Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Baked Red Snapper & Blackberry Cobbler

Remember all that fish we brought home from the beach? Well, I thawed some of the red snapper out last night & we had the most delicious dinner ever. My hubby was born in New Orleans & loves Creole cooking, so he suggested I make the fish in that style: drizzled with a little olive oil, salt & pepper, covered with diced tomatos, bell pepper, & onion & baked in the oven wrapped up in foil. I added a little fresh dill that we have growing in our little garden & it was absolutely yummy! I sauteed the pepper & onion a bit before I put it on the fish. This is how it looked right out of the oven.
Some rosemary red potatoes & steamed broccoli & it was a meal!

Take a look at these pretty blackberries. Peter found some wild blackberries growing in the woods that borders our neighborhood & has been watching them ripen for a few weeks. He went & picked them in the last couple of days with the request that I make a blackberry cobbler. Y'all, I've never made cobbler ever in my life (and you thought I was a total Domestic Diva?!). So, I did what any self-respecting Southern girl would do....I called my mama, who is the best Southern cook ever & she gave me one of her cobbler recipes. This would work for any fruit you want to use with it. This is about as easy as cooking gets, folks!
Fruit Cobbler:


Melt 1 stick butter in dish. Mix the following ingredients & then add to the butter. It was pretty buttery, so next time I will probably use only 1/2 stick butter.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk (I used 1/2 Half & Half & 1/2 Skim milk) We don't drink whole milk.
1 cup sugar (mom says she uses Splenda, but I didn't try that yet)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups fresh berries or fruit

Mix all ingredients together, I used a whisk to get the lumps out. Pour over butter (I mixed it all in with the butter too). Add the fruit on top. Bake for about 45 min. at 350* until brown on top.
This is the berries on top of the mixture before baking.
See how it bakes up around the berries....It was so gooey & good.
Strange how some of the berries ended up reddish, when they were all mostly black to start with. Blackberries are a little tart, but it's a good combo. I'd like to use peaches sometime too, but this is definitely not a low-fat dish. We loved it!


Have a great week!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

The fish looks great. You make your cobbler like I do...look delish!

Pat

Lacy said...

it all looks wonderful...I might make the cobbler for Father's Day!!!..thanks for sharing!!..Lacy

Betty Jo said...

Snapper is my favorite fish and yours looks awesome, and so does the berry cobbler. Congrats on getting your store launched. I'm still working on mine and want to paint some rose pieces before opening for business. I've now started a food blog too! So much to do with so little time!! xoxo

violetlady said...

Rhoda, my mouth literally watered when I saw those blackberries. I used to pick wild blackberries and make pies, but haven't done it for years and years. I will definitely be trying your cobbler recipe.
I'll be checking out your on-line shop. Good luck. I always thought that would be fun to do. I once had an e-bay store.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Rhoda, I have that very same cobbler recipe and use it lots in the summer for any fruit...just adjust sugar amounts to your taste.

Fish looks delish too.


The link for your shop didn't work....too many http//......but I got there and checked it out. What a great idea! Good luck. I will be really interested to see how this works out for you since I am such a yardsale junkie and find so many treasures out there.

Justabeachkat said...

Oh no...now I'm hungry! (Nothing new though. I'm ALWAYS hungry.) I use that same cobbler recipe. It's so easy and good. I love fish, especially grouper, so I'll have to try it this way soon.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Both recipes look divine -- and I still call my mum when I need cooking tips too! LOL! And the shop idea looks great -- and you find the best things at yard sales so it should be a roaring success!!

Jan x at Rosemary Cottage