Saturday, May 26, 2007

Back from Seagrove Beach!

We're back! WOW, what an absolutely fantastic week at the beach we had. Truly, the weather could NOT have been more perfect, nor the condo we stayed in. I found this condo online and rented directly from the owners. It was just outside Seaside in Seagrove Beach and was just perfect, nestled off the beaten path, with a nice view of the Gulf from our balcony. Everyday was gorgeous weather, not too hot or humid, but spectacular really. We couldn't have asked for more. You never know what you'll get when you rent a condo, but we were all pleasantly pleased and happy with our choice. It was beautiful furnished in a British Classics style (with neutral earthtones) and my friend said it looked just like me! We really, really relaxed and didn't do a lot of going. We enjoyed the beach everyday, went deep-sea fishing one day, State Park one day, but other than that, it was pretty relaxed and unbusy. Someone asked what books I read. I took several & finished up Lifeguard by James Patterson and got through one of my favorite authors, Nelson DeMille, his latest, Wild Fire. I love his books & this one was a great beach book!


One of my closest friends from Atlanta (Wanda & her hubby, Bill) met us there for 4 nights and then they were headed on to Disney World for the rest of their week. We all had a great time! We went deep-sea fishing one day, which was quite an experience. I've never done that before. My hubby, Peter, loves fishing and had a ball. We all decided to fish, although I wasn't too keen on baiting my hook with those slimy fish heads and squid parts, but I sucked it up & went for it. The guys did great and between all of us we caught about a dozen nice Red Snapper (and a couple of Jacks). My 18-yr. old stepson, Nick, ended up going with us at the last minute. Nick is going to the French Culinary Institite in NY at the moment & is a budding chef. He's up there learning the ropes, cooking in a nice NY restaurant and told us all about that experience. I know he'll do well. Anyway, he cooked fish for us 2 nights & it was fabulous! I've never caught fish much at all, much less took it home & cooked it before, but let me tell you...it's wonderful! We have a nice catch in the freezer now for more great fish dinners.

It was a great week for catching up with friends as well & we met up one night with an old college friend and her husband too. They live in the Panama City area and it was nice to catch up with them after 10 years. One of my very closest friends from Atlanta, Vickie, was also vacationing in the area with her family and we met up one day at St. Andrews State Park in Panama City. It's a beautiful place too. My guys took their fishing poles and had a great time and she and I hung out on the beach under the umbrella catching up. It was such a fun week!
And, last but not least, I got to meet up with one of our wonderful blog gals, JustABeachKat! She is just the most precious lady. We met up with Kat and George at their church, Seaside Chapel, on Sunday morning and it was a really sweet service. The church is just beautiful & we really enjoyed it. Kat told us how much they enjoy living down there and I can definitely see why...IT IS PARADISE!! Kat, I just checked your blog & see you mentioned our visit. Thanks, you're so sweet!
So, there's the recap! Enjoy the pics! I'm telling you girls, if you've never been the Gulf Coast beach (Panama City, Destin, Seagrove, Seaside, Ft. Walton), you are missing out on the best beaches around. It is spectacular scenery and truly paradise. Most of these beach pics were just outside our condo. The dunes are beautiful, the sand is powdery sugar white, and the water is the most glorious color of turquoise blue.
The first 2 photos will open bigger (still don't know why some do & some don't), so to get a great view of how truly spectacular these beaches are, open them up BIG!
My closest friend from Atlanta, Wanda, and her hubby, Bill, on the beach.
Me and one of my best friends from Atlanta, Vickie, at St. Andrews State Park. Don't you love how colorful we are? I love this pic...think I'll have to frame it!
It just doesn't get any better than this!
See the red flag? That means the waves & currents are rough.
The beautiful beaches! Me and my hubby, Peter, out for a morning walk on the beach.
Me, walking in the sand.


Shot from the fishing boat.
Sunset from the fishing boat.



Another shot from the fishing boat.
St. Andrews State Park
Me and Peter on the beach at our condo.
This is one of my favorite shots. This is the beach outside our condo.
Me & Peter again on a morning beachwalk.




