Wednesday, May 30, 2007

B'ham News Garden Redo Feature


Click to open pics: I got word from the newspaper that the Garden Redo feature would run on the Saturday we left for the beach, so I was so excited to check the paper that morning as we were leaving! Of course, I had to stop & buy extra papers to send my friends and family in Atlanta. I did take it with me to share with my 2 girlfriends that I caught up with at the beach & they thought it was very cool.
Here's my original post on this garden bed, if you'd like to see more pics: Garden Redo


Oh, I have to tell you the story about my 10-year old neighbor, Grant. He was the very first person we met after we moved in here. We were out in the yard just after moving in and Grant from next door showed up and introduced himself. His dad came over and met us too and we eventually met both neighbors next door, who are really sweet people. Grant has helped me out numerous times in the yard. He really did help me pull out those boxwoods, dug holes, watered, and whatever else he can help me with. His dad says he's not so good about helping him at home. He's a sweet kid though & helped us out while we were on vacation by watering our plants. Everyone else I've met in the neighborhood who have moved in after us has already met Grant first. That guy gets around! If everyone were that friendly, all neighborhoods would be the better for it. He looks like Opie Taylor too.


I had several folks at church on Sunday tell me that they had seen the article. I'm honored to make the paper again and will definitely frame these features in my office and hopefully use them on my decorating resume. It's just a fun little something to do! I don't think we ever had anything like this feature in the Atlanta paper, so I had to move to Birmingham for this to happen. My hubby is teasing me about being famous now, so I'll enjoy it and try to keep my head from swelling too much, LOL. :)

*****************************************************

I was tagged by Pat at Back Porch Musings. I was to pick up the book nearest me and turn to page 28, find paragraph 3 and write about that paragraph here. The nearest book was a magazine, Traditional Home, September 2006. The third paragraph is a question from the editors.....If money were no object, how would you remodel your current dwelling? They go on to list reader's comments on how they would remodel their homes. "Wish lists addressed both function & aesthetics, including everything from enlarging a ridiculously small pantry to designing a sublime gathering space for multitudes of friends & generations of family."

So, how would YOU answer that question? I think for me, it would be getting our deck turned into a screened porch. I have all my wicker furniture stored in the garage from my old sunroom & porch & would love to have a nice screened porch to enjoy during Spring-Fall. I know I would use that space a lot if I could snuggle up on my wicker couch & be outdoors all at the same time.


Have a great week!
Hugs,
Rhoda

Stumble Upon Toolbar

43 friends stopped by:

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
That is so great!! You have a lovely yard. What a nice boy your neighbor must be. How lucky for you.
Have a wonderful day!!
Rosemary

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Congratulations! Oh my, Grant had me laughing! "big ol' dump" LOL! It didn't look like that at all but you really made a huge improvement. It looks pretty and welcoming now! He sounds like a sweet kid and you look fabulous btw!

I wish we had a newspaper that did features like that here. Not even the Marietta newspaper?

If money were no object, I'd probably just tear down my house and start over! A screened in porch is at the top of my want list and an exercise room with mirrors, ballet barre & proper floors, I could go on and on!

Manuela

Debra from Bungalow said...

Wonderful makeover Rhoda! Wow you made the paper twice! You're a star!

I didn't nemtion how much I enjoyed your beach pix.It looked very relaxing, I've never been to the west coast of Fla. Hope I get there someday.

If Money were no object, I'd like a big front porch with a wicker swing and a sunroom too ! LOL


a chauffer. a maid........

Suzanne said...

Oh, we all need a friendly neighbor like Grant, how cute.
And congratulations on being featured in the article, your curb looks beautiful, and how smart of you to take a "before" photo! ( I always for get to do that!)

HMMMM?? I'm with Manuela, I'd level the house and start over. But, if my family wouldn't let me to that, I'd love to have a screened back porch with a small studio on the back of the house.

Suzanne

Sue said...

Rhonda,
Congrats on all your free publicity. You look so cute in the article and your garden is beautiful. B'ham is lucky to have such a talented lady willing to share her creations.
I'm with you on the screened in porch. That would be my, "if money were no object" desire. My basement is warehousing my old furniture too.
Sue
Life At Home

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Yes, you look great! Wonderful article and sweet neighbor boy...you are lucky (I mean...blessed)
I think I'd like to make my home into an old world storybook cottage!

Lizzie said...

Wow, how nice to be featured in your local paper- your yard must be truely amazing!

Thanks for visiting my blog and the sweet things you said about my entry yesterday. Its nice to know that my sentimental stories are appreciated. :-)

Deb said...

Congratulations! What a great story - Your neighbour sounds adorable (especially since you say he also looks like Opie Taylor):-}

Sandy said...

Hey Rhoda -- congrats on the article! How fun.
I went back and looked thru the pix of your "re-do" too.
We've been working a little in ours. But Monday we did a ton of batches of strawberry freezer jam, all from our strawberry patch!
Happy Wednesday!
Sandy
For Reluctant Entertainers

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Wonderful article and how nice of Grant to introduce himself and help you.

Susie Q said...

Congratulations on a wonderful article! You AND your garden look so lovely!
I could use Grant for a few days...I still have quite a few things to do in our garden! : )
I too would wish for a screened in porch...and new counters, flooring and tile back splashes in the kitchen. We are saving towards that end...
A powder room in the basement family room...of the list grows and grows!

Again, congrats on the article! : )

I know you are so proud!

Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Rhoda~ you are famous!
When I saw the article I thought...no way. I will have to rush home to pull it out of the recycling bin.

I loved you post on the gulf coast. I agree we have the most beautiful beaches in the world (our secret!!)

Sheila said...

