Wednesday, June 27, 2007

BLT Time!

Tomatoes are rolling in from the garden right now & you know what that means, right? Yep, BLT's & 'mater sandwiches. We love, love BLT's & with fresh tomatoes, it just doesn't get much better. And now it's even easier. I have an old bacon microwave cooker that wouldn't turn on my turntable (too big) & I heard about a handy-dandy new bacon cooker gadget that was out for cooking bacon in the microwave. I hadn't had time to look for it yet, but stumbled across a new one still in the box last weekend for $2.00 at a yardsale (retail price was $16) (I told you how I can always find things I need & am looking for at yardsales...like the lawn edger)! Now...let me tell you, this thing is the best. I tried it out & it works so great. Take out the slices & put them in the holder, cook on high for 5 minutes...and the bacon comes out just perfect. Easy to clean up too. I threw the box away, but just checked on line & here it is: Bacon Wave. Get one....NOW!!
Tomatoes in the window...just waiting to be sliced.

Here's the bacon after 5 minutes on high. All the grease collects at the bottom, which is a good thing.

It even comes with these little chopsticks to pick up the bacon with. The whole thing slid out all together.
And the slices just come apart like this...easy as can be & perfectly crisp, just the way I like it!
And here's the masterpiece...we enhaled them they were SO good!

BLT's are the best! Are you hungry yet??

Stumble Upon Toolbar

38 friends stopped by:

Tracey said...

Oh my word! I LOVE LOVE LOVE homegrown tomatoes! My mouth is watering just looking at those sandwiches!

I'll have to check out that bacon cooker. We've started doing ours in the oven on a wire rack with a cookie sheet under it. The bacon stays flat and not greasy at all!

Hmmmm...wonder where I can find a friend who grows their own tomatoes???!!! ;-) Wish we were closer!

Anonymous said...

I'll be right there Rho!

xo,
Kim

Justabeachkat said...

Man, do I love BLTs. I did a post about them recently and how I scramble my bacon since it doesn't matter to us if the bacon is flat or not. We eat these sandwiches so fast anyway. This bacon cooker does look easy though. Can it go in the dishwasher? Gonna go now and check out the site. Thanks for the info.

Hugs!
Kat

PAT said...

Well now, those BLT's look delicious!

I'll have to checkout the Bacon Wave. Seems the only time we have bacon is when "real tomatoes" are available.

Pat

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I'll take mine on Sourdough!
Perfect sandwich for the summertime. But only with real tomatoes!

Rosemary said...

OK, I'm officially starving now.
That looks sooo good. Our tomatoes in California aren't that great. You have to go to the farmers market to get really good ones. I've tried to grow them with no luck. So I am going to the farmers market tomorrow. I need to get one of those bacon cookers.
Thanks for the tips, as usual you are GREAT!!
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm wishin had one of those sandwiches right now! I'll have to look for that bacon cooker. It's good because the bacon doesn't sit in all that fat. Lucky you, my tomatoes are still green.

Manuela

Anonymous said...

You really can make food look good. Your pictures are great. You fix beautiful meals. I plan to have your pasta sauce Saturday. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Yum Yum......one of my favorites haven't had one in a lonnnnng time..... with a piece of provolone pls and hold the mayo. lol

Have you tried the bacon that's already cooked....you just pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds on a piece of paper towel..no mess... its excellent !!!

This is a pool day here in the NE its very, very HOT we may break the record of 96 degrees. Humid too.

Sending out cool vibs....
Kathy =)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

YUM!!! I want one! I have loads of fresh tomatoes too and they're just begging to be used this way.

Jennifer said...

Yummy! I had one for lunch today and had thought of writing about the wonderful goodness of it and here you have expressed my thoughts exactly! I hope that you enjoyed yours as much as I did mine!
Hugs~Jen

Lallee said...

Yes, I'm hungry now! That was my most favorite sandwich as a child. My mouth is watering and I'm not supposed to eat until dinner!

Cindy said...

Mmmm I love BLTs but my favorite is just soft white bread, mayo and tomotoes with salt and pepper. I've only had 2 ripe tomatoes so far but my tomato plant is 6 feet tall! I should have a lot later this summer. Can't wait!

Jill said...

Oh, that sandwich looks so delish. And, ironically, I was thinking about having BLTs for dinner tonight before I read your blog.

Michelle said...

I love a great BLT as well! YUMMMMMMMMM!

Ruth Welter said...

