Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Happy 4th of July!

Brownies that I'm taking to a get-together this evening. This is a from-scratch recipe that is always a treat. Made with cocoa powder, I almost always have the ingredients on hand for a pan of these delectable brownies.

Brownies:

1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. cocoa
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup cooking oil

Mix oil, sugar, add eggs one at a time & vanilla. Mix with flour, salt, cocoa & baking powder. Add 2/3 cup nuts (if desired). Bake at 350* for 20-30 min. until done.

Chocolate Icing:

1/2 stick butter (melted)
1/2 box powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. cocoa
3 tbsp. milk or 1/2 & 1/2
Chopped pecans

Melt butter in microwave, add milk & other ingredients. Stir until creamy & spread on top of cooled brownies. Let set before cutting. This recipe makes half of a 11x13 pan. I doubled the recipe for this standard sized glass baking dish.

Enjoy!!

Hoping you all have a wonderful 4th of July with your families & friends. We are off to American Village tomorrow to check out their patriotic activities & look forward to celebrating this wonderful Independence Day in a very special way, ending with fireworks.
Thought I'd leave you with some beautiful pictures of patriotic porches all decked out for the 4th of July.
Have a wonderful day & eat some watermelon for me!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 friends stopped by:

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

Mmmmm...... those look delish! I love brownies, and this looks like it's made with things I usually have on-hand too. Uh-oh!! ;)

Betty Jo said...

Oh gosh! I could just sit and pick everyone of those pecans off your wonderful brownies and be tickled with them. I sooooo love pecans. Those porches are awesome too. Have a wonderful 4th celebration. My hubby has to work so we'll be celebrating on Thursday. xoxo

Susie Q said...

Delicious brownies! I copied it and thank you for sharing such a treat with us!

The porches look so fresh and lovely. Red, white and blue is a glorious combination!

Happy 4th dear Rhoda!
Hugs,
Sue

Justabeachkat said...

As Rachel Ray would say "Yum O"! I just might have to try this recipe...soon.

Hope you have a wonderful and safe 4th!

Hugs!

Kat

Tracey said...

Those brownies look delicious! Nothing better than making 'em from scratch!

Happy 4th to you too!

sheila from life @ #17 said...

having to laugh at Betty Jo's comment :) because I'm a bad Nut Picker Off of Cakes & Such too...I'm afraid I can't make those brownies...too much temptation in this house!

Happy 4th :)

KLKinFLA said...

Happy 4th! I'm sure those brownies will last about 3 minutes at your party!

Tonja said...

Happy 4th, my friend! I gained weight just by looking at those brownies! They look wonderful!

Have a good one!
Tonja

Suzanne said...

Happy 4th! Love the photos of the porches.

"Maggie & Kevin" said...

Brownies are my favorite, thanks for sharing and love these photos!

Michelle said...

Happy 4th to you!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Rhoda your food always looks so delicious! Will have to try this too! I enjoyed the patriotic photos - very inspiring and fun! Have a great time tonight and enjoy the fireworks! We are going to a neighborhood social. They are always fun!
xo,
Kim

Rosemary said...

YUMMY!!
Have a wonderful time.
Love the pictures too!!
Rosemary

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Mmmmm, watermelon! I could eat an entire one myself. :)

Anonymous said...

I do like my brownies with nuts! Yours look yummy! Have a fun 4th!

Manuela

Mrs.E said...

Been enjoying you many posts. Thank you for the bacon tool tip and for the scrumptious brownie recipe. Can't wait to give it a try.

Hope you have a Happy 4th in the company of your loved ones :)

Adriann said...

The brownies look yummy! Hope you enjoyed your 4th. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Hope you had a wonderful 4th July! The photos are smashing!!

PAT said...

I love those porches!! I'm considering redoing our room at the lake, to a more cottagey/seashore look, from the BC look it's had the past 4 years. These porch pics are great inspiration!

The brownies look delish...I've decided to "give up" chocolate for awhile :-(...

Pat

Sue said...

Oh Rhoda, that brownie recipe looks delicious. I'm coming back later and writing it down.
Sue

"Maggie & Kevin" said...

Oh my goodness, could you please send me the color of paint again. For some reason I lost your email and I wanted to go look at the color today! So sorry... :)

Steph said...

Thanks for posting the brownie recipe!I'm always looking for a new one to try and I made yours this afternoon... they are delicious!