Friday, March 23, 2007

Petals from the Past.....


Is it just me, or does something come over you this time of year & just gives you the urge to dig in the dirt?? And when you get out & see all those blooms & blossoms in the nurseries, it really kicks into gear...I want them all! I visited a delightful nursery here in AL yesterday. Went with a ladies group down to Petals from the Past in Jemison, AL (about an hour south of B'ham) ...a wonderful family-owned nursery that was just amazing. I had heard all about it, but this was my first visit. I was in for a treat! We got the grand tour from the owner (who has a degree in landscape design & horticulture). He & his wife own the nursery & treat you like you're family. We all got some great advice from Jason, the owner & he took time to answer any questions we had. One thing that really amazed me & I thought it was genius...they grow blackberries on vines just like grapes grow, so that there are rows in between, no weeds or snakes, & you just walk along picking the berries...all neat & orderly, how cool is that? He told us that they get ripe around May & you can go & pick to your hearts content, so guess where me and DH will be heading soon?! There were also fig trees & blueberries in abundance, all for picking when harvest time comes. I would definitely recommend going there if you haven't been & live in the area....it is truly a treat. I bought some reseeding annuals that he showed us growing in the yard....I'm all about reseeding plants! The house that you see, which is now the nursery store, was an old farmhouse that they moved to the property...it was once a few miles down the road. It has an old-fashioned feel & they sell old-fashioned heirloom plants that your granny might have grown. Lots of old roses for the rose lovers out there. Me...I stick to Knock-Out roses that are easy to take care of...I'm a little leery of growing roses, cause I've heard how hard they are to take care of. It's a charming place to visit & they have lots of great garden ornaments too. Oh, and all their plants are grown in AL, which has to be a good thing. Hope some of you get there one day!

DH & I had a real bunny spotting last night right after dinner...we've been wondering when they would come out again this year...and then, there he was in the backyard. We had so much fun last year watching 3 bunnies frolic around in the backyard, putting on a show for us! They are so darn cute! I scared him when the flash went off...and away he scampered, but I know he will be back.

Who likes asparagus?? We sure do! Just a quick recipe to share with y'all...I watched Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee recently & she did these roasted asparagus. I used her exact recipe, but left off the kalamata olives she added. These are SO delish (as Rachel would say!)...asparagus must be in season right now, cause it's been really cheap lately & I've been buying it for about 4 weeks now. This recipe is one of the best I've found, I always have just steamed it before, but this one is great.

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Chop ends off asparagus, drizzle with a little olive oil, place on baking sheet (so they are all spread out), sprinkle with lemon pepper, bake for about 12-15 min. until crisp tender. Try it...it's SO yummy!

Happy Gardening Everyone! Posted by Picasa

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda...Aren't family owned nurseries, just the best? This one looks like a wonderful place to visit. We have a couple near us. I always find the nicest plants, there.

The asparagus looks yummy!

Elizabeth said...

I will surely try your asparagus recipe. I love your blog. I come here often.

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I've been cooking my asparagus that way and I could just eat nothing but that!

Anonymous said...

Those are THE BEST kinds of nurserys and what a lovely one your able to visit..bunnies? Gosh they run all around up here and are so darn cute checking in on you:()! Been so busy I barely have time to play, so I'm making time tonight!xo

jessielavon@yahoo.com said...

Hi darling,just passing threw,Ime in Demopolis,come on over 4 a visit

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda - sounds like a great nursery! I love the idea of the blackberries grown like grapes. So were they on an arbor? I have blueberry bushes and there's nothing better than picking some early in the morning and having them in your breakfast! I find that they're really easy to take care of and they're very pretty all year round.

I too like Knockout Roses - I don't have to spray them and they have a long bloom time!

Manuela

Gypsy Purple said...

I had a lovely time at your blo...glad I came to visit!!!

Tracey said...

Love asparagus, will have to try that!

Also, my mom is the biggest fan of knock-out roses! They are beautiful and she too, says very easy to take care of!

Naturegirl said...

Love asparagus done this way! You must try brussel sprouts done the same ..you'll never eat them any other way! Roasting carmelizes and brings out the sugars!
Oh I LoVe going into garden stores after a long cold winter to see all the Spring beauties smiling at us! I am also having fun watching the bunnies scamper around the garden which just had a melting of snow due to a warm break in weather!:)NG

Anonymous said...

I just stopped into your blog~ it looks like we are neighbors (of sorts!) I have been to petals from the past many times~ I could just spend the day wandering. Today I left my pennies at Pikes...Time to start digging in the dirt.

I posted on Asparagus just this week. Wonder if it was because Publix was having a sale? Come visit!

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, I so enjoyed the tour with you through the nursery. It seems like a great one, and this time of year they certainly call out to you, don't they?

The asparagus looks delicious, and sounds so easy to prepare. You always share the best recipes...I can't wait to try this one, too!

Andrea

Tracey said...

I would love to join you in digging in the dirt right now; unfortunately we're still dealing with rain and mud. I'll have to enjoy seeing blogs like your's where the sun actually shines for more than a couple hours a week! Have fun getting dirty =)

Carol said...

Spring has finally arrived in Iowa. I can't wait to dig in the dirt too! :)

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda...Just stopping by to let you know, the asparagus was fabulous! I served it, on the back porch, with cold roasted chicken, a salad and a very nice Missouri white wine! Yum! Thank you for posting the recipe!!

Anonymous said...

I really had the urge to visit the nurseries this weekend, but resisted... I have a completely free weekend next weekend and you bet you can catch me there!

Betty Jo said...

What a wonderful nursery. I would love to visit there. I soooooo love asparagus, especially this time of year when it is so fresh and plentiful. Your recipe sounds super and so easy; I'll have to try it soon. I've already been planning the first meal in our new place for hubby and me. But, first we have to get there and unpacked. xoxo

Lallee said...

Don't you wish asparagus was in season all year? I cook mine the exact same way except I squeeze a hint of lemon, a little lemon zest, and shredded parmesan cheese. Yummo.

Anonymous said...

Oooooooh Rhoda! I make my asparagus that way too! The only difference is I sprinkle some Kosher salt on top. Yours looks delicious ~ love, love asparagus!I'm so glad you got to visit the nursery with your friends ~ sounds like a wonderful time! AND a bunny sighting! How perfect for you! The neighborhood bunnies must know that your yard is the place to be!
xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Rhoda how I love nurserys. So many beautiful plants, I just wanna take them all home with me. Enjoyed the pics you took. And look you found more bunnies. Did ya' buy any to add to your collection? HE! HE! HE! Love this time of year. Everything is blossoming in our yard and I just love to sit and watch. Happy Gardening! Nicole Cedar Creek Texas

Justabeachkat said...

Hi

I found your blog through another one. Very nice. I've enjoyed my visit. Thanks for the asparagus recipe. I love them and will certainly try this recipe.

linda t said...

Oooh, love asparagus sooo much!
In fact we have much in common... so excited to have found you through your comment on Sandy's blog!
I too, just turned 50... love all the things you love!
I'll be back Rhoda!
Come see me if you'd like!

MAGNOLIAROSE said...

Hi Rhoda, Just read your article about Petals form the Past and decided to join. I own the Bed & Breakfast in Jemsion called the Magnolia Rose Manor. I have an acre of beautiful gardens that Jason and Shelly have helped me with. They have guest from out of state that come to Alabama and they stay with us. I would like to invite to come to the Inn the next time you come. Tour our gardens. I love your recipe for asparagus. Contact me when you have time. ps I love Petals they are wonderful.