Hi Rhoda, thanks for your visit. Your garden is lovely as well. That is great that you grow tomatoes. I'm also a big BLT lover, one of my favorite sandwiches. I see your beautiful Hibiscus in the below entry...they are gorgeous. I have perennial Hibiscus also...mine don't bloom up here until mid/late July. I love those flowers, I feel they are the summer showpiece of my garden. My wish for you is lots of rain for your beautiful garden and veggies. I cannot say we've had much up north either, I'm out there every day watering. As always, thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. You made me hungry.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm.....to die for!! BLT's are my favorite.

Luv ya sweetie,
Judy (in McDonough)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I don't think there's anything better than fresh tomatoes right off the vine. I don't even wait to put them in a sandwich - just slice them, salt them, and eat!

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
This is my second comment to you today. I went out and got the best tomatoes that I could find. Guess what we are having tonight???
Rosemary

Leslie said...

Drool...my mouth is watering!

Susie Q said...

Oh how we love BLTs here! Nothing else is as tasty, especially with home grown 'maters! My Dad always had a huge garden and we had delicious tomatoes all season long. Yummy.

Yours look so good...that bacon gizmo is a must have I think! I will check into that!

Save a BLT for me please!!

Hugs,
Sue

B said...

I love, love, love BLT's, minus the mayo, though. Those look so incredibly yummy. We are waiting (not so patiently) for our tomatoes to grow - I'm contemplating picking them early and making some fried green tomatoes! Love those, too!

Julie said...

Well - there goes my diet!!! That looks so yummy. Nothing better than home grown tomatoes. This is the first year in a very long time that I have not grown them!

Sandy said...

Mmmm, I love BLT's.
You are a month or so ahead of us, with your harvest! I'm looking forward to tomatoes and roasting/freezing them! YUM.
Sandy

wisteriagirl said...

Love fresh tomatos and BLT's. Hope are tomatos will be ready soon. Will this bacon cooker fit on a carousel in the microwave?

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Rhoda, you are making my mouth water! BLT's are my all-time favorite sandwiches. We didn't get around to planting a garden this year but low and behold there are a lot of little tomatoes plants coming up on their own...we're just going to let them go to see what happens. I think they're mostly cherry tomato plants though...hopefully at least one plant will have good slicing tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering! Hope you made plenty of sandwiches as a few friends may be dropping by...

Marie x

Trudi said...

One of my favorite sandwiches. Our tomatoes are about a month away yet, but thry are over 4 feet tall! I may check out that cooker. I hate frying bacon.

Debra from Bungalow said...

BLTs are yummy! I had one with a juicy tomato while in TN. The bacon cooker looks interesting...cooking bacon is such a mess, so greasy.

Congrats on the sucess of your vintage shop and ebay. You've been a busy gal.

The French Nest said...

These look delicious (and I'm a vegetarian!) My dad cooks the bacon on the BBQ during the summer to mkae his all-time famous BLT sandwiches, and it's hard to resist!

Kate

SarahWhite said...

Mmmmmmmmmm. All I've got is a bunch of GREEN tomatoes!

You are killing me on the yard sale purchases...where was the Estate Sale? Boo hoo...I must have gone the other way.

Great idea with your store!

Anonymous said...

You have the most lovely figure. how do you manage to cook so much and keep it. what is the secret?
xo
Robin

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Glad you all got inspired to have a BLT now! LOL

That microwave tray really is great, so I hope you'll check it out too.

Sarah! That estatate sale was last Fri. in Brook Highlands. It was a good one...wish I could have bought more, including some furniture.

Robin, you are very kind. We normally try to eat very healthy, but I do have my weaknesses..namely, sweets...particularly ice cream! My saving grace is my commitment to exercise, been doing that for 25 years, so I can eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I keep working out.

I really appreciate you all stopping by & for all the great comments!

xo,
Rhoda

LivingTheLife said...

Ok...my first blog to you...been lurking for a bit now...but I couldn't resist commenting when I saw the BLT's (quess what we're having for dinner, tonight...I hope I can wait till then) and to let you know...I think there is going to be a "rush" on the bacon rack! I guess I better get mine quickly...great blog...love visiting...you have great taste!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love good east Texas tomatoes!!! You really have me craving some. I can even eat just a good ole tomato sandwich...really good on some sourdough bread!!! And Mayo not miracle whip is a must.

Beth said...

Saw your Bacon Wave photo and thought I'd let you in on a little secret. The chopsticks can be used to secure the pieces of bacon if you skewer them through the upright slots on the ends. Hope I explained that well enough for you to catch what I mean. You can certainly use them as chopsticks too!

Sue said...

Yum, it's BLT's for lunch today. Thanks for the inspiration. I need one of those bacon cookers.
Sue

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hi there -- I just bopped on over here from Lynne's Little Corner and I love your blog. It's absolutely beautiful.