Here's our condo....it was really pretty and we would definitely stay there again.
View from our balcony.
Another view from our balcony. The ocean breezes on our balcony were heavenly.
Our beach wasn't that crowded at all. I think this week was perfect...right before school is out and the rates are better too! Me and Kathy (Justabeachkat). She was so sweet & personable & I was so glad we got to meet up. And she is just gorgeous too...the beach really agrees with you, Kat!
My hubby, Peter.....the Angler. That man loves to fish. That was one of his main desires in going to the beach, to get to fish to his heart's content. Well, he did! See the string of fish they are holding up? That's what we all caught! The large fish catch is the whole boat's haul. I actually caught 3 Red snapper myself...I was pretty proud of that. The guys did really well. We so much enjoyed our fresh fish for dinner.
I made it out to take a couple of sunset pics....sunsets just don't get any better than on the beach. The last night we were there the sunset was perfect!
Isn't this just spectacular?!

Hope you all enjoyed going to the beach with me and I wish for you all to have a beach trip planned too! Sun and sand.....ahhhhh, it's the best for relaxation! I will be catching up with all of you soon too. Hope your week was grand! I've missed you all, but really enjoyed my break from the computer for a week. It'll take me forever to get caught up now! And guess what I'll be doing for awhile...yeah, laundry!!


xoxo,

Rhoda

Stumble Upon Toolbar

48 friends stopped by:

Nadine said...

What wonderful pictures, it's like being they. It's nice to go away and relax and enjoy.

KLKinFLA said...

Makes me homesick...I grew up in that area, and the beaches are the best in the state! Looks like you had great weather and beautiful water!

Sandy said...

Wow, that is some trip!
Beautiful pictures. I love the white sand.
Cute swim suit and looks like a blast with your friends.

I wish I would have been there for the red snapper DINNER! I bet it was to die for!

Welcome Home.
Sandy
For Reluctant Entertainers

Justabeachkat said...

Rhoda...I can't tell you how much I enjoyed getting to meet you. It was wonderful. Thanks for posting the photo. I copied it to my photo program. I'm so glad you had a good time. We do live in "paradise" and we try hard not to take it for granted. Please come back soon.

Hugs

Rosemary said...

Wow, what a great trip.
Sounds heavenly. The pictures are great, especially the beach babes.
Glad you had such a nice time. Missed your blog!
Have a great rest of the weekend,
Rosemary

Southern Heart said...

I've missed you!!! :) I'm glad you're back safe and sound!

I love seeing your photos, too....we have stayed in Seaside the last 5 years or so (when DS1 wasn't in So FL), and love it there. I'll bet you love going this time of year, before the big crowds hit. The beaches truly are a delight, and the people in that area are very hospitable and friendly.

Your condo is pretty, and I agree that it is "you". I loved seeing the photos of you, and your DH, and your sweet friends, too. I'm so glad that you and Kat were able to meet...she's a very pretty lady, too!

I'm glad that you're back. :)

XO,

Andrea

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, I meant Seagrove. (<--insert rolling eyes here :) DS1 is home, and we've been going and going!!...

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

Looks like you had a great trip relaxing with friends and family! Gosh, I'm ready to go on a vacation...so it was fun to live vicariously through your photos! Thanks for sharing.

Barbara said...

Such gorgious white sand and torquoise sea. Looks like heaven. I enjoyed the walk along the beach with you. So different to my part of the world. Come to my site and see a very different coastal scene at Leigh-on-Sea and Two Tree Island. Thanks for visitingme.

Tonja said...

Glad you are back with wonderful memories of the week. We have a house rented at Santa Rosa Beach in July...our family is going down for the week. I can hardly wait. Life is so peaceful there, and I just LOVE the sights and sounds and smells of the beach! Your pics make me wish it would come faster!
Glad you got to meet Kat...hope I can when I go.

smilnsigh said...

Ohhhh I most certainly did enjoy going to the beach with you!

It's been soooo longggg since we've been able to be on a beach. -sigh- Cape Cod always used to be an early Autumn destination. But eye sight issues have interfered, for some years.

But, we have our memories.

Keep making yours!!!!

Mari-Nanci

Tracey said...

I'm counting down the days! We're going down to Perdido Key on June 16th for a week! I can't wait!

So glad you got to meet Kat! I hope to catch up with her when we're down there.

Your pictures are just gorgeous and you look fabulous in every single one!!!

Glad you had a nice time!

