Monday, July 2, 2007

Weekend Yardsale Finds

Here's the oil painting I found a couple of weeks ago. It didn't sell in my shop, so I took that as a sign that I should keep it! It's not a great painting (came from a Starving Artists sale according to the sticker on back), but I think it's lovely & I already had a frame sitting in the closet that fit it, so how serendipitous is that? So, I found a spot in the upstairs hallway & really like how it looks. This frame was too bright gold, so I toned it down with some Raw Umber paint. Works wonders!

So, the good thing about going out & shopping yardsales is that I get first dibs on what I want to keep, right? I'm sure it won't come as any surprise that I managed to find a few things that I just had to keep for myself once again. As happenstance would have it, I went to an estate sale over the weekend....sorta pricey, but I did find a few neat things. One being this Lenox vase in a pretty soft aqua blue, which if you've been reading along with me for too long, you know that I have a little collection of this color going in my den entertainment center. I don't have room for much more now, but this sweet little vase really is a nice addition for $6.
It's in perfect condition & the color is so yummy.
It really flows & looks great with all the other aqua pieces I've lucked out & found. Also found the bamboo easel for $1.00.
Another piece to add to my creamware pottery collection, a pretty platter from a pottery in PA, stamped on the back. I'm going to work on those shelves this week & hope to get these all in place soon. This was $1.00.

3-tiered bamboo plate holder. I almost gave this one up to my store, but at the last minute, held onto it. It's just so pretty & I love bamboo stuff....and it was only $5.00. I'll show you where it ends up later.
This sweet little vintage painting was $2.00 and has the sweetest story on the back about a Lt. in the Army who was stationed in France during World War I & painted this little painting. From the description on the back, this little lady watered her geranium every day & placed it on the wall. After an air raid, the Lt. noticed that the pot was broken, so he replaced it & watered it & put it back on the wall. The little lady came out & part of the paper is torn, so I can't really read it all, but it looks like she looked toward the sky & noticed it was raining & that her geranium was fine...something to that effect. Anyway, I thought it was facinating, so I have to find a neat little spot for this one! Can't read the date it was painted, but whoever wrote this note on the back got it in 1962. Isn't that cool?
I have added a lot of new things to my little shop, so I hope you'll all go by there & take a look. I am going to have to slow down from bringing so many things home & will probably not keep adding a lot more until I get some of these items sold.

You all seem to enjoy my yardsale finds, so I'll keep sharing them with you! Thanks to everyone for stopping by.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

23 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Rhoda......

Oh what a sweet story...sometimes it's fun, when missing a piece of the story to use our imaginations, we can make our own happy endings. Great finds, I especially love the vase.

Have a wonderful 4th !!!

Kathy =)

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Good Morning, Rhoda!
Lovely finds. The vase is a great addition in your den. The little oil painting is really darling. Hope you had a great weekend.
Donna

Adriann said...

What a wonderful painting you found and with such a great history behind it! Great treasures you have found. I'm off to your store to check out some goodies for me...

KLKinFLA said...

Hi, Rhoda
Love your finds...that arrangement with the vase is pretty! Hope you had a nice weekend.
Karen

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
I love your yardsale finds. They are great. The little painting and the story is so great!
I think that you really lucked out.
Happy 4th of July,
Rosemary

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh Rhoda...I really really need to follow you around...you find the bestest things!

Debra from Bungalow said...

The aqua vase is perfect in your collection and that's such a sweet story about the little painting...makes it all the more valuable too.


Love all your finds a usual. I did not do good at all this weekend, maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind! All I got was a nice vintage suitcase for $1 and a little jewelry box with leopard print on top.

Always next weekend, ya can't strike it rich everytime! LOL

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I'm always amazed at what you find! That vase is sooo perfect for your collection. That's such a sweet story, I would have had to bring that painting home too just for that. O.K. I'm off to view your fabulous store to see what's new!

Manuela

Southern Heart said...

I love your weekend finds! Your vase is perfect for that spot, and definitely your color (and let me know if you ever want to sell that bamboo easel...not that I'm soft for bamboo or anything ;) I loved the sweet story you shared, too!

I'm glad that you're having fun with your shop!

Love, Andrea

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, did you leave any treasures for anyone else to find? :) Beautiful!

savvycityfarmer said...

Just started collecting landscapes...AND bamboo is hor here in the midwest.

It's a Mom Thing said...

I do like seeing and hearing about your treasures at the beginning of each week. You find some great stuff. It's fun, especially when I can't actually get out myslef. At least I know someone got some good stuff. :)

Justabeachkat said...

Wow...love both the vase and the painting with the sweet story behind it. You amaze me with your finds.

Hugs!
Kat

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Hi Rhoda,

I love the vase, your aqua colors are so pretty! Hope you are doing well in the little shop...this will keep you out there shopping those great sales!
Happy 4th! Lidy

Julie said...

Love the creamware and the Lenox vase!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Lizzie said...

Your display of aqua china pieces mixed with seashells is so pretty- what a restful and serene collection you have going, and with such a good price on the vase!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda....You have such luck finding the nicest things in yard sales. Love the vase and the bamboo easel! for just a buck!!! My GOSH!!!! Awesome finds and see you already found a home for most of them. Enjoy your blog when I visit. Happy Decorating!!!

nicole, Cedar Creek Texas

Tracey said...

Hey Rhoda,

I've been frequenting your shop and I see something I want, like that seashell bowl, and the iron cross and then I see "Sold!" on it!

Arrgghh! You tease! By the way, if I wanted to purchase something, how do I do it? I can't click on the item, do I just send you an email?

Love all your stuff---keep adding to your store sista! A nice 3-tier bamboo plate holder would be a wonderful thing in your store!
;-)

Keep on shopping!
Tracey

Anonymous said...

Rhoda
I adore your finds and especially the vase. Any variety and colour of flower will look wonderful in it. Such a great post.

Love Cherry xx

Lana Manis said...

You always have the neatest finds Rhoda ~ and that vase is beautiful.
Lana

Sandy said...

Again, I love all of your finds, Rhoda! Fun stuff.
Glad you get to hear Paul. We went to Chicago last Fall and interviewed with MidDay with Anita, live, for our Married but not Engaged book!
Happy 4th to you!
Sandy

Lallee said...

Happy 4th to you, Rhoda. Loved reading the story behind the painting. Wonderful goodies you found again. Between you and Andrea it must be bamboo at sales! The new vase looks beautiful in your cabinet~definitely needs to stay in your stash ;-)

Lallee

Sue said...

Looks like you had another successful yardsale trip. Love the pictures and the bamboo tiered rack. A lot of bamboo in blog land lately, so cool.
Sue