Saturday, March 10, 2007

Yardsale Season is here again....


















You know that adreneline rush you get when you hit the yardsales, especially at the beginning of the season?? Well, I knew yardsales would be gearing up this month, so picked up the paper yesterday & saw that one of my favorite neighborhoods near my house (Mt. Laurel) was having their annual yardsale this a.m. starting at 7 a.m. I woke up early, excited to get going....it was a nice chilly a.m. & I grabbed a cup of coffee & ran out the door at 6:30. I knew it was a good sale, since I went last year & anticipated finding some good stuff.....and I wasn't disappointed at all. I could have bought more, but only allotted myself $20 to see what I could find that I just couldn't live without.

One of the first stops produced this beautiful, heavy iron armillary on a stand (all one piece) for $10. I snapped that up immediately & knew that if that was the only thing I found today, I would be a happy camper. You never know if you should blow most of your money right off the bat, cause what else is lurking around the next corner, ya know? You fellow yardsalers will know what I'm talkin' about!

















Just around the next corner, I found this sweet vintage print for $5.00. It's an original watercolor & has really pretty colors, as well as original frame. How could I pass up this cutie-pie?!

So, I had already spent $15, with $5 left in my pocket...just anticipating what else I might be missing out on. There was a lot of nice stuff there, but I simply don't have room for a lot more, so I have to be really choosy about what I bring home.

One thing I've learned in my years of yardsaling....if you see something, keep your hands on it until you decide. I stopped at one place & immediately was drawn to the jewelry laying on the table. I asked the husband what the price was for the jewelry & he said that his wife would be right back...so I meandered around the other tables until she made an appearance & by that time another lady had picked up 2 necklaces that I was looking at. We both asked prices & she said $1 or $2 for each piece. I thought the other lady would buy all of them & I would lose out...I went next door, came back & she had laid down the one I really wanted! So, I grabbed it up for $1.00...and that's real turquoise, girls! I already have turquoise earrings that will be smashing with this necklace!

And lastly, a pretty ceramic finial in blues & browns for $2.00. So, I scored some pretty neat stuff today & had a ball doing it. It was all over in about an hour...you know, the early bird gets the worm & all that...it's SO true in yardsaling. You gotta get out there early.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE YARDSALES!!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 friends stopped by:

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

Hello; I recently discovered your blog! :)
I am an avid yard-saler too...... they don't really get into full swing here until May, and I can hardly wait. I can relate to what you shared.... the getting up early, the anticipation of what you might find. Oh, and the lesson about picking up something you like and carrying it around until you decide. I learned that one the hard way one too many times! :)

PAT said...

Rhoda, you scored some real treasures today! I love the armillery. It's going to look wonderful in your garden.

Everything else looks great, too!

I love yardsaling. I usually go with my daughters. We have so much fun. We do the sales early, then have breakfast on the way home.

Pat

Carol Bennett said...

Whew, the season has started hasn't it? I love a good yard sale!!The armillary is great looking and only $10!. Wow. Have you ever done the 450 mile yard sale? We go a couple of days every year. We started in Gadsden last year and worked our way back home, great deals, loads of fun!
Carol
http://ourreddoor.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I loooove all of your yard sale finds! What a lucky day you had.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how you use the armillary and finial! And the turquoise necklace will be a great accent for your brilliant blue eyes. (Like you, I have found some great treasures at yardsales. But here, they won't begin til next month.)

Btw, thanks for answering my questions in an earlier blog post. To answer yours: You may remember my name from a while back at the Great Impressions board. (But since there have been so many members there, it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't -- lol.) And I got the info about your blog from one of the current members.
Happy sales to you!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Donna...I did remember your name from GI, but it had been a long time. I thought that might be how you found me!

I just love those yardsales & get so excited every year when they begin again. Please come by & visit me anytime!

Rhoda

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, and you were the Donna who asked about pics of my sister too, right? I'm trying to get all the Donna's straight!

Rhoda

Cindy said...

Okay, now I'm going to have to start hitting the yardsales. I usually do flea markets and thrift stores but you persuaded me to try out the yardsales! What great deals you got!

Marilyn in NM said...

Rhoda, what great finds! I love to go yardsaling but there aren't many that I'd score like you did. Can't wait to see what you do will all your great treasures.
Marilyn in NM

Betty Jo said...

Hi, I followed your link from Amber's. Your blog is lovely. Great yard sale finds. I've enjoyed my visit. Drop by to see me sometimes. xoxox

the tattered nest said...

Hi, I just came across your blog...I will be back..the garage sales haven't started here yet,can't wait. You bought some great things! and only spent 20.00...you go girl!

Anonymous said...

Hi there...

What a nice job you've done on the banner your blog looks great !! Still have not tried to decoupage...going to though, thanks for the tips.

Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

Oh girl ~ you hit the jackpot!! WooHoo! I love the armillary! Wow! And the watercolor! And the necklace! And the finial! Look at all of those treasures for $20!! Yep, we LOVE yard saling!
xo,
Kim

Betty said...

Rhoda,
I just came over from Kim's lovely blog and Sister, we are kindred spirits I can already tell!

I love home and finding those treasures that are just waiting to be discovered. I have been blessed so many times to find that particular thing that maybe I didn't even know I needed but when I saw it, I knew it was just what I was looking for!

Drop by for a visit anytime/
Betty at Country Charm

Janice said...

Wow Rhoda.... You certainly find real treasures at your yard sales.... I can only dream.... Is there a secret? Should I be going to certain demographics?

Congrats on this weekend's treasures !!

janice

Anonymous said...

HURRAY for yardsales! You found some FANTASTIC STUFF! still too cold here for yarsales but soooon my friend!