Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The smell of Banana Bread.....

















Today was my day to bring snacks to our Tues. AM ladies Bible study (we are doing Beth Moore's Daniel study & it's awesome!), so I mixed up this banana bread last night & put it in the oven this morning to bake, so that it would be hot & fresh. This is a great recipe & is actually lower in fat, so I thought I'd share the recipe for those who enjoy baking. I got this recipe from a really sweet Jewish lady in Atlanta, so I have to give her credit...it's a wonderful banana bread & this is the only one I make now. Try it...I promise you'll love it. This is what's left & it won't last long with my hubby around!

Low-Fat Banana Bread

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 cup Canola oil

1/2 cup applesauce

3 very ripe bananas, mashed

2 large eggs, slightly beaten

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350*. Grease & flour 9x5 loaf pan. In large bowl, with fork, mix first 4 dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mash bananas, add the eggs, vanilla, canola oil, & applesauce & mix well. Add banana mixture & pecans to dry ingredients. Stir until blended (don't beat). Pour into loaf pan & bake for 55 to 60 min. Cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing.



Here's my bunny recipe box that I decoupaged a few years ago. It holds all my recipes & looks good on the counter top too. I found this box at a yardsale for, I think $1.00 & it was fun making it pretty.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Ratz.....my printer is not working! I had to write this recipe on a card....lol. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. I love bunnies too, so I really like your recipe box.

Hugs,
Judy

Carol Bennett said...

Love the recipe box, as I'm a huge bunny fan! Very cute. I'm looking forward to trying the recipe for banana bread.Thanks for sharing.
Carol
Come visit me!
http://ourreddoor.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh what a yummy post! Your banana bread looks delicious and your recipe box is adorable!
xo,
Kim

CG said...

Hey Rhoda..sorry I'm just now checking me emails. But it looks like you figured it out anyway!

CG said...

yum..that bread looks yummy!!! I was supposed to be doing Daniel this semester as well with my church but it didn't workt out. I have heard nothing but great remarks about it. Love your bunny box. I need to look for some boxes this year at sales. Can't wait for them to start up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda

I just "discovered" your blog this morning!! What a treat!

I know I'm going to enjoy it, very much!

The banana bread looks yummy! DD3 is our banana bread baker. Always extra special!

Pat (Xanti's Gma)

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Oh, banana bread, yum yum.
Yes, it is time for the bunny plates, too. I got mine out on Sunday! I still love them.

I remember when I first found that bunny image and posted for just you, and it spread like wild fire! It showed up on a dozen posts or other sites.
But now I think it is royalty free so I don't feel bad about it.

Of course our projects were my favorites. :)
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Just found your Blog....love your posts.
My recipe for the bread is very much like yours minus the applesauce...will have to try that next time.
I will be sure to visit again !!

Kathy :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you all for stopping by...I love new visitors/friends! Hope you all try the banana bread...it's really delish.

Donna, you were very kind to share that bunny image with me & I remember it did get a lot of attention way back when. Do you still have your box & is it still out being used? Yours was very pretty too!

Pat, so nice to have you stop by too!

Kathy, hello & welcome...please drop by anytime!

Rhoda

Michelle said...

I just finished up the Daniel study with my Bible study group! It is so wonderful!!!! I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

CG said...

Rhoda..you may want to ask someone else about the border thing. I figured mine out but I think it's the long and hard way. I've seen so many others that have the wider larger borders and I'm not sure how they did it. Cherry has a nice one, maybe we can find out from her how she did it. I'll go ask her.

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

You are a girl after my own heart! I love finding things at yardsales and thrift stores with good bones and then breathing a new life into them. That box is gorgeous - what a great job you did!

The banana bread sounds divine - yum!

Anonymous said...

Ok this is strange...you posted a comment by me, came here to you and bam! there is a BB bread recipe...and here I was just 'thinking' umm I could go for some BB bread?? also the box is so neat* I'm in love with rabbits the wild ones have been gathering beneath my crab apple tree collecting the frozen fruit:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda.......Just popped in to see what you have been up to & wow!,you have been busy! I loved the older home pics.....here, we have three left standing. On is that same style - italianate. It was built in 1850's. There is a book about it I read & it was soooo good I couldn't put it down. LOL!
My family settled here back in the 1800's so it is all interesting to me also.
The banana bread sounds yummy - thanks for passing it on!
Your roses were beautiful - Johnny bought me some too.....we are lucky!
Bonnie PS Love the bunny box!