea! You truly have a gift!

Anonymous said...

That cabinet is PERFECT for that bath! I love it...

Lynn said...

I love what you did what that cabinet....now I need to go find one for my hall bath!!

Anna O'Reilly said...

Love this!

Unknown said...

Now I want one just like yours! I LOVE IT! and what you did with it too! so cute!