Friday, July 3, 2009

The neighbors can laugh

But, we’ll get the last laugh now that we are getting a mess of beans all ready for pickin’! In case you don’t know what a mess of beans is….down South, that’s enough beans to fill a pot for dinner.

IMG_5708

From by the front door beans on the fence….

IMG_5709

They are loving all the sun they get here and hubby has already picked them twice.

IMG_5685

I snipped off the ends, cut them up with a little bacon, salt and pepper and simmered them for about an hour.

IMG_5686

And they were yummy with rosemary roasted red potatoes and some BBQ pork from the crockpot. We LOVE this time of year with the fresh veggies. It was not unusual when we were growing up to only have vegetables for dinner, no meat, like hubby and I did recently. Oh, and the creamed corn and crowder peas (I think that's what they are) are from my parent's garden. My mom freezes all of this from their yearly bounty and shares. Love that!

IMG_5714

And see what else is blooming outside right now. My stargazer lilies are looking as beautiful as ever, so I decided to bring them inside to really enjoy them on the breakfast table.

IMG_5710

I’ve got 3 plants going and each plant has at least 5 blooms. Ahhhh!

IMG_5713

There’s nothing prettier to me!

IMG_5740

And see what’s hanging out in the window? Yep, all those fresh picked ‘maters from our little garden.

How’s your garden growing? Are you enjoying flowers or food or both? We desperately need some rain right now, but we’re enjoying both.

I'm joining Julia today for Hooked on Fridays, since I'm hooked on home grown veggies.

I'm working today with my designer friend, Mary and am happy to be doing that again. We haven't worked together since last year when she brought back her original assistant who really needed to work. So, I'm excited to have a couple more jobs this next week with Mary. We always have a blast! I won't be able to take pics unfortunately, but here's a project we worked on last year.

*****************************************************

And here’s some great news that a reader passed on to me. American Blinds and Wallpaper has the beadboard wallpaper in stock. I had to locate the exact page it was on, the pattern # is #17267 and the price is $23.07 per roll with free shipping and that’s better than what I paid, so here’s the link for you:

Beadboard Wallpaper

If anyone does order from them, I’d appreciate it if you could click on their link in my right sidebar to get there and then put in the pattern # to locate it. I had to click on wallpaper and then put in the pattern # to bring it up. If anyone buys from that button, I get a small commission on sales. And this is one product that I don’t mind bragging on! Thanks a bunch.

Edited to Add: I just found out the link above is to UN-pasted wallpaper (not prepasted), so glue would have to be used (which might be better if you are using it on furniture or something), but here's another link to Graham-Brown directly for the one that I used. Sorry for any misunderstanding on this:

Graham-Brown Beadboard Wallpaper


Stumble Upon Toolbar

59 friends stopped by:

Sandi McBride said...

Oh Rhoda, I love it! The last laugh indeed! If it were by your kitchen you know we'd call that the kitchen garden...you have a front door garden, how perfectly natural!!! Enjoy the beans and maters...okra (okrie) would be a pretty thing to plant with that hibiscus flower turning into yummy eats! Consider it?
hugs
Sandi

One Shabby Old House said...

Hi Rhonda,
It is a bit surprising to see beans growing at your stately front door. However I think it is perfectly fine as long as you don't put one of those plywood made figures of a lady's rear. lol They had those in Indiana in the gardens. It always looked like the view of someone picking something. lol
There is nothing better than fresh green beans. It was the question my father would always ask who ever I was dating at the time. And I believe that he measured their worth by. lol It went like this:
" Did you ever Pick any beans?"
To which I would say, OH daddy!!
However I got me a bean pickin man and we have been happy for many years now. Must be something to it.
Hugs
Becky

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Good morning Rhoda- Those beans look delicious! We usually have so much fat in ours that you are afraid to look at the leftovers...I think they are even better the second day, after you skim off the extra fat that is. LOVE THEM! Maybe next summer we will be back to growing a small garden. Have a great weekend!

~Misti

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Your veggies and lillies look fantastic! Thanks for the tip on the wallpaper. I just ordered mine :).

-Beth

Eclectic Chic Style said...

I know exactly what a mess of anything is...plenty for cookin', cannin', and sharin'!! LOL! Great job, yours look delish!!
♥ Teresa

Trixi said...