Congratulations to you, and your 'helper' for a job well done.
It looks great. The roses are lovely..!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Congratulations on making the paper again! Your yard looks lovely. You and your helper Grant did a fabulous job. Oh to have neighbors like that.
On the money thing...I'd build my dream house up near Augusta where we have land and more importantly a studio/gallery. So nice to dream!

savvycityfarmer said...

First of all..let's get old business taken care of....uuuuuhhh the beach trip...I was drooling as I was viewing.....sounds and looks like a real dream...


Curb appeal....well...what do I say...you got it goin on!!!!
lovely, just lovely....I have the sister to that outdoor finial in the picture....the roses at the top part two.....where did you find yours?

Keep on keepin on

PAT said...

Rhoda, this is a great article! Everything looks beautiful.

How wonderful to have Grant to help out!

Pat
Back Porch Musings

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, congratulations on a wonderful article (and great photo of you, pretty one!). I am so glad that people appreciate your diverse talents.

That yard sale find is one of my favorites ever...if you and I had arrived at that sale at the same time, I'm afraid that there would have been a scene! ;) :)

Your garden is beautiful, and you (and your witty helper) have done a wonderful job on it!

Love,

Andrea

Rabbit Hill Creations said...

Hi Rhoda, just stopping by to say hello. Congrats on your article!...can you send Grant my way, I need help pulling weeds out here...lol. Toni

KLKinFLA said...

Great feature and beautiful yard! I think Grant sounds like a dear!

CG said...

You amaze me! Your house, your yard everything always looks so good!

Justabeachkat said...

Congrats Rhoda. Very nice article and I love the picture.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're famous - again! The plantings look beautiful.

We screened in our back porch and it was the best money we ever spent. I sit out there all day and evening. We can use it almost the whole year.

Marilyn in NM said...

Rhoda, congratulations on the article about your garden. You have done so much work on it and it sure looks beautiful. I especially love the roses. Wish mine looked that good. Grant sounds like a little character. And not only does your yard look beautiful but so do you! Great picture.

If money were no object, I would add on to my house and put a sunroom and a larger master bedroom with another bath. I've always wanted double french doors walking out onto my back patio from my bedroom. hmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your article!

How wonderful that little Grant was so helpful. He is an important fellow to aid in buildging community :)

Lana Manis said...

What an honor ~ and well deserved ~ to have your garden re-do featured.

Lana

Mrs. Preschool said...

This is the first time I've seen your blog and I LOVE it! Congrats on the newspaper article. Anyway if I could remodel my house, I would add a second floor and bump out the entire back wall. We bought a cottage and I love it for it's style but it's tiny. I'd likesome more space.

linda t said...

Oh Rhoda, what a sweet article and great pics!
What an honor! You certainly have a knack for decorating inside and outside. But then like you, I love my outdoor 'rooms' as much as my indoor rooms!

Tracey said...

Well, Miss Rhoda! You are quite the celebrity!

I'll have my people call your people next time I'm in Birmingham and we'll do lunch! ;-)

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

That is so great! You are a gardening celebrity! LOL

I just spent the last 15 minutes browsing your photos of your home..just lovely!! I love everything!

Heather

Jen Kershner said...

Rhoda- That is so wonderful! I'm just tickled for you.

I enjoyed the picutres from your vacation. I felt relaxed just looking at them!

OldBagNewTricks said...

Oh my, you really ARE famous! With such a beautiful yard and a fabulous adorable neighbor Grant. Lucky, hardworking you!

And if money were no object... I would hire a bulldozer... you get the picture.

Jenny

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Hi Rhoda- thanks for stopping by again! I really enjoyed reading your blog today, what a fun project that must have been for the two of you!!
Have a great weekend!!

Betty said...

Rhoda, so glad you came by and read the posting about Justin's Place. He is amazing.....Betty

Betty said...

Rhoda, Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Congratulations on appearing in the paper. How fun! Your little neighbor reminds me of a sweet little boy who lived across the street from me. Peyton was from Kentucky and he moved back there a year ago. We still miss him around here.
As for your question...if money were no object, I wouldn't live here. I'd have a cottage at the beach!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you about the article! It's wonderful to have your hard work rewarded by being in the paper. And your yard looks beautiful - and so fun that your neighbor helped you (kids always seem to like helping other people do things rather than doing the same things at home (not as much fun I guess :o)

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Mary said...

Way to go Rhoda - you certainly are famous now! Wish I had a neighborhood boy like Grant - could you ship him over to Raleigh for a while please? I really need help watering! We are desperate for rain after a week of 90 degrees - of course it will all come down at once in a deluge, probably when I'm on my Canadian trip in June!

Thanks for all your lovely recent comments - I'm so behind answering everyone due to having company. So glad your beach trip was fun - it looked like a beautiful area.

Simply Me Art said...

Congratulations Rhoda, that is Wonderful. Your Neighbor Grant sounds like he adds a little fun to the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

BIG ((HUGS)) for you Rhoda! I'm tickled pink over this WONDERFUL article on you and your amazing talents.. you deserve this so much! Congratulations!
xo,
Kim

Adriann said...

Congratulations to you! The garden looks fabulous. I found your site through Andrea and I love, love, love it!!!!

Blessings to you,
Adriann

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your article. it is so thrilling to see you get the media coverage you deserve. Your flowers and garden are a masterpiece.

best
wishes
Robin

Anonymous said...

How Wonderful! I love your gardens~ can I visit?

Lallee said...

I picture builder's boxwoods being ripped out all over Bama ;-) What a great article. Congratulations!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Hi there! I'm not sure how I found your blog but I just loved it!!! I love your home, it's just beautiful.....I also LOVE looking for neat things at yard sales and bargain stores. Your house is decorated beautifully, you have done an amazing job!! Thanks for sharing this article, how exciting!! Have a blessed day!!