Unknown said...

I looks amazing - truly like paradise. The beaches are so white and the water looks like it was so pristine! Lovely!

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your lovely vacation with us. I actually live in Virginia Beach, and when we go to Florida, we usually go to places on the Atlantic side, but I've heard of those sugary white beaches on the Gulf side and definitely want to get over there eventually.

Betty said...

Wow, Rhoda, you had quite a trip. I enjoyed hearing about it and all the fantastic picture.

We staye at 'White Caps' at Orange Beach earlier in the year on the Gulf Coast and thoroughly enjoy it.

Lord willing, we will go with all 14 of children and grandchildren to Amelia Island later in the summer for a week.

Glad you got to be with your friends....Betty

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Welcome home, Rhoda!
After seeing all of your lovely pictures, I think I need a beach vacation!

I completely agree...Gulf Coast beaches are the most beautiful! Pure white powdery sand and warm water.

Glad you had a good time.

Kimberly :)

Susie Q said...

What an amazing trip! What amazing photos! We were stationed in Pensacola twice so know this area well. The beaches here are superb! None better. The white sand is like sugar...
I know you had a fantastic time...it shows in your smile! You and your husband are such a great looking couple! Gorgeous!

Loved taking this trip with you through your pictures and words.

Missed you when you were away! Glad you are home safe and sound!

Hugs,
Sue

Sue said...

Your vacation to the beach is as inspiring as your decorating. Your pictures lead me to google Seaside Florida, what a great place, it's now on my wish list of places to retire.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please stop by again Your blog banner lead me to have Amy make one for me.
Sue
Life At Home

Lana Manis said...

Rhoda, I'm glad you had such a wonderful time and that you were blessed with such perfect weather.
My husband and I visited Panama City and Clearwater Beach years ago. I loved it!

Glad you are back though ~ I always enjoy visiting your blog.

Lana

Jill said...

Rhoda- I've vacationed in Seaside/Seagrove for 9 of the past 11 years. I love it so much and these photos were just beautiful. We're putting an addition onto our house this year in lieu of a "vacation" so I'll be hoping to return to the beloved beach next summer. This is the perfect time to go..the humidity hasn't set in yet. I'd love to know the name (or website link) of the condo you stayed at.

Deborah said...

I loved your colourful picture with your dolla friend. love always me P.S. if you loved that beach you should try our South African beaches they are the best!

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Your photos are beautiful! That area is unlike anything we have here in the U.K. sigh!! Thanks for visiting my new blog, and I'm so glad I stopped by yours too! I will visit often!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie:
I sure enjoyed your pictures. I also love that area of the Gulf. You and Peter sure looked happy and content. I'm happy you enjoyed your week.

Hugs,
Judy (in McDonough)

OldBagNewTricks said...

What fabulous photos -- thanks for taking us on your vacation -- I needed this. When I was in the Air Force, stationed at Keesler, we slipped off for a long weekend to Ft. Walton - which happens to be the same area where my Mom's favorite Aunt retired -- I have been there many times. Deep sea fishing is something I've never done -- your catch is amazing! Glad you are back.

Jenny

Anonymous said...

ahhhh the pristine sandy white beaches of my childhood! I use to visit 2 aunties in Pensecola FL as a kid...one of them lived right on the gulf (only a few steps from her stone house) I remember going with her to the market for 'fresh' lobster and shrimp..man that woman could cook! what a lovely time you've had! there is just nothing like the sand surf and sun to rejuvinate the soul! thanks for sharing all of those photos Rhoda! xo

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back!! Your vacation sounds so perfect. We've never been to any beach (well except Lake Lanier - but that doesn't count) since we moved to Georgia and your pictures really make me want to go! The beach looks fantastic and it's so great that it wasn't crowded. I wouldn't have wanted to bait a hook with squiggly things either. But I would have loved having that super fresh fish!

It sounds like a perfectly fun and relaxing vacation (how fun that you got to meet up with so many friends)!

Manuela

Marilyn in NM said...

Rhoda, you and Peter look like you were having a great time! I'm married to a fisherman, too, or at least he thinks he is....lol.
The sand is gorgeous, unlike anything I've ever seen, being a midwest & southwest girl and only having seen California beaches, which I love, by the way!
I'm so glad you're back and thanks for sharing such great pictures.

