Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day Memories

This Mother's Day was a really good one. I went over on Sunday morning & joined my parents at church. We came home & then went over to my sister's house, where she had prepared lunch for all of us. My hubby, Peter, spent the day with his mom in B'ham, so I went alone this time to spend time with my family. It was a beautiful summery day & we sat on the porch & enjoyed the fresh breeze. I know my Mama was happy to have all her chicks with her this year!

It's just me and my sister, Renee (she's 2 years older than me) and she has only one daughter, Lauren (who's 24). Since I don't have kids of my own, Lauren's the only grandchild & my parents absolutely dote on her. She's a little spoiled (since we've all been guilty of that), but we are so very proud of her. Lauren is especially close to my parents & informed me today when we were chatting on the phone that she's never leaving the Atlanta area, cause she does not want to be away from her grandparents. I think she'll stick to that one too! Lauren is graduating next Saturday from The University of Georgia Lawschool. She finished her 4 year degree & has now completed 3 years of lawschool. Think we're a little proud of that girl? Yep, we are! She has a job lined up this fall at a local law firm in Marietta (where they all live).
My niece, Lauren; Sister, Renee; Mom, Iris; and me
Here we are in the shade of the deck. As usual, I have no clue why some pics open larger & some don't. This one seems to be the only clickable one! My sister made chicken divan, green beans & almonds, black-eyed peas & homemade rolls! It was delish! I brought the strawberry shortcake & it was yummy too!

Here's my sister & brother-in-law's back deck where they spend a lot of time. It's a beautiful paradise in their backyard. They spent about 3 years landscaping & working on this backyard & my BIL, Bruce, built the pond from scratch. It's truly a backyard tropical oasis & they love having parties & spending time out there in the summer. Thought I'd share some of the backyard pics with my fellow gardeners. Their lot is not that big & slopes up in the back, so it was perfect for a stream & waterfall. They have koi & goldfish in the pond. Hope you all enjoy the pics! It was a perfect day to take in the fresh air & beauty of the backyard.
My little garden redo didn't run yet, but it is supposed to hit the paper this Saturday. We are leaving then for a week at the beach, so I'll have to post that when we return.
Hope you all have a wonderful sunshiny week!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

32 friends stopped by:

Tonja said...

What a beautiful family! You all look so happy. The pictures are great of the beautiful gardens. What a lot of work...but surely worth it! Have a great time at the beach. Bet it is perfect weather there now.

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, what a beautiful family, all of you! I can see that both loveliness and decorating/gardening talents run in the family. Their place is just gorgeous! I also got hungry looking at that yummy food!

I know that you must be proud of your niece, she's a beauty, and smart and ambitious to boot. How wonderful that she's also so family oriented.

I'm going to miss you while you're away! I hope that you will have a super vacation...you so deserve it!

Love, Andrea

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post -- love to see and hear about your family! What nice folks! And your sister's deck (LOVE the diamond floor!) -- and backyard are simply gorgeous -- really charming and elegant!

Jan x (Teacats)

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda!

Beautiful photos of your beautiful family!! I know how proud you must be of your niece.

Your sister's garden is amazing. I'm going to show these photos to J. He will love this garden, too!

Pat

Betty said...

Rhoda, What a wonderful picture of the four of you....All beautiful southern ladies...I think your niece favors you...The home is fantastic and the landscaping magnificent! I see that decorating runs in the family..The food looks scrumptious...I'm anxious to see the newspaper artice.....Betty

Diane said...

Beautiful family! Loved the pics of the backyard as well. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Hurray for your niece. Not only is she smart, but to be so devoted to her grandmother is very admirable. I will certainly miss your posts while you are gone to the beach. Have a fun and safe trip. Diane

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
Your family looks so nice. You all look so much alike. The lunch looked really yummy. I need a recipe for blackeyed peas. I have always wanted to try making them.
Your sister's backyard is beautiful.
Congrats to your niece. My daughter's fiance graduated last May from Pepperdine Law. It is not an easy thing to do.
Glad you and your family had such a nice Mother's Day.
Rosemary

Nadine said...

Hi found you from Jill's blog. What a lovely blog you have - I love the header. The pictures of the backyard are stunning.

Tracey said...

First things first...

GO DAWGS!!! Sic 'em! Woof Woof Woof!

Also, LOVE the pics! Can he come re-do my back yard? WOW!

Glad you had a good Mother's Day!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh my goodness! Beautiful! And I mean everything and everybody. I love the photo of your family. Their backyard and porch is amazing! Absolutely amazing! And the food...oh my...now I'm hungry.

Don't forget to call while you're here. And I hope to see you in church.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Rhoda,

It looks like you had a wonderful time!

The garden is just wonderful....thanks for sharing your family, your food (eek, yummy!!) and your sister's lovely garden.

