Monday, March 26, 2007

Native Azaleas are beautiful!


At least I think that's what these are...if anyone knows any different, please tell me, since I'm under the assumption that these beautiful pink blossoms are indeed, native wild azaleas. We are surrounded by woods in our neighborhood & I was walking down the park road which borders our neighborhood. Out in the edge of the woods, I saw this big shrub covered in these beautiful blossoms, so I got closer to investigate. I've never seen a native azalea this color, but I've heard they also come in pink. I talked my DH into going back with me on Sat. & we dug up 3 babies & planted them in the backyard...hope we can keep them going and then they will grow & give us blossoms of our own.

I couldn't resist clipping some branches for my vase!
Posted by Picasa

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 friends stopped by:

La Tea Dah said...

Oh, these are beautiful! And to think they are WILD! Wow, what a blessed gift of nature!

morninglorycottage said...

I just found your blog and I love it. You have a great site. Thanks for letting me "peek" around.

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, I don't know, either...but they're beautiful! I love how the flowers are almost shaped like honeysuckle (it will be time for that before we know it, also). I hope that they do well in your yard, too! Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures.

Lallee said...

Yes, I believe they are wild azaleas. I remember seeing them when we lived briefly in Georgia and South Carolina. Your pictures show them off beautifully. I would have had to make a bouquet, too!

Betty Jo said...

Oh Rhoda these are stunningly beautiful. I would have brought them inside too. I'm not at all sure what they are, but they definitely look like a wild species of azalea to me. xoxo

Marilyn in NM said...

Rhoda, I'm so jealous of all the beautiful vegetation and plants you have in the South. We just don't have the variety of flowers here.

Susie Q said...

Just the prettiest flowers...
and that asparagus recipe was wonderful! We tried it on Sunday. Thank you for sharing!
Spring is surely here.
Hugs,
Sue

Sandy said...

Rhonda, you're my kinda girl!
Thrify, garage-saling and all :)
I love the flowers. Glad I found your site!

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Simply beautiful!

Tonja said...

Afraid I'm a "pretty pink flower" kind of girl...so I don't know about REAL names. But these are beautiful! I wonder if they will last longer than the "regular ole hot pink variety " I have in my yard? Oh! the art work of God!

Anonymous said...

Yes, those look like native azaleas. I'm always sorry I passed up the opportunity to buy some at the Lakewood flemarket a couple of years ago, because I haven't seen them for sale anywhere. Lucky you, they're beautiful!

Manuela

willzmom said...

Yes, they are wild azaleas and very beautiful-luck girl. Enjoy them.

Anonymous said...

OH gosh yes! Wild A's for sure and truly beautiful cut them for sure! enjoy! I'm waiting for the tons of lilac soon to bloom;)

PAT said...

These are gorgeous! I've not seen them, so guess we don't have them in this part of Missouri. Maybe southeast MO. Wish we had them here!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Those are beautiful! I love seeing the flowers as they bloom inch by inch, or mile by mile I guess, further north. They looks wonderful in your vase.
Donna

savvycityfarmer said...

Thanks for stopping by today...glad we met...I want the heading from your blog.

linda t said...

Oh and btw, I love your blog banner!
I got get me one of those!

Tracey said...

Wow, these are gorgeous! I love that they have that "wild" look!

Lucy said...

Rhoda, you've done a wonderful job on your blog. I really enjoy it along with all the pics of your beautiful home. I'm so happy you're enjoying your new city and finding all those wonderful treasures.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

If you visit me www.thescentedcottage.blogspot.com

the fifth post down you can see our azaleas in bloom....I hope you will leave a comment with your favorite scent so you will be entered to receive some wooden roses too.

Your blog is beautiful!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you ALL for stopping by to see me...I'm so happy to make new friends & I will be coming by your blogs too! I so much appreciate all the nice comments...really makes my day!! Please drop by often. I'm always up to something....

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Your blog is beautiful and I love your azalea pictures. I had dark pink ones in my yard at my precious home and they always bloomed beautifully in the sping. I'll be back to visit your blog often.