Suzanne said...

Rhoda~ sounds like you had a relaxing vacation, and what a beautiful place to relax!..and gorgeous weather too. Loved all of the photos. Laundry is not the fun part of coming home from vacation...but this vacation was surely worth it!

Suzanne

Naturegirl said...

Rhoda what a wonderful beach setting and It surely was a grand time for you I can see!I also was in Florida last week walking and enjoying the beach life..I agree it cannot get any better...the salt air..the waves..the
shell collecting..the soft sand underfoot..the lazy dazes of beachlife!!Loved all your photos!
Thank you for sharing!hugs NG

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Rhoda! I am SO glad you had such a wonderful time! Wow! That beach looks gorgeous! All of your pictures that you shared are terrific. Your condo looks perfect for a vacation too!
xo,
Kim

Betty Jo said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful and relaxing vacation. Thanks so much for sharing your gorgeous photos with us and making us feel a part of your trip. I can smell the salt air from here! Welcome home!! xoxo

paintergal said...

Looks like a great vacation!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

oh my, it's almost like we went!! ALMOST...glad you had such a great time, it looks divine.

We're glad you are back, missed you!
Lidy

Rabbit Hill Creations said...

Hi Rhoda, thanks for stopping by the blog. I absolutely love your bunnie pictures and your banner is just too cute!...welcome back anytime, I will be back as well to scope out all your rabbit collections. Toni

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda
So happy to hear what a great time you had. (Even though I'm still thinking about baiting those fish heads,yikes!)
Those beaches are so beautiful, and your pictures really showed them off.
Donna

Simply Me Art said...

Welcome Home, I miss those White Sand Beaches of the East Coast. We dont have that here in California. Your Pictures are Amazing. Glad you had a Good time. Jamie

Trudi said...

Hi Rhonda, Oh your pictures are just splendid. There's nothing like the beach. It's truly heaven on earth to me. I love the beach as you can tell from reading my blog. I haven't been able to go for some time, but soon...
Glad you had a good time. Love the pics.

PAT said...

I enjoyed your beach trip, Rhoda. Beautiful photos. Looks like ya'll had a great time.

Check today's (29th) Back Porch post. You've been tagged. Just a small one...easy peasey!

Pat
Back Porch Musings

Deb said...

Wonderful pictures! The beach looks amazing. The photos reminded me of a favourite movie "Something's Gotta Give":-}

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those lovely beach photos of your trip with us! It reminded me so much of home :)

Sandy McTier Designs said...

What fabulous pictures! Looks like you and hubby had a great time.

Lizzie said...

St. Andrews State Park in Florida???

Thats where my husband and I were married *blushes*

Your trip looks like it was full of R&R, and what nice weather you seemed to have!

Welcome Home!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,
I was looking at your home pictures. I saw a window that you had hanging in your laundry room. Please let me know how you hung that window. My sister, Sandy Mctier painted two windows for me and they have been just sitting on the floor. If you have a moment will you let me know.
Thanks,
Linda
dgagnon5@comcast.net

La Tea Dah said...

Oh, the beach is SO beautiful! The sand is pure white and looks like snow! I've never been on a white, sandy beach. The Pacific coastline has light brown beaches --- but I did see it white once. It was on our honeymoon and it snowed in the night. We woke up to snow all over the beach --- a rare thing and very pretty!

CG said...

Wow Rhoda..thanks for all of those gorgeous beach pics to make us all so jealous! My mom just got back from the Destin area and said the weather was perfect! Hopefully we will get to go this year again. Glad you had a great time!

Lallee said...

It sounds.....and looks like you had a wonderful vacation. That's the same kind I enjoy~relaxing and easy going. I'm glad your husband got some fishing in. And a chef to cook the the catch.....perfect.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Rhoda, it was so nice to look at your pictures and read about your trip...glad you had an enjoyable time! Welcome HOME!

Anonymous said...

Loved reading - and experiencing - your beach vacation, Rhoda. It sounds as perfect as it could be for all. That shot of the beach and bridge outside your condo reminds me of "The Summer of '42".

Living so near the beach here in Huntington Beach, I take it for granted too much and don't walk or bike there as often as I'd like. I'm going to spend more time there this summer, inspired by you!