Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Fresh Coat of Paint

BEFORE:

For over a year, I've been meaning to give the front door a fresh coat of black paint...and I finally got around to it this weekend. The color was faded to a dark charcoal gray & the brass handset was weathered & faded too. So, I got out a can of black paint (oil-based, ugh!) and put on 2 coats of fresh black. Then, to spruce up the handset & kickplate, I painted it with Sophisticated Finishes in Blonde Bronze. It's not perfect, but it looks SO much better...had a hard time getting rid of the lap marks with this oil-based paint. But, I'm happy with it for now!
BEFORE:

After talking about the Tomato Basil Soup recipe....I had to make some, so for those who haven't tried it, here's what it looks like, ready to eat. We had this for dinner last night, with some crusty Publix Italian 5 grain bread, a nice green salad & Waldorf salad. We love fruit & I try to have it around all the time. My hubby will eat fruit if I cut it up like this....he loves it this way! Here's the recipe I posted earlier: Tomato Basil Soup and added here again for ease.

La Madeleine's Tomato Basil Soup

4 C. tomatoes, peeled, cored & chopped or 4 C. canned whole tomatoes, crushed (I used the canned...I like easy!)

4 C. tomato juice & part vegetable stock or chicken stock (I use chicken stock)12 to 14 washed fresh basil leaves

1 C. heavy cream (told you it was yummy...this is why!)

1/4 lb. unsalted butterSalt to taste

1/4 tsp. cracked black pepperPreparation:Combine tomatoes, juice and/or stock.

Puree, along with the basil leaves, in small batches in blender or food processor.Return to saucepan & add cream & butter, while stirring over low heat. Garnish with basil leaves & serve with your favorite crusty bread.Note: in the directions, it does say to simmer the tomatoes, juice & stock first & then put it in the blender, but I never do that. I always puree first in blender, then start it simmering & add the rest. You can easily adjust the amounts up or down depending on how much you want to make.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 friends stopped by:

Tracey said...

The door looks great!

Gotta try that soup! Tomato basil is my all-time favorite with tomato artichoke running a close second!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Door (from what I can see) looks great. My poor old gal needs new paint and fixin' everywhere....but I think when we are 100 we might need some paint and fixin' too :)

Susie Q said...

I think the door looks amazing! I paonted our door last year and it is not easy to get those lap marks correct is it?

That soup looks delicious...as does the salad. We love both here. And your photos were delicious too!

If it is alright, I am going to add your blog to my friend's list.

Have a sweet Thursday!

Hugs,
Sue

Betty said...

The door looks very nice and the hardware looks new. I need to refresh our front door hardware, too.Thanks for the idea.

The soup and fruit salad looks very appetizing....

Naturegirl said...

Your front door looks amazing with the grey paint!Yummo both dishes! Love the sound of tom. basil soup!hugs NG

Donna, The Decorated House said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna, The Decorated House said...

Sorry my delete, I'm making up words this time of night!
Anyway...
Your door looks really nice with the new coat of black paint. It's much richer with a fresh coat.

PAT said...

Rhoda...
The door looks great! I finally made a decision about our front door color, last year!

The soup looks delicious. Waldorf Salad is one of my favorite salads!

Mary said...

Rhoda - you really did a fabulous job on the front door - oil-based is so hard to work with......and to clean up!
Seeing that appetizing Waldorf Salad has made me realize I haven't had one in ages so that is going to be on the menu any day now. Last night I did a soup post on ACROSS THE POND - do visit me and read about my take on "SOUPer Suppers".
Love your blog. I'll be back to view often as your homes is gorgeous.
Have a fabulous day and enjoy the azaleas - mine are popping out after the rain last night!
~ Mary ~

Southern Heart said...

You did a great job on your door! (no surprise to me!), and it's amazing how that finish freshened the hardware. Your meal looks so yummy, also. I'm a fruit lover, too, especially as the weather begins to heat up.

willzmom said...

Great job on the door, it looks terrific! My door and trim needs to be painted, it gets so weather beaten. I've gotta try the soup recipe, it looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Your door looks fantastic! Black is such a classy color. You painted the hardware? It looks brand new in the picture. I've never painted with oil based paint - always been too afraid of the cleanup involved!

That salad looks yummy - wish I were having that for lunch!
Manuela

Tonja said...

O.K. I'm supposed to be dieting...but now I'm starving. The salad looks divine, as does the soup. I wonder if I can keep that imagine while I'm eating my melba toast?
The door looks great,too! But, oil paint...yuck!

CG said...

Wonderful! I love black doors, espcially freshly painted ones. :-)

Susan P. said...

What a fabulous makeover on your door! I am going to have to try the soup recipe because I love tomato basil soup but I have only had it out of the can:) Your salad looks so yummy and I love the pretty dish!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a perfect dinner for a day like today. thanks for sharing.

ohAmanda said...

Oh, I love La Madeline's tomato basil. But when I saw it had 4billion grams of fat in it, I almost died...then had another helping, of course!

Nan said...

Your door looks great.
Thanks for the recipe. If you get a chance, stop by for my chicken velvet soup.
Nan

Missy said...

I have bunko tonight and am taking this soup. It was way easier to go to your blog than to try and dig up my old recipe for it! Thanks!

Missy