We are hooked on fresh veggies here too. I put up 12 qts. of peas yesterday. Our is coming in good but this heat with no rain is not helping much. Your green beans look so good!!

Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements said...

Hi Rhoda,
Those pictures are making me HUNGRY! I haven't had breakfast yet and, while veggies aren't usually what I crave with my 1st cup of coffee, yours look mighty tasty!!! I'm especially envious of what's sitting on your window sill -- I'm hoping the local farmers market has some this weekend. Can't wait for that burst of flavor from a homegrown tomato that lets us know summer is here in full-force -- the good part, not just the heat and humidity!!!

Speaking of homegrown -- I thought folks had to BUY stargazers from a florist -- you just walk outside and come back in with a magnificent bouquet!

Hope you and all your readers have a Fantastic Fourth!

Very best regards,
Bill

Pam said...

There is truly nothing like the taste of fresh, home-grown veggies. They definitely spoil you! We've got flowers going, but here in Indiana the veggies are still a little behind you Southerners. I've got some green 'maters hanging on the vine and can't wait to make salsa and have the best BLT's ever.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Wonderful harvest! The beans looked great. I have a BUNCH of tomatoes on my three little plants out back. This is my first vegetable "garden" so I am so tickled to see those green tomatoes growing out there. :)

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Rhoda! your mess of beans looks delish!! I'll be over for supper tonight! And, I thought 'maters in the windows was the proper window treatment for summer!!

I'm celebrating my 100th post with a give-away!! Come on over!

Hugs!
Susan

Love Being A Nonny said...

Love to have a mess of beans!!!!

g.suzie said...

Fresh veggies from the garden are the best. You are obviously ahead of us, we won't be eating beans or tomatoes from our garden for a while! Have a great weekend.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, I'm kind of betting that most people don't know those are beans. LOL! You got 'em fooled! ;-)

Love your beans, your lilies, and your tomatoes. You go, girl!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Kathi said...

YUM! Love the maters on the window sill! Nothing like good homegrown maters! Oh dear, I'm talkin' like an Alabamian and I love beans too!
Your lilies are gorgeous! I'm just trying to keep my plants alive right now. We need rain!
Hope you have a blessed holiday weekend!
Love, Kathi

Heather said...

What a great looking plate of veggies! I'm jealous as ours are WAY behind. My sister in Arkansas is talking about some of her veggies that are finished already...we haven't had anything except a few radishes. If you plant it, they will come, just a little slower here in the north!

Love your blog and am a frequent visitor. Beautiful eye candy!

Heather

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ha! I love how you have those beans in your ront yard! Looks like you are getting oodles of them!

And your 'maters look luscious...as well as the beautiful stargazer!

Happy 4th!

Signing Out said...

There's nothing like fresh veggies from the garden. Everything looks yummy!

Jane

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling over those photos! I adore fresh beans. Have you had them greek style (with tomatoes?). That's a great way to eat both fruits of your labor.

And those lilies? Simply gorgeous!

Jennifer said...

It all looks so good Rhoda! How fun to have a veggie garden to be the envy of the neighborhood! We have been enjoying cucumbers and tomatoes from our garden so far, but have several other things growing nicely. I made the first batch of summer pickles yesterday. They look good!

Have a great 4th of July weekend!
Jennifer @ Fiddle Dee Dee

Daisy Cottage said...

I'm on my way Rhodie... I'm hungry!! ;-)

How awesome is this?? You and Peter will be dining and savoring the fruits of your labor.. how wonderful to have such yumminess literally at your door! Love it! Have fun kids.. that's what it is all about.

Love you!
Kim

Anonymous said...

We love to have all-vegetable suppers, too. Sometimes we add some cornbread. MMMmmm.

Those beans look delicious.

Jowanna @ The Porch Swing

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

We had fresh green beans from the garden last night, too, but without the bacon. Yours look delish! There really is nothing better than food from your own backyard. This is my favorite time of year.

Your lilies are gorgeous, too. Wish I had some of those growing here.

Happy 4th, Rhoda! :-)

Unknown said...

