Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Seashells & aqua blue just seem to go together...

















I've always loved seashells & it seems I have gone through stages of collecting them & then getting tired of them & discarding them over the years. I have managed to hang on to a few special ones that I've had for many years now & decided to put them on the glass shelves in my entertainment center in the den. So, here they are, such pretty colors & textures & I love how they shine when the light is on them. My rug & fabrics down here have some lighter shades of blue, so I thought it would be neat to add some aqua accents to my shell collection to bring more of that beautiful color in the room too. Here's where I'm starting & I hope to add more along the way. I've seen some neat Hull pottery on Ebay that would really mix in here well, so I would love to collect some of those old pieces as well. These aren't old, but it's a start. The skinny vases came from Tuesday AM for $3 each & yesterday when I was out to lunch and browsing in an antiques store with some friends, I spotted this pretty blue bowl...it has little brown speckles and even though it's not an antique (made in China....please!!), it looks great with the pieces I already have. Now I'm really excited to see what else I can find that blends in with these pieces. Just what I need....another thing to be on the lookout for!

I've been lucky & managed to find a lot of neat shells at yardsales last year. This big conch shell (I have 2 of these) came from the Phillipines, where my aunt & uncle were missionaries there back in the 60's.









This is another shelf in the room with a few more shells displayed. Most of these came from a great yardsale I found last year...the couple had owned a shell shop in FL & had some great pieces.














Remember the watercolor from last weekend's yardsale....I put it on the wall coming down the stairs from the foyer, into the den. With all the soft blues in the pic, it really looks good in here. Posted by Picasa

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 friends stopped by:

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Rhoda, thank you so much for stopping by my blog...I hope you'll come back again soon! I've enjoyed my first visit to your blog. I love the shells and especially the blue speckled bowl...reminds me of a bird egg! You've found some great items at yard sales. I can't wait for them to start up in our area. I'm looking forward to more visits to your lovely blog!

PAT said...

Rhoda, I love the seashells and how you have them displayed.

I have a few, the kiddos brought from Florida and a few I brought from the Outer Banks. I use them inside and outside, here and at the lake.

Pat

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda I LOVE these shells and the aqua together! I really love the brown globe mixed in too ~ you've done a wonderful job with your shell displays! So pretty! I love where you hung your new art treasure too! That was a great find! Your home is just blossoming!
xo,
Kim

Carol Bennett said...

Rhoda, that display is really coming together! The colors and the seashells really compliment each other.Good job!
Carol
Come visit me!
http://ourreddoor.blogspot.com

CG said...

Last year when we went to the beach I found the most awesome shells. I brought them home and put them in a glass urn. I love them and everytime I see them I think of Destin.

willzmom said...

I love the seashells, I have decorated my son's bathroom in a nautical theme. The colors are so lovely. You got a great deal on those shells. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Aqua, brown and seashells - you're so right about them complementing one another beautifully, Rhoda. They're the colors in my home, too. Peaceful, earthy, calming, natural. You've displayed them with your always-exquisite taste. Thank you for sharing these with us!

www.thecenterofmyself.spaces.live.com

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you all for stopping by! I love to hear from all of you.

Rose, thank you so much for your kind comments. You are always such an uplifting, thoughtful gal & I appreciate you! I couldn't post back to you on your blog without joining, so I hope you see this! Good health to you, lady!

Rhoda

Marilyn in NM said...

Rhoda, the sea shells look so refreshing and like they came right out of the ocean.
I have a small collection that I got when we were in San Diego a few years ago but mine are so very small. You've inspired me to do something with them, though. Thank you!
Marilyn in NM

Donna, The Decorated House said...

The seashells are such a sweet prelude to summer right around the corner. They look at home in your new house.

That spot looks perfect for your new picture.
Donna

Jen Kershner said...

Oh, I love shells too! I love your mix.

Anonymous said...

I love that shade of blue best and the shells are wonderful! You have the right touch rhoda!