Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Sis’s House

IMG_5795

My sister has been married to Bruce for going on 10 years now and after initially moving in here and decorating the house, she’s been making some very nice changes. They recently got additional hardwoods installed and all the floor sanded and restained and it all turned out beautiful. They are looking to downsize in the near future, but will have to see how it goes with home sales since it's not looking great at this time. In the meantime, with all their kids out of the house, they can enjoy the changes for themselves.

As I’ve mentioned before, we usually have our family gatherings at their house, since they have such a nice outdoor porch and back yard to enjoy on these nice spring and summer days. So, I thought y’all might enjoy seeing their house. This is coming in the frontdoor. It was time to get the walls repainted too, so she decided to use my Whole Wheat paint by Sherwin Williams as her main color this time.

IMG_5797

The foyer is flooded with natural light, so it really looks light here and you can see how much darker it looks towards the back of the greatroom. Renee loves decorating almost as much as I do and enjoys puttering around with it too.We didn't get this trait from our mom, as she could care less about decorating and changing things around. I'll show you a glimpse of my mom's kitchen in another post.

IMG_5786

She’s going to be replacing the familyroom furniture in the near future too. And she’s been scouring Craigslist in Atlanta looking for some bargains and boy, did she score on a couple of deals recently. There are some great things on the Atlanta Craigslist. I can't believe how much better it is than ours in Birmingham.

IMG_5785

She found this HUGE entertainment center in an ad from a store selling their furnishings and got this gorgeous piece, as well as the island that goes with it. If you’ve ever heard of Habersham, this line is very similar, although it is not an official Habersham piece, it certainly has the look. It’s in 2 pieces and she said they had a heck of a time getting it in the house. Had to haul it on 2 trucks. And the price of this beauty is amazing. $1,000 for this large and magnificent piece, a real steal if you’ve priced entertainment units lately. And it’s solid wood. It’s hard to tell in this pic, but it’s a soft beigy color with a little green undertone and has very nice distressing.

IMG_5790

With their huge greatroom ceilings, this piece fits perfectly. She said it’s 9’ tall.

IMG_5804

The detailing on it is exquisite.

IMG_5806

Over the fireplace.

IMG_5787

Looking back towards front door.

IMG_5800

Greatroom looking into kitchen area and onto back porch.

IMG_5807

This is a true open floorplan house with great flow for a party. The greatroom opens to the kitchen, which then connects to the livingroom and diningroom combo.

Several of you mentioned the backyard, here's the link to my Mother's Day post, which shows a lot of their lush backyard and pond. Click here!

IMG_5803

Say hello to Buster, the Boston terrier. He’s a fun dog and loves to play tug o’ war. And he once got so excited, he peed on my husband. At least my hubby laughed about it.

IMG_5788

Breakfast table looking into kitchen. There’s the island she also scored from the same sellers. She got it for $350, which I thought also was a great deal. Mom made her kitchen window treatments too.

IMG_5789

Very pretty piece, it looks wonderful in her kitchen. If they do move, she’s taking it with her.

IMG_5810

And this is Holly, a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix and she is a real sweetie.

IMG_5791

The diningroom is right off the kitchen. She left this room red, but I think I’ve talked her into lightening it up too, like I did with my red diningroom. She mentioned that she thinks she is going to paint over the red too. When she and Bruce got married, he had all this cherry furniture made by Kincaid. Very nice furniture, all solid wood, but it’s all exactly alike. Queen Anne Cherry. Too much of a good thing. It was in the foyer, greatroom, dining room, and master bedroom. All Queen Anne Cherry. She’s prepared him over the years, that she is going to get rid of some of it and bring in some new pieces, not so matchy-matchy, so now she’s finally getting around to doing that. They asked for my advice on some things they should change out. She just spray painted that brass light fixture to black and it looks so much better already. So, in case you have a brass fixture like this one which is in a lot of homes all over the country, here’s what it would look like painted.

IMG_5792

Looking into kitchen. She’s going to sell the table and chairs, as well as the china cabinet and that wall is where the newly painted hutch will go. Anyone in the Atlanta area interested in a solid wood Kincaid table and chairs and china cabinet?? She’s going to sell it for a good price.

IMG_5799

Livingroom sofa.

IMG_5793

Livingroom chairs. She is tired of these chairs too and they will also be going.

IMG_5794

Recognize this piece? Yep, we both bought this from the decorator a few years ago. She’s going to change her knobs to black too after she saw my piece.

So, that’s a little tour of my sister’s downstairs main areas. Hope you enjoyed seeing more of her house. They’ve been working hard on it and it looks great.

Hop over to this blog and this Etsy site for a fun vinyl wall art giveaway! Lots of great stuff to choose from.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

60 friends stopped by:

Becky K. said...

Well, somewhere in the family tree is a decorator gene. You are both just amazing!

Have a great day!
Becky K.
Hospitality Lane

Anonymous said...

I wish you lived closer because I'd hire you as a decorating team. I love my home but it's just not as amazing as your's and your sister's.

