Friday, June 1, 2007

June Garden Blooms

My Endless Summer hydrangea is really doing well. I just planted this one last year and it was pink then...now, with our soil, it has turned a nice shade of blue, which I don't mind at all. This little hydrangea is supposed to bloom all summer, so I can't wait to see how it does. It may outgrow this little bed I have it in.



Here it is in a tiny area next to the back gate, along with 2 hostas and some pink impatiens. It's not that big yet, but it sure packs a punch of color.






Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis is putting out lots of blooms.








Bachelor's Buttons are annuals, but are supposed to reseed themselves. Hope they do! This is the first time I've planted them.









One of my containers that I planted this year with Purple Fountain grass, white bacopa, vinca, and Portulaca.
















My perennial bed is blooming pretty steadily now. but we need rain SO BAD!!




These Stargazer lillies are just breathtaking. I picked up 3 of these plants at our Botanical Gardens sale a few weeks ago & now they are rewarding me with some pretty awesome blooms. They smell SO good too!
I don't think they bloom for long, so I'll have to enjoy them for now. I may even cut a few stems & put them in a vase, so we can enjoy them indoors too.
Daylillies are starting to pop out too. A friend here in town let me come over last year & dig up some of her daylillies & she has a lot of different colors. I have no idea what this one is, but I can't wait to see them all open up in the next month.
Oakleaf hydrangeas are native to AL and we were fortunate enough to have this big stand growing in our backyard. They are in full bloom now and are wonderful to look at. There's a bunny family that lives back here too.
More oakleafs....that's all my blooms for now. Hope you all have a lot blooming in your garden right now too. My pink hibiscus with blooms as big as saucers is about to bust out any day now. I'll be sure to share those with all of you too...they are awesome & bloom all summer.


Happy Gardening ya'll......
We're off to Atlanta today for my niece's graduation party on Saturday.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 friends stopped by:

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, these pictures are just breathtaking. I can't choose a favorite---they are all beautiful! I love daylillies (it's officially summer to me when I see them), and I haven't had luck with hydrangeas yet, so I'm enjoying seeing yours. You and Pat are both such gifted gardeners.

We are supposed to get rain this weekend, so I hope that you do, too. I also hope that you have a wonderful time at your niece's party! What an exciting time for all of you!

Love, Andrea

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda! Beautiful plantings!

B'ham, is a tad ahead of STL, with blooms. I can't wait for my ES Hydrangeas to bloom.

Pat
Back Porch Musings

La Tea Dah said...

Rhoda, your garden is beautiful! I enjoyed each and every flower picture!

LaTeaDah

Anonymous said...

I think it's been about two weeks since we have had any rain. Can't wait to see my water bill!

Your hydrangea is gorgeous they're my favorite flowering shrub and I envy your oakleaf hydrangeas. That is a gorgeous stand of them! They're beautiful in the fall when the leaves turn.

You've really done an amazing job for living at your house such a short time. You definately have a green thumb!

Manuela

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Girls, thanks for the sweet comments. I have to say though that I do a lot of selective photography when it comes to this yard!

Manuela, I am proud of what I've done already around here, but you should see the really, really ugly parts of it. Those don't make it on camera, LOL! The lawn is getting crunchy from lack of rain. YIKES!

Cheers!

KLKinFLA said...

Those are some beautiful plants! I love hydrangeas. We're with you on the rain thing.

Debra from Bungalow said...

How lucky you are to have a magnificent stand of oakleaf in your back yard.
I love everything you've done.
The colors of your flowers are so pretty, the hydrangeas, coreopsis! Dang bunnies eat my lilies.

My mom used to pick just one huge lily bloom and float it in a shallow dish.


No rain up here either, the lawn is like straw.Have a great wknd.

Anonymous said...

Nothing says southern summer like a huge, beautiful bush full of blue hydrangeas. Stunning!

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
Your garden is beautiful. I love Spring and Summer!!!!
Have a fun time at the graduation.
Talk to you soon,
Rosemary

Donna, The Decorated House said...

What wonderful pictures Rhoda!
Those native oakleafs are really beautiful. They must have perfect conditions out there.
It's fun to see this year's pictures of the areas you worked on last year. Everything is coming along great.
Your news article was so much fun to see. I hope you sent a copy to your old yard boy. ;)
Donna

sheila from life @ #17 said...

I've never tried bachelor buttons before, but yours are just beautiful...If I can remember, then I'll give them a whirl next spring :)

safe travels

Deb said...

Your garden is gorgeous! You have so many of my favourite perennials - we have the stargazer lilies as well (in yellow)...not in bloom yet, it will take a few more weeks here before we see that much colour in the garden :-}

Cindy said...