Lidy

Simply Me Art said...

Just De-Lurking to say that Your Sister and BIL yard and Porch are Just Beautiful. I can see how much pride they take in there home. I Absolutely love your site and your home is an Inspiration. I am also an Avid Garage Saler! Thank you for such a lovely site. Jamie Simplymeart.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your day with us. You ladies are beautiful, and your niece sounds like a wonderful young woman.

Love your sister's deck and yard. I noticed she painted the floor of her deck in black and white checkerboard. It looks so cool!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! What a lovely family you have, it's great that you're all so close. Your neice sounds like a wonderful young lady.

Love that b&w checked floor (of course)! Their yard is so beautiful! I read that it's good to have a Heron statue if you have fish because Heron's are territorial and if there's one at a pond already, others won't come.

The food looked yummy especially the chicken divan!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

WOW! What beautiful woman! Rho tell Lauren Congratulations for me, I'm an admirer from afar:) I sure do love this post! Also that painted deck is awesome! psst....come see me:)xo

Anonymous said...

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/madsmerc/hospitalitymh.jpg
ok dearie I tweeked a bit this mornin! hope you like it better!

Suzanne said...

What a beautiful day, beautiful garden and beautiful family. I love the diamond pattern on their back porch.
Congratulations to your niece.

Suzanne

oh, and the food looks so yummy!

Betty Jo said...

Now that is one gorgeous group of Southern Belles! Oh My, what an incredible garden. That must have taken a lot of work to complete. What a yummy meal too. We haven't had strawberry shortcake yet this year, so I took a little nibble of yours. Have a fun time at the beach. xoxo

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Mmmm I especially love the black and white checkered floor...and the first porch with the ceiling fans and plants is sooo southern :)Don't you love it when family members have amazing places that you get to gather on occasion?

Betty said...

You are entered in my little drawing for my 100th posting...
Did you find your number of postings?

Colors of Me said...

Beautiful photos of your family. I am just stopping by to say I absolutely love your blog! you are so talented!!!

Marilyn in NM said...

Rhoda, yes, sleeping in my own bed was great! Thanks for the welcome back.

Your sisters backyard is beautiful. It's so nice that you and your husband spent the day with each of your Mom's. How special! The food looked yummy and the dessert looked absolutely scrumptious!

Can't wait to see pics of your garden redo in the paper.

OldBagNewTricks said...

What a lovely family and a nice tranquil setting for such a lovely Mother's Day. I'm thinking my Children's Garden (Francie's Final Place) will be modeled after this.... dramatically scaled down. For example... I will have ,ore of a puddle than water fall into a pond.

Jenny

Lallee said...

Rhoda, all of you are beautiful ladies and I see where the good genes came from ;-) It sounded like a perfect day for all of you. And I see gardening runs in the family. Tell your sister that her yard is gorgeous~porch, too. If I were to go look in the mirror, I think my face would be green with envy right now. Fortunately my dinner will be ready in ten minutes, because I am HUNGRY after seeing that delicious plate. Can't wait to see beach pictures. Hope the vacation is wonderful and relaxing with good weather.

CG said...

What a sweet pic of your family. And that yard is amazing! Love the painted deck too.

Have fun on your trip!

La Tea Dah said...

What a beautiful group of women you are! The love just shines from your faces --- very special! Happy Mother's Day to you --- a precious auntie to that darling niece! You have much to be proud of!

willzmom said...

Glad you had such a nice day with your Mom, sister and niece. Great pictures too, what a great backyard!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Wow, time flies way to fast! Lauren is graduating and your sis' garden has grown so much!
The pictures of you all are so sweet. Your mom must have been so happy to have you all there.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, you have a beautiful family! You are indeed blessed. I just love your Mother's name! Enjoy your break...I look forward to your posts when you return. By the way...the meal looked SOOOO good! You'll have to share that recipe for the Chicken Divan...I just love the different variations for it. :)

D~

Lana Manis said...

Beautiful family~
Beautiful food~
Beautiful Garden!

Thank you for sharing,
Lana

Susie Q said...

What a stunning family! And oh those lovely gardens...just too, too pretty for words.

Talent for creativity and beauty runs deep in your famly!

Your niece is a young lady in which to be proud! : )

What fun to have a beach vacation planned!

Hugs,
Sue

Mary said...

Rhoda - have a great beach trip!

Loved seeing you and your family - you, sis and Mom are so much alike and your pretty niece sounds like a really fabulous young woman.

Your sister's garden is beautiful and I know what a lot of hard work, and money, went into making it that way. I've been trying to talk DH into a pond or dry stream bed for a corner that gets run off, but it's such a big project and we don't think we could do it ourselves!
Hurry back - we'll miss hearing from you.