Monday, June 11, 2007

Pepper Place Market in B'ham

One of my dear friends from Atlanta, Judy, decided she needed a little girl-time getaway this weekend and came over for a vist. I told her Friday night that we had a couple of yardsales to hit first thing Saturday a.m., so she was game (of course she wasn't surprised, she knows me well). We went to 4 that were nearby and Judy found a cute little garden plaque and I found only a couple of things...totally opposite end of the spectrum things, but I'm thrilled with them both.

This cute Harold's skirt was $5.00 & I couldn't pass it up (I get SO excited when I find bargains like this...let someone else pay retail & I get it for a pittance at their yardsale...she even let me try it on & it fits perfect!). And, on the garden tool side, I found a Black & Decker lawn edger for $6.00 right in my neighborhood at a sale. This was one little item that was on our list of must-buys one of these days, so I was tickled to find a used one so cheap. It appears to work too! I was just as excited about the lawn edger as I was the skirt. My hubby will put that edger to good use!
Next on the agenda, we headed down to the Pepper Place market, which is in an older part of town and used to be a Dr. Pepper plant. The old buildings now house some really nice antiques stores, with wonderful architectural items & we enjoyed browsing through the above store with all it's salvaged doors & fragments. Pricey, but much fun to look at!

This whimsical mosiac statue was outside the antiques stores in a courtyard area. I thought she was a pretty neat gal!
An old weathered bench planted all around beckoned for sitting...well, if you could get around the plants, that is.
Judy and me enjoying the sunshine. Oh, we got rain, glorious rain on Friday and we all did the Happy Dance! We need lots more, but will take what we can get. Judy lived in Texas for awhile and still has a big heart for that state.
Fresh hydrangea blooms were for sale. Those big mopheads are so pretty.
The main attraction on Saturday a.m.'s during the summer months is the Pepper Place farmer's market. The local farmers bring in their fresh produce and sell right from the back of their trucks. Get a load of these fresh veggies! Doesn't get any fresher than this!

Each Saturday, a local restaurant does a cooking demo for the crowd to watch and sample. It's fun to watch them cook. We missed the demo this a.m., but got there in time to sample the catfish "popsicles"...catfish on a stick. Only in the South! Those guys are the chefs in the background.
Alabama is known for growing peaches in Chilton County and these are fresh-picked straight from the trees to market.
Check out all these multi-colored plums...I love plums and bought a few plums and peaches.
This little guy enjoyed being strolled around by his mom and was eating a fresh peach. Isn't he a cutie?
Fresh sunflowers available for buying.
We had a fun girlie day and after the farmer's market, enjoyed a nice lunch at Miss Rosemarie's Tea Room & then caught a chick flick, Waitress. We weren't sure what to think of Waitress...sort of campy Southern comedy/drama. It was cute, but we were glad we didn't take our hubbies, they would have hated it. If you see it, let me know what you think too.

I sure thank the Lord for my friends. What would we do without girlfriends??

Hope you all had a nice weekend too & soaked up a bit of sunshine!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

35 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Hello Rhoda,
What a beautiful friend you are to take a friend around town. It looks like you gal's had a blast. Enjoyed the picks very much. I envy you when you get to go too yardsales LOL! :-) Not many here where we are. BUMMER! Happy Monday...Nicole from Cedar Creek Texas

Lana Manis said...

Rhoda, it sounds like you had so much fun! Great YS buys too!

Lana

PAT said...

Rhoda! Pepper Place looks like Pat's kind of place! B'ham is not so far from STL, right?

Great photos, loved the post!

Pat
Back Porch Musings

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it great to get some rain! Woo-hoo! And today we're suppose to get some too.

The Pepper Place Market sounds like a fun place to explore and all that fresh fruit looks so yummy.

$6 for the B&D is wonderful! I think soon the yardsales will slow down. It's already too hot to be out after 11 a.m.

Manuela

P.S. I just put up pictures of my guestroom. Let me know what you think.


Manuela

Suzanne said...

Wow Rhoda, you found some great yard sale items, that skirt is cute. And what a fun day with your girlfriend, and a fun place to visit. Those peaches look yummy!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

That skirt looks like you...pretty and fun!
The pictures are wonderful too...thanks for sharing.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Great pictures Rhoda. I love spending the day doing just as you and you friend did. We have tons of farmers marketes around here and you can always get the freshest produce.

That skirt is so cute...good score on the lawn edger too.

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Sounds like a great time.
Love the skirt. You have so many great things to do around where you live.
I really want to see that movie too.
Have a great day!
Rosemary

Justabeachkat said...

I'm so glad your weekend was fun too. I've never been to Pepper Place, but it sounds like my kind of place. Good finds too!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful jaunt -- and a wonderful friend to share good times! Gorgeous skirt -- LOVE the colors!