What a beautiful garden! My friend at work cut off a piece of her endless summer hydrangea and dipped in a rooting hormone, planted it a pot and gave it to me last year. This year it is still small but full of blooms. Hers was blue and mine is pink. Hydranges change color based on the PH level in the soil. She says she's started about 5 plants from just that one hydrangea.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

What a stunning garden!

I think my favorite is the hydrangea....no, the purple fountain grass...no wait, its the lilies,...oh but thoses hostas are gorgeous too...

Sue said...

Oh Rhonda,
Your pictures a glorious. Here in Michigan we have about another month before our gardens begin to bloom like yours in the south.

You will love your summer blooming hydrangea's, they really do bloom all summer long. I wish mine would turn blue, but like Cindy said, it depends on the soil, and my must not be right.

Love your Star Gazer's.

Sue
Life At Home

Suzanne said...

Rhoda~What beautiful photos! Your ES hydrangea is beautiful...mine is not doing very well. And the daylillies are gorgeous, one of my favorite flowers.

Suzanne

Betty said...

Rhoda, beautiful pictures....I set out an Endless Summer, Niko Blue, Annabelle and red hydrangeas this spring. My Endless Summer tends to be lavender-Pink but I've put sulphur around it that's suppose to turn it blue, hope it does. I have blue lace caps but like the plain old blue ones..we have lots of Oakleaf, too.

Happy weekend.....betty

Simply Me Art said...

Rhoda, Your Yard and Flowers are Amazing. I am Enveous of those Hydrangea's. The Stargazers and Day Lily's look Great. I wish I could do Hostas, to hot and Dry where I am. Orchids are Easy, you just need to be patient that is it. Start with a Phaelenopsis, easy to care for and hardy. Have a Great weekend. Jamie

Justabeachkat said...

Hi there! With my company here, I've had very little time to post or even catch up on everyone. I have a few minutes this morning so I'm doing a marathon read and then I'm off and running again. Loved catching up with you. Wow...everything looks soooo beautiful! I'm envious. My yard is looking good too. I'll try to take some photos soon to share. Hope your weekend is fun.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, your green thumb is in overdrive! Love how you are transforming your yard into a lush garden! Gorgeous!
xo,
Kim

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Everything looks so beautiful!! And I hope you have a wonderful weekend in Atlanta (makes me think of Scarlett O'Hara!!)

Tracey said...

please come help my yard!

Your's is just gorgeous!

Lallee said...

Beautiful blooms! I'm particularly interested in your Endless Bloom Hydrangea. I'll have to look for that one. Very pretty pictures, Rhoda.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Rhoda, I've really enjoyed looking the pictures of your beautiful flowers! Thank you for sharing them with us.

smilnsigh said...

All beautiful! But I'm especially interested in the blue hydrangeas. Wonder what kind of soil you have... what is the 'magic' ingredient?

We have some beautiful ones, that did that blue-color, at first. Mmmm, if they don't come out blue at the beginning this year, I'd like to know how to encourage it, next year.. What they would like us to add to the soil?

Mari-Nanci

Lacy said...

just beautiful, Rhoda!!!...we've got a couple more weeks til our flowers start coming on like yours!!...thanks for making the wait worth while!!!...Lacy

Melissa said...

Beautiful pics of your blooms!
The oakleaf hydrangeas are interesting looking!
Smiles-
Tootie

Cheryl Wray said...

Hey Rhoda!! So great to meet you (from a fellow Birminghamian! lol)
Your flowers are GORGEOUS!!! i love hydrangeas, although i've never done well with growing them (but my mother has a definite green thumb with them, so I can enjoy hers!)
Looking forward to checking in here often!

Jennifer said...

Your yard is amazing and so inviting. You have a talent for gardening that is much admired! My Aunt has saved me a copy of the Birmingham paper so that I can read the article about you. Can't wait! Have a beautiful week!
~Jen

Barbara said...

Thanks for visiting me and glad you like my garden.I enjoyed visiting yours and it is interesting to see same plants in different locations and different plants too.
People here ind it harder to keep their Hydrangeas blue unless they feed themwith the rights stuff the turn pink. Love the Stargazers but I cannot go near them as their perfume affects me badly. I used to have lots of lillies (actually grown from seed I collected from a friends garden in Kentucky) but after about 7 years (5 getting the seeds to flower and 4 growing and multiplying) I cleared the bed for more roses.

Betty said...

Gorgeous pictures. Your hydrangeas are dazzling!

Jen Kershner said...

Oh Rhoda, I love seeing what's blooming at your house. It all looks so lovely. I wish my yard looked that great.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Rhoda, those hydrangeas are stunning!! Mine are just now starting to bloom.

Rain?? what is that? We haven't had any for so long...it's water by hand and sprinkler over here in CA.
Love your garden, and your sister has a pretty darn nice one too!
Lidy