Friday, March 30, 2007

Vulcan Statue in Birmingham

I am an official Birminghamian now...I've visited the Vulcan! Had lunch with some girlfriends on Wednesday & after lunch, we all decided to go & visit Vulcan. It was such a beautiful spring day & perfect for a ride to the top. Three of us are new to town & are getting out to see all the sights that B'ham offers. The other gal is a native & had never visited Vulcan either. Just goes to show...you can live somewhere all your life and not do all the tourist things. Case in point...I grew up in Atlanta, but never went to the Coca-Cola museum.

We went through the little museum they had set up and found out that he is made out of iron...Birmingham is known for being an iron/steel city & this is where the majority of the wealth in the city came from. Now, all the steel plants are closed down, but the heritage of that industry remains. Vulcan was built for the St. Louis 1904 World's Fair & after the fair, he came to reside over the City of Birmingham. I know there's a lot more to the story than what we saw, but that's the bare minimum facts. Here's more info, if you'd like to read more about him: Vulcan This was a mansion tucked into the trees, right below the Vulcan...not too shabby, huh?? And moi...the view from the top was spectactular! Birmingham really is a beautiful city. I love the rolling hills (which I didn't realize were so plentiful until I moved over here). I really love my newly adopted Southern city...a little like a small Atlanta, but I sure don't miss the traffic! There's a great neighborhood yardsale happening early on Sat. a.m., so guess where I'll be?? I'll be sure to share any goodies I find with ya'll. And, I have another project on the horizon...I redid my laundryroom last year & got it all decorated with birdhouses & bunnies. It's really cute & I love it, but always planned to put a black/white tile floor down. So, I found some peel & stick tiles at Lowes & brought them home yesterday. Guess I'll be working on that this weekend too!


Have a wonderful weekend ALL!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Oh, he's the Roman god of fire! Ya know, I kept saying to myself "why do they have a statue of a vulcan (as in Star Trek)". Goodness! The part about painting blue overalls on him was very funny.

Birmingham looks like a lovely city. My husband goes there on business a couple of times a year.

Hope you got my email about the tiles and hope you find some goodies at the yardsale!
Manuela

Tracey said...

Rhoda, I have always wanted to visit the Vulcan every time we come to Birmingham, because Rick & Bubba talk about it all the time!

You're right, Birmingham is like Atlanta without all the traffic and without all the thugs! I love it too!

Looks like a beautiful day and a fun time!

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, what a fun day! I know how you feel about the local scenery...I've never been to Graceland (and I'm a lifer here). I know, it's shameful...

My younger son always looks for Vulcan when we pass through Birmingham, so he will be excited to see your photos. BTW, you look so pretty! That's a good color for you.

I'll be anxious to see your finds, and your floor, too!

Susan P. said...

I had to laugh when I read this post because I feel like I have already seen the statue. I am a big lover of the Southern Sisters mystery books (takes place in Birmingham) and they are always talking about the Vulcan statue! I was just reading one this afternoon! It was nice to "see" it in person, thanks:)

Sandy said...

Hey, Rhoda (I think I called you Rhonda before, oops!): Wish I could go yard saling w/ya! I think we'd have a blast.
I'm out of town for a week so just catching up on comments. It's been really fun reading your site, and thanks for the great comments on mine.
Sandy

Betty said...

Rhoda,
Sounds like a fun day out with the girls.

I've never been to B'Ham. That's a future trip to take.....

You really look pretty in that color top!

Thank you for your prayers for Marion and Nelle. I know they they appreciate every one of them.

Hope you find lots of treasures tomorrow at the 'sale'......

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Have fun peeling and stickin'!
I love that look and those tiles always come out looking good.

That long view of the city is really pretty.
Donna

Susie Q said...

I always thought Birmingham was quite a pretty city. We ised to go through it often when we lived in that part of the world. Your pictures were quite nice. You are such a pretty lady!
Black and white tiles are such a great look. Have fun sticking!
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie,
I visited B'ham and the Vulcan way back in 1961. It's a great city, I loved it and remember it well due to the food poisoning I got from shrimp at a convention I was attending at the time.....lol. I can laugh now, not then.

I'm happy that you're happy with your new home town.

Hugs,
Judy

Tonja said...

When my husband and I were in college...before we married...we used to go up to the Vulcan at night to "look at the lights"...and we did actually look at the lights...sometimes. :) :)
It really is magical to see the lights at night from that viewpoint,though. There is so much beauty in Birmingham. Have you seen Samford University from the Vestavia viewpoint. It is so breathtaking. Good luck on your treasure hunt.

Lallee said...

Oh Rhoda, as soon as I saw the Vulcan I remembered one of the books I read by Anne George, who is sadly no longer living. I adored her light mystery sisters series. I forget which one, but the Vulcan was in one of the later stories. Your photos of Birmingham are very nice, and you look beautiful in the
B' scape.

Anonymous said...

For a long time I lived in Homewood...behind Vulcan's left cheek. The 4th of July they have the big fireworks display. The view was awesome!- butt cheek and all.