AWESOME!!!

Ann and Billy said...

Beautiful home. I would love some instructions on painting a brass light fixture. I have one just like hers which I think I would like better in a antique white finish.

Still Learning said...

Your sister's home is beautiful!! I recognized a few of her decor pieces as ones I also sold in my home decor store. Both of you definitely have excellent taste. Everything was so well put together. I need you guys to come on over here, lol.

Jenn

Jacylann Nix said...

what a beautiful house!

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I love that island in your sister's kitchen. Looks like it was built just for that space.

My sister FINALLY broke down and bought some new living room furniture last year...I thought it was a start of a major overhaul at her house. But then they seemed to run out of steam. It frustrates me so! lol I guess some people just get a thrill out of decorating and some people....don't. My sister's one who doesn't. I'll never understand that thinking. lol

Nice pictures - your sister has a lovely home!

Kari

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Gorgeous home. Her entertainment center and island are stunning and such great prices. Love all of her house, it is just so lovely. Hugs, Marty

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Rhoda: This is beautiful! Ya'll got some great genes going on between you! Not only are you gorgeous BUT intelligent and with great style! What a winning combination!!

Love the pieces she got off of Craigslist! I would not leave that island either!!

Thank you for sharing!!

Lou Cinda :)

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Wow, what a beautiful home. Now I really need to get busy. It sure is hard to decorate AND baby proof. Hmmm?????

Carol said...

I absolutely love both pieces. I've never heard of Habersham. Do you know what this line is called? When we move back to Michigan from England in a year or two, I would be interested in looking into it.

Thanks!
Carol

Lori E said...

I am very fond of the entertainment center. What a great score that was. My C.List has crap and it is expensive crap to boot.

Suzann said...

This home is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing.

Granna said...

Your sister's home is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it and thanks to her for allowing you to share it! I have a Boston Terrier too named Bullet. He and Buster would make good play friends! They are busy but very smart dogs!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Thanks for sharing your sis's house! That ent center is over the top.....probably wouldn't even fit in my house.

We've Got Scents said...

Her home is beautiful and the entertainment center and island are great pieces!
Enjoyed the tour very much. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings today and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Pam said...

Beautiful. Sis has some really nice pieces. Love it all...including the dogs!
Pam

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
Renee has such a lovely home. The two of you share wonderful taste in decorating. I really like those two new pieces she got from Craigslist; that entertainment center is huge! Glad she found such good deals. Thanks for lettig us take a look at her home!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I think I could have looked at these pictures all day long....that house is beautiful! Y'all have something so sweet in common. Great taste! Can you show us the rest...I would love to see the backyard too~

Tracey said...

so the "decorator's touch" runs in the family!!! Beautiful!!! Hop on 65 South and come decorate my house!

Love and miss you!

Michelle said...

Wow, your sister's home is breathtakingly beautiful! You sisters have such great decorating sense and style! I truly enjoyed looking at all the pictures you shared. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Have a wonderful day!

~Michelle
(Treasure the Moment)

Sandra said...

Wow, what a beautiful home! I love that first piece! Actually, I love it all! I hope you show the backyard too. :)
Thanks for sharing with us.
Blessings,
Sandra

Carrie said...

Oh, the armoire! Swwooon!

Thanks for sharing! Are you going to show the deck? (I'm lookin' for ideas!) :)

Runner Mom said...

Just lovely! And Buster and Holly are adorable!! You girls are two peas in a pod!!

Hugs!
susan

Jenny said...

What a wonderful home your sister has! I also love the entertainment center! That was an awesome deal!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Gorgeous! Apparently, good taste runs in the family! : )

I love Whole Wheat by Sherwin Williams too, and have used in my house, as well as suggested it to clients.

I can relate to your sister as we are looking to down-size as well. We've been prepping the house and will figure out if we are going to list shortly.

Anonymous said...

Great house! Random question, are her kitchen cabinets painted? If so, do you happen to know what color she used? I am trying to find a color for my kitchen cabinets and there are so many whites!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your sis has a lovely home and that entertainment cabinet in the great room makes quite a statement! You both have great taste in decorating. TFS! Sheila

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely house! Love the way it's decorated. Very warm and welcoming!

Unknown said...

love love love it all, I AM MOVING IN! ;)

Blondie's Journal said...

Your sister has your same great taste, Rhoda. I drooled thoroughout the whole tour. The entertainment unit is absolutely gorgeous. It must have been in the close out of a high end store. The detail, oh my!!

Renee should have a blog. I wouldn't mind seeing bits and pieces of her home on a regular basis!

xoxo
Jane

The Blushing Hostess said...

Beautifully appointed! Thank you for sharing, she has great taste and style!

Joanna said...

What a beautiful house!

Justabeachkat said...

Beautiful! She has done a great job. Looks like decorating runs in the family.

Hugs!
Kat

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Your sister's home is gorgeous! I love that entertainment center! What a cute little Boston Terrier....I have had 3 of them....they make wonderful pets. Thanks for sharing!
~Patti

Richella Parham said...