Your post reminds me why I am proud to be a Southern girl. I remember shelling peas on my grandmother's front porch until my hands were purple! There is nothing better than an all-vegetable dinner with cornbread. Yum!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great veggies. They all look so yummy. Hugs, Marty

Tracey said...

Those veggies look so good! I am not a huge veggie person, but I love them when they are fresh. We are installing a raised garden bed right now, but unfortunately it is too hot in AZ to plant anything until fall. I can't wait! I need to soak up some more gardening info so I will be prepared.

Robin Lambright said...

I got an extremely late start on my veggie patch, but I did see a tiny cucumber this morning about the size of my thumb. I am still in the anticipation mode waiting for my first fruits to appear.

I planted squash, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans (bush beans not vine) green peppers and sweet peppers and of course "matters".

My favorite thing to do is take a walk out to the garden each morning. I have lots of blossoms so it won't be long before I am cooking up my own mess of beans.

I can't wait!

Blessings
Robin

Glenda/MidSouth said...

All the veggies look so good. I love the smell of Stargazer lilies.
Glenda

Marilyn said...

Hi, I am hooked on flowers, so I love your lily! I'm wishing I could have a spot for veggies, but the bugs like them too much and I don't like to dust everything we eat. Come visit my Colorado flower garden. Happy 4th and thanks for sharing.

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

Mmmmm...your plate really looks delicious. We had a mess of fresh green beans this week too. Usually when I cook my bacon, I throw in a chopped onion too, then I add my beans and chicken broth. I usually cook mine about 4 hours or longer. Someone once told me that all good southern cooks cook their vegetables until all the nutrients run out. Funny, but so often, it's true. Have a happy 4th!

paintergal said...

Rhoda, you are a doll! Thank you so much for posting that link to buy the wallpaper. I used your ad on the side, so hope you get the credit for it.
Just a note, although shipping is free, they do charge $7.95 processing fee. So the total for one bolt comes to $30.98.
I can't wait to use this on the sides of my island.

Becky K. said...

Rosemary potatoes.....sigh...I love them.

The beans and ham...look awesome.

There is nothing better...anywhere...than a freshly picked tomato, still warm. Straight to a plate, all sliced up, with salt and a couple twists of the peppermill.

Sighing again.

Ours are a long way from being ready. But one of these days.

Have a Happy Fourth of July!

Susan said...

Ah...snap beans that are still warm from the sun! We don't have a garden, but my BIL and his wife do. They have had a bountiful harvest so far this year, and love to share! My kitchen window looks just like yours with tomatoes lining the sash.

Your Stargazers are just beautiful! I can enjoy that lovely fragrance through my laptop...

Hope you and yours have a wonderful Fourth!

Amy said...

Hey, Rhoda! Just wanted you to know I ordered some beadboard wallpaper using the link on your blog, so be looking for that commission! (*wink*)

Also, I am making my first attempt at southern woman tomato growing this summer. I'm a "late bloomer" and don't expect any tomatoes for another couple of weeks, but I'm actually getting VERY excited!! I think I might try beans next year, and make the neighbors jealous! LOL!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

A mess of green beans would go great right about now. I cook mine with new potatoes and bacon, all in one pot. My family absolutely loves them cooked that way, especially with a skillet of cornbread.

I'm making crockpot bbq beef tomorrow. Mac and cheese, too, since Drewy seems to be clinging to his vegetarianism!

Happy 4th!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

A mess of green beans would go great right about now. I cook mine with new potatoes and bacon, all in one pot. My family absolutely loves them cooked that way, especially with a skillet of cornbread.

I'm making crockpot bbq beef tomorrow. Mac and cheese, too, since Drewy seems to be clinging to his vegetarianism!

Happy 4th!

Kimberly Wright said...

My front flower bed grew up with grass but I think it would make a perfect garden area. Easy to maintain and would look much more attractive. My husband is not so sure. I am showing him this blog post!

Shannan Martin said...

So, you share my love for photographing fresh veggies! Yours look especially delish.

Sue said...

You have made me hungry just looking at that plate of delicious home grown food! There's nothing that comes close a meal fresh from the garden. (I have tomatoes in my window right now too).

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
Just wanted to let readers know that the wallpaper #17267 is NOT pre-pasted if that matters to anyone. The other one, #15274 is, and can be ordered from Graham and Brown website.