Jan x from a hot-and-sticky day at Rosemary Cottage!

Cindy said...

Sounds like a great day! Those hydrangeas are so beautiful!

willzmom said...

Cute skirt! I love the pictures of the produce and plants-those peaches make my mouth water. I'm looking forward to making some yummy peach cobbler soon!

sheila from life @ #17 said...

love absolutely everything you shared! I wish we had a lovely farmer's market here...I'd be a regular customer!

(love that mosaic sculpture, too...that would be a wonderful piece for my garden :)

Cape Cod Washashore said...

How cheerful! What a beautiful place you live in! I just love when old factories are turned into antique shops! There is one called "Cordage Park" (it used to be a rope factory) right near the Mayflower in Plymouth that has fancy shops inside now.

I LOVE that little guy and his peaches in the wagon!

Lizzie said...

Oh- can I come see you for a little girls weekend getaway? ;-) What fun the two of you had!!!

Those fresh fruits had my mouth watering- yummy!

It is a good cake I posted in my blog, try it sometime when you want an easy cake thats very good cold on these hot southern nights!

linda t said...

What a funfilled day with your girlfriend!
Thanks for the sharing all the pics! I truely loved them! The mosaic lady is a hoot!
Loved the fun, sassy skirt!

KLKinFLA said...

What a great weekend you had! Looks like so much fun. Send some of that rain our way!
Karen

Retroboutiques said...

Now that sounded like an absolutely perfect day!

Tracey said...

so glad you had a fun girlfriend weekend! I love those!

I have not been to the Pepper Place, but will have to check it out next time we're in town...not to mention getting together with you at The Cheesecake Factory... wanna split some cheesecake?

Tonja said...

I'm with Tracey. I haven't heard of this place, but I will check it out the next time I am in B'ham. Sounds like my kind of place...as is The Cheesecake Factory! :)
I always stop in Clanton on my way home to buy peaches when they are in season....nothing finer!

Thanks for sharing!

Simply Me Art said...

Wow, Those Hydrangea,Sunflowers and fruit looked amazing. Looks like you gals had a great time. A little Girl time sure does the body and mind good.

Deb said...

Your photos are always so gorgeous!
Looks and sounds like a wonderful time with your friend.

Lallee said...

What a nice weekend adventure with your friend. I agree~we all need those treats from time to time. I especially enjoyed seeing the mosaic garden girl. It looks like she had been working hard in the garden ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think I need to move to Birmingham! You have so many neat things there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda

You have been busy since I last had a chance to drop by! What a great way to spend your weekend and you found some great bargains too.

Marie x

Adriann said...

What a wonderful weekend you had. Thanks for the pictures. The fruit and vegetables looked delicious!

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

wow - what a great site. I found it through Nicki's blog. You ahve such incredible taste!!!

I would love for you to "do" my home!!! what a dream.

thanks for sharing your thoughts and deals!!

Leigh

Jill said...

Hydrangeas, peaches and a little sweet boy in a wagon... what more do you need??? Great photos!

Leah said...

Hi Rhoda ~

Found you through Jill's place tonight.

Do you really grow blue hydrangeas down there? I have never seen them in that color before, but they are beautiful! Wonder if you have to have a certain something in the soil? Hmmmm...

I'll be back to visit often!

~ Leah

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, what a fun time you two must have had! Pepper Place is a place I would love---your photos looked like a Southern Living spread! You and your friend looked beautiful in your photo, too! I'm so glad that you all had a fun girls' weekend!!

Love, Andrea

Susie Q said...

What a wonderful way to spend a day! Looks like my sort of place to be sure!
Sharing it with a good friend make it all the more special!

Love the skirt...those hydrangeas...the sunflowers! Rows of fresh Summer fruit are so pretty...nothing more pretty than that!


We saw Waitress 2 weekends ago.
It is different but we liked it.
A very *indie* film for sure!



Hugs,
Sue

La Tea Dah said...

Wonderful week-end, adorable skirt! I would love to hear more, more, more about the lovely sounding tea room you had lunch at. Any photos? I'm always game for tea room pictures!

LaTeaDah

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Oh I could feel the excitement jumping off of your blog on your ever so cute find with that skirt!! I get the same way whenever I find something at a yard sale that is just amazing!! I'll also be checking out your store......looks like a great thing!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't stopped in for a few days~ you have been busy!

I love to wander around Pepper Place. We have sold WhistleStop stuff there several times. I much prefer to see things than to sell things. (maybe this is why we don't go back very often!)

I hope you took some of those hydrangias home!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time you two must have had! Loved seeing what all you did - what an awesome market! Adorable skirt too!
xo,
Kim