Rhoda, this is the coolest post! (Is "coolest" a word?) It's so much fun to get a glimpse into Renee's house as well as yours. I'll bet you two have a great time when you get together. You've really inspired me here--I haven't been to visit my sisters in a long time, and I'm thinking now about what I've been missing.

Hope you have a great day!

Diane said...

Love you sister's house! Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing it Rhoda. Hugz, diane

Jean said...

You and your sister are wonderful decorators. I love the little details and all the vignettes. Her home is just beautiful and all the hard work has definitely paid off.
Thanks so much for the enjoyable tour.
Jean in virginia

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Looks like her style is very similar to yours. She has a lovely home!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

That was fun! After all these years in your sister's backyard, it feels like I know her, too. :)
Love the new floors, they sure make a house look good. And that island is perfect.
Tell her thanks for the tour!
Donna

Kelli said...

Lovely tour. Thanks for sharing!

Christine said...

Great tour!! You gals both have fantastic taste!

I, too, spray painted my icky builder-brass chandelier. I think we might've had the same one as your sister. We changed it up a bit. The large globe-like thing at the bottom of the piece can be taken off. You unscrew the bottom, pull off the globe and extension screw and then put the bottom circle screw back on. I liked our chandelier so much better without that round thing on it. It seemed lighter. Either way, however - - the new finish beats the heck out of that brass!!

Many thanks as always for another inspiring tour!

Magic Brush said...

I am DROOLING over the Habersham look alike!!!!! What a great price too!

Oddly enough, I used to have a Boston Terrier named BUSTER!!!! He had one brown eye, one blue. Oddest thing....

Rose said...

Just beautiful! Blessings,Rose

Girl with the Curlz said...

You both are amazing decorators. Very pretty.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

You and your sister have beautiful homes!! I always love reading your blog to get ideas about decorating, but I have a long way to go in the decorating department. I have so many rooms in my house that need updating, but I am going to just take one room at a time and work from there. It is so much fun to get ideas from you to help along the way and give me encouragement. Thanks so much for sharing your great pictures! Your sister's yard is so pretty too and I loved the family pictures. Your sweet parents are adorable!! Such a lovely family. Love & blessings from NC!

Darlene said...

Wow her home is simply amazing also...just like yours!!!!! BOTH of you have a GREAT decorating style!

Signing Out said...

Your sister's home is fabulous! Decorating talent must run in the family. Thanks for the inspiring tour.

The brass chandelier looks fantastic painted black. Our house was built in the early 90's, and there are brass light fixtures throughout. I've replaced some of them, but I think I'll try to save some money and paint the remaining ones in the hallways black.

Jane

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Thanks so much Rhoda, for the tour of your sister's beautiful home!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Thanks for sharing this tour! I love the fact that in the photo titled "looking back at the front door", we see the back of the dog's head as she looks at the door. Don't know if this was intentional, but thought it was cute :)

Anonymous said...

Please tell us the furniture line for the Habersham look-alike pieces. I've priced the Habersham before and it is outrageously expensive.

Janet

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Thanks for taking us along Rhoda. I do love being nosey! She has beautiful things, and I love all the dogs too.

~Misti

Elizabeth and Gary said...

What a lovely home your sister has, I especially love her white kitchen!. I really enjoyed my visit today with you.
Take care and have a great day,
Elizabeth

marie said...

Your sister's home is beautiful ~ good taste definitely runs in the family!

I wanted to thank you for posting the photo of the black hutch back on 7/10/09 ~ if you take a peek at my post today you'll see why. Rhoda thanks for the inspiration!

bj said...

What a beauty of a house. I loved everything about it. Thanks for sharing..
See you on Thrifty Monday...:)

Cal said...

Wow. What a beautiful home. Very inspiring. I love the paintings.

grannyann said...

What a gracious, warm home. She has some really beautiful furniture pieces! Thanks for the tour.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Janet, hope you come back to see this. My sister found out that those 2 pieces are by G & J Styles & it seems that they are to the trade only, meaning that only designers can order. So, hopefully you can find out something online about them. Hope that helps!

I know she sure got a steal on them, a very fortunate find!

Georgia Girl said...

Wow great furniture deal...is she going to break up her dining room set up...I am on the hunt for a china cabinet...I am in middle Georgia area also...I see some other things also...would love to see what she is asking for them. You can email me if you find out...it is on my profile.

Linda Q said...

Well that was a fun tour, thanks. They have a lovely home. I envy those high ceilings and so much light and space. Our older home with eight foot ceilings etc. feels like a cave at times.
Love the shape of her kitchen island top, that is good!
Linda

JoLynn said...

Rhoda~
Thanks for your great blog!! Love your taste. I have the same dining room set as your sister and was planning to sell mine as well so I don't have so much matchy~matchy stuff. If she gets hers sold could you email me the price she asked for it. I don't know where to start in pricing it. thanks!! handel5@zitomedia.net