My husband and I have been enjoying tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, squash, and jalapenos from our garden. Would you believe I came home one day and he had planted watermelon and cantelope in our FRONT yard! So we look like Atlanta hicks now, but I got over it, and will enjoy the "fruits of our labor"!

KW in Atlanta

Hopechest Bride said...

I swear my stomach growled just looking at that delicious plate of food...ummmm.
Blessings
Lisa

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

It was a mess of beans in Northern Indiana where I am from. Looks great!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,
Isn't this the best time of year for fresh fruit & veggies!! Your green beans & tomatoes look yummy! Our strawberry season is just bursting up here in Ontario, Canada. Now the blueberries are coming - Yippee!

When I saw your gorgeous lillies I quickly scoped out my flower bed to see if mine were blooming. Not yet though, too early for us up here in the north. Maybe in another week or so mine will be in bloom. TFS!

Sheila

Feedsack Fantasy said...

Not fair!! You are already having veggies come in. What's your address, & what time is dinner? Chuckle. Our flowers & veggies were in a 'funk' because we had record rains in Apr/May/ 1/2 of June & just now snapping out of it ... have a wonderful 4th. TTFN ~Marydon

midnight macaroons said...

Wow, those freshly grown veggies look great. Hope you and your family have a fantastic holiday weekend.

What color green is in your kitchen? I love the color!

Kelli said...

Yum, yum. Nothing like home grown beans!! Let the neighbors laugh!

abeachcottage said...

g'day sweet rhoda

can I come for dinner with all the lovely home grown veggies, can't beat that can ya, I grew a few last year and even if you don't make too much effort and shove a few salads in there is just something very very nice about walking out and picking a few leaves...

anyway enjoy your weekend sweet friend...I am hoping to treasure hunt

sarah

grannyann said...

It is so hot here the "maters" aren't producing. It may rain tonight or tomorrow, hope so they will produce.
Your beans look so good, my grandson loves green beans!!!!!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Hi Rhoda,

I can relate to having a mess...in a good way. We have already picked around 30 good-sized cucumbers from our garden. Can you have a mess of cucumbers? The vines are definitely "messy"--they are climbing over everything and threatening to devour our dogs!

:) Amy

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Mmmmmmmmm...that plate of veggies looks so good! Let those neighbors laugh...they don't know what they're missin. We didn't have time to plant a garden this year and I am soooooo missing it's bounty. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

~Amanda

Justabeachkat said...

I love this time of year...all the fresh veggies and fruits. We had fresh corn on the cob tonight. Yummy.

Happy 4th!
Hugs!
Kat

Nicole A. said...

I love fresh beans and those look so yummy! That is one of my favorite things to eat! Everything looks great and your flowers are beautiful! Thanks for Sharing!

Jenny said...

Everything looks yummy! Have a great time working with your friend!

Donna said...

Oh my goodness! That looks delicious! I can just taste those snap beans. :)

Unknown said...

Your green beans look incredible!
Have a wonderful weekend and a fabulous 4th!
~Really Rainey~

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you said mess of beans because my Mom and aunts used to say that every summer. I haven't heard that in awhile, so my heart was warmed by your post...brought backs lots of good summer memories I spent in North Ga. mountains.
thanks for your great blog.
BB from Ga.

Heathahlee said...

Oh, my heavens! Those veggies! I lurve me some Southern cooked vegetables. That creamed corn...I could have licked the screen! Corn is my absolute favorite, and I haven't had any of my Mimmie's creamed corn in over 25 years. She made it so yummy! I remember shucking and silking until my hands hurt, but it was all worth it when Mimmie cut that fresh corn off to have with supper. Oh the memories! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The beans look wonderful. Your Hubby is ahead of his time. Smart guy. Elizabeth H.

Susie Q said...

The veggies look great and oh my...the scent of those stargazer lillies....yum! I'm going to have to plant some too.

marie said...

Hi Rhoda,
I'm going to be ordering some of the pre-pasted beadboard wallpaper for my newly remodeled laundry room. Do you get a commission from Graham & Brown? I just want to order properly if you do.
Thanks for sharing this wallpaper ~ I love the look!

You have such a lovely blog!
Those daylilies are so beautiful!